If I use tarot cards for in character purposes, is it still me using magic? would I be a heretic if I do so?

if I use tarot cards for in character purposes, is it still me using magic? would I be a heretic if I do so?

Suffer not the witch to live

DEPENDS
ON
THE
FUCKING
SETTING

I don't think there is anything inherently magical about tarot cards. All magic is based upon communicating with spirits/demons, since we do not actually have that power of ourselves. So handling cards as part of playing a role is probably fine. You could even play a witch in a film, I think: it isn't the props that make a witch, after all.

Chaos Magic focus, bruv.

Is it just the character using the cards or are you using the cards?

If you're using the cards IRL (even if just pantomining) it would be the iffy area that some would call a "proximate occasion of sin" and therefore spiritually dangerous.

Can you prove it's not magic?

Tarot cards are so ambiguous, so that it's really hard to prove that they are or that they are not magic, so when the chips are down and you've got to prove your innocence, you're fucked.

no but like real life. like would it be a sin, cause the broble says pretty explicitly not to do magic. tarot is sorta magic i think?

Yes, Tarot is considered witchcraft by most Christians. Something that should be avoided as much as reasonably possible.

If it worries you, just make up a deck of random bullshit as your RP prop instead of an actual tarot deck. For example, your character can use an imitation Deck of Many Things.

Depends on the denomination

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, unless you are a Unitarian universalist. I don't think those guys are even christians?

Or a poker deck.

Well, you'd be turning to some non-Godly power, which is generally frowned upon.

Oh I get it. You're pretending to be retarded. You're pretending you're someone who legit thinks he'll be committing IRL sin by using Tarot in game. Nice touch with the no caps and conversational style btw, makes you look stupider and slightly more believable. Even so, a 2/10 is the best I can do.

Now fuck off. I don't want to see you embarass yourself with futile damage control. Just leave.

No, they aren't, though they use some of the terminology. Unitarian Universalism was invented to sell religious credentials with no barrier to entry, so you can do weddings and the like without actually learning any religion.

Why not just boat on out to international waters if you want to do that?

Nevermind, google tells me this is a myth.

Its perfectly fine to do it in the game as a character. UNLESS you are consulting the tarot as a method of metagaming like asking Satan where the treasure is hidden.

It's only heretical if you use it for legitimate, IRL divination I think, but that's really between you and God, m8.

Dude the Tarot is the least of your worries, haven't you read Dark Dungeons? Don't you know using your imagination and role playing a fantasy character are basically Satanism?

Depends on your sect.

>Unitarian Universalism was invented to sell religious credentials with no barrier to entry, so you can do weddings and the like without actually learning any religion.

Can vouch, I'm a ULC minister.

Why don't as many RPGs let real life magic systems I form their magic systems?

Chaos Magic is pretty interesting.

Tarot cards are not magic in the slightest. Italians, who are some of the most religious and superstitious Europeans on the continent play games with them.

You're safe.

sin is in the intent.

also the throwing of lots is used by the 11 living disciples to find the replacement for judas. so the use of dice or other types of lots should be fine.

the only sin possible in this is if you believe the cards themselves have the power, and doing that is definitely a sin.

there are some legitimate unitarian universalists, but they are more like off brand Hindus

Is it still 40$ for the license ?

Tarot was made by fucking Catholics in the first place.

At what point did it become heretical to use their own fucking invention?

>All magic is based upon communicating with spirits/demons, since we do not actually have that power of ourselves.
Not how Tarot works.

The same way that worshiping Jesus (something invented by a Jew) is considered heretical to other Jews?

>i do magic nao

Maybe in the Penn & Teller sense. If magic was real, anons like OP sure as Hell wouldn't be shitposting on Veeky Forums. They'd be too busy sucking their own cocks and thinking about their last two wishes.

Tarot is literally a playing card game invented in medieval southern France that bored english aristocrats decided must have magic properties because it comes from a strange exotic land where people do thinks like dance, fuck and have fun.

Pretty sure that there's a rule somewhere that states "all magic comes from god."

Which means that accusing others of witchcraft was heresy, since the devil wasn't strong enough to grant people power.

>if I use tarot cards for in character purposes, is it still me using magic?
The cards themselves are not magic or evil if you bought them in a store.
If they are second hand, they may be tainted with "the evil magicks" and you might want to avoid them.
If you are playing a game with the cards, you are playing a game and not doing magic and are fine.
If you are doing "evil magick rituals" with them or doing actual readings, then you are "using magic".
If that is frowned upon in your religion, repent you heathen.

>would I be a heretic if I do so?
DUDE.
You are asking this question on Veeky Forums.
You're fucked.
Pretty sure your soul is forfeit by now.

>Pretty sure your soul is forfeit by now.
Well OP posted Christ, and in Christianity that's a given for everyone.

Tarot cards are not magic in themselves, same way a pocket full of bat shit isn't magic despite it being a component of fireball.

Ordained minister here.

Tarot cards are simply cards with illustrations, nothing more. You are not using them as anything but a prop. Even if you do readings with them, in character or out, the sin would be in claiming you can see the future and fleecing people of their money for any reason beyond mutual amusement.

Even if you do believe a few slips of mass-produced cardboard wield evil satanic magic...
Just buy your own deck for yourself. Then it will be powerless.

Tarot cards are the standard playing cards in Italy, one of the most Catholic countries in the world.

You're not a heretic for using tarot cards. You're a heretic because you think an inanimate object with no blessings or curses placed on it can still somehow be evil by its own soulless nature.

Man, what? Are you some kind of monotheist? You're a heretic for thinking spirits aren't all over the damn place.

Of course they're all over the damn place. But that's independent of the objects we use unless there exists some sort of association of spirits via curses or sacramental assignment.

>Well OP posted Christ, and in Christianity that's a given for everyone.
True enough.
But if there's a sliding scale, Veeky Forums denizens have got to be on the crusty bit.

Where do you think they live? Of course they're in objects, including objects we use-- especially old ones.

>the broble
Pretty sick theology, dude. Here's a tip - negging works on angels like you wouldn't believe.

I've been having some trouble keeping the faith, though - my boss won't let me keep wearing pink polo shirts on the job, even though it's a sacrament. How do I make it work?

>Are you some kind of monotheist?
...Yes?

Now you're being awfully specific. My source is Thomas Aquinas and Catholic mystics. What's yours? Demon worshippers or Pentecostals?

Don't worry about it if you're playing D&D, you're already a heretic after all.

Yes, that's sorta why I like when deck of illusion/many things also requires just a normal deck of cards.
Though Tarrot itself is a fun card game that you can play with old french/italian Catholic men, drinking the good shit while doing it.