I´m kinda afraid to be a troll right now but i dont understad why this is so expensive, I really dont...

I´m kinda afraid to be a troll right now but i dont understad why this is so expensive, I really dont, i mean the models are nice and iguess the plastic is good but is way to little content for such a high price, why is that?

I think this a fun game and it deserves some money but not that much, mostly because you get a set of ultramarines and if you fuck them painting that money its just gone on a shitty painted figure

and besides, with 3D printing you can sorta make them yourself right? if you can customize them sure you can do them from scratch somehow

I´m not saying you should use your money in something else, but is kinda sad that games workshop doesnt allow more people to get their stuff this way

If you screw up the paint just strip it and redo it.

It's not hard.

oh, well thats one issue behind

Stop being poor.

As for the others, Decent 3D printing requires your own printer (not at all cheap for one who's quality even remotely approaches that of GW's stuff), and 3D models to work from (unless you can find good ones floating around the internet, you're going to have to make your own and that requires a whole new set of expensive skills and equipment).

I mean, you *can* order High-quality prints from shapeways, but at that point you're paying more than you would for official GW stuff anyway.

No, GW isn't cheap, and no it's probably not reasonably priced for what it is; but short of buying from another range like Kings of War, the alternatives are not much better.

Cheap chinese recasters are great, though. That shit's A-OK.

Yeah you're pretty much right on most of that, but most of us here are addicted to plastic heroin and can't turn back. Just save yourself user.

nah just stop being impatient, i'm poor as fuck (uni student with only a part time job who has to spend most of his money on rent) and I can comfortably afford 40k

It takes like ~5 hours to paint a mini to a great standard, if you buy infantry from GW they're usually about $6/piece, $6 for 5 hours + however much you pay for it is more than kosher for me. It's way less if you buy from ebay & strip/disassemble, or buy from chinamen. just treat every model like a canvas as a way to express your creativity.

the problem comes when you just want to buy riptides/wraithknights to field the latest FOTM army as a grey tide, which is your own ufkcing fault and also your own punishment because 40k is definitely not a competitive game.

> i dont understad why this is so expensive

Every plastic sprue requires a metal mould to be cast specifically for it. This is extremely expensive, and while it costs very little to make each sprue afterwards, there's a huge start-up cost to recover per plastic kit. So these products are never going to be cheap.

However, GW is an incompetent, greedy company that's been bleeding its customers for years now. Cutting the number of models in a box by half while simultaneously raising the price is not unknown. Yearly price hikes are expected and tolerated by its surviving customers. So while GW's products definitely fall into the luxury category and are always going to be a bit on the pricey side, the suits running the business have pushed that beyond the point of absurdity.

It's expensive because it's a niche hobby.

>with 3D printing you can sorta make them yourself right?

Not to the same quality as you would get if you just bought them.

>and besides, with 3D printing you can sorta make them yourself right? if you can customize them sure you can do them from scratch somehow
the technology isn't there yet

3d printing is still very expensive, very slow, and the quality is dubious for small scale models.

Truthfully GW isn't always as expensive as you think, just more than you'd like.

Reaper is cheap right? 7-9 dollars for a metal models? So why is a box of ten space marines for 40 dollars expensive? Surely 4 dollars a model is cheaper then 7-9 dollars a model?

Furthermore, why is a 350 dollar PS4 that comes with one game OK, but 200 dollars for hobby supplies and a starter box too much? Both are purely for entertainment, so the argument of "but it is higher tech product!" is pretty pointless, since it doesn't improve your life more than the entertainment it provides.

Well, cultural perceptions play a lot into it. We don't think about the huge costs of producing high quality injection molds. Many salty GW haters consider the models unbuilt and unpainted to be a disadvantage, but desu modeling and painting is the majority of the hobby, not the other way around.

some of it as well is that by in large the middle class is poorer now than they used to be, but that horse died over a decade ago, so let's stop beating it.

I don't understand how so many posters on Veeky Forums get sticker shock at 40k. Do you guys not have jobs or something?

$50 to $100 for toys you buy for your own pleasure should not flabbergast a working adult. It's not like you're paying $1,000 for electricity or something.

this, but I don't know why they don't get the same sticker shock over a 60 dollar video game

Also I know people who say 40k is too expensive that have spent thousands of dollars on MtG, or f2p vidya gaems etc.

I used to think hobbies like vidya, M:tG, or 40k was expensive. Then I got into cars.

I know a guy whose hobby is building a racing a car around a track. I don't even want to know how much he spends a month on it, but he and his wife have a double income making at least 200k annual between the two of them, yet they live in a small apartment. That money has to be going somewhere.

Just never get into boats or airplanes and you'll be Ok.

If you really compare, wargaming is one of the cheaper hobbies out there.

Almost every sport hobby involves a shitload of initial cash for equipment, for example, and automotive hobbies and the like are similarly extremely expensive.

How much do small personal planes tend to cost?

Just the money it takes to replace brake pads, tires, gas, fluids, and expense to and from track costs a lot. Sticky track tires or slicks cost above $500 per set and misc expenses will be $200+.

Indeed. It's just that the end product gets stigmatized as "playing with toys" so people view the high cost as something childish or "not a real hobby" in comparison to something like a sport hobby. Speaking of toys, has anyone seen how much toys in general cost these days? It's ridiculous.

I've also seen strong arguments about entry level versus not

Let's say you wanted to get into fishing as a hobby, so you went up to a Bass Pro shop and bought a rod, some line, and a lure, hooks and stuff (I don't really know much about fishing) and you went down to a nearby park and bought a 1 day fishing license. How much will you have spent? sure a fair amount, but if it exceeds 300 I'd be surprised.

Compared to wargaming as a whole, you can buy an X-Wing starter kit for 40 dollars. Even if you go for 40k and pay GW prices, ~200 can get you a DV box, a hobby starter, and some other goodies, and if you buy from 3rd party you money will go further.

On the other end of the spectrum you can be like my uncle, who owns a houses in both Hawaii and Alaska, owns a very large boat, and gets a commercial independent fishing license every summer so he can fish when he isn't working. I'd be very surprised if he's spent less than 200000 dollars on fishing all things considered.

You would have a very hard time spending 200000 dollars on 40k.

What I don't understand is the people who say 40k has a high entry cost. Nigger just buy a box of 10 guys and convert one into an HQ and play kill team or 250-500 points.

These morons would rather play Warmahordes or Infinity and pay $100 for 10 models just because 40k is $50 for 10 models. Where's the sense in that?

All my hobbies are playing with toys though. Electric guitar? It's my musical toy and I play with it. Car? It's my track toy. Girlfriend? She's my sex toy.

It's not like professional sports aren't just a bunch of dudes playing a game with a toy ball anyway.

Yea, RPGs and Wargames are really low impact hobbies.

About the one major disadvantage is they often have really poor turn around rates compared to some of the other stuff. Lot harder to sell a 40k army at an acceptable loss than, say, a well kept sports bike or the like.

I mean, hell, I'm getting back into Triathlons, 90% of which involve me doing shit myself, and the cheapest bike I could find that wasn't total ass was 200 bucks, a pair of running shoes that will last more than a year cost me 120, and join costs for even the city pool is like 150 bucks for 6 months.

The problem is that most people play at the big point costs, so if you want to get more than the occasional game in, you want to be up there as well.

Action figures used to be $5-15. Now they're $15-35. Groceries used to cost $25-50, now they cost $75-100. Gas used to cost $10-20. Now it costs $20-30 and at one point cost $50+. Coffee and soda used to cost $0.25 to $0.75. Now they cost $1.50 to $5.

The only thing that never inflates is the dollar store.

>It's not like professional sports aren't just a bunch of dudes playing a game with a toy ball anyway.
>a multibillion dollar industry around people chasing a leather ball around a field is ok
>a 50 dollar box of plastic army men is not

It's just about what's socially acceptable and the believed benefits.

Also, I wouldn't really define a relationship with another person as a toy analog.

>>a 50 dollar box of plastic army men is not

BUT IT USED TO BE $35 FOR TEN AND NOW IT'S $50 FOR FIVE!!!

while many models have increased in price, basic space marines have stayed consistent with inflation for over ten years, yet the quality of the models is better than ever.

I wish this was true of all their models though.

Easy. A $60 title can last you several hundred hours, so long as you pick the right game. My personal examples:
Space Engineers. $25.00. 745 Hours played.
Xcom EU: $60.00: 344 hours played
TF2: $30.00 before FTP: 585 hours played
Supreme Commander: $60.00+$60.00 expansion. over 1000 hours played.
Fallout 4: Never bought or played it but you all know the time-sink jokes about Bethesda games.

1 Leman Russ. $50.00. About 10 hours of painting (Im slow) and a few games no more than 2 hours each.
Space Marines: $40.00s. According to an user, 5 hours*10 marines+however many games you play with them*time of each game.

So if you find the right video game, your getting a MUCH better dollar value than Warhammer 40k. Of course, this is based purely on free time wasted painting/playing. Some people might take more pride in just having the models the way COD players take pride in their prestige levels. Or maybe your getting a couple games a week and have managed to build up an equivalent number of hours to a video game.

Doesn't make the fact that I've spent more time playing Dawn of War than painting my models and playing the tabletop combined.

>he plays his video games a lot
>he doesn't play with his models a lot
>claims the models aren't as good value

You're a retard. I could very well quote all the video games I buy for $60, beat in a few hours, then never play again.

Im a retard because I can play my games every day after work, but I can only play Warhammer 40k with my friends, occasionally, on weekends?

No, you're just a retard for thinking your own personal circumstances apply universally to a given product.

Not him but chill man. he stated: "so long as you pick the right game." which makes sense.

Most vidya is both expensive and not worth the time of day, but what's worth it can be REALLY worth it.

That said, I'd like to think 40k and the nature of a physical avatar you play with can last a lot longer. A videogame needs the electronic components and software to support it, which ages and loses support over time. physical models have the potential to last literally hundreds or thousands of years. So there's a ton more POTENTIAL in miniature wargames.

Consider even in a balls-out ludicrous scenario like the apocalypse or the world' infested with zombies and you're stuck in a bunker all your life: you can still play wargames but you can't waste electricity on vidya.

>implying I wouldn't reroute life support to my PC and spend my dying moments on the computer

Doesn't matter what he stated, I was responding to , not his initial argument. Failure in logic is failure in logic, it doesn't matter how mad you try to accuse someone of being.

Ah, fair enough then. My bad. I mean I guess its true. You could have a wife whose even more obsessed than you and demand a skirmish 3 times a week like its some sordid form of foreplay before she crushes your pelvis into dust.

Man that sounds good.

>I'm a firm believer in making love and war.

Because when games workshop sees profits dropping because of high prices they raise prices to compensate instead of lowering prices so people auctualy buy stuff.
The practice can't last much longer though every time they do it it looses them more and more money either they get some brains or they go out of business.

Or they just reboot 40k like they did WHFB. Honestly I'd say the problem are the shareholders. They effectively run the company and have an even more non-existent view of what the hobby is like and what the customers want. They just see numbers and the biggest numbers for the lowest sales are great.

Somehow they don't make the correlation that more sales at cheaper prices means a more stable and possibly larger income over time. They just see "Oh I'm making less than this amount per month, let's grill them" or "lower sales means interest is dwindling, raise prices so you get as much money as possible before the well runs dry".

And I guess I can't blame them for being so short-sighted and greedy. This has been the status quo for ages now. You change anything established in the world and people will tantrum, humans hate change.

It's Games Workshop being as greedy as their loyal fanbois will continue to enable. Better to not start giving them money when there are plenty of options for minis and games out there.

okay, lets do a breakdown of everithing said:

well, yes, if you want to invest in something you have to be sure how you are going to enjoy it, if you want to spend $1000 in warhammer stuff knowing that you can play with those things all year, every year, I se nothing wrong with that, that is totally up to you
and that applyes to any hobby

but wat i meant about how expensive that shit is is because you see some gumpla and it cost like 10 bucks the most basic (and ugliest one) while the more complex the model, the more expensive it is, and I do the comparision because even the cheapest ones are at least articulated, wich means has more plastic than warhammer stuff, and also,while gundam is a recognized brand, gumpla stuff is not as know and consumed like in japan, yet there is a constand production of new products related to gundam

and i saw some videos and pictures of people customizing their armies, they used some withe plastic and green like goo to add features to the models, maybe you can use that to build around a basic 3d printed template

>It's just that the end product gets stigmatized as "playing with toys" so people view the high cost as something childish or "not a real hobby" in comparison to something like a sport hobby.
Clearly, we should just Wargame with Toys from the get go!