Casual MTG General

All sets allowed edition.

I'm all for a Casual general but this is not how you start one

You arent casual until you have played reverse commander /thread

Is there a good way to ensure the casual decks me and my friends build with cards we buy from the interwebs end up around the same strength? My friends are a little simple so I can greatly influence how they turn up.

What is that?

And I didn't mean manipulating them or anything, just that they depend on me to get the balance right.

talk to your friends about that. If you guys all come together and say "hey, i'm looking at legacy levels here, so no black lotuses allowed" then you wont have someone show up with a vintage dredge deck, while your playing dragon tribal scrub deck.

If you make a better one I will delete this. Hurry though.

You could say OP approached creating this general...rather...Casually.

50 card singleton, deck identity rule is replaced
If your commanders color matches with one basic land youre good to use him, so basically you could make a red blue artifacts deck and use pia and kiran as a commander.

>Talk with them and establish ground rules.
>Play peasant or pauper formats
>Have multiple decks so you can keep a few balanced toward your playgroup, and one for "lets break the game" night.

Your regular reminder that if you're not killing people with card draw, you're doing it wrong.

yeah, that's not the real art I think but it's a real card

Card draw you say?

>playing Nekusar in anything but EDH
Nigga

Mill and draws damage? See which kills them first. Could be fun.

Well he posted the commander version of spiteful visions

Unfortunately, trying to codify casual Magic is virtually impossible; especially when buying singles factors into it. A lot depends on how competitive your group is as well; if someone approaches the game with a "winning above all else" mentality, you're doomed.

One way you could approach it is to limit the number of cards allowed in your deck according to rarity: no more than one of any Mythic, two of any rare, etc. Another would be to agree to a budget. Both cases can be exploited by clever players, though.

Just play singleton, its casual by design.

So I'm trying to patch together a deck. Is it worth including 4 copies of a good card in casual? I like the look of Despise since it's 1 mana and lets you discard threats before they can even threaten you.

And yet people play Singleton formats competitively.

At the end of the day, "casual" has nothing to do with card pool or deck building limitations, and everything to do with mindset.

The group who have been playing since the early 90's and have decks that can win on turn 1 but never go to tournaments and just play for fun are far more casual than people with netdecked French EDH lists going to GPs and shit every weekend.

What are some good synergies with this card?

yes. casual does not preclude good or consistent deckbuilding practices.
>tfw the age of mlg pro assholes has equated "casual" and "scrub"

Despise looks very good. I would use four of them.

>playing casual and killing with damage from card draw
>not actual card draw

Tolarian academy forever

>Tolarian academy
This has a lot of potential.

>potential
either that was sarcasm which I didn't get or you are very new.

I don't know what you mean. Blue artifact decks are really fun.

Academy isn't fun, it's broken.

Breaking magic is fun. In casual people don't take it too seriously.

I have two friends that play rules between themselves, but mostly just "don't edit your deck to specifically fuck mine".

I have a question for casual mill players. Anyone pull off a creatureless mill deck that doesn't use instants/sorceries to mill? I have such a deck and I'm trying to get it working halfway decently.

Build a few decks that look fun, tweak strengths up and down as necessary as discovered by playing them.

>creatureless... and no instant/sorcery mill?

So, like, TutelageXDraw.dec?

What do you mean? An infinite mana combo with Sands of Delirium?

a personal fav of mine

You know that doesn't give you infinite mana, right?

Why not?

You have to pay the replicate cost as an additional cost. You don't get the mana until the spell resolves. You can't spend the mana from the spell to cast itself.

You have to replicate the spell when you cast it. You only get the mana from Seething Song when the spell resolves.

fug
im a casual babby so I thought it would play out like that
Anyway, thanks for telling me

Djinn Illuminatus still has some fun stuff. In monored any 1 mana burn spell becomes totally brutal and Needle Drop or Crimson Wisps refills your hand.

Just make your own cube and fill it with the kind of janky cards you and your friends enjoy playing. Hell, you can even copy a list you like from cubetutor.com if you lack inspiration. Decks of comparable strength are assured because you're all drafting from the same pool of cards.

I use Grind Clocks and Jace Belerans to mill. Contamination Engine for proliferate and wipe. Various stall. Lux Cannon is in there, but it kinda sucks.

Hardened Scales

Alright, so, you can either go into proliferate to speed up your artefacts, or you can build control with artefact mill as the wincon.

The former is just delving into the Scars block and seeing what suits your deck and gives counters. Pretty straightforward, if potentially difficult to find the cards for offline. The latter is actually just dropping the Belerens and building whatever color deck you like playing control best with. Mono Red Control Mill sounds fun, for instance.

Magic Duels Rarity rules on StarCity prices.
The best way to make fun and interesting Decks without allowing Arms Race.
You might have to watch for things like Treasure Cruise tho.

>Mono Red Control Mill
What would that even look like?

>Outpost Seige
>creature burn and Pyroclasm effects
>???
>Grindclock

Oh god, if I'm just using Grind Clock anyway, assuming I dump Jace I could go all red. Or just use artifacts or myr for the blue. That might be really fun.

this was the combo back in m13 limited

something kinda like this that actually works is Lava Spike, Desperate Ritual, and Izzet Guildmage. Cast Lava Spike, splice Ritual onto it, copy it, let the copy resolve (they take 3, you get 3 mana), copy it with your new 3 mana, repeat

I would like to make a fun casual deck with my aether vials. Is the card just too strong for casual?

not necessarily, it depends what you're putting in with it

that's like saying islands are too strong for casual

Alright. It's been a while since I played anything other than legacy, and the casual groups I started playing were really prickly about "op cards"

A standstill vial deck sounds like it could be fun.

>A standstill vial deck sounds like it could be fun.
That's my kind of fun too but most casuals would be triggered as hell by it, i'd be careful.

My pet casual deck is mono-black control with rituals, necropotences, hymns, and mind twists.

God, M13 limited was fucking great. It doesn't get the kind of recognition that Innistrad or ROE get, but I honestly feel like M13 was one of the best limited formats ever.

I have this in my green stompies with the bond beetle and satyr grovedancer.

>Blue artifact decks are really fun.

Damn right.

Animar

I've been tempted to try and build him into Collected Company. I want to build a deck with the card

I played it heavily in standard with the demon who when he enters from grave opponents gain him, and has undying but is beefy for 2 mana. Counter made him both bigger and stops undying for triggering.

Also used slither head for cheap counter.

Doesn't work family.