Converting PS3 to mining rig

What do you guys think about repurposing a PS3 into a mining rig? I know for bitcoin it wouldn’t work, but what about for something like Ether or XMR? If it was feasible, not sure about the logistics. I’m assuming one would put a linux distro and go from there.

Maybe I’m better off selling the thing and buying coin... I don’t know. Any ideas?

1)You would need the original ps3 and not a slim and install linux on it
2)You would need to know how to program with its Cell processor.

Thats dumb.
Sell it for however much and buy XMR/ETH or whatever with the money. You wont get shit with a ps3.

perhaps on an original release model seeing as you can run a few distros on it. The U.S. military used these for mass processing centers at one point.

KYS

THAT'S ILLEGAL ACTIVITY

Are you a retard?

Wow, the hate... what’s so wrong with trying to repurpose some old hardware?

That won't work. PS3 has a unique architecture and no miner would run on it. Even if you could get one to run it wouldn't be efficient and you'd make no money.
Anyway mining is meme since 2010. Just invest in a proof of stake coin and stake it on a rasp pi desu. You'll get the same warm and fuzzies of generating shitcoins without running up your electricity bill.

The normalfag invasion is real

Bought in 2010, not slim. Might try to make it into a server regardless of mining just for fun.

How brainlet?

Sorry this idea offends your fedora sensibilities

Good points, bad idea. Thanks for the insights user.

Gus?

Theres nothing wrong with it. Its the bitterness of people who have wasted their time on that before.
Making a server on a linux distro is a much better idea that you will learn more from.

My GTX 1070 is probably 30 times faster than a PS3.

press x to mine and r2 to sell?

I used to run my own VPN on an old machine for when I was out public networks, maybe I’ll do something like that with it. Even if I sell the games and accessories with the system on Facebook Marketplace, I feel like it’s not going to command many sheckels.

I assure you mining was not a meme in 2011. I was mining 1/4 coin/day on a fucking gaming laptop. Real GPUs could pull 4-5 coins a day. It was outpacing city electricity costs into 2013

Kek

the part wrong with it is that it literally won't even work, he won't even contribute any useful work with how shitty this hardware is for modern mining, it will be less than a useful experience because it won't even be successful

I wish I bought BTC in 2011 instead of wasting my time playing Disgaea 4 like the autist I am.

What's your favourite PS3 game, Veeky Forums?