Sc-fi arms and armour thread

I would like opinions on a subject that is rarely directly discussed.

Sci-fi helmets and robot heads.

They come in a billion trillion variations, and I personally am constantly flip-flopping on what sort I like.

Whats your opinion on the topic? Any sort you hate? I never got the pyramid head meme, I like a good faceless angular helmet but some of them just have silly angles, you could shank someone with some of them.

Also general Sci-fi arms and armour thread.

If video helmets ever become a thing, they would follow the sloping-angle wind-tunnel physics of aircraft and tanks to minimize explosive impact surfaces. So soldiers would be back to pointy-noise beaks for helmets.

Techno-Bascinets here we come!

Goldie on the right

>Heavily armored torso
>Trousers
What is femoral artery

I always imagined a return of the sallet helm style setup when shrapnel collars become required on every soldier.

>What is femoral artery

Most artists cannot answer that question.

I don't think I have ever seen a sci-fi hounskull bascinet which I am suddenly very angry about.

check my trips

>>What is femoral artery
>>Most artists cannot answer that question.
Dark Souls 2 in particular REALLY pissed me off with this.

Most of the armors had trousers with more protective value than chain+plate. Fucking trousers. With leather boots.

>I don't think I have ever seen a sci-fi hounskull bascinet which I am suddenly very angry about.

You've seen them...you just don't remember.

Beakies hold the line for the Emperor!!!

Fucking hell I am stupid, honestly they just slipped my mind completely.

Planetside 2 could have been so good. I'ma still play though

>all those screws

hey, at least they're all inset so they don't snag on stuff.

fallout 4 power armor

exo suits from cod aw

I hate the vast majority of sci-fi armour, because it's invariably over-detailed, unfocused, uneconomic garbage.

Yeah, let's just keep piling on shitloads of greebles and doodads, break up every flat surface with as many distracting lumps and seams as possible, and basically ensure that the armour has no distinctive features, no central focus, and no memorable form whatsoever. That's surely how good design works.

Warhammer 40K Space Marines (the barebones Tactical Marines) and Tau Fire Warriors are my gold standards for distinctive and memorable sci-fi armour, with the Stormtroopers from the Star Wars films (all of them, original, prequels and sequels) earning an honourable mention. I also liked the Helghast in the first Killzone game, but later games just kept tacking the glowing orange eyes on increasingly more crowded and forgettable designs, and they really wore out their welcome.

>over-detailed, unfocused, uneconomic garbage
Sounds like the product of defense contractors.

>hello random wasteland journalist follower
>here is a suit of advanced power armor that supposedly took months of training not to murder yourself with
>why don't you just put it on and instantly be able to use it at full combat effectiveness

I really like the the Specters

Second game was best in my opinion.

I'll post some. Most will piss off /k/ommando's though.

>46929495

Where do you get your character art? (Other than these threads I mean.)

All the old websites I used to use back in the day have shut down and now I don't really know where to look.

DeviantArt and here. That's about it.

Those are nice enough designs, but why the fuck are the feet/boots so big?

Because Helgan is a fucking frozen hellscape and frostbite is bad.

Top right, center, bottom middle, and bottom mid right all have normal sized boots, and presumably they're not freezing their toes off.

Maybe it looks better in context, but here it just makes them look silly.

The shock trooper, the conscript, the shock trooper, and the sniper don't have gear designed for extended foot slogging?

Who knew?

>scout sniper
>low foot-slogginess rating
shiggy diggy, senpai

He probably spends most of his day camped out in a nest. Maybe he also doesn't want his tracks to be so different from a civilian's.

>Sc-fi arms

No but seriously here's some guns

I like typical fantasy plate armor mixed with modern or high tech elements.

Less fantasy more modern powered armor is good, too.

When it comes to more futuristic stuff, I have a soft spot for expressionless face plates.

What's with these weird-ass helmets, and this weird angular armor bullshit? Do the artists think that this makes the armor stealthy or something?

And am I the only one that's sick of seeing Elysium art? Okay, the movie was fun, but what the fuck is a chem rail?

>Plasticky-minimalist gun design makes those things look like toys, and not something that you'd have confidence in carrying around, like the guns in pic related

in b4 armor boobs

>average_imperial_world.jpeg

Every year as prosthetics get better and more articulate I have to fight the urge to feed my arm to a wood chipper. In the back of my mind I know. I will lose.

I'm going legs first. Of all the things I can think of losing, anything below the knee seems trivial

It'd be more worried about the lack of solid plate abdomen armor. Segmented plates over the body is fucking retarded and will increase the transfer of energy into the body.

my assumption is that the underpart is that weird liquid armor they've been working on for a while, or some sort of equivalent. the plates are there to stop penetration, the under stuff absorbs the shock.

I really liked the Halo fluff on how their armor works, and how they're way better when augmented by an AI; Master Chief managed to bitch slap a missile because of it (pretty sure he broke his hand though)

>Warhammer 40K Space Marines (the barebones Tactical Marines) and Tau Fire Warriors are my gold standards for distinctive and memorable sci-fi armour,

Huge-ass pauldrons aside, Space marine armor is actually rather well designed - large, curved, solid surfaces that maximize deflection.

>pioneer

also known as Eva unit 1.

nah, man it says right there "EVA" in the second row

womp womp.

As someone with really bad vision I'm still waiting for eye replacements to come around so I can carve out my broke ass ones and get slick new robot eyes.

I assume chem-rail means that it incorporates both chemical and magnetic acceleration. Chemical propellant for initial kick, and the rails to achieve higher speeds than would otherwise be possible.

If you're going to post Halo armor, at least post the superior Halo: Reach armors.

Bungie's armors have a nice balance to them - they're not so simplistic that they look like an Apple product, but they have enough going on in the right places that it feels right.

See this? This (and the armors from Halo 4 and up) don't have that feel. This one feels clunky while the armor made by 343i just doesn't feel like armor should.

>armor over my right lung? fuck it, gimme skittles!

The armor from Destiny is also really good.

Bungie has great art direction.

That doesn't look anything like Unit 01 besides a similar paint job. Infiltrator and Wetwork are as close. The helmet is more Unit 00 than anything.

It's a redesign of this character.

The skittles were a given.

But that's still awful. You need solid plates over everything, and unlike what some quibbling morons believe, it is completely possible to cover humans in a fully animated exoskeleton of plates.

Also, post Neo Crusaders.

I'm still salty that it's never coming to PC.

I'm always awfully bothered how the shoulder assembly seems to be begging to get caught in some shit and torn off. In the latest Call of Duty games I was extremely annoyed it wasn't covered by some form of protection.

How the fuck do you put Neo-Crusader armor on even?

I know, right?

I mean, even /k/ tends to like their gun designs.

Though some gun designs apparently don't make sense (I think the shotgun from the Halo games), and they always nitpick about the lack of iron sights on the Halo 1 guns.

All the Marines in Halo:CE had the green eye pieces though. They had some kind of heads up display going on.

Reach had really good standard Marine designs, even if they were a little bulky. I think 3 did them best.

Destiny armor makes me fucking angry at how good it is, like I emotionally cannot handle the fact that I'll never own a physical version of that armor.

It doesn't stop /k/ from being /k/.

Also, I think the Marines in Reach were technically Army, which is why they had different outfits.

Don't be. It took close on a year and a half to make the game even close to good. It always had a little kernel of excellence, and they're slowly polishing the crap off, but it's taken some fucking time.

At least all the design and most of the lore has always been on point.

You have great opinions.

So should I just get it for ps4 and finally get to play that robot wizard I wanted since the announcement?