Basile Quest

Your name is Hadrian Basile. You are the heir to the hereditary governorship of Napolus in the Empire of Lacus, your father Vastenius has groomed you for leadership of this prestigious position. Your contemporaries have descirbed you in many ways, the three words they've used most commonly were:
>Ruthless
>Violent
>Subtle
>Intelligent
>Charismatic
>Compassionate
>Ambitious
>Strong
>Agile

>Intelligent
>Charismatic
>Compassionate

Subtle
Charismatic
Agile

>Subtle
>Charismatic
>Ambitious

>Subtle
>Charismatic
Can we get an agreement on a third one? Otherwise I'll pick.

>>Intelligent

There were many things the said, but the ones you remember most vividly were just how subtle you could be, your stunning oratory skills and general charisma, and your razor wits and quick thinking, few of which could contend with.

Starting Stats:
Ambition: 5
Martial: 10
Stewardship: 10
Diplomacy: 16
Learning: 12
Intrigue: 10

You are a rather tall man with pitch black hair, and a good complexion, you are fit as is befitting of a noble, and you are dressed in fine clothing, gold and red embrodierd on white giving a rather firery appeal to the outfit as a whole.

You have been summoned to your fathers chambers, wondering what exactly it is this time that he wishes to speak to you about.

you walk down the halls of the governors palace in Napolus, ones you've known your whole life, lined with statues, sets of armors and paintings from all across the continent, a life of affluence though has not dulled you or made you entirely complacent though.

After a few minutes of walking you finally reach your fathers chambers and Vastenius waves you over to his side so to speak with you.

"My good son Hadrian, you've at last come of age, 14 years of age now, however I must ask that you go to the capital, you see the Emperors own son is around the same age, and I believe it will do us both well if you were to befriend him." he says with a smile showing that there might be a bit more to this than he's letting on.

>Push him, it seems a bit odd that he'd be taking such an interest now
>Nod your head and pack your bags
>Other(Write in)

[more options may become available as skills improve, status gained, and information learned]

>Push him, it seems a bit odd that he'd be taking such an interest now

>>Push him, it seems a bit odd that he'd be taking such an interest now

>Ambitious
>Violent
>Agile

Alright looks like we're pushing the old Governor, roll me 1d20 I'll add 8 to it for Hadrian's Diplomacy.

DC 12 best of 3

Rolled 20 (1d20)

nope

Well shit.

....*clears throat* Well then.
Writing response.

You eye your father carefully before take a few seconds to compose yourself and your reply, "Lord father, while I don't question the wisdom of this, I do find this to a bit out of the blue..."

You think a bit choosing your next words carefully, "If I may so ask, what is it do you intend me to do once I've befriended the Emperors heir?"

Vastenius looks at you and chuckles, "Oh it is good to see my own flesh and blood is no push over, and an eloquent speaker no less."

Though he sighs, "We are wealthy and powerful Hadrian, and that means we have many enemies for reasons beyond the normal. The Emperor owes me a favor, one I've had banked away for a long time now, and I feel it is best to use it now for I grow old and my authority is being questioned. The Capital though full of lies and treachery, there you will either learn or die, here you will most certainly die."

With a last sigh, "My age has weakened my authority, and I fear a sort of complacency has allowed a plot against me to form, this is both a lesson to you and my last gift to you. Now Go my son, and learn from your fathers mistakes."

>Ask Specifics of potential plot (Won't be easy)
>Thank him
>Walk away and prepare to leave
>other (Type in response)

Forgot picture

>>Ask Specifics of potential plot (Won't be easy)
Hard to learn from his mistakes if we don't know what they were and what they led to.

>Ask Specifics of potential plot (Won't be easy)
Also, having such a big bonus to our diplomacy may make political intrigue a bit too easy for us.

You make a fair point, still figuring out a good balance for stat to bonus, half is a bit much, perhaps DnD standard +1 for every 2 above ten?

I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

Looks like we're going to look for specifics on the plot.

And pardon the change in values when it comes to the bonus, Balance will be sought and achieved in this first thread hopefully

Anyways 1d20 I'll add 3 to the roll for diplomacy. DC 16

Rolled 13 (1d20)

>standard +1 for every 2 above ten
I'd say just go with that.

Rev up those 1s!

Best of 3

Rolled 17 (1d20)

Rolls

Rolled 11 (1d20)

HAHA TIME FOR ANOTHER 20
Watch me get a 1 instead

Well no 20, but there's a 17 so unnatural 20 with bonus, it'll have to do though.
>17+3=20>16 Success

writing response

You look at your father with almost a bit of pity, but it quickly disapates over the thoughts of the plot and their ramifications, and just exactly how you're supposed to learn from his mistakes if you don't know what they were.

"Lord Father, thank you for this chance to survive for you mistakes, but if I'm to learn from them I'd ask that you tell me what they were."

Vastenius sighs, "They are many, first of all I feel I was not proactive enough in my old age, there were those discontent with my rulings."

You remember your father had actually instituted an unpopular nobles tax a few years ago, that earned many a mans irritation.

"Along side with that I no longer lead my men do to my advanced age, which the soldiers find disgraceful."

In Lacusian culture there's a sever stigma for not leading from the front as it is a time honored tradition and a show of strength and bravery, so the soldiers disappointment and disgust is understandable, there tends to be no excues when it comes to this due to many an emperor fighting on the field until they die of either wounds or old age.

"Lastly, I have forgone the diplomacy of my youth focusing inward, this has lead to the affront of many a lord with in the empire."

Though he likely meant well for Napolus, it is important to keep diplomatic ties with other Lords and at least respond accordingly to those who are more important or equally important, there is no hiding in your castle from the mail, else you may just end up hiding in your castle from an army instead or under your bed from assassins due to an affronted lord or liege.

"Yes I have made many a folly my son, and it pains my pride to lay them bear, but you are right if you are to learn from them you must know them."

you nod to him, "Thank you Lord Father.".

-You've come to a few realizations regarding Lacusian culture and politics.

>Get ready to leave
>Ask for information about the capital
>Explore the Palace
>Other(write in response)

>>Ask for information about the capital
>>Explore the Palace

>>Ask for information about the capital
>Get ready to leave

>>Explore the Palace

Ask for info.

>Ask for information about the capital
>Explore the Palace

Well now that most of the depressing things are done, you need a bit more info before you're ready to leave,
"Lord father, one more question before I prepare to leave."

Vastenius nods, "Ask, but be quick, time is of the essence."

You compose yourself and make the question short and simple, "Is there anything I should know about the capital?"

Vastenius sighs, "Several things, the Imperial City is a den of intrigue, one false step there is paramount to an execution so be wary of who's toes you step on. It is a massive hub of trade and such many different cultures mingle there, be careful of the barbarian Sanguines, and the heinous Atlanticans, they will surely deceive you. Lastly, you'll be staying at the Emperors Palace as per my arrangement with the Emperor regarding my favor, it is the safest place in the city despite its reputation for deception, if you ever need a respite that would be the place to be.

One last thing, do not get bogged down in the religious debates regarding whether or not Zaedemal has forsaken us, the priests will eat you alive if you try o get in on it."

You nod back that being a decent bit to take in, "Thank you, I'll be taking my leave now Lord Father."

(Cont.)

With that you turn around and walk out of the room, however instead of going straight to get packed you figure there might be some people or resources that you could take advantage of in the Palace before you leave.

There's your room, though you should probably go there when you're ready to leave.

You can go to the Drill yard in the back of the Palace where you used to spar with your personal trainer, perhaps he has a few tips and tricks one could use when defending against assassins.

Of course there's always the Library a place you've quite enjoyed since you were young, you could also talk to the Court Wizard there, though it'd be more for intellectual discussion than anything actually...

>Did you ever display some form of magical aptitude? (Y/N)

There's also the servants quarters if you feel like humbling yourself and talking to the peasents and slaves.

Lastly there's the Armory and storage area, never know what you might find in those places besides stock goods and weapons/armor

Where do you go?

>Drill yard
>Library
>Servants quarters
>Armory
>Storage Area
>Your Room
>Other (Maybe you missed something while remember the important places)

>Y
>Library

>Servants quarters
Man of the people.

>Did you ever display some form of magical aptitude? (Y/N)
N

Y
Library

Seconding this magic is for pansies

N
Armory

Alright, looks like no to magic.
Presuming this is in favor of
so we're going to he Servants quarters.

writing up response

Oops miscounted votes on where to go, still no to magic, I'll give a few minutes to decide where to go.
>Library
>Servants Quarters

SQ

.Alright going to take that as the tie breaker, writing reply.

While you do enjoy the Library and that was one of the things that crossed your mind alongside the armory, you decide to visit the servants quarter as you might not get the chance to see these humble people again.

You walk down through the halls, making a few lefts then go straight for a while, looking out through the windows, it's a beautiful spring morning with the trees swaying and the bushes flowering, honestly it'd be a good day to go outside and enjoy life, but given the current situation you feel that you're not going to be allowed that luxury.

You finally get to the door to the servants quarter knocking twice to a resounding, "Come in." you open the door to see 2 decently dressed individuals, must be the servants that aren't attending to anything, and when they see who it is they kneel and bow their head, "Oh good evening master, what brings you to our quarters this evening?"

You wave your hand up giving telling them to stand up, "Oh nothing much I was just walking by and wanted to say hello and how you are doing."

The man in front of you, and the one who had addressed you previously was Alfonso, a half-elf who acted as a sort of butler to the family as a whole, he's getting on in age, around 70 or 80 years old actually now, but he still seems to be rather spry. The other servant in the room is a slave named Trien, he works with the guards a bit shuttling about supplies for them from time to time, and of course serving them food and the like, though he also has acted as your sparring partner, though he's not terribly good at it.

What do you want to do?
>Free response

Ask how everyone's doing see if Triens been working on his sparring.
AKA make small talk see what's up with the common folk

This

>This then.

Alfonso nods at you, "Well I've been doing as well as I can master, oh whilst you're here I would like to ask, what would you prefer for dinner tonight?"

You rub the back of your head, "Oh I won't be dinning tonight, important business and all that, but thank you for asking." you look over to Trien who's been silent for the most part, "Trien," you saying his name makes his head perk up as he seems to have been avoiding your gaze, "have you been working on your sparring?"

Trien shrugs a little, "I don't get a lot of time to practice my lord, the guards run me ragged when it comes to getting their equipment and of course they're always using me as a messanger so I have to run around the halls between the guards." he sighs a little, "Though I wish I could, even if I'm poor at fighting, I feel a bit more on even footing when I spar with you."

Trien blinks, "Wait you said you had important business my lord?"

You nod, "Yes, I do."

Trien looks at you, "Uh... perhaps its not my place to ask, but what is it?"

Curious little bastard isn't he?

What do you do?

>Tell him you're going to the Capital
>Tell him its none of his business
>Make a bet, if he can beat you in a sparing match you'll tell him

>Tell him its none of his business

I say we take the bet we can find out how good we are with a sword. Can we take anyone on our journey to the capital or we solo swagging this trip?

You'll be able to pick a few guards later, depending on interactions while exploring more potential companions may arise.

Sounds good was just wondering

Rolled 2 (1d2)

Alright looks like we have a tie, so I'm going to roll a d2 and pick based on that.

>1 none of his business
>2 make a bet

/tg Dice have spoken.
Writing response

You're a bit torn between telling him that its not something he should concern himself with and challenging him to a sparring match, both of which seem to be fairly safe options all things considered.

You decide to have some fun and give Trien that break he's been looking for, after all the guards can't use him like a lap dog if you're mopping the floor with him now can they?

You look at Trien, "How about this then, I'll tell you what the business is if you beat me in a sparring match."

Trien looks at you, "My lord you might as well not tell me at all!"

You laugh, "Don't be so hard on yourself, your not that bad, come we shall spar int he drill yard."

Trien simply sighs but with a smile on his face and follows you to the Drill Yard where you can see your old fighting instructor shouting down a guard for bad form.

But you're not here for him, though you may talk to him later, you're here to spar with Trien.

Trien goes to a rack and grabs a wooden shield and a blunted sword.

there are many weapons on the rack, what set up do you pick?

Pick 2
>Great-Axe
>Spear
>Longsword
>Shortsword
>Shield
>Tower Shield
>Dagger
>Staff
>Javalins

Spear with Shortsword as sidearm

Longsword and dagger

Longsword
Dagger

Longsword and Dagger it is.

Alright /tg roll me 1d20 best of 3.
DC 7

Actually, is there any way we could use a rapier or dueling sword? Because I would change my vote to that.

Rolled 16 (1d20)

>7
He must be shit.
>inb4 we still lose

Rolled 18 (1d20)

The long sword is the best you'll get if you're looking for a dueling sword, most people here do martial fighting rather than fencing.

Rolled 5 (1d20)

I am the best roller ever.....

>18>7 Great Success

It should come as no surprise that Trien is extremely outmatched, while you're average for a noblemans son when it comes to combat you can most assuredly beat a slave, that being said Trien can be tricky sometimes which is why you like sparing with him.

You both take your stances and after a few seconds of circling each other Trien rushes forward shield forward sword raised and you simply side step him and wack him in the back with your sword and then trip him.

He falls to the ground with a thud but rolls onto his aching back before trying to sit up. You hold your blade to his throat, "Best of three?"

He gives a sort of sheepish laugh and gets up and goes back to his corner and the fight starts again and he gets crushed again this time you parry his strike and then side outmaneuver him and get your dagger to his side.

"I'd say that's that Trien, sorry, but no dice you'll have to find out that business some other time." you poke him a little with the blunt dagger and he backs away.

"But seriously, if you got the time to practice you might actually be able to use that sword and shield one day." you say as encouragement to the slave.

Trien simply smiles back.

You've beaten Trien in a sparring match, and your kindness and humility towards him has earned you some more of his respect.

>Trien as become recruitable for the trip to the capital

What do you do?

>Gather your things and prepare to leave
>Ask Trien to come with you while you prepare
>Talk to your old fighting instructor
>Explore the Palace a little more (you can go to one more place before you have to leave)

Forgot an option

>>Talk to your old fighting instructor

Ask him about dueling swords and foreign fighting styles.

>>Talk to your old fighting instructor

Talking to old fighting Instructor

Writing up Reply

Going with instructor as well we could always come back if we want to bring him I assume.

Yes you'll be able to do so.

While that was all well and fun, you see your old fighting Instructor who it seems had finished chewing out the guards form and was watching and silently judging your fight.

Sir Tiberius was a harsh and brutal instructor, he didn't exactly care for failure, and if you failed you'd just keep fighting him until you succeeded and even then he'd push you until you couldn't go further.

A good disciplinarian, though he always felt you could do better.

You decide to walk over to him and start up a conversation, "Hello Tiberius."

He nods, "Lord Hadrian."

and after that formality he doesn't skip a beat criticizing you're fight, "honestly I don't know why you fight that slave, you'll never improve beating on your lessers. At that, that maneuver you pulled after the parry, wouldn't have worked on a better trained fighter, you'd be smacked with that shield and on your ass boy."

He sighs, "Though I suppose you didn't come to talk for me just to point out your flaws, go on my Lord."

You smile, yup Tiberius the same as ever, "Well, I was wondering actually for a while now about some foreign fighting styles and weapons."

Tiberius raises an eyebrow, "Oh, you'll have to elaborate, quite a few 'foreign' styles."

There aren't actually a lot of foreign nations on the continent, there's Lacus, Sanguis, and Atlantica as independent nations, though there are many subjugated cultures underneath Lacus, and then there are the Brita tribes in the south.

Which cultural fighting style did you want to ask about?
>Sanguine
>Atlantican
>Brita
>Flumite
>Dumite
>Purpimese

Here's a Map of the Continent, I can make a cultural map if you all want one.

>>Atlantican

>>Dumite

>>Atlantican

Atlantican is go
Writing response

You scratch your chin, "How about the Atlanticans? They're one of the few independent nations surely they must have good fighters."

Tiberius nods, "That's one way of putting it, The other way of putting it is they're a bunch of magic loving elves that have been subjugated by Dragons so invading them is a nasty business."

Well then.

Tiberius sighs and thinks for a moment, "That having been said their relationship is tenious so they don't exactly work well together outside of defending their mutual homeland, but you didn't ask about geopolitics."

He pulls out his sword and goes over to a training dummy, "For the most part the Atlanticans tend to be single sword users and don't have anything in their off hand, their blades are fast and their swings swift." he says demonstrating a common strike from what you can only presume to be an Atlantican martial stance, "The reason they keep an empty off hand even if they aren't spell casters is because its a deep part of their culture. That and the vast majority of them seem to be able to use some sort of magic. So they tend to be swift in the strike and follow up with either fist strikes or a magically enfused assault."

He says demonstrating again this time with a flurry of strikes flowing between his fist and his blade. "It's a very interesting fighting form, good for a duel when you have no armor, but on a battlefield its useless for the not casters."

He sheeths his blade, "Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

Is there?
(You can ask about one more cultural fighting style)
>Sanguine
>Brita
>Flumite
>Dumite
>Purpimese
>No sir, but I'd like to try and spar with you.
>Can you teach me that style?

Dumite

"Who has the best fighters?"

>>Sanguine

Sanguine laddies.

Sanguis, and 'who has the best fighters' it is.

Writing up reply

You nod, "Who would you say has the best fighters Tiberius?"

Tiberius laughs, "Well isn't that a question? I suppose in terms of inherent skill that'd be the Brita, those bastards are basically born with a sword in their hand."

He thinks for a moment before continuing, "Though I suppose your asking hardest to beat, in which case I'd say any culture could be that, I don't think there's necessarily a better fighting style, as they all have their utilities."

You nod, "Alright well if you can, can you tell me about the Sanguines fighting style?"

You see his face contort into one of disgust, "Why would you want to know about that filth?" Then he shrugs, "Not really my place to ask, I'm an instructor, so I'll instruct your curious mind."

He goes over to a wall and grabs a halberd off the rack, "The Sanguines tend to prefer pole-arms in combat, though they're proficient with the old sword and board as well." he says swinging the Halberd down and then pulling back and stabbing the dummy with the pointed tip, "They focus on flowing movements and combinations with their weapons, even these big unwieldy things." he says refering to the Halberd he's currently using.

"That having been said I'd be less worried about their common foot soldiers, though heavily armored and armed, they're pretty mediocre comapred to our own, not exactly professional troops. I'd be more worried about their nobility, Not a thing on this planet more terrifying than a Sanguine Noble marching to face you on the battlefield. If the man has title count or higher behind his name you'd best get back and just shoot the bastard from a far else you'll die a swift death, there's some sort of combination of unbelievable skill and terrifying power in them that I just can't quite grasp."

You can see a bit of fear in his eyes as he thinks about the Nobles of Sanguis before he snaps back, "Anyways, that having been said I have to attend to the guards here."
(Cont.)

he motions over at the guards patiently waiting since you've been talking, "Don't want the men that'll be going out tonight in poor shape now do we?"

He smiles, "Though I suppose you've probably got one more question in you, if you do make it a quick one."

What do you do?
>ask to spar
>ask him to teach the basics of either Sanguine or Atlantican martial arts
>Leave him to his business and get ready to leave
>Visit one last place before you go
>Other(write in)

HALBERD MOTHERFUCKER
WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE HALBERD KNIGGA!
>LEARN MOTHERFUCKING SANGUINE MARTIAL ARTS MANG!

Would you be willing to come with me on an upcoming trip?

Neither of these styles appeals overmuch to me.

Ask him to spar.

Visit the armory time to check the equipment boys.

This.
Motherfucking halberd. Only chose spear in the spar options cause halberd wasn't an option.

Four posts, no agreement.
Hmm.
Hmmmm.
Alright.
>Learn Sanguine Martial Arts (Y/N)
>Spar(Y/N)
You'll go to the armory after this and you will ask him if he's willing to go with you on your trip.

actually 5 m8, We Halberd Knigga now.

Sanguine won, I posted for halberd just before your post.
No spar, probably don't have time.

Spar. I'd rather we not be seen favoring the fighting arts of the enemy.

Never mind.
Post afterwards kind of just confirms it.
Learning Halberd.
LET THE MADNESS BEGIN.
TG roll me 1d20
DC 14 to learn about the glorious Halberd.

Rolled 17 (1d20)

Best of 3 rolls
Welp

Rolled 7 (1d20)

ROLLING TO MAKE BELGIUM GREAT AGAIN!

Rolled 12 (1d20)

You did not make Belgium great again. Nice try sir.

rest in penguins leopold II