Breaker 666 Setting Development

The 51st state is...peculiar, to say the least. Not found on any map, of any date, this state connects all states of the U.S. of A. Of course, things tend to happen, especially here. The Road takes all, even if you don't know it. The origin of the 51st state is shrouded in lies, legal tape, conflicting accounts of when it was formed and where it goes. In here, anything can get in, if you know how, and for the right price. Humans, Devils, and other things... This land was older than any of us, I reckon. The voodoo witches called this land Nueva Mundo. The Englishmen, Neverland. The Ispancialos, El Dorado. Countless tales of lost lands appear to be linked to this place, but no one knows for sure. But one thing is for sure: There be demons here.

Link to the in-development 1d4chan page:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Breaker_666

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o_TAQ-sARIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Got bored of waiting for the other guy, so here is the first (hopefully of many) official threads.

It looks pretty interesting, if just because it has 1970s cars..

Supposed to 80's guys ffs

>he didn't go with the flaming skull

one job man, just one job.

I assumed it was a nebulas time that mixed the 70's/80's

anyways, I think we need to take stock of what we got so far and what we need to work on both in this thread and in general.

Wasn't there an apocalyptic aspect as well?

Maybe the Event/whatever we are going to call it happened in the early 90s and stagnated growth.
Keeps long range communication restricted to radios, landlines and word of mouth.

The setting itself could be something like 20 years afterwards in a weird alternate 2010.

It might be better to have a "low-scale" apocalyptic event, like a solar flare messing with electronics or a Y2K-like mass computer malfunction.

I think the apocalyptic event in question was related to Hell intersecting with Earth.
Dead rose from their graves, spirits reenacted old battles in which they fought and hellish creatures stalked the land.
Though I don't recall if there was a reason given for the bad stuff to end... Maybe it just died down slowly and the remnants are still hanging around.

Devilier could have been at the epicentre, or naturally have a weaker barrier and got a lot more dangerous following it.

that green thing needs a recolor

ok so here's what we got for prospective systems Atomic highway, GURPS, WoD,and im not sure if their were others.

GURPS seems like the easiest to build a framework around but atomic highway does seem to be pretty onpoint in terms of car combat(full disclosure iv only skimmed through it at the moment) so does anyone have any thoughts? we can start building a consensus to get things going the setting while it does need tweeking is getting their and we have the classes ready to go.

as for races I think it should go something like this
>normal humans

>revenants(could have different variety's such and zombies and ghost rider revenants, after all it would be a shame if we didn't use the original inspiration for them in some capacity)

>touched(as in divinely or infernally touched either angels and demons or half breeds)

>monsters( this ones a bit trickier but things lie bigfoot preferably with one driving a monstertruck or an 18 wheeler, perhaps some vamps or werewolves)

any thoughts?

It looks like people are a bit burnt out of idea today. Tons of potential for this so I do hope something more comes from this soon, but I'm not really creative so I got nothing.

Bump.

Will fluff in two hours

Whatever it is, I think that it should be kept vague because I like the mystery aspect.

RIP thread.

people are just plumb tuckered out. ahm sure more will come in time.

youtu.be/o_TAQ-sARIs

I feel that this track could be the theme song for Breaker 666.

Might want to stroll over to /x/ and ask about their best roadtrip spooks.

Other things to consider is how do you get there? I was thinking about how you space out as you are driving through the desert, cornfields, farmland, woods, ect. Only to find yourself somehow impossibly lost on a straight road with no other cars. I also love the idea that only shortwave comunications work like trucker radios, walkietalkies, maybe even am radio (the spookier of the radio channels) which sometimes pick up strange transmissions.

I'd go hell on earth before gurps, but that's me. Half the work is already done for ya in that setting.

So here's an idea.

This magical non-area, what would become the 51st, wasn't always a creepy gate to hell, but the Habbening in the 70's fucked it and closed it off, making the Road/Route 666 the only way in

Like how the Eldar fucked the warp for good.

This is breddy gud

Second. GURPS is unironically shit.

>atomic highway does seem to be pretty onpoint in terms of car combat

Class writing guy here, I'm voting for Atomic Highway, it only has a few stats to remember, seems pretty simple and has a seperate stat system for your vehicles.
Also, AH is free on Drive thru RPG right now. Check it out.

Thanks

I was thinking about a magic system using a hand of cards, something dirty and simple that does away with all the crunchiness of some magic in RPGs (reagents, prep time) or the tendency for magic to just be another skill vs. roll.

Simply, you're given a hand of playing cards from a deck, one for each point of magic aptitude you have (5 is the max for Atomic Highway, for example).

When you want to cast a spell you choose a card to play from your hand. That card represents your efforts in spellcasting, how successful it was etc.
The GM draws a card from the deck or cuts the deck, and that card represents the laws of nature and physics working against your magic.
The contest either goes one of two ways. You go full Dark Heresy and have to play a card lower than the cut card, representing you not drawing the attention of the demons of hell while using magic, or you have to play a card above whatever the GM drew, to show your mastery of magic supersedes the laws of physics (Arcanum).

Suits and face cards all play a part in determining successes, and the difference between the suits of numbers on the cards could determine how successful the spell was (or how disastrous the failure)
I like the idea that using too much magic could bring down jealous, hungry demons or furious, righteous angels on you.
Additionally there is a slight tactical/card counting element, you'd be inclined to use a less useful card when casting a small glamour, as a failure there isn't lethal. you'd save that really good card fro when it matters. resting, imbibing drugs, meditating, drinking blood or eating souls replenishes your magic, restoring your hand of cards. If you run out of cards and can't recharge, you have temporarily run out of magic.
Thoughts?

>I like the idea that using too much magic could bring down jealous, hungry demons or furious, righteous angels on you.

But like the last scene of the Constantine movie, you'd have to be doing some serious, big time shit to get that kind of attention.

I like that playing cards idea. And I think I know how to add this on an Atomic Highway system.

You start your day/session/whatever with Tenacity x Occult skill (or whatever multiplier/formula you think is adequate) cards drawn from a 54 card deck (jokers included).

Each time you want to use magic, you get a hand of up to (Occult Skill) cards from your deck. You use standard poker hands to determine the number of successes (pair is 1 success, double pair is 2, three-of-a-kind is 3, and so on).

Against passive or active mundane opposition, you need to met the difficulty level set by the GM. With active, magic opposition (ie occultist duel), best hand wins.

You may decide not to draw your max number of cards (to conserve them), and you may use a fate point to "cheat" and change a card into the card of your choice.

Obviously that is just a rough idea that needs work, but I think it's worth a try.

PS : when your deck runs dry, you're out of mana, juice, whatever, or just plain tired, and you need to recharge somehow, if only by resting a couple hours.

>Against passive or active mundane opposition, you need to met the difficulty level set by the GM.

I like your ideas, but this sort of thing was what I was hoping to avoid. It's less random than rolling dice, but it's still vs a set difficulty. I'd like to see it more like

>The contest either goes one of two ways. You go full Dark Heresy and have to play a card lower than the cut card, representing you not drawing the attention of the demons of hell while using magic, or you have to play a card above whatever the GM drew, to show your mastery of magic supersedes the laws of physics (Arcanum). You'd choose your card first then the GM cuts the deck, so you'd never know what the universe will throw at you, high or low. You create your spell, cast it out into Devilier and see what that fickle bitch throws back at you.

I've never liked magic just being another skill, tantamount to shooting an exotic firearm that has unusual results. If you have your hand of cards number of successes vs. the difficulty set by the GM, you've got yourself a slightly fancier skill roll. I was specifically aiming for something else, more 'take a chance against the universe' with a win/lose outcome, taken out of the GMs hand.

And because you never know what card will come out of the deck, you have to play your cards safe, using weaker cards on less important spells, saving the best suits and face cards for bigger, more important spells.

I see your point. Maybe we can have an "occult difficulty level" that represents how many cards are drawn and opposed to the caster's hand ?

I can also see using the attributes/skills of the target to determine that number of cards (i.e. mind control is resisted with a hand composed of a number of cards equal to the target's Tenacity).

So, instead of drawing your hand randomly from your deck, you may pick your cards, so you can play your hands tactically ?

The player wouldn't have a deck, they'd be dealt (cards x magic skill level) from a shuffled deck, like any normal card game. The max would probably be 5, because that's master skill level in AH.
When they cast a spell they choose a single card from their hand to play. The GM cuts the deck or draws from the top.

If the players card is better his spell has been successful.

If the GMs card is better, the spell failed, and Devilier laughs somewhere over the horizon.

The card is then discarded or shuffled back into the deck. I know it's simple af, but that's the point. It's quick, brutal and you only have a small amount of control over it. If Devilier wants to fuck you, you bend over and hope she don't go in dry.

It also stops magic from being fuckawesome and all powerful, keeping it low magic, hedge wizardry.

I'd like to avoid poker hands. While it fits thematically, it'd been done before and it slows the action down.

>You go full Dark Heresy and have to play a card lower than the cut card, representing you not drawing the attention of the demons of hell while using magic

Joker's wild? Maybe that's what Jokers do, it's the psyker spergout from DH, all the bad shit showing up at once.

Other magic users can use card from their hand to block your successful spells, but unless the target has some sort of innate magic resistance (angels/demons) or is a wizard himself, they're SOL. If you outdrew the GM (devilier is letting your mojo do its thing, essentially), your spell is happening.
None of these pussy Will saving throws. You're a truckdriver, how the fuck is your will resisting ancient magics?

Poker hands only slows the game down if you and your players don't know them. That's the same with any ruleset. Put a poker hands reference on the table and boom, you're good to go.

The problem I have with your idea of just one card is that it's much too random and also not as fluffy. You're basically just playing an enhanced War card game. It lacks in charisma and interest, imho.

I like AH, but their psychic powers rules have got no balls.

If B666 has anything, it's balls big enough to come in a dump truck. We need fast, ballsy, unapologetic rules fro magic. Magic has balls in Devilier, it's not communing with nature or meditating for hours to contact spirits, it's tearing the eyes out of the laws of physics and skull fucking the raw sockets.

>The problem I have with your idea of just one card is that it's much too random ...You're basically just playing an enhanced War card game

I could concede these points, but they don't bother me, opinions and assholes of course, I got both.

>not fluffy enough
Here comes another opinion, I've always felt that poker hands in a game was kind of try hard, look how cool we are guys, we've got gambling in our game! It feels unnecessary and in this instance, if you're doing a couple of computations to work out number of successes, you're back to a GM set difficulty roll, but with cards instead of dice (my two pair vs your three of a kind, you win, but by how much?) That can be alleviated with quick reference tables for all possible results, as you mentioned, or having your hand vs. GMs hand and winner takes all. If your hand wins, your spell happens. If the GMs wins, your spell fizzles or goes wrong, which is a slightly more complex version of my original idea.

>It lacks in charisma and interest, imho

I like the simplicity of it, and how little control you have. Opinions opinions.

no hate player, better to talk it all out now.

This also shows the fickle nature of magic. Some days the omens are bad, the winds of magic blow the wrong way and you don't have a whole lot of mojo to draw upon ( a bad hand).
On these days you might use fortune to up your suits, mulligan your hand or you might draw on charms, amulets and other means of power to do the voodoo you do so well.

So, after reading the page, how fucked is the America outside of Devilier?
Is it mostly still there, or pretty wrecked?

'Cos no one decides where you drive your own fucking rig but you, and fuck whoever says otherwise, you don't fucking care it's something fifty million years old, it didn't pay the mortgage on that truck.

I guess we can only agree to disagree.

Anyway, since there is a lot of things about this setting that is left up to the individual GM (has there been an habbening or not, what monsters live there and so on...), I guess we can say that there are two magic systems concurring ; one based on poker hands, and one based on individual cards.

I suggest we move on to another subject, which is IMO extremely important setting : the Rules of the Road. No need for an absolute list, just post some.

I'll start with two that stuck with me from the first thread :

- Never stay on the rails longer than you need to, and never try to walk or drive on them.

- Never, ever, try to go through a ringing rail crossing, even though you'll never see a single railcar.

>The voodoo witches called this land Nueva Mundo.
Why did "voodoo witches" give it a Spanish name?

Should be brujeria.

Maybe have the Rules of the Road be based off actual road laws and etiquette, but with supernatural twists. The example being the railway.

Though the rules need to be loose enough that car combat and killing isn't "illegal" by the Road's standards, while breaking a red light might do something like curse your breaks to stop working.

>The Brujería called this land Nueva Mundo.

That better?
Though doesn't Nueva Mundo just mean New World? A common name for the Americas back then.
It doesn't seem rooted in folklore and stories like El Dorado or Neverland.
An alternative could be:
>The conquistadores knew of it as Cibola
Though that's also Spanish. Are there any other American legendary places we could use?

Also, should it be 'Nuevo'? My Spanish is quite limited but if Mundo ends in "o" the shouldn't Nueva?

What about this?
Also what happened to the timeline? Why isn't it on the wiki?