Modern MtG General

Jam Thopter/Sword and Ancestral Vision Into Every Deck Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C3fCRtIhmnw
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/559413-u-r-delver
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/american-owling/
mtggoldfish.com/series/budget-magic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

does Ancestral Visions makes faeries better

Yes, as well as merfolk, which is already good enough.

does it make it worth it to play at fmn.

Maybe? I don't honestly know yet.
One of my friends is testing with it, if it resolves I lose, but other than that it's not super impressive.

do you have a list

Wait until bump limit before making a new thread. Bump limit is 315 or so.

Also make a less shitty OP, yours attracts scrubs

Yeah, I was trying to make a deck revolved around Emrakul, hence a lot of mana droppers to be able to summon him and counters/ tappers to keep my opponent at bay until I did.
The force away/griptide were mainly so the sky spawner could keep making scions thus giving me more mana. But I think somewhere along there I put in too many cards that were unnecessary, so I'll work on getting rid of them..
Nah you're good,I posted it here to get feedback. Working on the consistency right now.

list?

Sorry, I do not friend.

Also any further advice would be nice as well..
:)

Hard casting an emrakul is a futile endeavor, only the grindiest decks will ever get to enough mana consistently, even then, most grindy decks look to win before someone hard casts an emrakul.

what is with all the one and two ofs

Faeries is just bad Merfolk.

Sorry, but what does hard casting mean?

I only have 1-2 copies of each card.

>First for Kleatis did nothing wrong
>Second for Kalitas being our savior

It's blue's thoughtseize. Turn 1-2 it's insane but past turn 4 it's mediocre.The swing in card power is tremendous though but it really doesn't belong in every blue deck. You mostly need ways to cycle it out of your hand late game if you draw, or ways to not care about it late game if you do draw it

Why are the primers for faeries shit.

Because it's T4.

Hard casting means casting a spell without using a a method to reduce it's cost, or without cheating it out.

i thought it was t3?

You're not allowed to win earlier in memedern

If you want to play Emrakul you have to build around it by either ramping or cheating her into play. The only competitive deck that was able to reliably cast Emrakul was R/G Tron and even that deck is not played very much and is expensive as hell.

If you really want to play Emrakul and you are on a budget I recommend looking at a U/W Polymorph list. It seeks to cheat Emrakul into play by using the card Polymorph in a token. It also uses anthem effects for your tokens, a little bit of deck manipulation and control. It is not by any means competitive but it is able to steal wins from time to time and it is very cheap.

or would you rather build something else?

"Tier 4" you numpty. Read the thread.

It was a joke you retard

Faeries just doesn't work with what it has available. Almost no card draw, it's a tempo deck that just isn't fast enough anymore.

Thanks for the Emrakul tips, but I may go for a different deck possibly..
Any place I can see a good U/R list?

Storm
youtube.com/watch?v=C3fCRtIhmnw

U/R Delver
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/559413-u-r-delver

there are cheap lists of Delver that are more aggro oriented without the Snapcasters and with Kiln Fiend, Monastery Swiftspear, and Stormchaser Mage.

have you played modern before? if you havent maybe this isn't the best place to start. maybe you want to go to a couple of drafts and maybe then try making a standard deck so you can get familiar with the game before jumping into modern.

>Storm
>Good

>good u/r list
Blue moon is the best
There's also 3 colour, like grixis control and gixis delver, or Jeskai control, Jeskai Kiki combo, or Temur Midrange and Temur aggro
Then there's bad u/r decks like, u/r fold into aether

Check out Brewspy, really nice and interactive streamer and he's been brewing decks using Brain.
My favorite brew of his is a splice/brain thoptersword with glittering wish.
he changes it up as he streams so it's always getting tweaked and tuned. Very fun to play imho

Check him out tho excellent stream

So what do you guys think of modern no longer being in the pro tour?

Is it good or bad for the overall format?

Your list is almost identical to mine, sideboard too. I prefer negates over the remands though, and I recently put 2 spellskites mainboard because of all the fucking boggles in my meta. They help with the few burn and zoo players as well.

It means less stupid shit like "In the interest of diversifying the format, Splinter Twin, is banned."

there was a channelfireball article that made some very good points about why it shouldnt be a pro tour format.

it pretty much said that one of the main reasons pro tours existed is because they work as big commercials for the new sets. while this is true for standard it isn't for modern. wotc doesn't make up in booster sales what they lost organizing the modern pro tour so it was natural that they were going to seek to make them profitable.

hence they made modern a rotating format. enter splinter twin ban, OGW, the Eldrazi menace, etc.

so yes, its better for modern to stay off the pro tour.

sean is a good guy tbph

pro tour is a showcase for new product. modern shouldn't have ever been a pt format. modern remains a premier-level event format, though. this means modern ptq/rptq/gp are still live and will continue to be the bread and butter of competitive modern events.

>delvlets
when will they learn?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/american-owling/

Working on this Jeskai control deck for Modern. Lots of draw effects and ways to punish the opponent, I'm considering including Paradox Haze or Rule of Law.

Ayyy yall niggas see the new saffronolive R/G stone rain deck?

Premise is simple enough, you
Ready deck is 1 drop mana dorks, 3 drop stone rain effects you ramp into and start dropping on t2, and the finishing blow comes from goblin dark-dwellers and inferno titan as your top end. Looks like a very interesting budget deck that isn't just "burn without the good cards" or "goblins without goblin guide"

ponza isn't exactly new and i've been abusing GDD for quite some time now. that being said i have a boner for stone rain decks and appreciate his take on it.

Wrexial is just too fun. It has decent evasion with Islandwalk and Swampwalk, can't be blocked at all regardless of lands with Stormtide out and you get to cast whatever instant or sorcery the opponent has cast before even if the hit doesn't connect. FREE paths / bolts / inquisitions. Simic is good but I don't feel like replacing any of the others.

What do you do when they just dont fetch until they need mana?

you can blow up at least their turn 1 land. if that weren't the case you can just keep playing ramp spells anyways

Anyone here play lantern control? What's the matchups like? Seems like fun deck and I should have most of the pieces for it

I love delver, without a good free counter however, I am shit out of luck.

Tempo doesn't exist in modern

So how did you guys get into Modern? I'm trying to get in and the prices for decks can get pretty scary. Did you guys just save up everything and got it in one go or did you guys get stuff in pieces over time?

Pieces over time and before the price spikes. This format will die because wizards never controlled the secondary market and reprinted lots of cards

I've been building Affinity over time and now I'm only missing one Mox Opal and an Arcbound Ravager. I've been playing Red Deck Wins meanwhile.

What you can do is buy a budget version of a competitive deck and upgrade it over time. These are pretty good examples.

mtggoldfish.com/series/budget-magic

Christmas money and other savings, built it in batches over 2 months. Also managed to sneak in alot of cards before they doubled in price like Chord and Resto Angel

The amount of success you have with the deck is inversely correlated with the amount of efficient answers your opponents pack, once you get the basics down it's very hard to fuck up piloting the deck so you hardly ever get to pat yourself in the backl for the right plays, unless you glutch yourself a Bridge with some Ghost Quarter+Surgical Extraction deck thinning shenanigans.

Does the top card interact with your lock? y/n can you deal with it with what you have in hand+board? y/n mill or don't, repeat

Best matchups are slow control decks that only pack answers in the form of snapcaster getting back cryptic or sideboard hate, worst matchups are Infect, Burn, (8rack since you dump your own hand and have little ways to remove rack effects) and any similar fast aggro you can't stabilize against fast enough. Even Merfolk post-board can be rough if they bring in 4 Hurkyl's Recall and n Echoing Truths and you don't get the lock online fast enough.

The deck gets pretty stale after a while unless you're into bottling salty tears and it punishes for mistakes _hard_.

wrexial's effect triggers upon combat damage? But anyways that's fair, i really just personally prefer sky swallower as a card and as long as you get the quest online it probably isn't super important what dudes you drop besides stormtide

i built a rogue deck and only play at lgs, and like other anons gradually upgraded over time. i spent maybe 250 and am borrowing about $90 worth. it's not quite optimized yet but it does ok. it definitely helped that i had some of the cards before they spiked.

Like I wanna build GW Hatebears but the price for things like Hierarchs, Spellskites, Cocos, and the land base drive the price up way high. If I drop all that I can get the deck for about $250(and my budget right now is around $200-240) so its manageable, but just some of the other decks that I was looking at are just really expensive. Right now I'm thinking of just doing some sort of GW good stuff atm since I have 3 fetches and a playset of the GW shadowland right now and figure I can do something halfway decent for $250.

Huh, I've been reading Wrexial wrong. Might try Simic after all all.

Cool thank you!

Ancestral Visions doesn't make anything better

Cascade is not an archetype anymore, guys

Playing Draft and Standard for ten years

How do you build a good deck? I know there are like 3-9 good modern decks out there that are consistent but I want to be a unique snow flake.

You can't possibly build a good deck without having played the format for a while first. You need to know the speed of the format, what answers to your threats people carry in their decks and a vast knowledge of what cards exist so you don't end up using some shitty card that can be strictly inferior to another when in your deck. Otherwise, you just end up with a tier 60 shitbrew.

Technically yes. But the problem with playing Faeries is that you're playing with Faeries.

Hey ive got a question with brain in a jar, if i use clockspinning/vampire hexmage/proliferate to turn their counters down/up before they cast they spell does it force them to cast it at he current counters, or whatever it increased to before fucking shit up.

Changing the number of counters on Brain does mess with casting a spell. Putting a charge counter is part of the ability, not the cost. Brai checks counters on resolution.

Find friends who ll let you borrow cards. Or buy into a budget deck. There are a couple decent ones. Some can be upgraded over time (affinity, burn, infect), some will reward you somewhat with increasingly good performance if you master them (utron), and some are just retard-cheap (stompy)

how do you guys get good deals on magic cards?

I'm trying to skulk ebay but when i see a good deal I get suspicious, any advice on finding good deals?

Endless testing and reiteration. You'll either find your brews performance cap (not necessarily below a competitive level if you build well) or it will converge towards an existing deck.

thanks user, now if only you could drop the counters during the ability so you could get an instant ancestral visions

Hey guys i need some high cmc spell bombs that are kinda game ending modern legal can i get some suggestions its for a brew im doing any color

I have had a dream of getting sacred foundry from pucatrade, but all this waiting has been in vain. Half year, and I have got nothing from my list.

This sucks.

emerakul

I started at Khans standard just after RTR rotated so I had the shocks and just got off color fetches for budget UWR Delver with mantis riders and terrible shit like that

Thundermaw hellkite,aetherling, Craterhoof, Eldrazi titans in general, Sun titian, Primeval titian, Dragonlord Ojutai, Keranos, God of Storms, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Griselbrand, Avacyn (any of them can do decent but only the new one is realistic), Hornet Queen, and
Xenagos, God of Revels.

I had a dream of looking up how pucatrade works, but then I remember I'm in a tiny remote country and shit like that never works here.

The only reason to run GW over just W is because of coco so either fold and buy them or just build mono W
Mono W is cheaper and probably better anyway

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE COOL DUDE! NICE FUCKING COMMENT BRO, VERY VERY CONSTRUCTIVE!
Buying a rope and finding a sturdy poat to hang from is cheaper than Magic, faggot.

#
HOLY SHIT YOU'RE COOL DUDE! NICE FUCKING COMMENT BRO, VERY VERY CONSTRUCTIVE!
Buying a rope and finding a sturdy post to hang from is cheaper than Magic, faggot.

Play Zooicide, odds are no one else at your LGS has a big enough dick to run it

No, the reason for playing GW over W is to have hierarch on board. If we are talking the same deck, the ability to have tempo bonus to hit into 3cmc creatures on turn 2 is massive + having the ability to get arbiter on board + GQ.

And by tradition, GW decks have been better than monoW. There is a reason why you might sometimes see GW in top8 isntead of monoW decks.

You seem upset. The Guy was answering a question.
>How did you get into Modern
>Playing Standard for 10 years

It's not bad advice, really. Play Standard, trade standard playable for modern playable, build up a deck from store credit and trades. Why does this fluster you so?

Buy in playsets to reduce costs usually, I've been going to my lgs for 5 years or so and know the owners seeing as I'm a regular and decent at the game so they'll usually give me a discount.
It's not what you know it's who you know

No one had 10 years to play standard to maybe get into modern, the game doesn't have that much time left to it, so your little piece of advice was just a waste. Besides I find that modern and standard are different ball games entirely seeing as modern actually has combo decks that reliably kill on turn 4 or early and standard has recently been balanced to not do anything close. Also draft is a waste of money so bad advice.
0/10 die please

I mean sure dropping something t2 can be a tempo swing but thw mono W one is cheaper because no fetches/shocks unless you are playing with basics. I like the mono W one more (and the BW one even more, especially with AV running around)

>Draft is a waste of money.

Magic is a waste of money. We literally pay thousands of dollars to play a children's game. Everything we do is a waste of money.

Hell, I'd bet all the cash I've ever spent on this crap game that it will still be around for the next 25 years. Every set for the past 5 years has sold better than the one before. Tournament participation is up, MTGO community is growing, online streams are very popular. There's almost no reason to think it won't be around for at least another 10+ years.

Former GR Tron player here. Looking for a new deck to sink my teeth into. Taking Turns looks like fun. Can any experience pilots here recommend me a base list?

Play Jund

Why don't you just keep at it with Tron? All the MUs that were byes still are, thopter combos are a bye, control still folds to Sanctum of Ugin grabbing an Emrakul.

Been there, done that. Still have the Deathrites and BBs left over from it. I want to fuck around in the T2-3 bracket for a while.

I've been playing the deck for a long time and I feel like it's been thrown into disarray after the eye ban. I cannot tell you how much cognitive dissonance I feel when I see maps and scrying after getting the engine online. I'll return to it later but for now, it's time for a change of pace.

Just stick in Minderslaver+UG shock+Academy Ruins package in if you really need to put all your tutors to maximum use. Hell, even Urza's Factory stabilizes enough against fair decks for you to topdeck any business spell.

W-why can't I try new things user? Did I join a cult and not realize it? Is death the only true escape?

are there ANY cards that can alter the speed of a sorcery?

Quicken.

Several. Leyline of anticipation, hypersonic dragon, quicken. You can also search Google/ gatherer / any number of MTG apps like a real person.

Play BUG infect, it is awesome
Vedalken Orrery, Prophet of Kruphix

yeah I tried, I was missing the wording they use "as if they had flash"

thanks guys

is leyline of anticipation ever a good include if it's less than a set of 4?
it's either 2 x leyline or 2 x Vedalken Orrery.
hypersonic dragon is a close third.

I'm fucking off after this question, sorry.

>advice

You asked a question, dipshit, and he answered. Nowhere in your post did you ask for advice on how you should start.

It's generally a poor idea to enable your spells in that way. The spells you choose should be good already and not require a boost in efficiency. Leyline does nothing on its own and is dead in multiples.

If you want to cast your spells at instant speed, run instants or cards with flash. If the cards you've chosen aren't getting the job done with out instant speed and require enabling, I would recommend you take a step back and reexamine things. Additionally, if you just want to make good cards better, that's what we call winmore.

>be this guy
>cant english and doesnt afraid of anything
>5\7 shitposting
>wears a helmet in public
>has his own bus
I expect nothing less for the caliber of player in modern

i bought UWR Midrange in October 2013, then transitioned into UR Twin. Recently due to UNFORESEEN EVENTS I'm playing BWR Midrange and UWR Nahiri (pic), but I have all the pieces for every deck that isn't Robots or a Tron variant as far as paper is concerned.