Is "the evil sorcerer" the most common villain archetype? How would you innovate this concept?

Is "the evil sorcerer" the most common villain archetype? How would you innovate this concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B2pOaNcbRlw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The evil sorceror with an 18" prehensile penis. Women desire him.

Have him be the "pettily dickish" sorcerer or the "overly passive aggressive" sorcerer instead

I wouldn't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>the "pettily dickish" sorcerer
Sooo... youtube.com/watch?v=B2pOaNcbRlw basically?

>my sorcerer is an elephant
>your party is invalid

It's the most common fantasy villain archetype.

The most common outside of fantasy is the rich white male.

Pretty this. Most of the "innovations" on the concept are just de-constructions (the evil sorceror was good all along, he was controlled by something eviler, he was just trying to protect his people, ect) that are just as common as the original concept at this point.

The evil sorceror is actually fifteen cats in a hooded robe.

One cat controls the other forteen, but good luck finding out which.

Basically a council of evil wizards all controlling the same body, except this body sheds a lot since it's just a mass of cats that tries to move like a person and such.

You make them an Evil Warlock instead.

Wizard Magneto was a pretty good villain until the end.

>There lived a certain man in Russia long ago
>He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
>Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
>But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
>He could preach the bible like a preacher
>Full of ecstasy and fire
>But he also was the kind of teacher
>Women would desire

Every spell they cast takes the life of ine random person. They are tasked with both oppressing lesser humans and keeping them subjected, and ensuring they breed in sufficient numbers. We baselines would be nothing more than cattle in a typical predator/prey relationship.

Sure he was, but the ideas behind him are hardly new, original, or innovative. They were just executed well (until the end).

While we're on the series, I could probably think of something to say about Arba too, but she kinda just falls into the "controlled by an even MORE evil power" camp.

Evil sorcer

is also

CUTE LOLI

and also

SHE PRAGNETN

with

EVILER SORCER!

Magicjews was such a great arc.

Ra-Ra-Rasputin, Russia's own sex machine!

Evil sorcerer doesn't want to conquer the world, he just wants to have a good time. Pound some brews, listen to some sweet tunes, and sacrifice the occasional virgin for his magic parties.

An artist whose genius is beyond our comprehension already did when he cast Ray Liotta as one.

Greatest. Movie. Ever.

Said only Uwe Boll.

One of my best villains was an evil sorcerer who traveled to villages solving everyone's problems, leaving everyone happy and satisfied, and then secretly leveling the villages without anyone knowing, and leaving no evidence.

The party loved him.

It's greatest love machine ya goof.

at this point, the evil sorcerer is almost as common a hero archetype, especially in military fantasy

Evil Sorcerer...with an axe! Riding a dragon! Yeah!

>How would you innovate this concept?
For what purpose? Players like time proven concepts like that.

There's not one evil sorcerer. They are an entire cabal working in secret project to dominate the world.

The sorcerer is just a cog part of the greater evil machine made by the Church, the King and the Nobility!

Gestalt him as a summoner, warlord, stalker in pathfinder. It was a fun fight, punching the players 60 ft in the air for a total of 10d6 maneuver damage, 5d6+12 unarmed damage, and 6d6 falling damage, and having them land on another player, dealing 3d6 to the second player.

Maneuvers are fun.

The good necromancer
*tips fedora*

Give him the spell list to accomplish his goal.

The evil sorcerer is the most popular villain archetype for a reason - an evil sorcerer has the most resources for being a menace, capable of bending laws of physics to his will, summoning armies out of thin air and controlling the powers that be. In a magical fantasy setting no mundane could approach a wizard's potential, and if one does, they will end up controlled or subverted by the wizard. The same principle is why mad scientists and evil rich guys are popular non-fantasy villain archetypes.

1. The 'evil' sorcerer is actually doing evil deeds for the greater good.
2. The evil sorcerer is necessary for some sort of cosmic balance, if you kill him someone has to replace him.
3. The evil sorcerer is actually reasonable, if you offer him a different less evil way to achieve his goals he will do so.
4. The evil sorcerer is trope and narrative smart, he will find ways to fuck you up if you approach him in a traditional way.

>1. The 'evil' sorcerer is actually doing evil deeds for the greater good.
I fucking hate you people so much. The concept of the 'evil' guy being secretly good all along ceased to be entertaining when it became widespread, and it's fucks like you that ran it into the ground.

I was in a campaign where the evil sorcerer had a spell that would turn the leaders of oligarchic holy state into actual representations of the forces of law, light, justice, and vengeance they claimed to be.

The Leaders knew this and knew if it was activated, they would destroy everyone who was not perfectly righteous (read everyone not a blameless infant). The sorcerer held this as a weapon of mutual destruction if he ever felt the nation was threatening him. And so a hidden cold war lasted for years, with the evil mage holding the power to erase all evil from the country, perhaps even the continent or world, and the holy paladins and clerics knowingly allowing a powerful sorcerer to run rampant under their watch.

It was the only campaign I needed flow charts for.

None of the examples you cited is a deconstruction, just a twist.

>The Liche is a cute robot!

I don't know if it's innovative, but the sorcerer's motives are secretly EXTREMELY petty- and I mean to the point that if anyone other than his allies found out what he's spent all of his time working towards, they would probably tie him into a canvas bag and have everyone within a hundred miles take a crack at him with a steel club.
Basically, he's the sort of guy you would expect to have redeeming qualities but doesn't.