Wuxia art

I'm going to be starting a Legends of Wulin campaign soon, and I could use some character, weapon and location art for inspiration.

Dumping some of the stuff I already have to get this started.

Other urls found in this thread:

lilsuika.deviantart.com/gallery/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wuxia!

>I'm going to be starting a Legends of Wulin campaign soon
I'm jealous as fuck, OP. Could you provide us a rundown of the characters?

We're going to start the campaign with session zero, during which we make the characters, so they have yet to be made.

I'll dump some pics from my LotW folder. I love the game, and it's always good to have more useful reference images.

Posting Xiongu, in case they ever come up.

>tfw no one in my group will ever go for something like this

All I want to do is be a master tactician with a bit of a drinking problem and a mastery of drunken boxing.

Dang, my group's nothing like that. Our current campign won't be over for months and yet we're discussing characters we plan to play in the D&D campaign we're going to do once it's done, and some other shorter campaigns we plan to do. I don't know if we'll ever get around to that "classic heroes of Western literature but as Wulin" campaign...

>nice sui
>wide lapels
The 90s called, it wants it's suit back.

This is exceedingly interesting.

Yeah, it was part of a much larger dump that I foolishly did not save the entirety of.

Feel bad, because you are bad.

user these are gold! Thanx a lot

Yeah, I know. Don't remind me.

Isn't Korean clothing always having pants a RELATIVELY modern thing, due to the government mandating that women can't wear skirts or dresses?

Alright, as long as you display the proper remorse for the quality of your error.

lilsuika.deviantart.com/gallery/

Please Veeky Forums I'm already turning into a chinaboo don't corrupt me any further.

Thankfully, reverse-searching the images will turn up most of the content in the dump.

Why is it that every villain seems to be some bureaucratic eunuch?

Nobody likes bureaucrats and nobody likes eunuchs.

Because you can't say the emperor is bad, so when there's some corruption that goes beyond the local ministers you need to pin it on someone manipulating the emperor.

Because a lot of the villains were bureaucratic eunuchs. Half the reason the Ming dynasty fell apart was because of eunuchs basically taking control of the government.

As well, for hundreds of years China based things off of Confucian values, with a lot of respect for educated scholars and tradition. This promoted stability, but also left a lot of room for corruption that would honestly make things pretty shitty. Military secrets, however, were far more closely guarded, and outside forces like Mongols taking over was actually fairly rare.

Because of that one time in history they usurped all the practical power and ran the country into the ground, also

>This promoted stability, but also left a lot of room for corruption that would honestly make things pretty shitty.
This.
In Confucian practice, you CAN NOT rebuke an elder, no matter how much a fuck up they are, unless you take it to a power over them.

Yeah, and imagine when the elders are all members of the court! It's nearly impossible to counteract them. Beijing was a crazy city in some ways - you know how coruscant in Star Wars is a planet devoted entirely to government stuff? Beijing is like that. So you have all these people, many of them admittedly classically educated and not unintelligent, but often partially or completely unaware of the situation in the rest of China, let alone the world. So you have corrupt court officials mixed up with well-meaning nobles behind the times. There were a lot of 'powers behind the throne' and such, like Dowager Cixi. And on top of that, most of the time people just trusted the government as long as there wasn't much strife.

A less drastic example I can think of is Kang Youwei. He was a Chinese guy in the late 19th century who learned a lot about Europe and wanted to modernize China. He published a few books, had a protest, but the court wouldn't listen to him because he wasn't of high enough status. He had to pass the rest of the three-tier exam system (he had passed the first two exams before) to get to the level of status that the court had to listen. Of course it turned out the Emperor loved it, but there was a conservative backlash to the 100 days reform he proposed, and then things fucked up from there.

I just want to nut on her.
All over her face, watch it drip into her cleavage and stain her expensive robes.

You better step your game up then, because scoring with a woman of social and political status is no easy feat.

Is that a man or a woman?

And donĀ“t tell me "yes".

Alright.

No.

Probably

My game is stronk, user, you don't even know.
Maybe so.

You three...

My fault for specifying it. You win, anons...

Possibly.

>haughty, stuck up look
>sneers at me
Oh yeah, it's getting there.

You know, a "modern Wuxia" flick sounds like it might be kind of cool.

Is all magic martial arts?

the girl with the tea set is really cute

Any sufficiently advanced martial art is indistinguishable from magic.

Nope. Kung fu, at least theoretically, is entirely natural regardless of how it looks or manifests. It's just an expression of your Chi, which is a fundamental part of you, as natural as life itself.

Daoist sorcery, by contrast, is explicitly supernatural, doing things beyond and aside from Kung fu.

So if your kung fu allows you to spit fire, glow like the sun, and broil things with a glare... Why would anyone learn wizardry?
What would separate the two?

and all martial arts is magical.

I cannot say with certainty, but this is as I understand: Eastern Martial arts as we tend to know it today derives from the teachings and exercises of master Buddhist Monk Bodhidharma. His belief was that for enlightenment to be attained, one needed a sharp mind AND a strong body and thus trained the monks to get them into shape. (thus "kung fu" meaning "hard work")

Tied to this was various beliefs about how Enlightenment tended to grant esoteric powers, such as Bodhidharma famously boring holes into a rock with his intense stare. A lot of it though also probably draws from older beliefs about divinity.

So, at some point, magic and martial arts got interconnected in Eastern belief.

The gulf also might stem from Europe's largely Christian influence. Magic is the work of satan and satan's power is merely illusions, thus, those who practice magic cannot possibly be strong, because only the power of god is strong.

This is despite Odin being basically the Ur-Magical Warrior. (though I guess older religions with magic/warrior gods tended to do their more magical feats while disguised as fragile, old beggers)

This is all just based though on my limited knowledge and is basically from my ass.

China was a godly culture before the Gommunists

Where does the Nippon wanking come from?

>This is despite Odin being basically the Ur-Magical Warrior.
There is a reason the Norse belief was wiped out, user.
>thick
>Thick
>THICK GODDAMN

Japanese lore and history is just as outside the expected norm compared to European standards, and is far more exported to other nations.

Thats gorgeous.

China is somewhat insular, Japan has become extroverted to the West. I think that's the gist of it.

I think.

>There is a reason the Norse belief was wiped out, user.
I know, but I don't see how Odin multi-classing factors into it.