Sup guys, let's have a CYOA thread

Sup guys, let's have a CYOA thread.

First vote is for species and location.

Rules: please include specific instructions with your suggestion if you wish.

Try to keep suggestions to a reasonable number, vote for other anons ideas.

Ties are won by the first post

No rerolls

Have fun!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY
canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wastri
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

>Bullywug
>Swamp
A classic. Also, you might want to use this version, OP. Not needed but it's the newest one.

Cool thanks :) I'll give this another 3 minutes before finalizing the suggestion.

Wish they kept the fairy race.

>Wanting to play as most boring faction ever.

Machines in mana wastes,

The swamp is a murky, foul smelling, damp place. The thick canopy of trees strangles what little light reaches the sludge covered ground, giving the appearance of eternal twilight. Muck pools pepper the area, ranging from a few inches to a few feet deep, rancid bubbles pop and sputter intermittently along their surfaces. A single, I'll worn road winds it's way through the swamp, vanishing as it snakes to the east.

Thr'ull, croaks lazily as he squats on a rock near a particularly large pool. At least a 5 other bullywugs swim about, being unproductive as they wait for the hunting party to return. He gets his ancient staff, a relic from old that denotes his status as chieftain, it's bone charms rattling as it moved.

A) Gather materials
B) Send scout to find hunting party
C) Investigate road

Resources:
Food: 10 units
Materials: 0
Population: 9 + Thr'ull
Tools: The hunting party has two crudely made spears

>A) Gather materials
Build up our backup plans.

umm, okay? it was a tie and you still picked the first one. Cool.

I said in the OP, ties are won by first post, I was also in the process of writing when I read your post.

Thr'ull stands up and issues a loud croak, getting the attention of the swimming bullywugs. He motioned at the two largest, young males who were a bit too impulsive to be of much use on the hunt. He croaked out instructions, commanding them to gather vines and sticks as well as any stones they came across. The two hopped out of the pond and began arguing amongst themselves, trying to decide which direction was best.

A) east, towards the dense groves nearby
B) west, towards the road
C) north, towards a small cave a short distance away
D) south, towards the hunting party

Resources
Food : 10 units
Population:9+Thr'ull
Tools: hunting party's 2 crude spears

>D) south, towards the hunting party
If anything goes, we can croak for help.

2 more minutes until this is locked in

Thr'ull tapped his staff loudly and pointed to the south, where the hunting party had departed. The two males blinked slowly in understanding and hopped off, quickly traversing the muddy ground with each powerful leap. Before they vanished into the mists, Thr'ull saw them snag a few branches and creepers with their tongues, happy they were following orders. As he settled back onto his rock he couldn't help but hear a strange sound coming from the road, interrupted intermittently by a sharp crack.

A) Ignore the noise
B) investigate the road

Resources

>B) investigate the road

>B) investigate the road

Thr'ull was interested in the mysterious noise, he gave a loud croak and began to waddle towards the road. The two remaining bullywugs clambered out if the pond to follow. They were both female and a bit on the smaller side, one was an elder and was well versed in the ways of the swamp; the other was young, having just come of age a few months ago, she was clearly pregnant and moved slowly with her distended stomach. The shortage of food had taken its toll on her and she seemed quite fatigued.

A)Hide along the roadside (be specific as to how, who and where)
B) setup a body blockade
C)Use the pregnant female as bait

A)Hide along the roadside
The pregnant female is far enough to run away if this goes wrong but still able to see from the water. The second female and Thr'ull hide behind some bushes.

Hide, use other posts to designate. Also as another new person entering, I am happy with toad swamp :)

Can we mix these? Also, welcome.

5 minutes for more posts, either instructions or if more people what to vote for other options.

As an aside feel free to include constructive criticisms, this is my first thread.

Props for keeping us updated. A lot of QMs don't.

Thr'ull turned to the pregnant female and instructed she stay in the pond. With a relieved croak she fell back into the sludge, leaving only her eyes above the surface. Hearing the noise grow closer Thr'ull and the older female hopped to the roadside and concealed themselves in the thickest bushes available. The dense foliage made it difficult for Thr'ull to see, but he could see the eastern portion of the road, where the noise was coming from, well enough. After a few moments the source of the noise came into view, it was a large carriage, drawn by 2 large black horses. The carriage was made of gilded oak and had an elaborate, albeit somewhat torn, awning above the driver. The driver cracked a large menacing whip and with each movement of his arms his his silken clothes swayed about him. As Thr'ull concluded the man must be a merchant a series of loud panicked croaks came from the southwest.

A)Ambush the carriage
B) Attempt diplomacy
C) Do nothing
D) retreat and investigate the croaking

Resources

>D) retreat and investigate the croaking
We don't have the numbers for it. Maybe when we do and have a second chance.

retreat and investigate croaking

3 minutes til locked in

The sounds distressed Thr'ull and he worried for the safety of his people. With a sharp croak he tore away from the bushes and began hopping rapidly towards the sound. In his haste he forgot his ancient staff, luckily the elder female grabbed it as she followed, it's bone charms clattering loudly. Soon they reached a clearing where his seven bullywogs were battling a small troll. The troll stood about twice the height of the largest bullywog and was clearly a juvenile. It's thick greenish grey skin was peppered with small cuts and one of the crude spears hung from its throat. The beast swung it's arms and just barely missed one of the hunters, as the beast moved a wet wheeze could be heard and blood poured from it's throat wound.

A) Order a retreat
B) Fight the troll
C) Attempt an ambush from the tree above
D) Watch and do nothing

Resources

>C) Attempt an ambush from the tree above
Use your staff to hit the troll's head.

The old female hand Thr'ull his staff as he silently ascended a nearby tree. He wasn't suited for climbing but his fervor to protect his people drove him onward. Finally he made it high enough that he was well over the trolls head. Carefully he moved out on a limb, his wet, webbed feet slipping on the smooth bark. As he stood above the toll he hefted his staff and leapt down right as the troll looked up. The troll reached up and attempted to snatch Thr'ull from the air, but his bulky fingers could find no purchase on his damp skin. Thr'ull drove the base of the staff into the creatures left eye and leapt off as the beast recoiled in pain, landing safely some distance away but leaving the staff lodged in the trolls eye. Blood poured from the creatures throat as it attempted to howl and grab at the staff.

A) Order a retreat
B) Attempt to finish the troll off

Resources

B, Let's finish it off.

Alternatively if it was badly enough injured could wait for it to bleed out

>B) Attempt to finish the troll off
It's now or never. Stab at the throat with both spears.

or the other eye

The beast is sufficiently injured, but enraged, it will bleed out but thanks to trolls regenerative abilities it might take some time.

5 minutes until tie breaker is locked

I'll stick with finishing it off, then.
I would suggest a lower time limit, at least near the start, unless you're busy writing/preparing etc.

I could speed it up if you like, I figured five minutes was long enough to get votes/ prepare a bit

A because I bet that troll di'n do'o nu'ffin.

Wish we had a way to befriend him. We need big guys for might.

Thr'ull gave a loud, commanding croak, ordering the bullywogs on an all out attack. The others cracked in fevered agreement and began the assault. Using their long tongues they struck at the trolls good eye, using their saliva in an attempt to seal it closed. The spear wielding hunter rushed forward and jabbed at the behemoth several times in the stomach, tearing it open. The troll recoiled in pain and swiped at the ground before him, catching the hunter with just the tips of his massive fingers. The young bullywog was sent flying and smashed into amnesty tree with a loud thwack. Thr'ull charged into the fray as other bully wogs broke rank to tend to their fallen comrade. Hefting the bloodied spear Thr'ull drove it clean through the monstrosity's neck, causing an eruption of thick blood to cover him. The troll stumbled back and slumped against the tree Thr'ull had leapt from. It's breathing was ragged and growing slower by the second, as Thr'ull watched the beast's chest heaved one last time. Thr'ull turned from his fallen for and hopped over to his comrade, the hunter was alive but certainly unwell. One of his legs was bent unnaturally and blood was leaking from his earholes, the hunter let out a few weak croaks.

A) Harvest the troll for resources
B) care for wounded
C) both A and B
D) Harvest both the troll and kill the wounded

If option B or C is chosen a roll is required to save the wounded hunters life. Post ending in 1,3,7,9 will save him, any other number will result in immediate death. First post with a vote will be counted and only that post. (If he survives he will still need medical care for a time)

Resources

>C) both A and B
Goes nothing. Fudge.

Well, damn it.

Thr'ull croaked out his orders, splitting the bullywogs into two groups. The remaining hunters as well as the impulsive males set out to harvest whatever they could from the troll. Thr'ull and the elder female set to tend to the injured hunter. As the female went to gather herbs the wounded male began to convulse violently and the blood leaking from his ear holes came out much more rapidly. Thr'ull fell on his comrade attempting to steady him, but in mere moments the warrior was dead and limp in his arms. Thr'ull let out a sad wail that was parroted by the others. He ordered one of the other hunters to help him carry the body back to the pond and told the others to keep working.

A) Bury the body and give him honors
B) Harvest the corpse for resources
C) Dump the corpse somewhere
D) Use the corpse as bait (It will only last three turns before it rots away to being unusable)

Resources
Food: 10 units
Population: 8+Thr'ull
Tools: 2 crude spears

>) Bury the body and give him honors
He fought bravely.

Thr'ull and the hunter carry the corpse about a hundred feet from the pond they live in and set about digging a grave with their webbed hands. The muddy ground makes it easy to break the surface, but daunting work to make any progress. After many hours of tireless work a shallow grave as been dug, Thr'ull croaked loudly to call the rest of his people and within a few moments they all stood huddled about the grave. Thr'ull croaked out an ancient verse, passed down to each chieftain through the generations as the body was placed in the grave. Each bullywog took its turn to push mud over the body. When Thr'ull finished his rites the body was completely covered and his spear was placed to serve as a headstone. With heavy hearts the bullywogs went to finish harvesting the troll. By the time they were finished it was late into the night.

the next post will provide options

Thr'ull orders the bullywogs to retire for the night and offers congratulations for a job well done, despite today's losses. Day comes fast and soon it is well into the morning when Thr'ull finally stirs. A few of the other bullywogs are already swimming in the pond, careful not to disturb the others. Thr'ull examines the haul from yesterdays events and must make a decision as to what to do with them.

A) Weave baskets with sticks and vines to carry more items as well as store them
B) Make weapons using bone,rocks, and sticks
C) Have a feast
D) other (specify)

Resources
Food: 200 units (each bullywog consumes 1 unit per day, the pregnant female consumes 2 or suffers a fatigue penalty)
Materials: 15 units of Troll bone, 5 units of Troll hide, 25 units of Sticks, 10 units of stone
Tools: 1 crude spear

>) Make weapons using bone,rocks, and sticks
If this fight was any indicator then it was we need better weapons.

C) Have a feast

votes are tied, 5 minute til tie breaker

weapons

B) Weapon up in here

10 minutes later mein OP

Thr'ull decided that in light of yesterdays events, the tribe needed to be better prepared for combat. With a loud croak he roused the slumbering bullywugs and summoned them to a meeting before him. Using some sticks, creepers, and sharp bone fragments he demonstrated how to make a spear. The other Bullywugs nodded and began to take up the materials and start fashioning weapons. A particularly bright hunter began to fashion a shield from sticks, creepers, and a layer of troll hide. Another began to create makeshift darts with the scrap bone pieces.

A) Encourage their thinking
B) Reprimand them for not making spears
C) Other

Resources
food: 200 units
Materials: 10 units of Troll bone, 4 Units of troll hide, 20 Units of sticks, 10 units of stone
tools: 1 crude spear, 5 troll bone spears, 1 crude shield, 10 bone darts

>A) Encourage their thinking
No need to scold them for innovation but remind them they should still follow orders.

Encourage the one making a shield.

What if we made this quest about being a race of anti-bullywugs? A race once short and weak, turned into a race devoted to improving their defensive technology.

Our first sets of armor will be made of cheap driftwood and shit, but imagine being stone-age space marines/Evangelions.

youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

Encourage their thinking

That idea is too awesome to not second.

Even better, we could also make our religion based entirely around Tode, the Armor God.

Thr'ull hopped over to the bullywug making the shield and gave him a reassuring croak. After a brief visual inspection Thr'ull asked the hunter for his creation, which he happily obliged. As Thr'ull examined the shield he held it against his chest and rapped against the surface with his fist. The hunter bullywug was impressed and set about making another shield as Thr'ull went and demonstrated the newfound use to the other tribesmen.

sorry guys ive got to go, somene else take over the role of QM. Ill be back in a few hours if the thread s still up. If not ill make another. Thanks for being in my story!

My pleasure:

Resources

Materials: 10 units of Troll bone, 4 Units of troll hide, 20 Units of sticks, 10 units of stone

Religion: crude armor-based theology/ideology

What do?

Thanks for running.
>Scout the arena
I think it would best if you gave us options like scout, hunt, breed and whatnot.

Options please

Sorry, I'm used to running more "open" CQs.

A. Research. (specify)

B. Breed.

C. Explore (specify)

D. Other.

>Explore the outer reaches of the swamp.

On second thought, gather more food and material. We have a bullywug with child.

If no one responds in 5 minutes, give me a d100.

Rolled 47 (1d100)

Rolling.
Fudge...

An expedition for materials is sent into the bush. However, these attempt are fruitless, and the party even comes back in an almost manic state, claiming giants roam the outer grasslands of your home. One scout is missing half a leg.

Resources

Population: 7+Thr'ull+Cripple

Actions:

A. Research. (specify)

B. Breed.

C. Explore (specify)

D. Other.

Get cripple up a tree with blow darts to be a sentry

Explore area/Gather resources

This is good.

Give me a d100.

Rolled 89 (1d100)

Bump

The croaks and mucusy hoots echo through swampland as the scouting party comes back with several large loads of crafting gear and meat.

Driven by the paranoia of a potential attack from the "tree-toothed giants", the crippled bullywug spends every waking hour of his day preparing himself to protect the village with his dart skills. He finds that carving grooves in the recently crafted shield and strapping it to his wrist allows him to shoot darts with god-like precision.

Resources

Population: 7+Thr'ull+Cripple

Materials: 10 units of Troll bone, 4 Units of troll hide, 60 Units of sticks, 30 units of stone, large bundle of vines, 15 dead turtles.

tools: 1 crude spear, 5 troll bone spears, 1 crude dart flinger, 10 bone darts

Guys, I gotta go to. I only did this to prevent the thread from dying. Hopefully the original OP will return.

Thanks for QM-ing for a bit, though.

Anyone else here?

I'm here. Waiting for original QM to come back.

I would QM but im on my phone with no pc so typing is painful

I'll bump the thread while I can.

Same

REEE

Why do people think bullywugs are boring? I'm starting to like them a lot. Any race can be fun.

I agree bullywugs are cool

It's also fun to play uncommon races

*plaintively croaks*

Let just plan our actions guys:

If our goal is to become low-tech, crude Jaegers battling supposed loxo kaiju, then developing wearable stick armor and then constructing a mine will be our next two steps.

I like the idea of some sort of natural scale armor from a large fish or small drake/Dragon, etc.

I say we need a god or two also. Like this user's and I say Malu, goddess of water and birth. Like your idea as well.

We should worship Malu like you said or some druid-type deity

OP, if you see this, either continue running this thread, or start part two tomorrow. This HAS to become a series.

He said he will come back in some hours. Hopefully, it's true.

Thread started at 10 i believe

Our people should worship wastri, god of amphibians

canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wastri

Here's a link to a wiki page on him

He can be part of our pantheon.

Silence heathen! Tode is our one and only Lord!

I have a question on bullywugs, do they hatch from eggs and go through tadpole stage like grungs or something else?

Yes and that is why I pick the swamp. Plenty of water. Unless I'm mistaken on the breeding cycle of bullywugs. Currently, one of ours is pregnant.

Ok thanks I wasn't sure

Hey guys, OP here, I'm surprised the thread is still up, I'll be ready to QM again in about 15 minutes if you guys keep the thread alive. great job so far!

Welcome back.

Great thanks for not abandoning us

Alright, OP here, sorry about that had to go get Veeky Forums. Anyway im back for basically the rest of the night, i might have to pop away for a half hour but thats it. so, right now we are trying to fight the giants on the edge of our swamp by utilizing an armor emphasizing religion to become bullywug jaegers/space marines?

also would you guys like me to trip or stay anonymous?

I'm ready
You can stay anonymous if you want I don't think it matters

You stay Anonymous. if you want.
Trip if you plan to make a series.

I don't remember any giants