WIP Thread

Take proper pictures edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.co.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw [Open]

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNP7p5smZyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The new Orks are pretty good. I'm not an ultra fan of the shape of the armor itself, but I am a huge fan of walking juggernauts incased in armor.

>That Megaboss

Gazzie can go back to bed.

I would like to know if its okay to use thinned down GW paint with your airbrush pistol or if that shit clocks to hell and back and if its better to get the FW airbrush for that?

Second, anyone here, ANYONE knowing a place or a guy selling the Forgeworld Hive Tyrant Venom Cannon?

Airbrush acrylics is just thinned down regular acrylics so it won't be a problem.

I thin GW paints an airbrush them, they're fine if you get used to the right ratio of thinner to paint, which just comes with experience.

GW sell airbrush paints which need little to no thinner, but since they don't sell them in stores I only have a few. They seem good but I'd still use a drop of thinner to make them go a bit further.

Forgeworld airbrush paints are pretty damn good. I use their Corvus Black for lots of things, because it is just off black. Great for leather and stuff. They don't have much sticking power though so careful handling models with lots of them on it you haven't sealed.

I already posted this in the previous thread but can I get some C&C on my Storm Knight? I still have to add the extra smoke bits and maybe the lightning parts but I'm not too confident about making the lighting look nice. If you have any advice on that, it would be much appreciated. I'm done with him yet but atm strapped for time and cant immediately change him up.

please go easy on me, im inexperienced and i know i should have thinned my paints more.

Bump

I posted this in the last thread but it was pretty much dead.

I want to do nurgle but I don't want the cliche green or flesh color scheme.

would blue work? does it look like fungus enough?

>first time painting or sculpting, go easy

First minis in progress, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I could do with getting a small layer or detail brush to get anywhere near applying details. I'm not sure if black legion colour scheme goes well with marines but I want to give it a go.

So far I've applied a thin layer of balthusar and auric on top of the terminator with washes. I'm not sure if the paints are thinning or if thr terminator model is snap fit and poor in quality.

I'm trying to wash everything with Agrax including the black armour because I'm cheap. Basically does anyone have any advice how to improve or finish up?

Pic

WIP Orlock heavy with flamer.

Not that I have a heavy with flamer, but you never know.

Here's also a photo with a thin imperial primer layer.

I think it's an interesting idea, maybe make the edges of the mold brighter like in the actual pictures of the mold

Again

do you thing i could add bright orange highlights or would that look too much like fire

Had a wander into my FLGS and got this bad boy...with 15% off...feels good mang.

My heart says Rogue Trader colour scheme.

Also that photography article is pretty useful.

Salamanders RT color scheme.

But yeah, well done for this one. I got mine mine off ebay, as I wasn't in town when it got out. Went to my local GW, thought I might get one and offer it here, since I know many people here didn't get their own. But it apparently sold out in 2 hours in the shop.

Which FLGS is that then? I thought the only people still selling those were scalpers.

Anyone know how well high elf heads fit on stormcast? I want elven stormcast because reasons

So how would I go about converting a techmarine to an ordo mechanicus inquisitor? I was thinking about just sculpting him a hood and sticking some inquisition bits on him, but would there be a better way?

You need to make the edges white and fuzzy.

third attempt at marble (will apply gloss varnish later)

Not really. Some regular acrylic paints react badly with airbrush thinner. And you can further thin down airbrush paints, in fact you should never use airbrush paint directly from the pot into your airbrush.

that white marble is spot on, the black requires bits of quarts in it, but i can't say how that would be done

you've gotten the white bang on, it's way better than your first attempt, well done.

consider that my ability with photography fucks up the effect on the marble a little bit. black has more diluted lines and some lighter ones (where I still wobbled the hand to make it look less straight). maybe I should remove some of the lines though

well it's also thanks to you guys

White marble is much better.

Black on the other hand is still wayy to discernable. It doesn't look like random striages like it should be, right now it looks like thunder.

Nice Hammers of Dorn mate!

And I finished working on the VC Necrosphinx conversion. Now off to paint it

White looks great, nailed it.

I think a really really thinned glaze of brown over the black might help.

NEW PAINTING VIDEO FINALLY, BUT ITS NOT DUNCAN.

WHY.

youtube.com/watch?v=uNP7p5smZyQ

I was thinking of buying BaC and using green stuff to make my own CSM out of it.

I've never used green stuff before though. How hard would it be to make it look as if the marines own bones are growing OUT of their armor?

One in Glasgow, last one in stock unfortunately, the place is kinda out of the way and there's a nearby GW in a more central location.

Not sure about Salamanders, part of me says space sharks but I want to tery something a bit more elaborate, had an idea to do a horus heresy blackshield force in rogue trader colours

Not sure about the rest but with shoulder pads, drill them out from the inside so its like their bursting out

>Emma
Time to mute it.

Fuck, he's huge!

I thought I had already reached maximum want.

I really want to make a Megaboss that looks like this guy.

Oh I was just fucking with you, RT Salamanders color scheme is hell to paint.

Actually, her speeches are much better now, lot less weird up and down intonations for no reason.

I thought the same, brown orks as the Iron Horde could be fucking rad.

user you have no idea how tempted I am now to make each clan.

Blackrock would be easiest with these models, I feel like Shadowmoon will be a pain.

he can't paint everything

damn he's a big guy

Well their new weirdboy could fit if you just want to do one of each Clan.

A feral ork would be sorta good for Bleeding Hollow.

The problem is that now the warcraft orks are extremely muscular, and have a head a bit above their shoulders, unlike the standard warhammer ork. New ones are perfect for that, but if you add some GS to make a higer neck and bigger muscles on old orks you can do the other clans.

For you.

I could do just one special unit of each clan and then fill the troops with brown orks.

>try to be as neat as possible, it looks like a chinese toy
>get messy trying to give it a dirty and ruined look, it looks like shit

i should just go back to paint space marines

also is there a way to make chipped leather without leaving brush marks?

WHERE THE FUCK IS DUNCAN???

Who the fuck is this chong???

white marble looks amazing, very well done

I remember Vallejo paints getting all around positive reviews, but now I'm trying to acquire some and I forget if there's a difference between "model color" and "game color." Also, do tiny plastic dudes require a specific type of primer?

I usually tell people to re-size their needlessly large, uncropped png's, but please upsize your image.

It's looking really good so far, I think the issue is nothing pops. Maybe make the armor more shiny or add brighter highlights to the blue/green color. Keep going, I like him.

The armor shape is generic modern fantasy rocky/jagged/evil armor. See Deathwing from WoW, Darksiders, Warrior armor from WoW, comic books, Spawn's upgraded costume, League of Legends, etc.

The large, rocky, jagged carapace look is very popular for fantasy armor.

>being this hyped about Duncan
>that means he must have watched every tutorial video right
>wrong, because he doesn't know who this bitch is despite the fact she did the Alpha Legion and other tutorials only a couple months ago

Newfags pls.

A) Dafuck is with that image.
B)It looks pretty neat generally, you've got highlights and contrast, but I think adding an accent colour to the scheme would have helped.
As it stands, blue, bluegrey, grey and silver all very much blend into one.

I'm now cutting up some of the black and white stripes to try out as the wall paper, but the stripes kinda hurt my eyes to look at for a long time so this will take a while.

I've got some fancy card stock with silk or velvet texture that I'm thinking of cutting some rugs for the entry way and some of the long halls.

And I'm thinking of replacing the front porch area with some balsawood to make it look like a proper outside deck/porch.

Librarians can wear helmets right?

Yes.

Alright cool, I was planning to kitbash one and I didn't want to ruin it by having a helmet.

A) If I dont crop and screenshot, it comes out twice as big as pic related.
B) I dont know if I could add a third color, i feel like if I tried I would just get rid of all the work I've already done. I might add lightning because he has a few bits that come out of his cloud areas.

I updated it but I'm not sure it's coming out that well in pic or irl, it's definitely brighter but still looks like one. Thanks man, I'm having a lot of fun with this one.

The hood is the only important/unique part of the Librarian.

what are those wings made of?

Figured.

I bought a Grey Knight Purifier box since it comes with hoods, was planning to use it and other bits to make 5 different librarians.

>horned skull
>actual symbol of the librarius

Pretty sure that's the symbol for one of the ranks, not the librarius as a whole. It's also not required and there are official Librarian models without the iconography.

Don't forget books and loincloths. AND FORCE STICKS. Can't forget your space wizard stick.

>tfw all my librarians use swords
WARRIOR
NERDS

>symbol for one of the ranks

That's having a skull in your tabard-edging. The horned skull and book are the symbols of the Librarius.

>A Librarian of a Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter wears blue Power Armour with the Chapter badge on the left shoulder plate, while on his right he has the Horned Skull or Open Book of the Librarium -- ancient and potent icons symbolising the power and knowledge that the Librarian possesses

>implying staff monks aren't the coolest

Unenlightened pls

Iconography is irrelevant to WYSIWYG. It's like saying the tactical squad marking is the most important part of tactical squads, rather than the power armor and bolter.

staff monks are just tryhards

AXES ARE WHERE IT'S AT

Dont they need keys or something too?

>tfw realizing that my homebrew doesn't follow codex rules for shit beyond company trim
oops

If it had been exclusively about WYSIWYG then that would be legit, however

>The hood is the only important/unique part of the Librarian.

>tfw you realize there should be FORCE FISTS

>axe monk

This is my way. This path of axe.

Read the post it's responding to. It's a modelling discussion. It's called context. You should be able to fill in the lines with reading comprehension. Posters aren't required to be technically correct and spell it out every last single detail to prevent autists from going "well ackshually" and nitpick every single thing they say.

Fuck you, FORCE HAMMER is objectively the best.

Brain or brawn? FUCK THAT! BASH IN HEADS WITH YOUR MIND AND ALSO A HAMMER! ALL BRAWN! BRAWN IN THE HAND, BRAWN IN THE HEAD! YOUR BRAIN IS JUST ANOTHER FIST!

Unusual force weapon, defaulted to sword stats.

Force blunt weapon, defaults to force mace/staff.

Or did you want a THUNDERFORCE HAMMER?

THUNDERFORCE THUNDERHAMMER

I want to make a Deatwatch Terminator force. It's gonna be 10 termies and a librarian.
Can I give the plastic terminator librarian a helmet or am I forced to use the bare head?
Is the Deathwing's kit good for making non-DA models or should I just stick to the standard teminator kit with a few fancy bits thrown in?

You can, but you'd have to cut away his face and widen the hole a bit. It looks really good though. The old metal terminator grey knights and librarians had helmets.

The Deathwing kit and DV are nice, but they have a lot of winged swords on them.

The most important part about making a Deathwatch force is having the Deathwatch shoulder pad and painting them black with a silver arm. Should be very easy to do, especially with eBay for the cheap shoulders (everyone wants the power armor one so there's tons of Terminator ones) and the Deathwatch Overkill models for that awesome Salamander.

The DA also get a Deathwatch shoulder for their Deathwing.

I had to go back and change all the DW's in this post to Deathwatch and Deathwing.

Trying out a headswap for The Night Haunter here. I wanted a second opinion on the head-size.

I think it looks fine, even offsets the heroic scale a bit. but I don't trust myself.

Wait for the FW helmets.

>helmeted Primarchs

Not even once.

>Librarians can wear helmets right?

Don't be sad, 'cause two outta three ain't bad.

After setting the head a bit better I'm starting to think it's too small.

Wooo. Finished my first Kabalite Squad and Venom. Magnetized the Venom's base because fuck skimmer bases. Anyone have a list of paint schemes? I like the default, but I want to explore my options if it limits the amount of highlighting I do because I SUCK at it.

>Forgetting image

Making terrain, wanted a divider so it counted as a full wall, then fell in love with the air compressor and now I don't know what to put into the void.

A church

You can get a tabletop standard just from drybrushing.

These are WIP from a year ago. I was mid-way through the fine-highlighting.

Armour was: incubi darkness, sybarite green, blue wash (sometimes twice).

Then you can highlight the edges with sybarite green again (like the legs have been done).

Also I would recommend the Death Guard HH scheme for Dark Eldar as well. Bone armour, and a few green plates, with some steel and brass metallics.

Oh, shit. I just realized that. I can do drybrushing quite well. Then I can just cover what I don't want up with some Incubi Darkness. Thanks.

I want to give a few of my Oath Broken marines in my Black Legion army some cybernetics, a few fake legs/arms and eye lenses.

What are some good bits to do this? Thought about using a Necron leg but it might be a bit too recognizable although I guess it could work as the Oath Broken once mercenary'd for crons and got paid in tech, but eh . . . wat do

Yeah it's getting eaten up in there. Not a fan of the head that comes with the kit either, interested in what you end up using.

balsawood - I made those ridges to resemble GW style woodgrain and then covered it with some super glue to make it hard

That's what my guess was. I'm going to use this liberally when I get to makin' my orky/orcish terrain. I might skip the super glue step though since I don't care for using that stuff If it can be avoided...

>GW makes new painting tutorial videos
>With Emma instead of Duncan
she's not that bad at painting, certainly better than me, but her voice is just so bland and annoying.

I made something today.

Found a bag of old unfinished terrain projects and tried to salvage a few.

that's pretty nifty