IDS HAPPING

IDS HAPPING

Pdf too big to upload directly here

Link: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

I'm beyond excited for the future.
It was a decent PDF, and I am really looking forward to them doing more and/or doing them in a more in-depth way.

"It's about time"

wow, this is pretty cool, they don't have any more like these do they? id support them in making more.

Wow. Just wow.

If they actually go somewhere with this, it could be huge.

Nice.
But is it pre-Eldrazi or post-Eldrazi Zendikar?

Either or. They give you Eldrazi stats to work with, so you could in theory do pre-during-post if you want. Now I need that Art book, might end up running a small session of this.

FUCKIN YES

I will throw money at WotC to get more of these. Maybe some plane specific deities/religions so that Clerics aren't out of flavor or done badly. I want this to happen so bad.

This is kind of interesting. What happens in D&D if you're a cleric who receives your powers from a god but it turns out that god isn't really a god after all? I'm not convinced D&D is the best system for any MtG roleplaying but let's be honest, actually publishing campaign settings for MtG planes in D&D has been a long time coming.

Interedasting. I'd give it a whirl.

Fucking finally. Now where's Ravnica.

This is a bit sparse, too light on changes to capture the 'feel' of magic. It deserves a more detailed supplement.

My biggest issue is going to be the inevitable attempt at combining alignment and color by shitty DMs.

Fuck alignments, but giving colors to characters would be rad as hell. Red gives you +1 to damage and initiative, and blue +4 skill points per level or something.

I think that is completely missing the point.

Best plane when?

Also has anyone played that homebrew Innistrad adventure Army of the Damned? It looked neat but I haven't looked into it too much.

>red is shit
>blue is awesome
hahahahahah its just like my trading cards

I've been meaning to run it but I want to figure out a homebrew color system first.

Pre-conflux Bant would be pretty boring
Now, post-conflux Alara, with all the shards discovering their respectives missing manas, would be pretty neat to play in

The vampire race is awesome

Holy FUCK all I've ever wanted is one of these for the Mirran-Phyrexian War Era on Mirrodin.

How often does the Kor racial Lucky go off?

Is it assumed to be once per Long Rest?

It goes off 5% of the time. Just like the halfling trait of the same time.

Wait does the Vampires 'Blood Thirst' allow them to make Zombies that serve them?

Always wanted a cluster of some of the most iconic planes.
Mirrodin, Ravnica, Alara, Innistrad, Kamigawa, Tarkir.
Please Wizards don't screw this up

Every Natural One you roll, except on Death Saves, as those can't be manipulated by any features.

I've already played a homebrew game of pathfinder in which I replaced alignment with the color pie. All my players were Magic players, so it made sense to them, and it helped give them a sense of their characters without shoe-horning them into a role too hard. It also helped create a morally ambiguous atmosphere.

So what would be a good way to incorporate mana?

Total spell slots combined determine your mana, the spell slot is the mana cost? ergo lvl 1 spell is 1 mana, level 5 spell costs 5 mana. Problem would be that you can cast far too many low level spells...

Also your aligment should be determined by the color pie. So you don't choose any of the standard aligment, you choose your colors.

How could we make the ultimate Kor?

>Fighter
>Dual Wield feat
>2 whips

This. I mean they have no excuse now. Though I will say that Zendikar is a little more of an obvious "D&D world" than Ravnica.

alignment should be seperate from color, elesh norn is lawful evil and white.
Color should decide what alignments youre able to choose from

I'd suggest removing alignments completly in favor of colours. It's a different way of looking at values and morality and conflicts too much with the traditional alignment system.

Ok, when I understood what it was I got hype as fuck.
Then I opened and read the PDF.
It's cool, but they really should go deeper. Add a few special rules to make magic closer to how it works in MtG (colors, mana and all that stuff) (though I don't know how magic works in the last D&D iteration), give rules for the gods, maybe for planeswalking. I think they need to replace alignment with color identity.
I also, probably like most of you, think they should make supplements for other planes. With one or two specific rules for each plane (influence of Innistrad moons, guild-specific classes/abilities on Ravnica...).

If they do that, they might get me to buy D&D 5e. I've got nothing against D&D, but I never really felt compelled to play it.

Alignments in D&D are absolute. Good and Evil are as real as gravity. It isn't the case in MtG. Colors hold that role. So colors and alignment are conflicting concepts on a "metaphysical" level, and combining the two would probably end causing problems on a rules level.

As I said in my previous post, I don't know how the latest DnD rules work. But I guess you could have to extract mana from your surroundings (lands) or from specific events (someone getting angry gives you Red mana, someone giving birth gives you green, etc), and you could only have as much mana as you have spell slots.

There are slots, you gain them as you level. On level 1 you might have 2 level on spell slots. That mean you can 2 level 1 spells per long rest. As you gain levels you gain more slots and more levels.

At level 5 you might have 5 level 1 slots, 4 level 2 slots and 2 level 3 slots. It would be cool to add some abilities that allow you to siphon the land for regaining slots instead of the mechanic you have now.

In 5e you regain all slots during a long rest and some classes also regain a certain amount per short rest. Problem is, as soon as you start tinkering with the base system then a lot of the balance options in the entire book change.

*taps 15 forests internally*

After i read the pdf, the totally tied color to alignment with the races.

that's dumb, but also something that can be houseruled away

I ran a long D&D Magic campaign, started in 3.5 and then converted (with great success) to 4e.
I always struggled to incorporate the color aspects into the game, while on the other hand I generally avoid alignments because I feel they don't add much to the game.
My resolution was to give access to specific traits that were at least thematically similar to the most frequent keywords, things like extra feats or minor spell abilities.
I don't think it would be hard to do something like that in 5e, especially considering how wide are feats there.

Well, this is a free PDF after all, and as they say it's a sort of companion to the art guide where there is a lot more information on the world. I think they are testing the reception before making a full-blown supplement.
5e is not my preferred game either, but once you have all the setting info in one place it won't be hard to convert.

White is Good
Black is Evil
Red is Chaos
Blue is Law
ta-daaaaa.

Surprised they actually did it.

I think I've got an idea how to make DnD casting more like MTG

First, and the most tedious, sort all the existing spells by color. There might be some difficult cases to sort, but generally getting everything under a color shouldn't be too difficult.

Next, apply the Spell Points variant from the DMG. This makes casting behave more like vidya casting where you have a single mana pool everything draws from.

Then, make it so players have to allocate their Spell points to different colors. For example, if you have 20 spellpoints and know a Blue and a Red spell, you could get 18 Red and 2 Blue, so that you could spam the red one, or go for 10 10 as an even split.

Then you can pet players fiddle with their split as they level, or possibly by a few points from day to day.

>Konda
>Heliod
>Elesh Norn
>Augustin IV
>Good
Also
>Good Evil
>Lawful Chaos

White is Law more than anything else, and certainly isn't Good. Red is Chaos, and none of the other colors really map to alignments at all, and you can have a white/red character perfectly fine - a one to one for colors and alignments just doesn't work.

>none of the other colours really map to alignments at all
>The motherfucker will try to tell us Black does cleave hard to Evil

Black ranges from 'self interested neutral' to 'full time BBEG with a bold 72 point E', so no, it does not cleave hard to Evil.
It IS, however, nonGood. But nonGood does not mean Evil, because neutrality exists.

Black is selfishness and ambition, niether of which are inherently bad. Black is closer to amoral than evil.

I think you might be able to make a case for one of those "enlightened self interest" types to be both black and good, or perhaps someone like Cain who realizes that doing good and making friends is the best way to save his own ass. There's also nothing stopping someone from being good for selfish reasons.

I wonder if this is a test run to gauge interest in a full product.

>selfishness
That is literally what D&D defines as Evil.