Ever played a character that "breaks the 4th wall" ?

Ever played a character that "breaks the 4th wall" ?

Yeah, then he broke the fifth, sixth and seventh walls to escape a labyrinth.

No, and if someone in my group did I'd probably break their spine
>Sensible kek

I once had a character that believed he was being watched by beings from another plane whenever he fought so he always fought with flair: adding flips, twirls and other flashy shit. Sometimes adding quips on kills to look even more awesome.

Does that count?

That might work for groups that get into character more than mine does. As it is we're constantly quipping and joking out of character, so doing it in character isn't going to have much of an impact on our games.

Our current game is disney themed. My mage occasionally gives 'look at the shit I have to put up with' type looks towards the forth wall, along with the occasional comment about things being offscreen or suchlike.

If you think about it, it can be entertaining.
The GM will be a voice in the PC's head and said PC's will make remarks on rolls being made like: "all life is a roll of dice, sometimes you are lucky and sometime you are not"

So, Red Mage?

Not a character but I once faced a 4th wall trap.
The trap could read the mind of any character that wailed a Will save. Any time the character or player said the word "frog" an alter would spawn a small but aggressive frog monster. As the party tried to strategise against the threat more and more monsters poured from the alter. We caught on eventually.

That's a lot better than just saying "WHAT IF THIS IS JUAT A GAME?!" then looking at everyone around the table, expecting a laugh.

I think we've all made 4th-wall breaking character quips around my table because you can't take this stuff too seriously. Obviously if you comment "in character" on something that obviously requires ooc knowledge then it's off the record, not canon, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't affect the game's continuity.

That's just having a low level of awareness, which is lower on the scale than full on 4th wall breaking.

Yes I once played a wizard who casted meta magic.

My player once asked sn npc how fast he could run so I responded "ummm..about 30 feet a round."

That's pretty slow seeing as running as a fully round action quadruples your normal speed.

He was rather fat and it was off the top of my head.
Anyway, I used to have npcs acknowledge they were paying the party in the abstract concept of wealth.

Thats called meta gaming, and it isnt welcome here.

In the last session of my pirate game, one of the PCs asked the ship quartermaster (npc) a suggestion for an upcoming battle with a rival.
He just shrugged and said "I really wish to help, cap'n, but the GM said he'd kill me if I do."

No, because then the ceiling will fall on him.

I haven't. But I ran a game for a guy who had "rpg design" as a skill on his list. I described things to him differently and he never caught it.

I've broken the 4th wall when playing for a joke, albeit possible yet highly unlikely for my character to understand he's in a game.

I grabbed onto an NPC's hand and made sure she came with me.

"Every time you NPCs leave my sight the Storyteller kills you"
What?!
"Nevermind you're coming with me!"

It wasn't a big deal to the group and people laughed. In character the group usually believed most of the things my character said even if they sounded insane because he could see the future.

I am so sick of that trope you arent funny you arent clever just stop. Why even roleplay if your character is constantly breaking the immersion

This is a more interesting use of it.

Having a character who's into solipsism but doesn't actually address the 4th wall, simply acts as though it's there.

I need to do this. Also nice dubs

The closer I did was making an NPC say "they have not been invented yet" when a PC wanted to order spaghetti.

Not that I can really recall, but I have a character coming up who I might, kinda.

It's a super long running game in a fairly typical fantasy setting, but for my next character I'm playing a space-alien. The gag is already that they're super out of place as this bizare, sci-fi, wacky alien in this medieval fantasy setting (though some alien invaders did show up briefly at one point ages ago), so I feel like some subtle 4th wall humor wouldn't be out of place.

>LOL LOOK AT ME IM LIKE DEADPOOL, LULZ SO RANDUM
I'd just kick them from the group.

I used to have a NPC who fought with the group in a super hero setting and his power was only that he knew he was a comic MC and so were they. He fought reckless as shit because he knew they couldn't kill him off permanently. Eventually they came across a serum that would give someone super powers but they were hesitant and he shotgunned it and he then became as powerful as the PCs. He was fun.

>crit a perception check
>dm tells me to roll another d20
>nat 20 again
>dm describes my character momentarily seeing through the fabric of reality and catching a glimpse of a bunch of unshaven men staring at a die and laughing their asses off

Skill checks don't work that way.

They do if the DM says they do. Please sit back down.

Had a whole game like that.
The GM had read (probably just a plot synopsis of) The Golden Compass and wanted to run a campaign to kill God.
It turned into the players rebelling against God(named Matthew, the GM's name) and trying to wrest control of the plot from him, led by the GMPC.
So we ended up facing off against a Writer's Guild, who controlled all thought and plot in the world by controlling and distributing Narrativium whom God(Matthew) had gone to for protection from the players. Eventually the GMPC managed to gain control of the Guild and took control of the plot and was making everything so "badass because he was so cool and badass." We(the party) tried to rescue the GMPC from the Guild while stopping them from gaining a Macguffin made up of tropes that would give absolute narrative power to any who possessed it.
And then we remembered we were supposed to have been trying to rescue a princess years ago. The King had eventually just paid the ransom and the princess married a nice prince from a neighboring kingdom and had had three kids by the time we got back to that plot.

no. that's not 4th wall breaking, your DM sucks and should've had you made int rolls

see

Character awareness of the table is dumb. Wizard awareness of previous editions of the universe is pretty reasonable.

Your DM is an idiot, then.

So you were a less cute Gwenpool.

Eh, all of my characters can tell that the other characters are played by PC's. It helps way more than it hinders anything.

please hang yourself by the neck until you are dead

The golden compass is a shit

A friend of mine once played a raciest redneck in game.

Redneck got into an fight about what they should do next with the rest of the group and one of the other characters sided with him.

He puts on his best redneck accent and scowls. "Well I don't like this y'all. Only Steve agrees with me and I know I can't trust him 'cuz his player is a nigger"

Whole fucking table freezes for a second, then we start laughing.

>stop having fun!

that is so FUCKING DEEP
i am literally screaming

I had a character that made sly jokes about IRL history.
We had an importing business, and one of our most profitable items was tea. When it was mentioned our business was destabilizing certain regimes, my character replied "Don't be absurd, whoever would fight a war over tea?"

The closest I've been is the campaign I've just finished, where all the retcons due to players leaving were in-universe, and through mucking about they eventually accidentally met their non-retconned alternate selves, and shit hit the metaphorical fan.

The same campaign had an ork weirdboy who would rant and shout about rattling noises whenever anybody would roll dice. They caught on eventually.

Oh, and much like , my characters has sometimes made quips with a bit of reality subtext, but mostly for jokes.

But what if he is a realy realy good tera-cota monk?

As a GM, I do it all the time, at least once per session. Its pretty understood that I can do it and the players cannot.

No. Because that shit is stupid

No, but the BBEG of my next campaign did via Divination. He wasn't even trying to, it just happened.

Of course, once he realized he wasn't real, he reached the conclusion that NOBODY in the setting was, learned how to replicate his mistake on demand, and is enacting a plan to ascend into reality with all of his powers intact.

He watches the PC's fighting styles by scrying on the players from his specialized scrying-amplification tower and copying down any mentioned spells or feats, as well as any mentioned deficiencies. He learns which NPC's he should capture and ransom by combing through both the PCs' backstories and my notes.

Unfortunately he refuses to believe the part in the notes where it says he's doomed to fail.

My ork weird boy once had a bad roll on perils so I RPd that he saw through my eyes for a moment, he would mutter about dice rolls for some time after that

Your mage sounds like an exasperated fag.

Closest we've gotten is roleplaying games being mentioned within roleplaying games
One of us got our hands on one of the game's rulebook once

Lee was cool, though.

My latest character will occasionally lean on it. For example, I was talking to an NPC who preparing for a mage's school exam and I told her to "Remember that the line of curing magicks gets reclassified every five years or so. First it was necromancy, then conjuration, and now it's evocation for some godsdamned reason."

I once referred to my GM in character as a voice I keep hearing in my head

I was in a don't rest your head campaign once, one of the characters made had the madness power of being able to talk to ghosts spirits and elementals, shit like that

anyway, at one point towards the end of the campaign shit was going south fast, we needed information on any weaknesses this nightmare being fought may have had, and we needed them immediately. so the guy playing the ghost whisperer rolled full madness, lost his last disipline die and turning into a nightmare, but not before saying these immortal words

"I would like to ask the GM a question"

>There will never be another 8-bit comic
>You will never again venture into the cave of no return with Fighter to obtain the suit of armor
>Thief will never again lay evil and enigmatic plans that backfire as his alignment shifts
>White mage will never again call you a pervert and beat you
>Black mage will never again say something awkward, harass everyone, and then cause mass destruction
>Red mage will never again take you to the Ackhbar's Definitely-Not-A-Deathtrap Airship botique
>Monk will never again be a useless addition to the story.

why

live

>The golden compass is a shit
Correct.

The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy was awesome, however.

>mfw everyone in the theater "WHOA!"'d at this moment, alerting me that I was the only one in the theater who had read the books

Extremely hard to do well. I played a Malkavian once who was convinced he was in a film noir movie, and constantly narrated his own life in a gritty gumshoe style, including things like plot twists and cliches common to that genre.

It was fucking exhausting and I dropped the ball after four sessions when I kept slipping out of prose. It went pretty well until that point.

Was that the one with Robert De Niro as the gay sky pirate, or was that Stardust?

>>You will never again venture into the cave of no return with Fighter to obtain the suit of armor
Don't you mean the Armoire of Invincibility?

Not in a hard way. Characters I make just always have dice in their inventory and will gamble with them at appropriate opportunities, but will sometimes hint at an odd paranoia or sense of deja vu in doing so.

No, but apparently, one of the DC-based RPGs includes a campaign centered around Ambush Bug, complete with a paper mask for the GM to wear while talking to and interacting with the players themselves in-character as Ambush Bug.