/qst/ - Quests Feedback & Suggestions Thread

It's been a long time coming but we're finally creating a quest board. We're going to give it some unique features to help quest authors and before we open the board to posting we want to give anons an opportunity to give some feedback on what we've come up with. We also have a basic set of rules that we'd like the people who are going to be using the board to critique.

/qst/ - Quests
Safe for workBump limit 1000User IDsOnly OP can post imagesOP can use basic text formatting (bold, italics, a handful of text colors)Everyone gets dice
The point of limiting images to the OP is to make sure that people don't get distracted by reaction images, and to allow the OP more control over the setting and tone in the thread. The OP is the quest author, and if only they can post images then they have a greater ability to create a mood, an atmosphere for the story they are trying to tell. It also limits the potential for spamming and intentional derails by trolls. Same goes for limiting text formatting to quest authors. The point of italics, bold, and colored text is to give the quest author more options in how they present their story. Maybe they want to use italics for character dialog, maybe they want to use bold for labeling important items, or maybe they want to use colors to highlight key words. These features are being added for the benefit of the quest author, and not for funposting.

Here are the basic rules we've come up with:
This board is for author-driven collaborative storytelling (i.e. "quests"). All threads posted here should be part of a new or ongoing quest.The author controls the story of the quest. They can take suggestions from other posters, or not, at their sole discretion. If things don't go your way don't complain!All threads on this board should be created by the associated quest author. Please refrain from making meta-threads.Erotic roleplay is not permitted. Frequent explicit descriptions of sexual encounters by a quest author may result in mod intervention.
The result of rules 1 & 3 should be that every thread on /qst/ has a quest author as the OP, and therefore the author would have access to images and text formatting options that come with being the thread OP. If you create a thread on /qst/ without intending to run a quest then your thread is going to get deleted. Same goes for if you create a thread begging for a quest author to post more, or if you create a thread to talk about an ongoing quest, etc. All threads must be new or ongoing quests, period. Rule 2 is pretty self-explanatory: the quest author controls the story, period. Don't be an arse and try to flip the table just because the quest author didn't take your suggestion. Rule 4 is probably going to get a lot of criticism, but it's necessary. The main reason we took so long to make this board is that we didn't want to create a haven for erotic roleplay and erotic fan fiction. While we've given quest authors a lot of leeway on this on Veeky Forums, we have had to intervene a few times in the past when quests turned into wank material. We're aiming for adventure, exploration, suspense, mystery, etc, and not erotica. If you want erotica try another venue. That's not to say that everything has to be G-rated; just that if as a quest author you're spending most of your time describing sex in graphic detail, then odds are a mod is going to warn you to "fade to black" instead.

We'd like to know what fa/tg/uys think about all this. We're open to suggestions/feedback/criticism/whatever.

>Erotic roleplay is not permitted
Fuck, but I want smut-fags to leave. too.

Didn't moot suggest a role-playing board years and years and years ago? He said he'd have an idea "by the weekend" or something, it never happened.

What about a general play-by-post role-playing, quest, and forum games board? Quests seem pretty specific and might not be big enough to fill ten pages on their own.

So, what's the reason to make it safe for work?

My IP address pretty regularly resets. It really helps when I samefag on other boards but it seems like it would leave a quest thread headless if I tried to start one.

So no fanarts, drawfags, mixtapes, and users collaborating on plans and stuff for quests ever?

Got it.

>EROTIC ROLEPLAY

we have to keep those degenerates from writing about holding their waifu's hands, also Id's are going to be a pain for questers who want their players to remain anonymous.

>Erotic roleplay is not permitted. Frequent explicit descriptions of sexual encounters by a quest author may result in mod intervention.
CAN YOU SPECIFY THAT /d/ CAN HAVE THESE QUESTS THEN?

I'm assuming Veeky Forums would be a launchpad? Seems like it would help quests but not really clean up Veeky Forums.

Aww, now you're giving the crybabies what they want. Oh well. This is just going to contribute to a smug sense of acomplishment and entitlement and I hope you stop listening to them in the future.
Well, to be constructive, User IDs should be thread specific, if that's not already your idea. Prolific players might start getting reputations and it will keep drama down if you can't tell who is who (Aside from the trip posting QM) from one thread to the next.

Never mind, saw that you want to make it a kiddy corner where 12 years old can write their first naruto fanfic.

As an anti-quest fag, thank god.

That said, "Only OP can post images" is not good. Questfags sometimes need diagrams to explain complex concepts in certain quests (usually the better ones that aren't shitty "A: Seduce waifu or B: Rape Waifu" choice quests.)

The explanation that you don't want it to be a haven for ERP fails, as textlewd is very possible, additionally they'll just link lewd images from imgur or something.

>While we've given quest authors a lot of leeway on this on Veeky Forums, we have had to intervene a few times in the past when quests turned into wank material
The 500 Waifu quests say otherwise. Keep pictures.

Letting participants post pictures could help - marking locations on a map and such. Other than that, fantastic news.

This is a horrible Idea

Limiting image posting to OP alone feels too restrictive desu. Spamming and funposting is liable to happen regardless whether it is accompanied by images or not when someone takes offence to the quest or its development, resulting in mod/janitor being alerted regardless, and preventing other participants from contributing pictures might only end up being an annoying restrictions on people who may genuinely have something to add to the story by posting a picture OP didn't think of.

How about there being a "quest general" instead of an across the board ban for meta discussion? I think then you could have a place for people to ask for advice, talk about different quest systems, and ask when the next session for a quest will be.

Well, this place isn't anonkun, and users like to draw up maps and other stuff to discuss tactics and strategy to get shit done in quests. Aside from budget and resource management.

How do you suppose we do that? Gonna ban imgur links and PDFs?

Where does all the art by the quest readers go to? Have you actually been to Veeky Forums?

When will we learn what was the first kitties?

I think allowing images is important. Maybe limit them in some other way so people won't spam them, but I think drawfags alone are enough to warrant allowing them.

I think that the rules are way too strict, specially the part of only OP being allowed to post pictures and the erotic part. This is supposed to be a +18 place. Many stories have some part of sexual point, be it rape or just for the sake of plot convenience. This isn't fanfiction.net. Also many quest have maps that many anons collaborate or drawfags that contribute to the thread.

Third-party site.

This shouldn't be an issue so long as you don't also block cookies.

Please atleast read a couple of popular quests to see how they are run before using your God Powers to fuck things up for us plebians at the bottom

Could make it so OP can chose to allow images or not, since they're getting special authority as the author anyway.

>Erotic roleplay is not permitted. Frequent explicit descriptions of sexual encounters by a quest author may result in mod intervention.

Right, so we're staying on Veeky Forums then?

This sounds good, a rolling sticky for meta maybe.

When would it happen? Would quests that are currently active here, have to transition over?

Also while I understand the point of the OP being only able to post pics, I disagree with it, since contributions from players are often helpful and great highlights of quests. Like if it's a written quest because the OP isn't a great artist, what if a player wants to draw some stuff for it to contribute? Or even simpler, if they want to help out with something like maps, diagrams, or even just post fanart? Also of course, kind of hinders quests that have more than one person running it, or are multiplayer in nature and require multiple players to post pics.

Maybe make it that OP has an option to allow players to also post pics? Like it's an option they can check or uncheck when creating a thread?

>Only OP can post images
wut, that's a terrible idea. Quest players always provide fan art, diagrams, strategies, etc. Discouraging that seems counter intuitive

>Only OP can post images
This is the only part I disagree with.

Mostly because quests tend to get lots of fanart and such and by blocking those out, that means that nobody can post their fanart. Some quest runners like myself don't actually post images at all.

That could be a good call.

>The main reason we took so long to make this board is that we didn't want to create a haven for erotic roleplay and erotic fan fiction.
Why?
I'd like some reasoning behind this. Plenty of quests have been explicitly lewd in the past and have quite literally been the most popular, if anything, wouldn't quest trends say that this board should be entirely NSFW?

Alternatively, I suppose you could introduce a tagging system such as the one on /f/, which is user-submitted to allow people to shift through the threads.

yeah only op posting pictures will hurt a lot of quests. Where will evo threads go? they won't be able to work on /qst/ and they won't be on topic in Veeky Forums let alone people complaining that there still there.

Pretty shitty idea. Too strict rules and it takes away something that is part of Veeky Forums nowadays. If people want their own site for questing they can fuck off to Anonkun

>questfags
>plebians at the bottom
You're over half the board on average and you keep finding new ways to get your garbage past the filter. Cry more.

So this kind of ruins archiving quests for new readers if we can't archive on suptg anymore.

Also quests don't take up enough board traffic to justify this, and they've been on Veeky Forums for almost a decade.

This is unnecessary in the extreme.

>Safe for work
Why not NSFW?
>Bump limit 1000
Great, thank you
>User IDs
>Only OP can post images
No, it's bad. Anons often post images for multiple reasons, like fanart (which QMs love).
>OP can use basic text formatting (bold, italics, a handful of text colors)
Excellent. Spoilers too, right?
>Everyone gets dice
No change, but a variety of new dice and modifiers to rolls would be welcome

>This board is for author-driven collaborative storytelling (i.e. "quests"). All threads posted here should be part of a new or ongoing quest.
>The author controls the story of the quest. They can take suggestions from other posters, or not, at their sole discretion. If things don't go your way don't complain!
Sure
>All threads on this board should be created by the associated quest author. Please refrain from making meta-threads.
Can't we have one meta-thread? As much shit as the general can be, it does have its good sides and helpful discussions. Sometimes.
Why?

>Bump limit 1000
awesome
>Only OP can post images
But this will backfire spectacularly. Plenty of quest OC comes from players / followers. Character visualization, background, stuff like that. Also some player suggestions need to be drawn rather than written. Veeky Forums is, in its core still an imageboard, taking the images away will make things worse.
Sure, there's still workarounds to that - post images on Veeky Forums or /trash/ and link them back to the thread but that is inconvenient.

Oh and for love of moot, spoilers, please give the board spoilers.

>Erotic roleplay is not permitted.
Figures, blue board and all. But where does that go? /soc/ ? Once we heed the voice of our overlord, might as well clarify that.

>it takes away something that is part of Veeky Forums nowadays
That's the entire point.

I've literally never seen 75 quests up at once. Not even during the weekend at the super high point a few years ago.

After one month, ban everyone who posts there.

>You're over half the board on average
At least stop saying ridiculously obvious lies.
There has never been a single point in time when more than half the threads on Veeky Forums were quest threads.

I agree with this.

>Figures, blue board and all
Text has always been considered SFW in the past.
No one gets banned for posting "Suck a cock faggot".

>User IDs
This is retarded. What's this supposed to help the board with?

THANK YOU

This is a good point, actually.
Archiving is going to be a bitch, possibly for a long time. It's already something of a problem with long-running quests. Getting into them after the first few threads requires going offsite to an archive. Now they won't be able to do that and anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor will have to go in blind or not at all.

keeps 1 person from pretending to be multiple.

Samefagging for votes.

That's a horrible idea if you want to let quests grow and keep functioning.
Either ban them outright or stop trying to fuck up their present system of existence.

Reduce the possibility of samefagging the vote?

>Only OP can post images
rip fanart, we hardly knew ye.

The trouble is that for every image like those you describe, there are going to be 1000 meme and reaction images which completely ruin any kind of atmosphere that the quest author is trying to cultivate.

One possible solution would be to permit anyone to use the painter app from /i/ to post diagrams.

Ehh, it would feel like somebody takes sport cars out of Veeky Forums and makes a new board for them. /asp/ went to shit after /wwe/ Generals were kicked off from /sp/, only comfy board became shit.

I am probably too newfag as I am afraid that Veeky Forums would became even slower board with questfags leaving.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel right.

>safe for work
Limits OPs ability to post good art just because it has a nipple in it
>Bump limit 1000
Nice
>User IDs
"no."
>Only OP can post images
Are we reddit now? I thought this was an imageboard
>OP can use basic text formatting
Nice
>Everyone gets dice
this was already a thing but I'm glad you didnt get rid of it for some retarded reason

Samefagging, QMs dropping trips. It makes decent enough sense.

The good:
>User IDs
Nice, but I hope trips are still accepted for the quest author?
Fucking finally.

The average:
>All threads on this board should be created by the associated quest author. Please refrain from making meta-threads.
>All threads must be new or ongoing quests, period.
Threads dedicated to discussing the quest and developments created by the author are accepted I hope?
>We're aiming for adventure, exploration, suspense, mystery, etc
What does that "etc." mean? Is there only a specific kind of quest that will be accepted there? Because I recall one author getting banned because of "That isn't Veeky Forums enough". What will be "not /qst/ enough"?

The bad:
>Only OP can post images
Literally why?

I'm seriously tempted to report this post and hope mod overlord has enough sense of humor to prove you wrong.

But he probably doesn't so whatever.

This really fucks over quests that have been running on Veeky Forums for years, how are we going to keep the suptg archive?

Have you ever been in a quest?

For fuck's sake

>The trouble is that for every image like those you describe, there are going to be 1000 meme and reaction images which completely ruin any kind of atmosphere that the quest author is trying to cultivate.
THIS IS AN APPEAL OF A QUEST. THIS IS LITERALLY IT.

> there are going to be 1000 meme and reaction images
But this doesn't happen on Veeky Forums. Why would it happen on the new board?

Sounds great!
Only edits I would make is allowing everyone to post pictures and maybe using the /a/ rule, spoiler it if NSFW.

/aco/ is the place to be I think.

You don't know what sort of atmosphere quest authors are trying to cultivate. Like, at all.

>Not just banning quests
Proof that mods really are faggots

>Limits OPs ability to post good art just because it has a nipple in it
This is already a limitation, censorship is easy and it's worth it if it means smut quests die forever.

I've never heard or seen anyone to be distracted by reaction images or any other type of images posted in a quest thread, and have never experienced this myself. Please reconsider at least that rule.

Do you... read quests? Like at all?

Why no on nsfw content? Why not just make it a 18+ board and give clear guidelines in which erotic content is acceptable? Also, only allowing OP to post images is a terrible idea.

I agree, IDs should be turned off.

>Ruin Athmosphere
The fuck are you talking about? This is not a game. Or a book. It's a quest thread on Veeky Forums, for fucks sake. If you can't handle people reacting to what you write on fucking Veeky Forums, then go and write a bloody book.

It would also be nice if the OP can prevent other posters from having names or not.

Because the new board is going to have that new board smell and attract people from all around the site.
It's going to be pretty bad for a while. I'm trying to be optimistic, but this broadens the potential "player"base pretty badly.

>rule about not complaining
>no meta-threads
>erp not allowed
fug off

Can just change the IP and clear cookies.

>QMs dropping trips
This is going to HURT. A lot.

I am not a questfag, and I do not like quests on Veeky Forums. I've seen a lot of them over time, and this feedback is coming from someone who wants them to have a good place to go.

>SFW
Why? A lot of quests boil down to Waifu Harem, Veeky Forums has a history of being semi-nsfw, and even the new management hasn't changed much of that.
You don't have to make it an orange board, but you should allow them to describe semi-lewd things so long as it's not 100% ERP. They fucking LOVE their shipping in some quest communities, and if you lock them out of it, they will be upset.

>Bump limit 1k
This is only good.

>User IDs
Good.

>Only OP can post images
Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? This is an imageboard and we make good use of our medium. Users upload images, including reaction images. Make spamming images a bannable offense, or include an increasing /r9k/ style timer for posting images. Post one, the next has a 30 second wait. Post another, it's a 2 minute wait. Another, 5 minutes. This resets every day or so. That way, there's no image spam in big threads, but when users want or need to post relevant images, they can.

>OP gets basic formatting
Great, that is good for them.

>Dice for all
Bueno. Excellente. This is good too.

>"The point of limiting images to the OP is to make sure that people don't get distracted by reaction images, and to allow the OP more control over the setting and tone in the thread."
Reaction images are only a distraction if things are shit, or if a troll is determined. If a troll is determined, you can't stop them short of a ban. They'll use big posts, or image-based text, or whatever.
As for controlling the tone? Frankly, users sometimes NEED a break. I have run live-action horror LARP events that take place over three days. When things get really grim, sometimes everyone will crack up over something funny and take 30 seconds out of character because, as a person, they need a break from the bleakness.
>cont

Oh god why

>Safe for work
Sure.
>Bump limit 1000
OK.
>User IDs
Cool.
>Only OP can post images
Please no. I understand the reasoning, but going to a 3rd party site in order to post fanart or diagrams is inconvenient. Besides, just because people can't post reaction images doesn't mean that they can't post text reactions. I know it doesn't happen OFTEN, but when it does, it's great (pic related). Also QuestDrone pls come back.
Sure, please remember spoilers (surprise text).
>Everyone gets dice
OK.

Can there be an exception made for a rolling "advice sticky" that occasionally has the OP refreshed with new material?

General questions:
- Can there be a discouragement of "post ending in X decides what happens?"
- Will quests be forced off of Veeky Forums after a grace period or will quests continue to be permitted on Veeky Forums? I know you can move threads now, but 3rd party archives (suptg mostly) will need to update or make some other kind of call on what will happen to old quest threads that are effectively required reading for participation.

It's like talking to a kid that has no idea about quests.

Literally newer seen a quest, jesus fucking christ. Fuck off mod with your shitty ideas. Go into suptg and read few more popular quest or storytimes you fucking twat

I assume IDs would be thread-based like /pol/.

Cutting down on accusations of samefaggotry, one assumes.

Not that I support this motion in any way, shape, or form, mind you.

Quest atmosphere is made by collaborative effort of QM and the players. Memes are made by trolls, players have no reason to troll their own quests.

Also this After some 100 threads the number of inside jokes that only regular players can get grows into staggering proportions.

Yeah, this seems like it would create more problems then it could ever hope to solve.

>they've been on Veeky Forums for almost a decade.

A pretty good point desu. While I think quests as they are on Veeky Forums currently are a problem, I don't think they should go away completely and be sent to their own board. Some of the best Veeky Forums threads of all time, have been quests.

Although in my opinion at least, I wouldn't mind seeing written quests go. I guess I've always been partial to drawn quests, maybe because they just don't go on for as long so they don't take up as much board space. How often does a drawn quest get to an "episode 100", compared with how many written quests have?

These all sound terrible and you should quit your internet-job.

Stupid, open question but I haven't followed the quests trend:

What is Veeky Forums for if we remove another popular topic from it?

I'm surprised that threads get pruned (archived, whatever) within a day now.

What topics are left? It seems like the rest of the board is generals and hypotheticals ("If you were an elf..." or whatever).

Can we go back to having specific threads? I don't understand why all D&D discussion has to be confined to the designated D&D General. There isn't a Quest General where all quests go.

>implying they give a shit

All the quests I've participated in have never had a problem with reaction images, and in fact some authors encourage that. Why make assumptions on what the majority of QMs feel takes away from the atmosphere?

But as points out, funposting is going to happen regardless.

Speaking as a QM, I'd like my players to have the ability to post images. That's my only real complaint, everything else seems cool.

That's not really how it works, for the most part. One of the appeals of questing is that you're there with other players taking part. Reaction images don't really harm that at all.

It's rare that a quest's atmosphere is ruined by reaction images, and it's more common that a quest's atmosphere is *reinforced* by reaction images. Like when something goes down and an 'OH SHIT' reaction images pops up, that raises the tension.

On Veeky Forums, no quest I saw had a problem with reaction images, and taking away fanart is a pure negative.

What and ruining Archiving isn't a big deal?

This. This new board will not be populated by only a subset of Veeky Forums's userbase. It will be populated by anyone who is curious enough to show up. The rules are being written to take into account the influx of users who have no knowledge of Veeky Forums's culture.

Maybe when the new board smell has vanished we can revisit image replies for everyone. But I don't think it's a good idea when the board is just getting established.

This is basically Age of Sigmar all over again. Exactly what we asked for, totally not what we wanted. Thank you monkey paw.

>Bump limit 1000
Eh, ok. BUt will you increase the post size? The 2000 character limits is what makes writing a chore.

>User IDs
Please no, I've had to samefag in some quests to keep them alive long enough for it to grow a legit readerbase.

It sounds like you've not actually seen or played through a quest before.

Not trying to be snide, just trying to make a suggestion, if something as big as a new board is being considered.

I don't see how a great drawing like this will be limited by the /i/ paint app.

Don't blame your tools, blame the artist.