Square, hex or gridless?

Square, hex or gridless?

Hexes seem the most practical unless you're all familiar with wargaming and messing about with measuring distances with rulers.

Hexes look nicer, but I don't particularly care either way.

Pentagons.

Gridless if facing isn't terribly important or if movement distances, unit sizes, and angles are highly varied (e.g., modern combat RPGs, tactical-scale tabletop wargames)

Square for classic dungeon crawls since dungeon walls are STRAIGHT LINES, DAGNABBIT.

Hex for strategic wargames and settlers of Catan.

Square for indoors, hex for outdoors.

Hexes are better because they don't have weird topological excesses square grid has.

This could really work. You have movement and ranges expressed as a no. of pentagons, but the actual layout of the pentagons depends on the environment.

This user is correct. Hexes allow a more free and realistic movement but squares are practically necessary indoors due to the hexes not fitting exactly into pretty much any shape.You could probably work around but it would be pretty bothersome.

Someone posted a few months ago that squares fit more to indoor shapes and hexes fit more to outdoor shapes.

Obviously nature is unlikely to be square, but since that post I've become aware of far too many hex-shaped rocks and other environmental features in real life.

gridless + templates

All the benefits of hexes without the detriments.

Squares for spaces small enough that weird math on diagonals won't become a problem.
Hexes for bigger areas and/or when facing matters a bit more.
for REALLY big areas where facing doesn't matter as much.

No, fuck you, pentagons are terrible. Just use bigger hexes.

Girdless, measuring with string that has knots on it space 1" apart

Squares have weird topology. Like if you rotate a shape by one step (45 degree) it will not be the same shape, holes will appear and disappear.

Or if you have a place like this and continuity is important
AB
BA
You have middle spot being simultaneously A and B. If it, say, land and sea, we get peninsula cut with strait.

Hex have their problems, like inability to move straigh in cardinal directions, but it's less apparent.

>gridless + templates
Of course! what better way than to completely arbitrarily restrict movement in the most retarded way possible.

>you cant go there
>but its 1/2" away
>sorry, the template is minimum 2", you overshoot it

Tape measure.

Are you some special kind of stupid?

Think about how a grid works to interpret movement distances.

Templates like basically just create an octagonal grid on an arbitrary surface, without actually bothering to print out the grid.

If you want shorter increments, make smaller templates. FUCK. This isn't some difficult concept.

Calabi-Yau manifolds.

It is a simple consequence of the theorem of Pythagoras that a unit that is allowed to move diagonally on a square grid in fact moves more than 41% farther in spatial distance than a unit that moves horizontally or that moves vertically.

Claims that hexagons do not distort distance are simply incorrect. Hexagons do to some extent distort distances, but the distortion is considerably less. There are several ways to reckon and describe the distortion, but a standard number is that the distortion [...] is about 14%.

It is possible to reduce the movement point distortions still farther, relative to replacing a square with a hexagonal grid. For squares, the solution was introduced by the old MIT SGS game Strategy I.
The solution was to say that a horizontal or vertical move costs two movement points, but a diagonal move costs three movement points.
If we call a single horizontal or vertical move a move through one distance unit, the diagonal move in distance is actually 21/2 units, which is 41+ % greater. By saying that the horizontal vertical moves cost two movement points, but the diagonal move costs three movement points, the diagonal move becomes 50% more expensive than the horizontal move, which is an error of less than 9%.

DELET THIS

Except when going gridless, even when using templates, measurements will always be off by minor increments that add up to create inconsistencies in movement.

It might work well for flying games like xwing, but it's a fucking terrible idea of rpgs or even skirmish wargames where getting into base2base is important for melee. Fuck, even MERCS had something to deal with its stupid template 'card movement' call snap-to to make it tolerable.

>If you want shorter increments, make smaller templates. FUCK. This isn't some difficult concept.
really? so i would need to carry around templates for every 1/2" increment up to say 6"? Fuck that, I would rather just carry a tape measure. template movement is dumb

>Square for classic dungeon crawls since dungeon walls are STRAIGHT LINES, DAGNABBIT.

No Guggenheim BBEG for you, eh?

>tape measure

>all movement happens in a straight line

Tape measure movement is dumb.

>because rather than just rotating a figure on its base and moving a maximum of up to x", it is better to bring 10+ tiny little templates to cover movement and treating characters on foot as having to deal with the same forward momentum with banking and turning as flyers do!

triangular exist too

>Square, hex or gridless?
How the hell do you make gridless? Also if gridless is somehow possible it make all the other choices stupid

gridless implies moving using things like rulers, tape measures and the like

Gridless as in a lack of need of a grid. All actions and combat happens with the DM explaining their positions and telling if, for example, a fireball or burst fire has hit any enemy or player.

GODDAMNIT TILE FUCKER! THIS IS A BLUE BOARD FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

>all movement happens in a straight line
>Tape measure movement is dumb.
Nigga what? Tape measures are flexible, you shitfuck. That's why they are called tape measures and not rulers.

You do gridless with inch or cm measurements.

You faggots will argue over everything

>d/m/y or m/d/y

M/D/Y as god intended it.

GO 'MURICA!

I draw a map for my players, maybe mark positions, but don't use grids or hexes. I think it turns the game into to much of a tactical combat game and not an RPG. I can understand why some people want that though.

Hex for outdoors and map movement. Grid for indoors.

I like gridless for wargaming and I'd do it for RPG's too, but it creates too much of a 'game' feel. Iron Kingdoms does it well though.

y/m/d obviously.

American here. I approve of this.

You don't say?

yyyy/mm/dd/hh:MM:ss, to be precise.

>keeping track of days

im pretty sure thats from some little hentai game that deals with futa and crossdressing

Yes, rondo duo.

ISO 8601 for life

Why are hexagonal rocks a popular tourist attraction? Why is it that some people first fecking thought when they get to NI is "I'm gonna go look at some rocks, shits gonna be cash!"

Hex
Clawgrip
Away from wall
Wet wipes
PC
Cut

Fucking fight me about it.

I am the same other than the bit about your dick.

Well that's more humour than anything. I didn't actually have a choice, being born in a sand country my dad thought it best that I had a more dust proof cock.

LUCKILY my cut was done pretty well.

NONPERIODIC, MUZZAFUQQA.

The technology behind the animation system is neat. It's all layers with different animations to make it look like it's 3d with some AI to create the expressions.

The demonstration was a guy using a touchscreen to annoy a simulated girl.

thats hot

>not just using UNIX timestamps

>Square, hex or gridless?

Being ok with whatever and understanding each works in it's own specific fucking system.

>Over angry? Never angry enough.

Hrm.

I like squares better than hexes. It just feels nicer to me.

To mitigate the diagonal problem, I consider each square to be 4 square meters, with the center of each square 2 meters from the center of any of its orthogonal neighbors.

Geometrically, the distance between the center of one square of a grid and the center of any of its diagonal neighbors is equal to SIDE * sqrt(2). If each square represents 2x2 meters, that means the distance a character travels when they move along a diagonal is 2.82842712475 meters, which I round up to 3.

I double everyone's squares-per-turn speed score (or take their feet per turn and multiply it by 2/5 or whatever) to get the number of meters they can travel in one turn. To move one square, you have to expend 2 meters' worth of movement. To move diagonally, you need to spend an extra meter.

It's pretty easy to count on the fly.

All glory to the Hex.

Squares, because it's just easier and more traditional.

If you take an adjacent square to be 1 unit, diagonals are just under 1.5 units, so we just count it out like that, giving the extra square whenever we feel like it. It's no big deal if there's some inaccuracies.

Hexes for the overmap squares for encounters.

>It's no big deal if there's some inaccuracies.

Gridless, followed by hexes. Diagonal movement in squares is always clunky.

>realistic movement

Except they can't move horizontally at all.

D&D and dirivatives I use squares. It kind of assumes that's the case.

For champions I use hexes. It's a bitch indoors, but super fights rarely stay indoors for long.

The Iron Kingdoms RPG uses the wargame rules with a tape measurer, which I thought would suck but didn't. Thinking of using it for Stars Without Number or Traveller.

Month/Day/Year
Maximum 12/Maximum 31/Maximum 2012

For dystopian wars the template iscthe maximun turn allowed per inch of move. You can always swing he ship less.

I think templates only really make sense for stuff that couldn't make instant turns though, ships, cav, cars, planes, large infantry units etc.

That's only a real problem if one of the players is cheating or someone is just overboard autistic and can't handle those slight variations.

In a game that allows premeasuring you'd simply agree with your opponent your intent is to be just outside charge or shoot range anyway. We should all be reasonable adults.

I see what you did there.

I never realised the US system arranged it by order of maximums. Makes that odd system make more sense.
Having the most variable ine up front always seemed more logical.

It also works with how one says the date when spoken aloud. ie "May first, nineteen seventy-three", etc

Better for drawing dungeon maps, I feel.

Square is simple to understand. Things line up in nice little rows and columns, and you can easily count squares for distances. Anything that isn't straight up/down or straight left/right tends to get awkward measurements, though.

Hexes are a much more natural feel, with things spread out and not in neat little rows everywhere. Movement is a lot "straighter", even at angles, but it can confuse people who aren't used to it.

Gridless is fairly obvious how close stuff is, but it requires a tape measure to work (awkward) and everyone to make accurate movements every time (annoying). It also seems a fair bit harder to do online, and you could easily think that something is in range for several rounds without realizing the truth until you try measuring it.

Unsung Story (video game) has an unusual triangle-grid where characters stand on the vertices, effectively making a hex where they are standing but not disallowing other characters from effectively standing on "half their hex" at the same time. It seems like an interesting variant, although I don't think I've seen a TTRPG suggest such a thing.

What's wrong with that Starmie?

It's the new Steel-type Mega form that Starmie gets in Sun/Moon.

yyyy-mm-dd

we literally have an international standard for this, there isn't a fucking debate

You've got a long way to go, buddy.

Except I have literally never seen that so-called "International standard" used

CAIRO TILING MASTER RACE

This looks like some sort of grid for a mech miniature base. I swear that I've seen some mechs with bases in that same shape as each colored hexagon.

Squares, with moving along the axis costing 2 movement points and moving diagonally 3.

>3, 4, 5 triangle
>movement along 3 side costs 6
>movement along 4 side costs 8
>movement along 5 side costs 11
Eh, close enough.

BEST GRIS TYPE COMING THROUGH

Do you Catan?

I said hex distort the dystance, I mentioned inability to move straight in cardinal directions (depending how hex is oriented you will go straight North and South, but zigzag to East and West or vice versa).

I said that square grid is anisotropic which is much more awkward to deal with that 40% penalty.

I think all grids look fucking hideous.
So no grids, but I will whip out a tape measure for serious tactical situations where the tiniest bit of space could really make or break a plan.

>That pic
That's a pretty cool grid

Gridless most of the time. Hex if I have to use a map.

Because a very large mass of hexagonal rocks that do not exist anywhere else in the country in a very pretty seaside locale.

Also because there's sod all else to do in Northern Ireland unless you like pistol shooting.

This. It's one of those 'international standards' that are only used in certain circumstances.

Just use whatever you like, although I feel DMY works best and is more pleasing to the mind.

More people own Square Grids and it's easier to obtain them than Hexgrids. So if you want your game to be easier to access and have a more widespread appeal, designing for Squares is unfortunately the way to go.

yy/d/mm/y/d/y

>getting autistic about squares
>not realising they're meant to be a fucking abstraction for gameplay purposes
Such sperging. You faggots are one of the reasons 3.5 and its relatives are dogshit

Lizards

>abstraction
>gameplay over immersion

Actually that you have it wrong way around, how we say the date depends on which date system used, in Britain the date would be "first of may, nineteen seventy-three", they pretty much never use the American way of saying dates.

those are just funny looking hexes in the end

I wonder what would the tile fetish guy have to say about this...

You casuals probably use cubes for 3D. Rhombic dodecahedron master race.

>irregular polygons

AUTISM IS OPTIMAL

Nah, irregulars are the best.
It warms my heart when people go mad about it and say "hurr durr, these are irregular/non-Euclidian etc., why do you use these?", for they will never understand the beauty of irregularity.
It's like you don't even Mandelbrot, user.