Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Mimiron's Head Edition

Discuss the viability of the Warcraft universe as a tabletop RPG setting. Have fun, don't go full autist, and keep your cool. Keep your asspain to yourself. This is not /v/ or Veeky Forums.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dGCAXEca53E
youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0x4pmVmqE
wowhead.com/npc=54853/queen-azshara#modelviewer:10 0
starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/JWoww_Perfect_Tan_Bikini_snakeskin.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this is now female worgen edition

Defend anything the Orcs have done since MoP.
There are good Orcs out there, but anyone Greenskin that didn't back out of the shit they pulled in and since Pandaria is a scumbag.

Don't enable the guy getting buttmad over our discussions. We're having fun.

Still more attractive than actual female worgen.

Better option: Let's discuss Azshara's viability as a tabletop RPG villain.

How would you hand her?

Isn't Azshara still one of the most powerful figures in the world right now?

>warcraft quest starts on Veeky Forums
>/qst/ is a board
what do?

She can go with any big evil force, its really easy to get her into the scene.

The problem is 1:She prefer not showing up herself
2: it will generally involve a lot of water, so if you have a guy who is afraid of the sea...

This is true. Despite being the queen of the nagas, Azshara has never made a personal appearance, especially if she can help it. Make no mistake that she's a big-time player. However, she never seems to operate solo; she's always associating herself with someone else's cause.

Yes, she's presumably much more powerful than the majority of demigods but presumably ranks somewhere below N'Zoth. She could probably take on a Demon Lord at this point.
Well, the first point isn't much of an issue, unless you really want a direct confrontation. Also, I think she's actually shown up in Naga form in-game at several points, and I've heard she can actually shapeshift back into elf form in Legion.

>itt: more CoC shenanigans

She actually showed up once, In dark shore in front of Furion, although she is using a sitin model of naga sea witch.
She apparently makes another appearence in Legion.

Once in darkshore, the model is more of a temporary sit in.

>Azshara has never made a personal appearance
1:50
youtube.com/watch?v=dGCAXEca53E

I'm not defending anything.

That is the god damn point. I'm telling you that everything of it is shit. It's shit for orclovers because it puts their lovelies in a bad light. It's shit for orchaters because it's not even a well executed legitimisation to hate orcs, because there's barely any retaliation besides angrily shaking a fist or two.

It's universally disliked. I'm telling you to not take the unsatisfactory MMO at face value when there's no need for that, as we're not in the god damn MMO.

>We're having fun

Peter Parker is that you?

Really, guys. I beg you, stop beating the dead horse. People not only discuss the same topic, they bring the same beaten arguments every single time. Every. Single. Time. And if it dies in the thread, it just resurfaces again a few posts down the road with the exact same arguments, word for fucking word.

It is enough.

This is disappointing, to say the least.

RUSED BY SNEKS

It's hard to tell if that's her true form at all.

She shows up at 12:00 in this video, and she seems to be a shapeshifter. Either that, or it's some sort of projection.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0x4pmVmqE

My personal theory regarding him is that he's part of Ra-den's research into Void creatures, and that Uldum's architecture loosely resembles the Black Empire for the same reason.

Only a matter of time i guess.
These threads have been shit since the third anyway.

>How would you hand her?

Another lame aquatic villain.
If I was a PC I frankly wouldn't bother.

What's the best tabletop system for running a Warcraft campaign?

Its not too hard to solve the water "problem".

Just say she never enjoyed gargling fish piss and raises Nazjatar to the surface when the time is right, or have N'zoth pull it up with Ny'alotha.

Part of me thinks running with Mutants & Masterminds would allow full facilitation of Warcraft tropes and abilities. Warcraft is a relatively high-powered setting, and M&M allows even melee fighters to be extremely capable. I remember reading about one guy who converted his high-level D&D campaign to M&M, and the fighter actually felt like a god of war. You can design whatever different powers and skills you want and pull it off.

Depends on what your goal is within the setting

I would generally say D&D 4e, but if you want less combat focus it really doesn't help

>Discuss the viability of the Warcraft universe as a tabletop RPG setting

More viable when it was warcraft and not WoW.

WoW's storytelling overall has the issue of being so based around a few big names that it is impossible for divisive intrigue to occur. When Garrosh ruled the horde then it was the entire horde in seeming unification until they needed to change the plot.

Basically WoW, due to being a mmo, is terrible at giving you a ground level assessment of how the populace feels.

The fact the players are heros and need to be entertained broadens this divide as it would be a terrible idea to take the time to poll the baker on their political views.

For a tabletop RPG though all those little interactions become very important. Instead of working directly for Garrosh the PCs may be working for some Trolls that are not super happy. Forcing the PCs to avoid the Garrosh loyalist guard patrols (to avoid causing scenes/getting marked as criminals over small stuff) while not really fighting them. Basically in RPG terms not every force is enemy or friend as some can just be antagonistic "friends".

While this may seem like a small complaint, I would allege that it affects the entirety of running a Warcraft universe tabletop RPG. As a GM you'd need to add a great deal of fine detail to the world to flesh it out. Yet the majority of potential players will have experience with the MMO and will likely balk at such additions.

Can anyone explain Sargeras's betrayal in a way that doesn't make him sound like a whiny emo bitch?

take the beginning of The Culling, replace Arthas with Sargeras, Uther with Aggrammar, and Jaina with Eonar

>Titans create the universe
>Sargeras learns of the Void Lords and shits his pants
>Sargeras shits his pants again when he finds out they have a way to enter the universe
>Other Titans tell Sargeras to chill the fuck out
>Sargeras flips out and kills all of them

That is part of the problem, yes. The PC is regularly rubbing shoulders with the Warcraft bigwigs, but they don't have a real perspective of what the peasants think. Granted, this is mostly because peasants are idiots and/or aren't nearly as privy to the amount of information the PCs have. Remember, they still think the Lich King is completely gone, not that Bolvar is the new Lich King.

Peasants just have no clue what's going on.

Sargeras is right though tbqh.

WoW pre-Wrath was a lot more ground-level. It was mostly just you exploring the world with a bunch of random jackasses. You were a cut above the general populace, but that's standard for adventurers.

It wasn't until the later days of Wrath it started focusing more on the PCs being leaders in their faction.

Vanilla, you were travellers.
TBC, you were the vanguard against the Burning Legion in Outland.
Wrath, everyone starts taking you seriously.

As a PC, you were doing work during Vanilla, but it was the Outland campaign that really puts you on the map.

Fuck leadership roles. I just wanna kill shit, not deviate to inspire people, answer to a faction ruler I don't care for, or god forbid politics.

You have to deal with faction leaders because we need to make sure you're killing the RIGHT shit. Kill the wrong shit, and you may end up destroying the world.

>"Good job. You're the mightiest warrior we've ever seen... But you spent all day beating up endlessly summoned grunts when we needed you to carve through to the hidden portals that you were otherwise unaware of. We're abandoning this base or we'll be overrun- come pick up a quest next time."

She actually went back with Legion

Azshara doesn't care whose dick she takes as long as its big and powerful

I wouldn't mind that if you actually got to DO that stuff. Problem is, players aren't going to have any fucking influence on how the world or the plot progresses. You're not Commander Shepard, making choices that you'll be seeing the consequences of way down the line (let's pretend ME3 never happened), you're some schmuck on the Farmville railroad, sitting on a plastic chair, wearing a paper crown and holding your mass-produced Ashbringer replica.

Which is a shame, 'cause I'd dig a Divinity: Dragon Commander-style political system in a Warcraft setting.

It's why she summoned the Burning Legion in the first place all those eons ago: she thought she could take Sargeras's dick and become invincible. A Titan's dick was the only dick good enough for her.

Actually you are on the map if you played PvP and got quite high on therank.

Some NPCs in TBC will refer to you by your title rather than names.

but none of commander sheppard's choice mattered in the end.

So you fight in a shitton of Alliance-Horde skirmishes and somehow make Grand Marshal/High Warlord. That's about it. It means you're good at killing humans/orcs.

Basically. I'd rather be a grunt for good reasons than be a commander for bad ones.

What are you talking about? The Suicide Mission was a great way to end the series.

NPC's dialogue actually change if you outrank him for some TBC NPCs

They were planing on making it global but gave up later since very few people got high rank.

>She actually went back with Legion
Did she? I don't think there's anything about that currently in the Alpha. I heard there was some quest to kill Legion troops that also counted Naga, but that it's not actually available in-game.

it would make sense though. If xavius is an old gods pawn, azshara can be a legion fan

am i the only one having a hard time believe a black elf can be this attractive? a high/blood elf sure. anyway its obvious shes desired because of her enchanting magic. she physically looks just like some random skank im sure

on that note when are we going to see some big titty elf girls?

Who are we talking about?

azshara

That's not accurate, she has her own motives and it's Xavius that apears to have gone crawling bqck to the Legion.

Knaak frequently mentioned she used magic to make herself look hotter than she already was.

Which, based on his constant reminders, is pretty damn hot.

how much of a hack is he?

>Her deep, violet skin was as smooth as the almost sheer silk garment she wore. Her hair, long, thick, lush, and moonlight silver, cascaded down around her shoulders and artfully curved backside.

From his War of the Ancients Book.

It's full of shitty, poetic descriptions of characters. There's this really cringey one where Malfurion thirsts after Tyrande and the guy compares her to Elune.

I'm just glad that most of his oc characters are dead now.

I'm a druid, I don't answer to mortal affiliations. The balance of Azeroth trumps what humans or orcs think matters.

Too bad the story and narrative is more focused on the humans vs orcs now isn't it?

Vereesa is still around though. I don't know if she was an OC was it was obvious he wrote her as a waifu.

please post more

As a Night Elf, she was gauged by Mannoroth to be powerful enough to be compared to Archimonde or Kil'jaeden. Now that she's been empowered by the Old Gods, it's pretty likely that she's on the same tier as they are.

When Malfurion lusts for Tyrande:
>But from a thin pale child who had more than once bested both brothers in races and hunting, Tyrande had become, since joining the Temple, a slim yet well-curved beauty, her smooth skin now a soft, light violet and her dusky blue hair streaked with silver. The mousy face had grown fuller, much more feminine and appealing.

Jesus does this guy love commas.

All three books are filled with this. I'm not gonna root through them all.

english fags really love commons

people need need to explain to them that language isnt a science and trying to write something in a "perfectly correct way" is hopeless and stupid

oops commas

Because of the book's type, those two sentences I copied take up a paragraph's worth of space. That's total bullshit. No sentence should be that long.

To say nothing of his gratuitous use of "to be" verbs. This guy's writing is mechanically broken.

>tfw you write better than a blizzard writer
Feels good man.

I remember reading somewhere that she could of beaten the avatar of sargeras. If that's true she is probably stronger than Deathwing and is presumably stronger than any being currently on the planet.

It is a good feel. Though it's weird how bad a lot of these writers are considering they write so many books. You'd think they honed their craft more in the process.

They get paid to write quickly, not well.

She's probably weaker than N'zoth, though that depends on how much his prison is gimping him.

At the very least, she's bound to be more mobile. N'Zoth might have the edge in terms of pure power and ability to enhance others, but he can't really move around to do much personally.

To this day the physics of Azshara's outfit baffle me. That must be some of her ongoing magical appearance enhancement at work.

>if it looks sexy
>draw it.

women literally have cloths like that in real life you autist virgin. you just use double sided tape

It's a strapless bikini top, corset, and sarong. These are all things that women wear irl.

That bikini top is actually backless as well as strapless. Awful lot of tape to pull that off.

wowhead.com/npc=54853/queen-azshara#modelviewer:10 0

Or Magic.

Its amazing what women can squeeze/force themselves into if they think they will look sexy in it.

So, they're getting rid of quests, but this sort of shit is still staying? Why don't the Mods ever do a complete job FFS.

All you guys do here is have /v/ slapfights about whether or not orcs are niggers and shitty WoW race fetish art.

Most of which is furry.

Have you considered killing yourselves today?

Obviously her tits are magnetic

starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/JWoww_Perfect_Tan_Bikini_snakeskin.jpg

also as others have pointed out shes literally magic. how autistic do you have to be to argue and complain about "physics" in such a situation (and be wrong anyway)?

How strong is an Old God at full power anyway? It doesn't seem like the Titans had much trouble with them.

There was an alpha screenshot showing a planet literally covered in Old God tentacles.

Arguing lore is a healthy exercise, and it helps form the basis for other people's games. Warcraft just happens to be a rahter popular topic.

This. These discussions are fun and interesting and it's not like you're going to get this kind of coherence on any other board. I won't lose any sleep if they go away but for now I'll enjoy it.

Though there's a lot more salt in this thread than normal.

this. Where are the elf slave topics?

Eh it happens, we'll push through it like always.

So what's up with the deeprun tram? When was it built? How the hell did they manage to dig a tunnel halfway across a continent so damn fast?

Why didn't they run into any Old God minions?

well I have noticed that old god minions are around the places where they were imprisoned for the most part. There are not too many old gods between Stormwind and Ironforge.
it was supposed to be from IF to Darnassus. Now that would be cool.

The Deeprun Tram isn't THAT deep. It's just along the ocean floor. As for when it was built, all we know was that it was started after the end of the second war. It was definitely finished before Vanilla.

Gnomes and Dwarves build shut remarkably fast. In Wrath they managed one of those huge airships. Now they have at least half a dozen of them.

As for why they didn't run into Old Gods. The only explanation I can give is Blizz wasn't married to that element of the lore back then.

Titans can kill them easily, but they're the strongest beings in the physical universe. Sargeras cleaved through an infested planet himself, and Y'shaarj (the strongest of the four on Azeroth) was literally ripped out like a weed. Anything short of a titan is vastly inferior to old gods on an individual level, but can overwhelm some of them with sheer numbers.

Y'shaarj was personally kicking the titan-forged army's ass and might have won if the man upstairs hadn't yanked him. N'zoth and C'thun were just beaten down without much issue. Yogg-Saron almost won thanks to his generals, but lost after Loken used illusions to make them turn on him.

So if we replaced Azeroth with Toril and Blizzard with Wizards, would it be okay? 'cause it's basically the exact same idea except when people stray into bitching about the MMO's game mechanics.

Have a stiff upper lip, dumpling. Things will be okay even if there's a thread you don't personally enjoy, my delicate little flower. Right now, there's a HMFY thread with your name on it, [condescending pet name].

At full power? Y'Shaarj's screams could kill people and shatter mountains. But as this guy says, , Old Gods can apparently get fucking huge if they're left unchecked.

When the Titans fought the Old Gods, they were merely the size of mountains. The Titans didn't have much trouble fighting them because the Titans themselves were planet-sized.

While the Old Gods weren't anywhere near as powerful as the Titans, they're still pretty damned powerful.
That sounds about right. I remember there was an old lore thing which claimed C'Thun took out a Titan, but it's not mentioned in Chronicles. I doubt he'd be able to kill an actual Titan, so it's unclear what happened there.

It was in a prophecy about his return written by a qiraji, so kinda biased, and even then it didn't make it clear if the titan died. Maybe it was just there to make C'thun look like less of a chump, or he actually managed to poke one in the eye when it leaned too close and the event was exaggerated, or the author/translator had confused an impressive titan-forged with the real deal.

Probably just a small retcon though. I don't think even blizz had figured out whether or not the greek looking giants were supposed to be actual titans or not back then, and whatever they'd written about old gods could probably fit on a napkin.

user, you're making me all hot and bothered talking pretty like that ;)

Read Thomas Mann then we can talk. That nigger loved fuckhuge sentences.

It would be nice if there was good discussion about it, but most of this thread is like I said /v/ tier discussion because the general has been up every day for like three weeks.

It's just a circle jerk at this point.

Like I said, I'm not bothered by people having lore discussions, I'm bothered by having a general stay up for so long that it slowly turns to shit.

That sounds about right. It'd be nice to get an update on what the current events regarding that are.

each thread has it's ups and downs.

Refresh and look at the sticky.

what am I supposed to see?

Huh, its gone. They made a quest board.