/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Return to Alara edition! (Cards that use mechanics from Alara, but they don't have to be tri-color.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

>gamma counters
Well at least I helped you figure that out, I guess.

>shulk
You don't really save that much space by removing Vigilance so I dunno what you could add to pay for with counters. Shame you don't like my suggestion but it plays right into what I said about not being able to please the peanut gallery in general, so I can't exactly be disappointed.

>Unearth
Good, we agree at least. Blue has no business dealing with creatures in the yard, and green won't be getting a ton of Unearth anyway so it should work out fine.

One benefit of it is I was able to rework this to be uncommon and overall a more appropriate creature.

I will admit that seeing Unearth in Green is a bit strange, but yeah, it makes a ton more sense than Blue. And it's not so bad with Exalted in Black, which is actually a bit of a favorite of mine.

Black getting Exalted makes sense from a flavor standpoint, but I dunno if I'd want to see it outside some certain cards/card types. Like a big ass demon with Exalted makes a lot of sense, since you could have cults worshiping it and whatnot, so the cultists having it would make sense too. Your card also makes sense, so it's a good example to agree over.

Pretty sure Magic can't recognize Unearth like this. For reference, Devour has an extra ruling for referring to devoured creatures. Though you can use this for a template.

Oh, also: Read the name of this card to the tune of "Everybody dance now!"

Unearth is an action keyword and you pay a cost, so I think it works. Haunt, Kicker, etc, can all be referred to in this manner, so why not Unearth? Undying is a trigger, so you don't "activate" it, so since there is no action, it's passive so it needs round about wording to work.

I could also be horribly, horribly wrong.

10/10

I didn't exactly mean the concept of X plus one; I meant the wording X+1; it's just so much clearer for some wording.

They weren't, but that's a flavourful card.

Apostrophes and commas? Oh god

Also! I've been trying out my set with CO user for the last few days. Anyone wants to join us? :3

>can all be referred to in this manner, so why not Unearth?
Because all those have additional rulings to make those things possible.

>702.54. Haunt
>702.54a Haunt is a triggered ability. “Haunt” on a permanent means “When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, exile it haunting target creature.” “Haunt” on an instant or sorcery spell means “When this spell is put into a graveyard during its resolution, exile it haunting target creature.”
>702.54b Cards that are in the exile zone as the result of a haunt ability “haunt” the creature targeted by that ability. The phrase “creature it haunts” refers to the object targeted by the haunt ability, regardless of whether or not that object is still a creature.

>702.32. Kicker
>702.32a Kicker is a static ability that functions while the spell with kicker is on the stack. “Kicker [cost]” means “You may pay an additional [cost] as you cast this spell.” Paying a spell’s kicker cost(s) follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
>[...]
>702.32d If a spell’s controller declares the intention to pay any of that spell’s kicker costs, that spell has been “kicked.” If a spell has two kicker costs or has multikicker, it may be kicked multiple times. See rule 601.2b.

I point this out only so you can learn from this. I do like your wording and will say nothing more if you continue to use it.

This is the Supergirl card I mentioned before. I might change the activation cost of the abilities to both be White, but I do kinda like how the mana plays into the flavor of the abilities (freezing breath and heat vision).

What Kazy means to say is that you should all download Cockatrice so we can dick around together and see how these cards of ours actually work in a game of Magic.

Is it meant to get around Hexproof?

Finally organizing my CO art so it isn't so hard to find art for my cards in the future. Saw the art for this and decided to make the card around it.

So the other day, my friend and I decided to make some custom Planeswalker commanders and build decks. I'm at work stuck inside because of rain and came up with this:
Okay, I think I have Cirdan fleshed out. Tell me what you think.

Cirdan, Silvermage 4WU

+1: Put two 1/1 white bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

-2: Return target nonland permanent to its owners hand. Until the begining of your next turn, That permanents owner can't case spells with the same name as that permanent.

-8: You get an emblem with "You may cast nonland cards from your hand without paying their mana cost."

Loyalty :5

Is this any good? He thought I could push it a little further, but I'm really not sure.

Beyond Deaths Gate: XUU, look at the top X cards of your library, exile half of them face down, and put the rest into your graveyard, you may play cards exiled this way as if they were in your hand.

Kicker XBB: Look at the top x cards of each opponents library library, for each set of cards, exile half of them face down, you may play cards exiled this way as if they were in your hand.

Well, 8 loyalty is a lot, and it's 6 cmc. Maybe put the starting loyalty at 4?

I wanted the emblem to drop on the same turn as an on curve Omniscience. If I dropped the starting loyalty from 5 to 4, I'd shift the cmc from 6 to 5 to compensate, and it might be too pushed for a 5 cmc Walker.

Wouldnt you get it one turn before an on curve omniscience (Assuming no ramp, which there very well might be). Omniscience is 7uuu, an you can activate the -8 on turn 9, killing the walker.

.... Shit, you're right. I miscounted. So should I go ahead and change the loyalty, or could I keep it as is? If I kept it as is, the idea would be a better payoff ( one turn earlier) with the risk of needing to stay on the field for 3 turns and not get removed in some way.

I think its fine to keep it as is, its not like youre often going to get three turns of the planeswalker out without getting hit. Itd probably fit really well into a UW control shell. Since it generates weak fliers that can slowly beat down as you just prevent them from doing anything.

I don't like that this can target players other than the one its attacking.

That's the idea. His Walker is kind of like a mono black Gideon (which I could post. We probably need more feedback on it anyway) Plus he can't deck build to save his life. Thanks for the help.

I'm working on a small set based around a cycle of EDH commanders. Right now I'm working on the commanders themselves, I only have one done:

Idform, Subliminal Horror (1URG)
Hexproof, trample
Whenever a player casts a spell, Idform gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
During each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, Idform does 2 damage to each opponent.

I have names and costs for the other commanders at the moment:

The Second Queen (1GUB)
(Thematically, she's an immortal who absorbs others for eternal youth, and has ruled for centuries. Should be nigh-impossible to kill, but also not all that useful alone/without time/etc.)

Nimia, the Blazing Soul (1RWU)
(Monk. Possibly a mix of controller-sided group hug (I do a thing, everyone does a small bit of it), as well as some sort of combat abilities?)

Rajan, Seven-Tailed Nomad (1BGW)
(SIEGE RHIN- just kidding. Most likely to have some sort of group hug/politics effect; although I really don't know what to do with him yet.)

Walthe, Lone Crusader (1WBR)
(Angry Orzhov effects. Lifegain lightning bolts and tax and stuff. A priest that smashes the shit out of things with holy symbols. Maybe exile and restrictive effects, too?)

Well, we can assume that user's ability would include needed ruling.

Except for player hexproof, yeah.

This card is really one of the best you've done. Oozing flavour.

Abilities don't synergize at all/10
Feels like three cards stacked on top of themselves.

It's mainly so you can take your permanents.

Anything with Hex+Evergreen+effect is hideously broken, or boring. Idform is boring.

Imma do Walthe, because why not.

>This card is really one of the best you've done. Oozing flavour.
Wow, really? Damn, I put the thing together in like, five minutes.
>Wow, this is some really cool art! Hey, what if I made a card based on this? Well, it would grant Equipment to your creatures. Oh wait, I could make it work for Auras too! Now, how would I word this?
Really, the wording took more time than anything else.

>Abilities don't synergize at all/10
Well, sometimes, yeah. I like to have my PWs with abilities that work with each other, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Talking about wording... ;_;

Well yeah, but when the three effects are pretty much arbitrary, dunno. Doesn't feel well.

Btw, I think one should design like a Vorthos and play like a Spike. :p

I'm the one who posted Cirdan. If you.must know, I based it off my favorite D&D character I ever played. A half-elf diplomancer, who, when in combat, would summon various animals to protect himself and allies, use counterspells and control Magic until he set himself and his friends up for a big flashy finish. I know it looks like like random crap smashed together, but it fits the character and the archetype I'm going for. Kinda can't do counterspells on a walker, now can I?

It feels wrong to have that much fire in an image and not have the card be red
Especially since it has haste and could EASILY be a RB card if you just swapped the token color to black

Well sometimes you can't make the card do what the character does. Sometimes you need to think about the situation it's in, it's history, and what role it played in the major scale in the campaing, then adapt all that, or some of it into a card. Don't just make the card 'do what the character did', it just ends up with a card that doesn't feel good as a card.

Also, would your character be a planeswalker? Or would it be a creature? Or a sparker? Or maybe its legacy was much greater than it was, so you might want to make an artifact, or an enchantment about it.

Ugh. I already had a bit of a discussion about this with another user about the colors, where he convinced me that due to the tokens, the card would likely have to include Green. And Gruul seems really off.

But I'll think about it.

Yeah, the ability and source thing really fucks it up. I also want to point out how easy this is to break by targeting lands.

I'm surprised it doesn't have Phasing.

>Name has Phasing
>No phasing
poor tastes. Feels pretty annoying to have to reequip the boots to it if i use the ability. Also feels super slow and unplayable.

Oh and for the sake of context, here is what enthrall as a keyword is.

Fucking fuck, ignore this one. THe keyword wasn't updated for proper text.

The tokens could easily be monoblack in color, and there's no rule that says black can't shit out a ton of tokens. Hell, one of the most iconic "Shit out a bunch of tokens cards IS black, though that's army of the damned so it may be a bit different

Not many things that target any kind of permanents. How'd you word it though?

Phasing, not even once.
It's meant for EDH. It's a set of boots that saves you from a board wipe. They're annoyingly broken in some decks. If you didn't have to reequip them, it'd be pay [2] each turn and win the game.

And at the very least, it's a much better whispersilk cloak for +1 to the equip cost.
What's Enthrall?

I think these reads a bit better:
>Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield, if it shares a type with the permanent enthralled with ~, [effect].
>Whenever a permanent of the same type as the permanent enthralled with ~ enters the battlefield, [effect].

This is much better, won't erase what I wrote though :P Still think that permanent enthralled with ~ has a much better ring to it.

>Not many things that target any kind of permanents. How'd you word it though?
187 cards have "Target permanent", 67 of which have an activated ability and thus potentially repeatable (I'm not going to check them all individually). Just get rid of the ability bit and only let it trigger from spells.

>complex name
It's Russian, blame them. I'll look for a better option.

I understand, of course. I think, as long as nobody has a problem with it, I'll stick with doing what I'm doing. I don't plan on having a ton of cards interacting with Unearth in that way, so hopefully it proves not to be too much of an issue in the long run.

Also sorry it took so long to reply; I was out for quite a while.

Which art looks better?

I dunno about that effect. Champion of Lambholt has a similar effect, but she's a creature and dies a lot easier than an enchantment. Maybe put this effect onto a creature card, well, unless you are planning on running this in a set with lots of enchantment removal.

Uncommon or Rare?

remove first strike and keep it rare, maybe change 'missile counters' into 'arrow counters'?

make it a nice tribute to Icatian javelineers

sorry, meant to say make it uncommon

It feels like it should be First Strike/Reach rather than First Strike/Lifelink.

Right one looks better in my opinion. I agree that you have to be careful with the fact that it's an enchantment, and hard to remove, but I think the cost, the more difficult to achieve counters, and the fact that you have to have mana open to activate it means it's okay.

This is a RW card, as it is currently. Mono white archers deal damage to attacking or blocking, or tapped, creatures. Never to players as a ping like this. Also rarity depends on the set, since in a draft, you make cards you want to see less often higher rarity. It has basically no meaning outside that aside from secondary market concerns of price. I'd likely make it uncommon, and in RW, costing 1RW would be fine I think.

>reach
it always bothered me that white got tertiary reach at all, at any time. it's right up there with blue in flying; the colors that get next to no flying (red and green) are the ones that should have reach. White gets to ping attackers and blockers, that's more than enough.

Just a personal gripe.

The missile counters are used on 2 other cards in my set, im thinking of making some synergies with it?

See Icatian javelineers the insperation for this card.

Icatian Javelineers is out of color nowadays; it's a Fallen Empires card that was reprinted in a duel deck, likely as a thowback, but hasn't seen a modern functional reprint because monowhite ping doesn't hit players. See every modern set monowhite pinger for my rebuttal. And please don't bring up Witch Hunter; that's a Time Spiral throwback "special" card, and Time Spiral had a ton of color bending to boot, some of which made it into the modern color pie, but much of it did not. If you can't find an example of a similar card in the last... 10 or so draftable sets, it's probably out of pie.

>all this filter
Probably could put the cork on it after the first Delirium draw discard. That's a lot of filter for two mana.

Yeah. My gripe is mostly 'Archers/Spiders without reach'

Well for white, pinging attackers/blockers is their access to that kind of thing, and it has more safety than reach does because the pinger never is at risk. Which is why the ping is usually for 1. Spiders are usually green so they should have reach basically every time. A spider without reach is just odd as hell.

Is this reminder text too long for a mechanic?

No reminder text is too long, except maybe banding. card seems fine to me,

>put an artifact Equipment token named Sidearm...
>attached to this creature
The second one is... only possibly necessary. I'm too tired to be sure. But I'm pretty sure about the name bit.

seems okay to me.

Unsure of how to cost this. The original idea was to search for X creature cards (though the cost was XX then), but I think this version is better.

Pretty overcosted when compared to stuff like chord of calling, tooth and nail and protean hulk.

I think X creature cards at its current cost would be reasonably balanced, considering it's a five color card.

>why yes, I would like all 5 eldrazi titans for only 10 mana

Uh... maybe X creature cards with cmc X or less?

Anyone know how to generate a large image of all your cards through MSE? In a quick and efficient manner?

There's an option to export all the cards in a set. The same option also allows you to export images of multiple cards of your choosing.

>the eldrazi titans are 5 mana

The person he was replying to was suggesting it just getting any creatures, regardless of cmc.

That creates separate images though. I'm looking to combine them all into one image so I can upload them all in one image.

Look at the links on the OP.

I feel like this is the kind of spell that would exile itself.

i'm the person that he was replying to, i just worded it shittily.

Different names assemble!

I have a suspicion that this needs a higher mana cost.

Suspend is pushing it length-wise.

Setting this card made me realize you'll be doing Carol Danvers at some point. I apologize ahead of time for the potential autism you may trigger from me.

I'm baaaack! This time with some mythic rare legendaries for each color, and probably the only three color card in the set. I've started to flesh out sort of an idea of what's happening in the set, including factions and some plot points. Thoughts?

Oh, and excuse the non-anusmana. Haven't updated yet as MSE is being tricky.

Also forgot this trainwreck of a card, and just noticed all the typos on Drest. Whatever.

Big fan? Speaking of, do you think I should do her card as Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel? I kinda lean towards Ms. myself, though making her Captain makes room for the new Ms. Marvel. Hmm, but what about the old Captain Marvel? Genis-Vell? No, Mar-Vell. Jesus, the name Captain Marvel really is just a joke at this point.

Let me guess, you're designing cards to remove counters from this and get around the cost, right? I admit I do like adding counters more because they're a lot harder to break.

I may have been considering it.

Hmm, though, at the same time, removing counters can be used for an effect that you want to limit. Like with Etched Monstrosity.

Does anyone have any of those images with bootleggers' contact info and card lists?

Because I'm feeling generous today, here's some more. Yes, Loxo Bouncer feels like an Un-card. Yes, Some of these are very bad.

Ms. is my personal favorite but if you plan on doing Kamala you might have to go with Captain. Ms. just had a better look and background (a female lush that can give Tony a run for his money? Fuck year). I have a neat idea for what i want to see her do, but I'm curious what you'll do. Maybe I'll mock a version of her up; gives me a break from the madness.

Simple and powerful. I like it.

The "has haste" part feels a little too clever, but it works fine. I like the card overall.

>Ms. just had a better look
I always liked the sash. The black unitard with the lightning bolt is a bit bland though, I preferred the red and black outfit with the star.
>and background (a female lush that can give Tony a run for his money? Fuck year).
Really? Wow, that sounds a ton more interesting than what I'd always assumed, that she's just a ripoff of a Superman ripoff.

I'd like to see your design, especially with how little I know about... well, pretty much all the Captain Marvels, other than Monica Rambeau. Really, the most I know about Carol Danvers is from the time Moonstone took her place during Dark Avengers. From what I understand, she's a typical flying brick but with "energy absorption" powers. So, high P/T and Flying, obviously. And then I suppose Prowess or possibly something that adds counters when you cast instant or sorcery spells, then you can remove the counters to do stuff like pinging.

These ones are just bad and poorly balanced. How do I fix this cycle of cards?

all will be one

The "Moonstone" outfit was great, and your pic is a good take on it. The sash and lightning bolt really were her "thing" to me though; I think how simplistic her costume was was really what made it nice. Overly complex stuff like she has now with the ribbed everything and the helmet... eh. Not a fan.

>flying brick, counters, ping
Pretty much, yep. Costing is fucked but it's whatever. I just threw it together. Went for your favorite costume cause I had a good pic of it. Oddly it doesn't have the sash for some reason. Eh, details.

>Completed*
>a card
Also, broken.

Also yeah, Carol was an uber drunk for a long time. Part of all the trauma she had to deal with, the Civil War stuff, etc. She actually did a LOT of bad shit while she was drunk which made her a great character; hell she would show up to Avenger Assemblies shitfaced and cause a ton of collateral damage, and then get yelled at. She got kicked from the Avengers over it, if I recall. Her "reboot" is complete weaksauce, just turns her into a generic "evil puncher" who is actually kind of thick and not terribly bright. I dunno why "feminists" think that version is better; it has no depth and is just pande- well never mind I figured it out.

lol no that's fucking dumb.
as if div top didn't make miracles and counter balance stupid enough. Alternately you can get literally 15 perfect draws in a row.

This is a cycle because.. shards? Hm. I think the first bit of feedback is that the Grixis one is too complex. I don't have an issue with commons that stretch NWO a little (pic related) but keep them very, VERY simple. "Guild mage" creatures are usually uncommon because of this. The Naya one is also complex because of the white ability. Just make it tap target creature. Hell, I'll just go down the line:

>Grixis
Really feels like a base blue creature to start. Black fliers are usually tribe specific, or small, and this is a blue tribe and a generic medium flier, which is so blue Mark Rosewater wants to date it. The bounce ability is fine due to the base body cost, but the red ability is ponderous and makes no sense in red. Why does red grant defender? Red prevents blocking. White might do this kind of thing, but it's too verbose. Needs to be something new.

>Esper
Basically fine, but the black ability is kinda good in the right deck.

>Bant
Borderline. I think the creature should be a bigger body and more expensive, so the abilities can stay that cost. That should help. A 2/2 for 2W would work here maybe. Don't quote me on that.

>Naya
Again, white is too verbose. Just make it tap a creature. Red is fine, and aside from that, the creature is fine.

>Jund
I know some cards still do -0/-N, but it's not very meaningful anymore. Make it deal 1 damage to target creature and you gain 1 life maybe? Would have to cost more though. Green is possibly fine but could play havoc in Draft.

Eh, too cheap to repeatably fetch cards from your sideboard I think.

>compleated
This is a Phyrexian thing. It's stupid but it's a thing.

>forgot my pic
HA.

Yes, her Captain Marvel outfit is overly complex, and yet at the same time, bland and generic. There was fanart that was drawn under the idea that the artist's version of Captain Marvel was just a human who happened to be part of a Kree military force, and they all wore the same outfit, and I actually really like the idea, at least as justification for the outfit.

Also, the helmet looks dumb, and I don't even know why they made one because she rarely seems to use it. And it makes her hair look weird. It always reminds me of a rooster's crest.

I think what you say about the bolt is a good point, I just wish there were more to her last Ms. Marvel costume. At least throw some red in there (other than the sash).

You actually make her sound like she's worth reading. I'll have to see if I can torrent her series. I guess it would be the 2006 series, right?

>Her "reboot" is complete weaksauce, just turns her into a generic "evil puncher" [...] I dunno why "feminists" think that version is better
Because to them, the best character is the character that never fails. Which of course means a character that will never grow, change, or even face hardship. But then they defend the character to the death, outright denying the obvious fact that the character is poorly written because of these things. Just look at Rey from The Force Awakens. One of the biggest Mary Sues from mainstream media I've ever seen, but all of these feminists will go out of there way to "prove" that these assertions are wrong and everyone saying them is stupid. It's just absurd. They create problems then deny that these problems exist. Ridiculous.

>Card
Not bad for a first try, though it does need to be balanced. Does absorbing energy actually make her stronger? If not, I'd use another type of counter.

woah woah woah that card is an uncommon because of the second ability. Also good job making a card that looks like it could almost be printed

>worth reading
You have to cherry pick. The run with the Cho covers is pretty decent; I don't even recall the year. You can thank /co/ for turning me into a casualhardcore fan; I know jack shit about chronology and have a scattered impression of the character but I know her current run is mildly entertaining if not bland and "safe" and the run where she was a test pilot for Stark that ended up crashing and getting tortured, then going from there had some good bits. Ignore the god-awful plotline about her own son time traveling and raping her though; that's fucking terrible. Not because of rape; that could conceivably be handled well. It's the combination of everything that's just too over the top, even for cape comics. Just focus on her drunken self causing trouble and paling it up with Spider Woman. Her interactions with Peter Parker are cute too. I think they would have honestly made a good couple.

>first try
Well, first try at a super hero. I just didn't even bother to cost it, and I don't care that it's wrong. Proof of concept ain't gotta be perfect. The abilities were the money here. And yeah, she can absorb retarded amounts of energy, then either use it to get stronger, shoot beams, or "go Binary" which is like going Super Saiyan or however you spell it. She burns through her power but she kicks serious ass while doing so. Like, she could absorb the Death Star laser with a smile. Her powers are pretty awesome.

>Rey
Rey is as much a Mary Sue as Luke was a Gary Stu, with the one exception that he started naive and ignorant and over the course of a week was able to be an ace pilot and destroy the Death Star. I mean he was good in his T-16, but that's all we know, and he sure as hell didn't have 6th sense for half the movie. Rey started way more competent, so it feels at once more and less ridiculous because she shouldn't be that awesome, but at least not much changes. Eh, it's whatever to me. Good cinematography is basically dead.

>there is a 1/1 green Elf with static Hexproof for G
>a 1/1 for G can't have an activated ability to give itself hexproof for G
Wha? I guess coupled with the first ability it comes off as too much to you? Thanks for the compliment though.

Here is /co/'c recommended Ms. Marvel reading list. I have not read all of this yet myself. Hope it helps, and I hope the thread forgives me for spending an image slot on it.

still not happy with the artwork...