/swg/- TIE Fighter Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread:
Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU&list=LL_Z-NkTSW06XUe8PFZWlxgg&index=38
youtube.com/watch?v=YGBw4uCZ4hA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's a Star Wars anime?

It's a fan film: youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

That's the animu that the original trilogy was based off of.

Around these parts, people just call it Mobile Suit Gundam.

>dat bomber pilot
Is this what having a waifu feels like?

She's taken.

Ah, OtaKing's work.

A guy who browses /m/ and gave them some previews of that animation project, actually.
Including some feedback stuff.

Yeup.

>waifuing fightersluts
>not superior Captainfus

Need advice on RPG by FFG, /swg/

I'm homebrewing the setting, but we're mostly using everything stock from the game's items and class system. There's some rather unique ideas that I have that I am unsure exactly how to translate into starwars universe. Anyone available to chat with the system and maybe help me work a few things out?

Also I am not sure exactly how much of an NPC profile is required to create in order to play, or how you're suppose to balance it really.

Example of something I'm trying to translate:

Gravity manipulating weapons, producing excessive Gforce to bolster and impede close combat and even a defense against solid projectiles.

I'm guessing just make a force sensitive person for that?

The standard grunt trooper in my setting has this power readily at their disposal

>no quips

How is this even star wars?

Nope. There is a manga though.

There were quips, you just couldn't hear them.

Imps are humorless bastards. If you want lines like "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" you join the Rebellion.

>Imps are humorless bastards.
Does German humor count? It seems like they'd be very, very German.

In the lower ranks, it's likely a thing. But at the upper echelons? Unlikely.

Are the scars on every imp face a result of the mandatory humor lobotomy surgery?

>not loneliestwaifufag.jpg

I think the Squibs have a tractor beam gun they use like that. Dunno if it was statted anywhere, but it does exist in canon.

I believe they came from trying to handle a TIE Bomber like an Interceptor and learning a valuable lesson. [Spoilers]Git Gud[/Spoilers]

aw fuck yes, that's a good lead

I'll try and track that down, thanks.

Any general NPC constructing guides out there? This is my second time ever GMing, worried I'll kill off the party. Again.

I still have PTSD from my first group.

Make sure they have an escape route, don't pin them to the wall.

From previous thread on Republic credits:
Given the eta-2 stats and capabilities it was probably expensive... For the era.

It's entirely possible to spend cash on a shit project.

If I recall the F-111 starfighter cost something like $100 million a pop adjusted for today and it was regarded as a piece of shit.

>I paid full price for ARMA 3 and it's a buggy un optimized piece of shit.

It's plausible that it had special snowflake parts that made it expensive as shit, but "modern" OT production at the Tie fighter scale would see them costing less, probably around an interceptor r 100k

Is this Imperial propaganda? All the musical cues imply the TIE pilots are heroes fighting the dastardly rebels.

>Is this Imperial propaganda?
The TIE Bomber does something useful in a dogfight. It's definitely Imp propaganda.

The TIE Bomber does rolls and weaving. Think of any time you've seen/played a TIE Bomber, was it capable of that?

>spaceships can't possibly roll! nor can they turn!

I'm guessing they can turn just as well as a Y-Wing. What's going to stop them, drag?

Poor power allocation and restricted thrust angles.

>What's going to stop them, drag?
If you start asking these questions all Star Wars dogfighting fall apart.

To be fair, the XWM card does include a barrel roll action.

>Not posting the shorter, better version set to actual Star Wars music instead of some metal crap

youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU&list=LL_Z-NkTSW06XUe8PFZWlxgg&index=38

If you've played TIE fighter it certainly can.

Also in most vidya, TIE Fighter included, rebel fighters take way WAY more punishment with their shields than they do in the movies, so its not like those games are biased.

Wacko OP ships like TIE Advanced, TIE Defenders, etc. notwithstanding

In the space flight sim games I played spinning around really isn't an option unfortunately.

They can barrel roll in X-wing.

user, it's done in the 80's anime style, which means heavy metal.

Funny, I associate the 80s with freaking STAR WARS.

Seriously, it's like when you're searching for a really good theme out of a soundtrack and all you can find are a million and one tribute videos where they show the scene in question overlaid with whatever shitty pop music12 year olds are listening to that year.

>it certainly can
I've tried playing the TIE bomber missions. I tried my damnedest. But goddamn, I just can't handle her properly. The only worse flight experience I can think of is Wing Commander 3's Longbow.

user, it's the 80's ANIME style which is different from just the 80's.

I think Suns of Fortune has some fucked up physics gun in there, I don't remember.

Aside from the Squib Tensor rifle, which hasn't appeared in FFG yet- there is the Repulsor Gun in Special Modifications that has Knockdown.
I guess if you're after 'Item Qualities' of certain weapons, that's the place to look for what things can do in-game as existing characteristics. You could even have something like 'Tractor' as a quality which you could use to pick stuff/people up and hurl them around

have you ever played SWTOR? imps have plenty of humour. They're basically British Nazis

Right, it should be synth driven power pop.

youtube.com/watch?v=YGBw4uCZ4hA

Unless you count the barons.
They get to actually have fun, and get a LOT of freedom.

I have a small X-Wing collection but only really play with my brother. I really like the A-Wings so far, because gotta go fast. Any decent builds involving only A-Wings?

I've got Base set, Rebel Aces, and an Xwing and Awing expansion. Any suggestions for improving my VGS?

Tycho with PTL and Rage is good. You can build a swarm with the rest and add proton rockets to them

I don't know if I prefer this version, but it certainly feels more like star wars

but they're space brits
they've always been space brits

but they're space brits
they've always been space brits
my man

>they've always been space brits
Accent-wise, sure, but culturally and aesthetically, they draw influences from Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

>Stormtroopers
>Officer uniforms
>Vader's stahlhelm/kabuto combo
>All those goddamn wunderwaffen
>Palpatine's rise paralleling Hitler's

I don't know how I feel about picking up a separate faction ship. Granted, Tycho with PTL and Rage sounds absurdly good.

you can always proxy with friends

that's fair

Good point. I don't mind variety though .Does the punishing one come with anything else that's decent?

you get guidance chips which are nice and plasma torps if you face large ships

good call on the escape route, I actually did kill PCs by trapping them in a room with 'training bots'

I had no idea they were precalibrated for RAPE, honest!

I have no idea what you're talking about after that.
Fucked up physics happens to be my setting's bread and butter.

That's a nice place to start, and yeah I definitely want the polarity to go both ways -- pulling and pushing, but how it interacts with everything else I guess would be a sort of tractor effect, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the help, man

Damn. This sort of seems like a decent build. Is A-Wings only a viable build or am I mostly looking at a for fun build

Without the refit thing from Rebel Aces, it's mostly just for fun. Z-95s do both of its roles (Cheap filler ship or cheap missileboat) better and cheaper, which makes it kinda meh in competitive play, but the discount from the refit means that A-wing unique pilots can actually have a place for their abilities.

Palpatine's rise is definitely Ceasar not Hitler. Secret treachery aside Palpatine legally won a popular vote rather than semi-strong arming his way in

The old republic in general had a lot of the dying days of the roman republic to it

The Jedi were all pretty samurai in their influence(the standard Jedi robes were modeled after kimonos) and Vader, being a fallen Jedi, showed that in his armor.

So what kind of g-forces do star wars ships put out? How do the pilots and crew withstand them?

Stupid sexy stormtrooper...

>How do the pilots and crew withstand them?
Inertial compensators.

how do inertial compensators work?

Magic
Pure motherfucking magic

Presumably similar to repulsorlift tech

The power of bullshit. And somehow Trek thinks its science is "harder"

By compensating for inertia.

According to the Wook, canon compensators manipulate gravity somehow. It's one of the few parts of nucanon that offers a more useful explanation than Legends.

To be fair to trek, the cornerstone of many sci fi franchises is the FTL. Trek's FTL at least has some recent "hey this could maybe possibly work if you squint real hard at some numbers and a miracle happens to some other numbers" science papers about it, while Star Wars doesn't.

But isn't inertia an inherent property of mass? I'm not sure how fucking with gravity would help

Star Wars just doesn't pretend to explain anything. Hyperspace isn't exactly a foreign concept to old school sci fi that shit was a constant in Asimov. Not trying to start a Trek vs Star Wars thing which would only end in misery, as I like them both but trek is crazy fantastic tech and soft as fuck for how hard people pretend it is. Star Wars just says "hey look lasers!"

Pulling the pilot in the opposite direction of the forces he would normally experience? Fucked if I know. I have no clue how physics works and neither do most sci-fi writers.

Warp is the only place where Star Trek is "harder" than Star Wars.

Ah well. Saxton put paid to that particular dick-measuring contest years back and though I dislike him intensely, I'm glad he did

Star Wars is fantasy set in space. The force is magic, we have the mentor, ancient mystic teacher, the rogue, the princess, the literal farm boy, and swords. Trying to explain things technically is futile.

Which is saying something when Star Trek is even softer.

>That's a nice place to start, and yeah I definitely want the polarity to go both ways -- pulling and pushing, but how it interacts with everything else I guess would be a sort of tractor effect, wouldn't it?

I'd say its a tractor effect
You'd have it be able to move stuff around, throw things at other things and when you get really annoyed it goes on full British nanny mode and rips shit apart

Green Squadron Pilot x5 w/
-Crack Shot
-Adaptability
-Chardaan Refit
-A-Wing Test Pilot
-Autothrusters

A REAL waifu

And a real hero

A real human being

And a real waifu

A real human being

>symmetrical shins
no thank you

Bretty grud but any ace list will do what you do but better. Two attack dice even with crack shot won't be killing fatties and, finally, a real swarm will drown you in fire power.

What is the rough difference in value between Imperial Credits and Republic Credits?
Would owning a JedCred be an illegal or black-bagged-worthy offense?

>What is the rough difference in value between Imperial Credits and Republic Credits?
25-1
>Would owning a JedCred be an illegal or black-bagged-worthy offense?
Most surely so

>25:1
Pretty sure that rate was Rebel credits to Imperial credits.

I didn't know the Jedi had credits of their own

>Pretty sure that rate was Rebel credits to Imperial credits.
I was under the impression from somewhere that the rebels were using old republic credits as their "rebel creds"

>I didn't know the Jedi had credits of their own
They're not currency, they're more like those commemorative coins that the mint sells or a challenge coin, in this case whenever a corillian Jedi becomes a master, he gets a bunch made and gives them out to friends and family

Lol check regionals and see them in top tables.

I guess you think TIE Crack swarm sucks too.

People who don't see the parallels to Rome are frankly dumb.

A Republic transformed into an Empire, with a 'senate' that's only kept around as a token gesture and then dissolved by a tyrant? The historical analogy is obvious.

We know they exist and are dispersed- in the opening of RotS, Obiwan is CLEARLY uncomfortable with basic maneuvers, likely do to the pukey feeling you get driving your car abruptly down a hill. That's inertia, cuz your body sense is shifting abruptly with position.

It's known that Star Wars uses some type of magical "inertial dampen" tech, though I haven't the faintest idea how it works.

Good design and flight suits can help too, if only to keep your blood up in your brain.

I would imagine that an xwing or tie fighter could out-turn damn near anything on the planet, if only due to stronger manufacturing materials, but we don't get great views of that stuff.

I should have said that the pukey feeling is your bodies reaction, not inertia itself.

So I'm thinking of basing the start of my EotE Campaign off the movie that Star Wars killed, William Friedkin's Sorcerer. The characters will start out on the run and end up hiding in a backwater mining town on a planet rich with Hypermatter. They're flat broke and have no way out of the town. Rebels bomb the Hypermatter mine triggering a flare that can only be blown out with plot relevent, and highly unstable explosives. The mining guild offers a highly lucrative payout to whomever is willing to deliver the explosives to the mine, through hundreds of kilometers of inhospitable jungle. The hypermatter on planet renders repulsor lifts non-functional and so they'll be driving beaten up clone wars era juggernauts.

Now one of the iconic scenes of the movie, and what I wish to be the centrepiece of the session are the attempts of the two trucks to cross a flooded river over a rickety rope bridge. One character would guide the truck over the bridge while the other drives the truck. What would be the best way to do this? Outside of the fantasy flight system I was thinking of having a printout of the bridge, and only give a copy to the printout to the director. He would issue commands to the driver and I would note the position of the Juggernaut on the bridge behind a DM screen with my own map. If they deviate from the correct path over the bridge, a check would be required to get back on the track. I would give the driver and the director diferent information about the bridge as well. Probably each time the director moves, it would require an agility check to avoid slipping.

If anyone else has some input it would be appreciated.