Animal Game

I'm gonna be doing a 5e game where all the PCs are animals. Think Disney's Robin Hood or mouse-guard. Any thoughts? Have you run or played in a game like this? Pictures of animals are cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/522/Beyond-Belief-Games
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I was gonna give each race advantage on one skill : Monkeys - Climbing, Panthers - Sneak, Lions - Intimidate., ext.

Have you tried After The Bomb? It's a great anthro animal game.

I kind of did something like that with my 5e game, though I simply reflavored all the races. Elves became cats, dwarves became dogs, halflings became rabbits... It's been really great so far.

Just posting some inspirational material.

Why not just play actual Mouse Guard?

Came here to post this.
Just go play Mouse Guard already.

Why not just use Genlab Alpha since that's a better system and specifically has rules for uplifted animals so you'd get your anthro PCs proper ruleset?

If only it was like redwall, then it would be cool. But of course ita going to be a bunch of faggots erping.

Fuck Disney.

Because each system has a very different feel and tone from the other, and maybe they want the D&D feel, just with animals.

Take a look at Woodland Warriors It's OSR so should be easy to convert.
drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/522/Beyond-Belief-Games

The feel of eating shit, just with animals?

I've been running a Pathfinder game populated exclusively anthro animals for a few years and it's been great fun! They party does however include two PC humans who due to plot shinanigins ended up in the all animal world. The two main races are a kingdom of cats and dogs who due to years of war managed to reduce the other races down to the point where the bunnies are nomads and that sort of thing. The reversed fish out of water thing for the human PCs has been entertaining. As for special traits initially I just told my cat and wolf PC to pick a race (like elf) and copy those stats, but eventually I got off my butt and actually created custom races for each animal using Pathfinder's custom race creation resource which is quite easy to use once you go through it once. I assume 5th Ed will have a similar resource. GL in your campaign and I wish you years of fun. :3

OH! And I largely aped deviant art and furaffinity for animal people pictures which can be quite reliable if you don't mind sifting through all the poop to find the gems.

OH! And #2, concerning custom races, don't be afraid to give each distinct abilities. Like tiger people could have natural claw attacks and increased strength. A bear person would have high strength and con and maybe some natural DR or go into a barb rage at low hp. A rabbit could have low str and con but high dex, advantage on acrobatics and a higher base land speed. An owl could have higher int and wisdom and the ability slow fall by gliding. A wolf could be strong and agile with the ability to track through scent. That sort :3 just a few ideas for ya. Making custom races is great fun! Just make sure to give and NPCs you run into the same racials as the PCs!

Not a fantasy setting but I'm looking forward to trying out Mutant: Genlab Alpha.

This user speaks the truth.
People want to play animal games to feel different don't be afraid to make them different.
Instead of a +5 to climb for monkeys make it possible for them to use all their limbs and tail and so on, people play animalpeople for two reason
1-Furry
2-Want something more original than Human/Big green human/Long eared human/Short bearded human

Why not Ironclaw?

Some people like homebrewing furry 5e races more than playing furry RPGs, I guess. Go figure.

Hey if the guy knows 5th Ed let him play 5th Ed! He wants advice and ideas within what he knows not: "Hey why not go learn a completely new system then force all your players to learn a new system." Jeez it's like people don't realize just because you know and like a thing doesn't mean other people should like that thing barring all else. :p I Don't GM 5th Ed but you don't see me telling the guy he should run an all mutant game of dark heresy. And for the record creating custom races is one of the most fun things I've done as a GM.

That'd gonna take far too long if you're going to consider a big amount of animals. It'd be easier to just add the obvious on the spot and call it a day.

I disagree. It may take a few hours to get all of the races sorted and where he wants them but each would get faster than the last. And considering as a GM I put 4-8 hours of work into preparing every week for game sessions, making a handful of custom races that he will then have and can use forever over this and future campaigns is a comparatively small time investment.

With D&D you get out what you put in. More time ya spend on it the better it'll be.

Actually a good game- look it up. 2nd and later eds though.

that stoat has more abdomen definition than I would expect a stoat to have

Rogue stote has to keep his skills sharp and his body in shape!

I thought she was a rabbit my bad lol

Yes, some people who like furry stuff do, in fact, prefer one system over another, much like any other person might prefer one system over another. What a mind-blowing discovery!

Well, it's not a thro, and it's 3.5, but...

Long story would take way too long to explain, but suffice it to say that thanks to A Wizard Did It, pic related is basically me and one of the other players in my group. I'm the cat.

To add a bit more detail, 'Remove Curse' is not so simple a task in this setting, nor is magic in general such an end-all, be-all operation. Doing magic to someone is...well, not easy, but with training and preparation, relatively simple; undoing your own magic, equally so. Undoing another wizard's magic? Tricky as hell, especially the more powerful and complex it is. A full-on polymorph like we got hit with? Fuck us sideways.

Fortunately, our druid was at least able to cock-up the enchantment enough to work in a workaround that let him cast 'Awaken Animal' on us, with enough of a twist to restore our old personalities and memories, so we aren't entirely gone while we try to find a solution.

So far, though, it's been months in and out of game and we're still looking; on the other hand, Quoth (as he's re-dubbed himself) seems to be doing fine for himself as the dickass thief he always was, and I've been quite pleased to find being a tiny little fuzzball hasn't hampered my warlock abilities one bit.

So really, not much of a rush, at all.

(In case you're curious, one of the other players found the pic, and we all had a good chuckle when she sent it to our group email. Good times.)

Sounds like a fun time user!

I'm running a game called Pugmire this week with my group. The rules are the same as 5e, but it's set in a world were man had died out and Dogs have taken over.

Official rules aren't out yet, but you can get the early access ones for 2 bucks on drivethrurpg