The Wheel of Time

So it was announced today that they are turning the Wheel of Time series into a television series.

io9.gizmodo.com/the-wheel-of-time-is-going-to-be-a-tv-series-after-all-1773693457

Thoughts on this Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y_ts8cPScXM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It might be good like GoT, but it'll probably be bad

I feel like this is definitely a series that could be a good series to watch, (especially if they fix books 8-10 to happen simultaneously)

However, it's also possible to fuck it up so hard I'm not sure how to feel.

noice desu

Can't say I'm much of a WoT fan. I don't think the series agreed well, though I can see why people may like it. It certainly doesn't seem like something that would translate into a TV show in any case.

Oh joy, can't wait to see the shitstorms caused by ol' Egewene "penis hating self entitled magic crack addict" al'Vere.

Anime?

Neat, I wonder if they would keep Rand's harem in this

Also thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=y_ts8cPScXM

>GoT
>good

Will we get to see a mostly insane man impregnate a 14 year old girl and have everyone be happy about it on television?
A man can dream.

first season was

Well, at the very least they can't translate the description. Unless they literally devote 5 minutes of an episode on instructions on how to wash silk

Pretty sure all Rand's waifus were at least 18. Unless you're talking about a different insane man, it's not like those were in short supply in the series.

Mat maybe? I remember Tuon being young.

Tuon was 19 or 20 IIRC, she just looked younger.

It's been optioned a long time.

If you search YT you'll find a horrible Lews Therin scene they had to air a couple of years back to keep the option.

This is probably an attempt to cash in on the GoT hype.

I don't get my hopes up. The material is problematic to say the least. And I don't mean the rape and underage sex. I mean it goes in tedious circles for 3+ books. Saunderson really pulled it out of a spiral.

If they get him on board, I'll consider getting hyped. Until then I'll mutter about bloody womenfolk and roll my dice unperturbed.

By live action fantasy adaptation standards even the comparatively terrible recent seasons are amazingly high quality.

If they bring Jordan's widow on to reign in the stupid bullshit TV execs will want to shove into it, it might be good. Like when GRRM was still overseeing the GoT show.

That said, I'll keep my hopes modest for the time being.

Great an hour of dress straightening and braid tugging...

Well, they didn't have hours of exposition about food in GoT, though.

>TUGGING ON BRAID INTENSIFIES

Blood and Bloody Ashes

Are you kidding? In today's political climate? The whole worldbuilding premise of WoT is that the two genders have mutually exclusive access to their respective branches of magic. Not to mention that half of all the dialog in the series is each gender talking about how the other one is stupid and never makes any sense.

Tumblr is going to go insane over the perceived sexism in this series. Having your gender decide your magic goes completely against the "gender is a social construct" narrative that's been taking over the zeitgeist in recent years.

Even if it's good, it'll cause a shitstorm.

There's even a tranny. Having sex iirc.

Lets not forget that Satan gives sex reassignment as a punishment to one of his lieutenants.

S what I meant.

Oh, dear GOD the trigger platoons are gonna go apeshit in the later seasons.

I cannot WAIT for the salt.

Question is, are they gonna keep the Seanchan sounding like Texans, per authorial intent?

>men dominate the force of magic
>women submit to it

TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Could turn out well. Without an internal monologue We don't have to hear about the women thinking men are all fools for the 30th time that book.

If they are true to the source material people are going to be throwing a fit over neither Aiel or Seanchan being asian or arab or something. I was a little confused until I heard the explanation about why the not-Chinese and the not-Arabs were all white. The explanation makes sense and adds o the depth of the world, but I don't think it's going to be very popular.

There is no way this is going to be good. The book series it was BASED on is somewhat overrated and has the most infuriating women characters of all time.

In a way it's perfect for this ID politic ravaged decade.

I could see it turning out better than the GoT adaptation desu. They have a complete plot in the thousand page novels nobody wants to read, and really if Jordan was forced to the kind of constraints that tv writers have to keep to then he might not have wasted so much space on braid-tugging. It's much easier to edit down an overly long source than bring together and wrap up a messy story the author has abandoned.

They'll probably be pretty hyped about the order of witches with immense political and magical power. GoT is full of female characters who get shit done and don't get raped.

>Oh, dear GOD the trigger platoons are gonna go apeshit in the later seasons.
>I cannot WAIT for the salt.

This, really. If it's done halfway decent and stick to the actual plot. If only the books didn't exist though.

I enjoyed the way men and women spout bullshit about each other. Especially as it was the same for all levels of society.

If it's actually good enough to last, I look forward to MILF Tylin and loli Tuon getting their claws on Mat.

I agree it has the most a grabbing gender dynamicable in the history of fiction, but it is pretty good

I hate fucking autocorrect. Aggravating gender dynamics

I think you forget that literally nobody likes the aes sedai and they're constantly shut down for being childish bitches by literally every other group that has female spellcasters. There's also the bits where they get rekt by the black tower and the seanchan, most of their higher ups and shit are filled with black ajah, and in general the terrible opinion the books kind of force you to have of them.

Watch them be made completely justified at every turn and displayed as infallible rather than the dumb cunts they get repeatedly shown to be in the books.

I think the only tolerable one was the based old lady fishwife who got turned into a teenager.

Ah, Siuan. Perhaps the most tsundere female character in the series.

Dumbing down Aes Sedai idiocy is extremely likely, unless they're the designated bad guys like Elaida. Another flashpoint would be the damane, female slaves treated like animals and such.

>Another flashpoint would be the damane
Maybe, but the people holding the chains are also women.

The practice was instituted by Hawkwing, a black man iirc. Patriarchy as fuck.

Hawkwing's son, because Hawkwing had been mind-controlled by a man (Ishamael, leader of the Forsaken, during one of his free-from-the-Seal decades) to hate Aes Sedai and passed that attitude on.

Damane are the ones who have the spark inborn, and who'll begin channeling no matter what.

The leash-holders, I forget the name, were the ones who can learn to channel, but wouldn't if they never tried. Unless they spend too long with the leash.

Wait. When did that happen? It's been forever since I read the books, and I haven't read past book 7 or so.

You are forgetting the other based aes sedai, Verin.

Brown in her soul.

are you sure? from what I remember it basically went:

"Channeling men want nuts, as they do, some women made prototype A'dam to contain them. Crown used their own invention to enslave said witches and kept them around because its really neat to have your own pet genocide generators"

Well the series is finished, so they don't really have a good casus belli to change shit up. They still will for MUH DIVERSITY. Either Perrin or Mat are probably going to be foreign.

That has to be my favorite book cover of all time

...Thats not a good thing, really.
If they want to be all "muh diversity" theres the bloody Seanchan, with black royalty who doesnt give a shit about your skincolour, only that you are a brainwashed fanatic in service to the Empress, may she live for ever.

Duh. Rand is foreign. Aielborn is half of his spiel.

Mat best boy, and best fate.
Min best girl of the main harem, pity Rand got split between the horrible frenchman and muscled brown sub

I meant as in of a nationality they're not described as being visually similar to. Like having Perrin be an aboriginal man.

Min was nice, I always liked princess blondie more then the overly passive "muh luv" prophet

That's some giganormous straw man you're pushing through the thread there, cowered-flyover-Jesus.

Let them make their show, THEN spew your race hate. It doesn't work preemptively.

Really? I found the princess to be rather dull.

>SJWs will be triggered by all the separate but equal stuff and women being submissive stuff
>MRAs will be triggered by all the matriarchal societies and women being dominate stuff

it will be absolutely beautiful

Technically, the world where they walk around in is basically "Arthurian England + Katanas"

I liked the fact that she was, essentially, a rather spoiled brat. Did rash stuff all the time becase "Its ok, I have a bodyguard/Magic/prophesy/an army so nothing bad could ever happen to me!" and then promptly gets kidnapped and gets half of her remaining army killed for her own stupidity... And then she goes right back to it.
Not to mention being so far removed from the common man that basically all she knew was "They swear" and "I should prevent starvation"

I can't see it turning out well. WoT is too big for a TV series, unless they have an enormous budget it's going to seem like a cheap imitation. Plus, the modern political scene really isn't going to react well if they adapt it 1:1 so it's probably going to be equal parts censored and bowdlerized. I like the series despite its flaws, but it really isn't something that adapts well, and I don't want to see it butchered.

>filename
Hilarious and kinda accurate.

Off the top of my head I can't remember one character in WoT who wasn't some degree of pants-on-head stupid.

I don't think Lan ever does anything particularly stupid. He was regularly suicidal, but he was self aware about it.
Then again marrying Nynaeve could be considered pants on head.

Can someone make me a tl;dr about it so I can decide if it will be worth watching or not? I like the blind guardian song, but I've heard bad opinions about the book series.

It's a fun 80's Fantasy Harem anime in book form that gets kind of bad in the middle on account of the author slowly dying, but then comes back for a great finish under a replacement author. It's not Lord of the Rings, it's just a fun series. YMMV.

The series is great. But it's too complex to summarize. It's classic messiah fantasy with high magic and very few nonhumans (2 races, one is twisted humans with animal parts, the other is giant ogiers).

There are quality problems making up a huge part at the center of the series where it goes nowhere and steps in place while developing ever more same-samey irrelevant characters. It's basically Veeky Forums worldbuilding. But then Saunderson comes in to save the day.

The meme is wimmenz!-manz! And it does weigh the books down. But it's fine. Jordan had a very limited view of gender roles and used that to polarize the entire story. If that bugs you then read something else.

Moiraine, while not always right, never really did anything particular stupid. Tam and Thom were pretty intelligent from memory. That's about the extent of my list at a glance.

Also Mat is pants on head smart

Eh Nynaeve is alright. She can be a colossal bitch at times (in fact, it's practically a default setting), but that's mainly because everyone treats her like shit most of the time. And considering she goes complete dere dere with Lan, he actually got a pretty good deal

the ghost-written books are absolute crap tho, with a few exceptions (Moghedin actually doing something for one).

3 boys get kidnapped by a Sorcerer, who has Aragon as a body guard.
The 3 boys are "important people" which means the world do revolve around them. Which just means they stumble upon artifacts, abominations, and plot points.
Lots of politics, harem and lots of weird shit later, they somehow manage to defeat the big baddy for this cycle.

I love the Wheel of Time series, legitimately enjoyed every book. Here's hoping they don't fuck the TV series up.

We all know that, user. Personally, I expect it to be worse than the Sword of Truth show. But the potential for multi spectrum butthurt is just so enticing.

oh cmon, it cant be worse then that.
Those books where steaming piles of shit from the getgo. WoT is a pretty good read.

You mean nothing stupid besides the actual conspiracy to cover up the chosen one and rather then telling people "Hey, you know. Chosen one!" She, Siuan and a few others who got murdered simply decided to make the world bow to them, because Aes sedai knows better.

Honestly I couldn't get past the sixth book. The female characters are fucking awful. Nynaeve and her braid tugging. Ugh.

because annocining to the world you've found the chosen one is going to result in most of them (especially the Red Ajah) going FALSE DRAGON and then stilling his stupid ass. Yours to for thinking a false dragon is the chosen one.

There plan actually made sense; keep Rand hidden until he had done enough shit to unquestionably prove that he is the real deal, and that he has enough of a power base that the Reds cant just walk in and still him

That plan worked great for Logain. The plan is at least a response to a known failure mode.

As far as most of the world was aware, the Dragon was literally the Devil, not the chosen one, and he would herald the end of the world. Announcing it would be very, very stupid.

Just have Sanderson do it.

I'm hype.

That wouldn't work. Sanderson is a Mormon who is heavily against degeneracy such as unwed couples holding hands. You can't put him in charge of a fantasy Harem, it would go nowhere.

To be fair, so are the characters. except Mat.

*tugs braid* "Marriage before kissing!"

The most suppressed pervs write the dirtiest symbolism. Isn't that what TV writing is all about?

Not really. Rand literally considers that he probably couldn't have stopped Aviendha jumping his bones if he'd wanted to, Elayne was hungry for cock from the moment she laid eyes on him and Min is horny basically 100% of the time. Moiraine even considered sleeping with Rand to get him to do what he had to, but the things she saw in Ruidean convinced her not to.

Only really Nynaeve and to a lesser extent, Egwene are prudes. And Pippin, anyway.

Oh yea, I agree with you. At the same time they do basically go around trying to suppress said urges because its not proper. Until its ok.

And ofcourse Moiraine would consider sleeping with him, she's Cairhien iirc...Those people are freaks, everyone knows that. (Also a double-manipulative cunt for being a Blue Cairhien)

So who's gonna play pic related?

Probably the same guy who does Ishamael, since its the same person.

Who is the red head in homeland? If he bulks up, he would make a perfect rand.

He was more explicit than Jordan.

She has hair!? Who the fuck made that?

Some hack who did poor research.
It's not how I'd picture her.
She's more black Chinese, less jungle fever.

She grows some hair after Mat kidnaps her, but she shaves it off again once she's picked up by her Deathwatch Guards.

the Seanchan were kinda neat. Everything else is a mix of European and Japanese, then suddenly the Han Dynasty comes out of nowhere and starts fucking shit up.

yea, not bald, obviously has tits.
Its not Tuon.

>mfw they have texan accents

>Then again marrying Nynaeve could be considered pants on head.
This is correct.

>Moiraine
She was a manipulative "good guy" character done right. It would have been nice if she had stuck around longer, but her arc was the most satisfying in the series.

they had Chinese accents but I can see how you would get that confused.

no, they had Texan accents. It was confirmed in an interview with RJ. It's why its referred to as a "drawl" in book.

Huh. Well. Okay that's just weird.

yeah, RJ liked to mix and match cultures a lot. Andor is about the only one based on a single culture (England)

Thinking back this would make every interaction between Bayle Domon and Egeanin into some sort of comedy sketch.

Moraine, and logaine both had the best arcs IMO.

Alternatively the entirety of the ashaman.

I can't wait for "kneel, or you will be knelt" to be put to screen. The sjw butthurt will be delicious.