/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

When You Fell In The Foggy Dew Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/831n3lc84p65tkw/Mud & Blood - Triumphant Standards.pdf
mediafire.com/download/aijhhur9ah8j2k8/Osprey - CAM 180 - Easter Rising 1916.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ay1bbt6e9esrb2k/Osprey - ELI 147 - Irish Regiments in the World Wars.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6c6ntmi65biepxn/Osprey - MAA 402 - The British Army In World War I (2) The Western Front 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/5g40m3led2hitmy/Osprey - WAR 080 - Irish Volunteer Soldier 1913-23.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=zF1KoIQVK5g
mashable.com/2015/05/04/operation-frequent-wind/#Eh3_udCzskqX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frequent_Wind#Chaos_at_sea
youtu.be/TxJBVklyIXs?list=PLL1pIdhTxk_7FKIjmv5NaktbYmp5xTDoi&t=2510
mediafire.com/download/3eq0nbg7yba3b0u/Osprey - WAR 076 - German Infantryman (2) Eastern Front 1941-43.pdf
mediafire.com/download/82r0u6w12cmit9k/Corvus - Ancient Naval Wargaming.pdf
mediafire.com/download/aluy2s9m4t6pss4/Warring Fleets.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!

April 29th in military history:

1091 – Battle of Levounion: The Pechenegs are defeated by Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos.
1386 – Battle of the Vikhra River: The Principality of Smolensk is defeated by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and becomes its vassal.
1429 – Joan of Arc arrives to relieve the Siege of Orléans.
1483 – Gran Canaria, the main island of the Canary Islands is conquered by the Kingdom of Castile.
1521 – Swedish War of Liberation: Swedish troops under Gustav Vasa defeat a Danish force under Didrik Slagheck in the Battle of Västerås and soon capture the city of Västerås. The Danish-held castle, however, does not surrender to the Swedes until after a nine-month siege.
1781 – American Revolutionary War: British and French ships clash in the Battle of Fort Royal off the coast of Martinique.
1862 – American Civil War: New Orleans falls to Union forces under Admiral David Farragut.
1916 – World War I: The British 6th Indian Division surrenders to Ottoman Forces at the Siege of Kut in one of the largest surrenders of British forces up to that point.
1916 – Easter Rising: After six days of fighting, Irish rebel leaders surrender to British forces in Dublin, bringing the Easter Rising to an end.
1945 – World War II: The German army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.
1945 – World War II: The Captain-class frigate HMS Goodall (K479) is torpedoed by U-286 outside the Kola Inlet becoming the last ship of the Royal Navy sunk in the European theatre of World War II.
1970 – Vietnam War: United States and South Vietnamese forces invade Cambodia to hunt Viet Cong.
1975 – Vietnam War: Operation Frequent Wind: The U.S. begins to evacuate U.S. citizens from Saigon before an expected North Vietnamese takeover. U.S. involvement in the war comes to an end.
1999 – The Avala Tower near Belgrade is destroyed in the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia.

It is 100 years since the end of the Easter Rising, an armed insurrection in Ireland during Easter Week 1916. The Rising was launched by Irish republicans to end British rule in Ireland and establish an independent Irish Republic while the United Kingdom was heavily engaged in World War I. It was the most significant uprising in Ireland since the rebellion of 1798, and the first armed action of the Irish revolutionary period.

Organised by a seven-man Military Council of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, the Rising began on Easter Monday, 24th April, and lasted for six days. Members of the Irish Volunteers — led by schoolmaster and Irish language activist Patrick Pearse, joined by the smaller Irish Citizen Army of James Connolly and 200 women of Cumann na mBan — seized key locations in Dublin and proclaimed an Irish Republic. The British Army brought in thousands of reinforcements as well as artillery and a gunboat. There was fierce street fighting on the routes into the city centre, where the rebels put up stiff resistance, slowing the British advance and inflicting heavy casualties. Elsewhere in Dublin, the fighting mainly consisted of sniping and long-range gun battles. The main rebel positions were gradually surrounded and bombarded with artillery. There were isolated actions in other parts of Ireland, with attacks on the Royal Irish Constabulary barracks in County Meath and in County Galway, and the seizure of the town of Enniscorthy, County Wexford. Germany agreed to send an arms shipment to the rebels, but the British had intercepted it just before the Rising began. Volunteer leader Eoin MacNeill had then issued a countermand in a bid to halt the Rising, which greatly reduced the number of rebels who mobilised.

With much greater numbers and heavier weapons, the British Army suppressed the Rising. Pearse agreed to an unconditional surrender on Saturday 29 April, but sporadic fighting continued until Sunday, when word reached the other rebel positions.

After the surrender the country remained under martial law. About 3,500 people were taken prisoner by the British, many of whom had played no part in the Rising, and 1,800 of them were sent to internment camps or prisons in Britain. Most of the leaders of the Rising were executed following courts-martial. The Rising brought physical force republicanism back to the forefront of Irish politics. It, and the British reaction to it, led to increased popular support for Irish independence. In December 1918, republicans won a landslide victory in the general election to the British Parliament. They did not take their seats, but instead convened the First Dáil and declared the independence of the Irish Republic, which led to the War of Independence.

Almost 500 people were killed in the Easter Rising. About 54% were civilians, 30% were British military and police, and 16% were Irish rebels. More than 2,600 were wounded. Many of the civilians were killed as a result of the British using artillery and heavy machine guns, or mistaking civilians for rebels. Others were caught in the crossfire in a crowded city. The shelling and the fires it caused left parts of inner city Dublin in ruins.

The Rising presents a fascinating scenario for a very different kind of WW1 battle; a heated firefight in a crowded modern city. TFL's Triumphant Standards takes a look at gaming the Rebellion.

mediafire.com/download/831n3lc84p65tkw/Mud & Blood - Triumphant Standards.pdf

mediafire.com/download/aijhhur9ah8j2k8/Osprey - CAM 180 - Easter Rising 1916.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ay1bbt6e9esrb2k/Osprey - ELI 147 - Irish Regiments in the World Wars.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6c6ntmi65biepxn/Osprey - MAA 402 - The British Army In World War I (2) The Western Front 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/5g40m3led2hitmy/Osprey - WAR 080 - Irish Volunteer Soldier 1913-23.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=zF1KoIQVK5g

Small BMP

That actually sounds really interesting, I've been looking for a way to string my battles together in a meaningful way. Will look into, thanks.

NSW Aus?

>Quest threads are gone
Fucking based.

>hating on based Rommel
>a guy who had an army that was 4/5s Italian with no resupply from the Fatherland and still pushed to Cairo
>a guy who stood up against Hitler's interference and war crimes and bravely took his own life to save his family from vengeance

>Almost 500 people were killed in the Easter Rising. About 54% were civilians, 30% were British military and police, and 16% were Irish rebels.
>tfw the Irish somehow still survived

They're like cockroaches desu.

gas the irish potato war now

Quest threads are gone? Well I might now have a reason to look at the other threads on this board.

So what happened? Who killed quest threads?

Based NipMoot exiled them all to /qst/

>Armed revolt during the First World War
>Court martialed like the traitors they were
Remember the good old days when the Yanks supported terrorists?

On an unrelated note, I didn't realise how much China and Vietnam hate each other. China even invaded Vietnam for (get this!) stopping the Khymer Rouge. They only stopped occupying territory in the 1990s.

For the sake of the 'kill all the four eyes' Khymer Rouge...

>Remember the good old days when the Yanks supported terrorists?
Ah yes, literally forever.

Not him but where abouts in NSW?

only the orspreys in the header.

Newcastle.

Gentlemen. I have a problem...

your desk is a tip tBh mate.

why have you got a Turnip Cart?

this desu

>coins on mousepad
>random electronics, credit card, bubble wrap, and paper everywhere

presumably the credit card is for quick minis ordering, and the bubble wrap is part of the unboxing

gotta order turnip carts fast!

I only wanted to order the bases, but they had a turnip cart. How could I resist? Thinking of using the wild boars etc. For M&T hidden movement markers. Just pop a note under each game.

probably within easy reach for post-Salute goodies

How else are you gonna move all those turnips?

I'd actually really like a wargame which included non-military aspects. Obviously this is more the realm of video games but it'd give more meaning to the battles.

Some do, generally as mission objectives or within a campaign setting.

What is the context of this photograph I read the file name but why are they doing it?

Are they not allowed to keep it but don't want to send it back to the mainland?

A campaign setting would be acceptable, though even then I find most of those too simplified and too complicated to keep track of, even at the same time (ie, it's been simplified in a way that renders it meaningless by abstraction, and it's too complicated in a way that requires gaming the system and recording lots of numbers).

>Such was the speed of the evacuation and the number of people involved that the ships became overwhelmed with people and the helicopters that had brought them. Orders were given to push surplus helicopters over the sides of the ships to make room for more. Some pilots were told to drop off their passengers, then ditch their machines in the sea, bailing out at the last moment to be picked up by waiting rescue boats.

mashable.com/2015/05/04/operation-frequent-wind/#Eh3_udCzskqX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Frequent_Wind#Chaos_at_sea

Well what do you want then? you say you don't want things abstracted as it is 'rendered meaningless'. Which would imply you don't want a relatively rules light system focusing on 'supplies' or 'manpower' etc.

But then you don't want to record lots of numbers that a more detailed campaign would require?

Supplies and manpower are military. When I say non-military, I mean like civilian production. And when a region is taken, you take over the civilian production for that region, or scorch it, or whatever.

youtu.be/TxJBVklyIXs?list=PLL1pIdhTxk_7FKIjmv5NaktbYmp5xTDoi&t=2510

If you're interested in the Vietnam War then it's well worth watching the whole series. But this shows really well the sheer chaos and panic in South Vietnam when the North was closing in.

> During the gun trial of "Minas Geraes" ten 12-inch guns were trained on the broadside and discharged simultaneously.
> The combined energy of the projectiles amounted to 500,000 foot-tons, or sufficient to lift the ship bodily 26 feet into the air.

I assume this means the energy of the broadside is equivalent to the amount of energy that would be needed to lift the ship that high and not that the ship actually jumped out of the water when it fired.

Still cool though.

lol if you haven't accidentally memorised your card number

But seriously, who doesn't need a turnip cart? Animals and civilian stuff are way under-represented on typical wargaming tables, it's related to the way people spend far more time and effort on the miniatures they use in some games than on the basic terrain elements they use in every game.

I've mounted some Brits on appropriate bases for Death in the Dark Continent. Although the inclusion of leaders in units is stil a bit unclear for me, I'll just somehow figure it out eventually.

Sorry for the crappy photo.

Death in the Dark Continent does look like the best ruleset for African wargaming, but it annoys me that you can't take Boers on foot even though they usually dismounted for battle.

Cavalry can dismount IIRC.

Oh well that settles it then, thanks. I also downloaded Black Powder, Sword and Flame, In the Heart of Africa, and Colonial Era Wargaming, and though they have their uses I think Death in the Dark Continent is best. I hate standardised army lists which are supposed to apply to multiple armies and units a la Black Powder.

Yep, checked it, and they can. Dismounted light horse fights as skirmishers and can re-mount if needed, and if only dismounted figures are present, treat them as mounted till they come within 6" of an enemy, or they want to shoot, treat them as dismounted for the rest of the game.

I haven't played the game yet, but I've heard only good things about it.

Where's that from? I wanna see more of that autumn camo.

What scale are those?

mediafire.com/download/3eq0nbg7yba3b0u/Osprey - WAR 076 - German Infantryman (2) Eastern Front 1941-43.pdf

1:72 Esci British Infantry

What's a good, tactical, squad-level game, preferably modern or sci-fi (basically anything where fighting in close quarters is a concern) a bit simpler than Advanced Squad Leader?

I want to get good at small-scale tactics because (in no particular order)...

1. It'll be useful for doing well in old school D&D.
2. If some crazy fucked up shit goes down and people are fighting for supplies to survive, I want to be as valuable as possible.
3. Paintball.
4. It just seems like a cool skill to have.

Striker, Gruntz, Laserburn all spring to mind, I'm sure there are several other out there

Traveller. Great squad based tactics, simple, deadly. Assault rifles can fire on semi-burst-full, ammo is tracked, reloading is a thing, aiming is a thing, spending multiple turns aiming for a bigger bonus is a thing. Reactions like ducking behind cover allow combat to be a bit more fluid.

There's rules for all the standard weapons and grenades / smoke, heavy weapons, armor piercing etc.

Check out the mongoose core book, it has everything you need to run operators. I've used it to run everything from vikings to napoleonics to modern conflicts to futuristic.

Those are lovely

Thanks. Sadly I don't have much time to finish them any time soon, but will try to paint the Zulu War British army in the summer.

For Bolt Action, Jagdpanzer iv L70 would be a good addition for a grenadier force? or Hetzer to death?

Is early or late war Bolt Action more popular where you guys live?

The L70 gun is pretty much overkill in my opinion. It can be useful in tank wars, but in a regular BA game you are probably better off with a StuH42 since soft targets are more common than hard targets and you can pin tanks with HE too.

F-F-F-Friday night bump.

Anyone doing anything hobby related?

Bubble wrap is one of the best inventions in the human history

Painting Vikings (8 bondi) and Normans (6 Knights, 4 Mounted Sergeants)

Well, I put a basecoat on my new Warhammers/Riflemen (Robotech Tactics minis) and was planning to start some actual painting, but then I got distracted watching Star Wars Rebels.

gonna look at some terrain tutor videos on basing.

Also undercoated some stuff (reseen lance) and was then distracted.

Would Chevauchee be any good for ancients? Me and my buddy played a bit with some HYW stuff we had laying around, but most of our collections are ancient focused...

Wondering why I order from Wayland because of how damn long it takes.

Since you die if you finish your backlog though, anybody put together the Perry Sudan/Afghanistan British Infantry yet?

Don't order from wayland, they're rubbish. You can get perry plastics off ebay for discount with free postage.

I have on the metal but not plastic so it's not very useful to you.

are you 2nd Anglo Afghan or a Sudan bro?

Not sure yet, just reading about late Victorian British military stuff at the moment.

Looking for copies of the Minden Games Naval combat rules. Battleship Captain and Dreadnoughts and Battlecrusiers specifically.

Didn't see them, or any Minden products, in the various file repositories and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Also any comments on those systems would be appreciated.

Page 10 bump

1. What scale is that?
2. Are there any smaller scale medieval or renaissance naval combat games?

So just curious if anyone can tell me something.

In By Fire and Sword, I'm confused on unit sizes. I assume in the skirmish lists it's as many guys as are pictures in the diagram(so a picture of 6 guys wouls be two stands of three models), yes? So when you play a bigger game using the divisional lists, can you combine those stands into bigger units as they become a regiment together? So if I have a Sweedish Infantry Regiment with 8 stands of pikemen, for example, can I have those 8 stand act like one big unit rather than 8 separate ones? I feel like that's what it's going for, but the rules for army building are super poorly worder if you ask me.

And to anyone who has played BFaS and Pike & Shotte: which do you prefer and why? Which gave you a better sense of grand armies clashing? Just looking at the rules it's hard to tell.

I wish kt were. I want ro do an early war BEF army.

Skirmish Sangin. The rules are a tad on the complex side, but it is much less complicated than ASL. Figures are basically characters, with skills and experience points (like D&D), lots of the nitty gritty is just percentile based skill rolls.

Weapons are abstracted to down to their function, but it deals with communication, spotting and a whole lot of small unit goodness.

Doesn't doing that ruin the compatibility of your models with other game systems which require them to be based individually?

I might go and buy a 1:48 Tamiya Cromwell tomorrow if I can find one. If I do I will report back.

Oh shit nigger...me too

Bad luck m8. We probably know each other.

>Now kith!

There aren't really many Colonial games that require separate basing. And 1:72 is dirt cheap, so I can grab a box, paint them up on separate bases and call it a day without any problem.

Hay gaiz
I heard that one od the modules or kits in Advanced Squad Leader superceded Starter Kit #1 and possibly #2. Does anyone know anything about that?

Also, what's the status of MuliMan Publishing right now and ASL? I can't get their page to load but I think something's borked on my end.

Isn't 1:72 25/28mm? Not exactly cheap.

Oh, I forgot to ask about compatibility/differences between Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader. From what I understand, ASL came about after SL started getting convoluted with conflicting rules and was a direct development from SL.

No. 1:72 is 20-23mm (usually 23 with 1:76 being around 20mm, and "truescale" 25mm minis tend to be around 1:72), and a box of figures is around 5 pounds with 30-50 infantrymen.

1/72 plastics are fairly cheap and plentiful. I'd guess maybe between 8 and 11 bucks a box with anything from 15 to 50 or so figures

I see. Not as many suppliers though right?

Fucktsons of suppliers. See the Plastic Soldier Review.

You mean places to buy them? If the local game store doesn't have them, you can try a hobby store. Of course, there are also online stores. A couple of manufacturers would be Airfix and Zvezda.

Where do you guys get your paints from?

I've been using Warlord paints but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper alternative.

I buy my paints locally and it's a mixture of artists' acrylics, scale model acrylics, and game mini acrylics.
For primer, I use either a spray enamel in white or gray, or a general purpose spray primer. Be careful when spraying an enamel/oil onto plastics. It's not really going to come off. Also it eats certain materials like foam.
If you're feeling a little adventurous, some things I use are pastel chalks ground down to a powder of different grades and thinned out with either a clear acrylic medium or just a bit of rubbing alcohol for weathering purposes.
I like using artists' water based oil paints for certain things like shading and weathering too. They blend very nicely.

are early and late war the only options? there's no "mid war"?

Locally buy Vallejo. Avoiding Army Painter Warpaints, though the dips are nice IMHO.

Matte varnish spray is generic brand cheapo stuff. Works.

The Army Painter paints are no good?
I haven't tried them yet (working off a back-stock of Citadel stuff), but I'm a fan of AP color primers and their Strong/Dark tone inks.

Well, yeah, the color primers, inks and dips are good, standard paints, not so much. Really weak coverage for most of the time. Tho the white is surprisingly decent.

>I haven't played the game yet, but I've heard only good things about it.

Chris Peers is the man when it comes to African wargaming; he also wrote AK47 Republic (and the excellent WW1 rules Contemptible Little Armies). I remember when his Darkest Africa stuff began as a series of articles in Wargames Illustrated, he's always had a particular enthusiasm for the subject that is reflected in how enjoyable the games can be. Also I love the massive selection of army lists he always provides.

> (You)
>1. What scale is that?

10mm, using a system called Squadron Commander, from Capitan Games

>2. Are there any smaller scale medieval or renaissance naval combat games?

There are very few games in this line, but pdf related could be worth a look. There's also the very basic Corvus, and 2HW's generic fantasy naval set Warring Fleets which can be adapted for ancient/medieval stuff.

mediafire.com/download/82r0u6w12cmit9k/Corvus - Ancient Naval Wargaming.pdf
mediafire.com/download/aluy2s9m4t6pss4/Warring Fleets.pdf

>Oh, I forgot to ask about compatibility/differences between Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader. From what I understand, ASL came about after SL started getting convoluted with conflicting rules and was a direct development from SL.

I played a lot of SL but never ASL. Squad Leader itself started out as an elegant little system, but then they added three expansions which progressively turned everything into a clusterfuck. Advanced Squad Leader reconciled it all and started afresh. The games aren't outright compatible in that you could run a scenario from one with the rules of the other, but certainly a familiarity with either system makes learning the other one much easier. Our resident expert is ASLAnon; he's MIA I notice, but pop over to the Flames of War General and you might find him there. Certainly he's the guy to answer your questions.

Hi, I'm looking for a medieval system that allows playing larger battles that is not "rules-light" or "streamlined". weird dice types are ok.

I hate how recently most systems seem to forego granularity in favor of just breaking it all down to a few d6 rolls that are mostly the same no matter what is actually happening.

Warhammer Ancient Battles? The Armies of Chivalry book has pretty much everything you need.

I just use cheap acrylics from any stationary or bookshop.

>pop over to the Flames of War General
I'm going to check back in this thread later to see if I get a reply before posting to FoWG, I think. Thanks for the reply!

I agree with this.

Didn't find 1:48 Tamiya Cromwell. Saw other things though.

build it....

Modelling technique guide for German tanks.

The 1:48 tamiya stuff that might just fit alongside BA 28mm plastics. Nothing for me though.

BUT I did see a 1:288 scale SR71 Lockheed Blackbird! Good for 6mm/Battletech etc.