mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
(Leave the memes at the door)

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

What's your favorite plane of existence?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!u9YRnTQC!JqSBotWbGAai3_YxJgbxG1WTNahq0uk6HHjzoFpyWmk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's a plane that's just salt?

You're on it right now.

it's where dwarves originally came from

Yeah, the 2E Inner Planes guide actually had writeups for all the weirder elemental planes.

Void was weird because complicated equipment like clocks had to roll saves not to just stop working.

What class makes the best necromancer? What class makes the quickest necromancer? What class makes the most fun necromancer?

New vampires from zendikar. Don't worry about class, just give people a special hug.

Wizard, wizard, and bard.

Zombies are your groupies and you're a rock star, baby.

Wizard. Wizard.
Oathbreaker Paladin

Reposting from the last thread:

The Kor have a dedicated Climb speed, does that mean that they can climb in combat without checks? Or just that when they make Athletics checks they climb really fast? I want to be sure before I bring it up with my DM.

I thought that an Oathbreaker got necromancy shit before the wizards?

>>/v/

how do I get my dm to pay attention to what enemies can actually do

he got sick of us destroying his encounters too easily and tries to make things harder by just overbudgeting his encounters crazily (i.e we regularly fight double/triple/more than deadly level encounters) but because he doesn't actually play any of the creatures properly we just steamroll them anyway

Whether you have to make a check or not is independent from your climb speed

Usually you halve your speed when climbing, kor don't have to

Does anyone have proper maps for Castle Raveloft? The pack in the trove don't have them included

Lol at the Ooze plane

Like why do fantasy writers always put stupid elemental shit in their games?

They should just stick to the classical greek/chinese imho.

Close, but wrong. The rule for climbing is that each foot of movement costs one extra foot "unless a creature has a climb speed"

It doesn't matter RAW whether your climb speed is faster than your walking speed or slower. If you have a climb speed of 5, and a walking speed of 100, you're traveling the 100 foot wall in 20 turns, not 1.

like I said in the last thread, death cleric, oathbreaker, or warlock

clerics have the funnest spells IMO, spirit guardians doing necrotic is swell

Warlocks don't learn Animate Dead, do they? How would a Warlock necromancer work?

They don't, no. To be a warlock necromancer you'd have to do 5 levels in warlock (for 3rd-level slots there) and then 5 levels in wizard or cleric (for animate dead). It'd be a bit exploitable due to short rest slots but for what you get out of it you might as well just go necromancer wizard all the way.

That might be RAW, but RAI I think that just means that climb speeds don't suffer the same malus as regular move speeds.

The plane of ooze is rad, though. All of the waste from Sigil winds up there, along with any adventurers who don't watch their step.

From its very inception, D&D has always had a lot of over-the-top, gonzo weirdness. You can tone it down for your table if you like, but I prefer my Planescape to be more like fantasy Rick and Morty.

I just checked and they actually don't, I guess I remembered wrong. Like it's been said you could multiclass and use short rest slots to never worry about losing control of your minions. Even if a class doesn't have minion raising and stuff, you still have plenty of other necromantic dark magic like vampiric touch, and you can do some minion stuff with pact of the chain/summoning spells/minions of chaos/create thrall

RAI aligns with RAW unless you have a really weird interpretation. Why would wizards stat out a slower climb speed for a creature if they didn't want it to climb slower?

>release warlock class about learning from someone who made death their bitch through necromancy
>it doesn't let the warlock animate dead

This is almost as bad as the time wizards released a demon summoning UA and didn't include options for warlocks to summon demons.

How retarded is this company?

>malus

I've been silently upset about both of these for a long time. I remember being so excited for the Chain Pact because I thought it was going to be a scaling pet class with a fiend pet. How naive I was.

You can use create undead because it's a mystic arcanum. That is, if your game even lasts that long.

That and booming blade not being on the Bard list when almost every Thunder spell is are like, huge spell list peeves for me.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disappointed with the free Zendikar supplement.

Ah well. At least it means that Wizards might some day make a full on Dominaria, Kamigawa, or Ravnica setting book for D&D.

It looks like something a couple of guys who actually like magic lore threw together on their lunch break, and I mean that in the best way.

It's quick, it's kinda dirty, it's cheap, but it's a cute little labour of love.

Yeah. That's the impressed part.

How do I stat my BBEG for a party of 5 leve 20's? (I've never gotten this far with a group, we usually take too long and then the semester ends.)
He's a low tier god/avatar of one and he has his 2 most devout followers with him, he's a god of chaos and has collapsed all the planes together because he wants to see what would happen, the other gods don't give enough of a fuck to stop him so it happened. He has a snake motif, if that helps.

It's basically a UA-level thing, considering they released it alongside a survey about whether or not people want more. It's a testing-the-waters thing, and there might be enough people who like MtG lore and play 5e that we'll be seeing more at some point.

I'm for it and I don't know shit about Magic. It means more settings for people to use and a way to get even more people in the hobby, even if they're only halfway supported by MtG-side employees making shit on their lunch breaks.

Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks user.

Have him have an avatar form (maybe an archmage or something, just a channel of magic energy), then have him enter his god mode, maybe a refluffed kraken? Tentacles could be snake heads like a tangled mess of snakes, change the lightning stuff to fire or another fitting damage type, change ink cloud to be not underwater and be a cloud of poison.

Any reccomended modules for a first time DM?

So I'm the dumbass who is either attempting to half-casterize bard or to make an alternate half-bard, right now it's mostly the former.

Am I horribly off-track?

New Power gained at level 7
Mass Inspiration; Once per rest, a number of creatures up to level + Cha mod can be inspired as if they received a normal Bardic Inspiration. Progression is d6 (7), d8 (11), d10 (15) and d12 (19)
Spell progression
As Half-Caster, with normal Cantrip progression (that is, a level 1 Bard only 2, 5 has 3, 10 has 4)
Known spells: same progression as Ranger.
Spell list tweaks
Added to the spell list: Mass Healing Word (level 3, so that bard still has a mass cure at level 9)
Compulsion is moved to level 3, remains identical
Power Word Heal is moved to level 5, its healing will probably be toned down to 60-70HP (equal or slightly weaker than Heal)
Either
Possible Secrets tweak: Also grants a known spells slot. (total known is thus 14, 15 for Scholars and Jesters, which admittedly has the problem of being equal to Warlock and base Sorcerer)

As a balancing act, I might also let each college have a small bonus (all fighting styles for Skald, choice between 2W, CQ Shooter and Dueling for Blade, an additional expertise for Scholar and Jester, this might overstep though)

This is a really inelegant way of presenting the z-levels of Positive/Negative and their interactions with the elemental and para-elemental planes (and the quasi-elements they create).

Radiance is the best plane, by the way.

How would you do it then, you black cock huffing jack ass?

I love that Positive Energy could literally overload you to death with lifeforce. Literally the only use, ever, for protection from positive energy in 2e afair. That was also the days when mummies were Positive Energy undead.

Lost Mine of Phandelver (the starter set) is fantastic for it.

And honestly Curse of Strahd is shaping up to be not too bad either, if you're willing to be a bit generous during the Death House part (or just start at 3rd level). At least from a prep point of view, it's very easy to run and understand if you ready through it.

Favorite: Feywild, Carceri

Least Favorite: Pandemonium, Mechanus

The Feywild, Prime Material, and Shadowfell are also flat planes that intersect this sphere; the Feywild runs across the Positive plane and Positive-aligned quasielemental planes, the Prime Material cuts straight across the main elemental planes, and the Shadowfel is just like the Feywild but with Negative and Nega-quasis.

Further outside those flat planes are the Outer Planes; Good ones up top near the Feywild and Positive stuff, Evil down below. Lawful Outer Planes are either closer to the inside than the Chaotic ones, or are near the Fire/Earth side of the Inner Sphere, while Chaotics are near the Wind/Water.

Feywild is one of the few things I liked about 4e and my fave plane overall.
Limbo by way of the gith as well.

So kind of like this. Actually, that Outer Plane description probably needs a little tweaking if you want to represent everything all at once. It's probably best to keep the Inner Plane positions and the Outher ones separate because the Inner Planes don't REALLY have a Law/Chaos bend like the Outher ones do and people might get the wrong idea. although if you HAD to assign law/chaos to the primary elements, Kossuth (fire) and Grumbar (earth) are definitely more lawful than Akadi (air) and Istishia (water), despite all of them being True Neutral. Akadi andIstishia value change and movement too much, and while Kossuth is also all about transformation, he just fucking hates chaos and lelsorandum idiots for some reason. this is also why he's Best God, btw

It also kind of fucks up the touching ring of Outer Planes as they're commonly depicted because you have to shoot all the way from the top of this tower to the bottom, but then again the Planes don't actually give a hot gay fuck about Euclidean geometry so they can do that if they want.

Can someone clarify something for me?

Mold Earth:
>You choose a portion of dirt or stone that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You manipulate it in one of the following ways:

>* If you target an area of loose earth, you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away. This movement doesn't have enough force to cause damage.

"...you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away."

What exactly does this mean? If I'm moving a five foot cube of earth along the ground, how can I only move it 5 feet away? Does it mean:
>target 5 foot cube of earth on/below ground
>excavate it (it is pulled up against gravity and the bottom of the cube is flush with the ground)
>I can move it across the top of the hole to a 5 foot square adjacent to the hole
>I can move it along the spaces adjacent to the whole as I please and deposit it in any one of them
?

Is there a feat for two weapon fighting or should I dip a level of fighter for my swashbuckler rogue?

>swashbuckler rogue

REEEE

>REEEEing at potentially stupid questions
Is this a bad time to ask what cantrips are a must-have for a blade pact warlock? Eldritch Blast is a given, but are any of the melee ones worth it?

Which class hits is main perks the earliest? I want to play a fun class, but I don't want to level up like crazy before I can have my fun.

It's called Dual Wielder. It doesn't give you the style. It's also a bit of a waste since it's only a boost from 1d6 to 1d8 weapons.

Cleric gets their spec at level 1.

What's wrong with Swashbuckler?

Trivializes the playstyle of the rogue
>you get sneak attack whenever you attack

Rogue on easy/boring mode

You are literally Minecraft-digging a block in front of you and placing the resulting dirt cube to the side. But this cube is 5 feet on a side.

Only when no one else is within 5', it's literally only useful in one on one duels. Are you unable to read?

I need your help, Veeky Forums. I'm playing a wild magic tiefling sorcerer, and I don't know what spells to take at level 3. Here's what I have now:

Cantrips: Thaumaturgy, Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Friends, Mage Hand
1st: Mage Armor, Witch Bolt, Shield

I also have a staff that lets me cast Mage Armor once per day. So I learn one new spell, and I can replace one that I know. I'll have 2 level 2 spell slots. I'm thinking of learning Phantasmal Force and replacing Mage Armor with something. Thoughts?

>Trivializes the playstyle
>Of having the fighter stand within 5 feet of you so you can shank a guy's side
>Of hiding behind a wall for 2 seconds and popping out from the same spot to shoot from a distance

>By allowing a sneak attack if you have only one hostile creature within 5 feet
It's really fine, mate.

Silent Image if you are creative and smart and your DM isn't a fag.
Color Spray otherwise.
Thunderwave can be useful if you never mention the fact that it creates a fuck-loud explosion and your DM is dumb enough to not make every enemy in the cave come running to beat your asses.

Levitate's good for level 2. You can use it on enemies, too, and set up goofy shit if you have a Warlock or Battlemaster in the party.
Invisibility is also always a classic, especially since you're a Sorc and can Twin Spell that shit.
>melee shit-ruiners pop out of invisibility right next to the enemy wizard

It looks like you are the one who is unable to read, friend.

It's late night /5eg/, get ready for some pretty salty drunk posters that are just looking for an argument.

I'm pretty sure they were talking about the official version in SCAG, not the UA version.

It's the same, just with tighter wording.

So it is instantly excavated from range, it scoots directly to the caster and the caster chooses an adjacent square to deposit it? What if you want to put it somewhere other than immediately beside you?

Levitation does sound fun, but it's another concentration spell, which is meh. Color Spray isn't though.... I'll probably go with that. Thanks.

pls post the pdf

No. One says allies, one says other creatures.

>if no creature other than your target is within 5' of you

it's in the OP mega

There has been a Mega trove with all the official 5e content in /5eg/ since the early days of /5eg/s, before it was even called /5eg/. It's the first thing in the OP, the first thing in every thread. Jesus fucking christ, user.

Is it OP to give a character the base undead properties? I'm thinking about having a homebrewed forsaken race, but I'm not sure what draw backs to add.

There's no such thing as "base undead properties." There are effects that explicitly say that they don't affect undead, but nothing that the "undead" type otherwise provides.

This isn't 3.5e, user.

Elysium. I wonder if the giant whales you could ask for a ride are still theres.

Incidentally I'm still pissed off they changed the names of the planes. Mount Celestia vs the Seven Heavens? Bytopia vs the Twin Paradises? Beastlands vs the Happy Hunting Grounds? I bet the Abyss doesn't have 666 layers any more.

My bad, I've tried to access the mega before and had issues connecting to the site so i forgot. Thx.

It may be concentration, but you can completely immobilize two enemies (with Twin). Hold Person does the same thing and targets a harder save stat, but it doesn't aid allies in shoving fuckers off cliffs or launching them a hundred feet into the air, which is just hilarious. Also useful as shit out of combat just for getting around; one of the more limited movement spells to be sure, but the one with the best combat capabilities.

If you're a real champ you can also levitate over enemies and fire cone spells downwards, which basically turns them into circular AoEs.

Get rid of Witch Bolt. It's trash.

My groups always did it more as really weak earthbending where you can lift and manipulate the rock/dirt but can only drop it wherever you want it to go.

Also it obviously isnt in a perfect square.

Since the rules state that "when the effect ends blah blah returns" we always just ruled that as if you have the earth in a position where it wouldn't be able to stand on it's own it crumbles into a pile wherever it is (ie: making a dirt hole the dirt won't magically fly back into the pit you dug, but if you built a structure out of it it'll collapse unless built in a way that gravity won't make it fall apart.)

I'm actually surprised they went back on the creature types for tiefling, elves and gnomes considering nothing seems to affect those too much.

Admittedly land druids and ancients paladins would be probably annoying to deal with for elves and gnomes.

Five feet to the side of the square you're excavating it from. Where you, the caster are, is irrelevant, as long as you're moving dirt from a square within the spell's range.

>launching them a hundred feet into the air
That takes 5 rounds to do.

Witch bolt is next to go, after mage armor.

It's just dirt moving, not dirt shaping. The hour long effects are only for putting symbols on it or making difficult/normal terrain, everything else is an instantaneous effect.

But when you consider that in a single round you can essentially make a 10 foot wall (a hole appears 5 feet down, you move the dirt onto level ground 5 feet up), it's pretty good. Obviously it's still not in a solid cube but D&D doesn't do flow rates and piles or half-square elevation or anything so you may as well consider it mechanically 5 feet each cube for the purposes of traversing terrain, even if it only creates a three foot pile (the latter being more important for jumping gaps, heights, or determining how good the cover is). Speaking of cover, it's a great instant cover cantrip.

Why did they nerf conjuring so hard? I feel like they could have reeled it in enough just with the concentration rule. Instead they also opted to remove all the useful spells. They need to have a few spells for summoning one decent CR fiends, celestials, and elementals that you get at a low level, but then scales, so you don't need to take a three other spells. Why did they not do this?!??! I AM ACTUALLY VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS!!!!!!

Also, you can't levitate the creature out of range, can you? So it could only go 60 feet up.

You don't do the launching, at least not as a basic Sorcerer. You couldn't get them 100 feet up if you wanted anyway since the range on Levitate is 60 feet.

You use Levitate so that your allies can stand under the enemy. Consider what happens when a Battlemaster starts throwing javelins with 15 foot Pushing Attacks attached from directly below an enemy, or a Warlock uses 10 foot Repelling Blasts on each hit of Eldritch Blast (two at 5, three at 11).

If you're a Sorclock, you can do this yourself, too. Only takes a single level of Warlock (or Magic Initiate to take the cantrip). Levitate an enemy 20 feet. Next turn, walk under him, double Repelling him 20 feet higher, Quickened Spell, double Repelling again, drop Levitate concentration and walk away. Crunch. You can also hurl them right off protected ledges (like a castle battlement) easy by launching them sideways with Repelling.

This may not be the most mechanically damaging stuff you can do, but it sure as fuck is the most ___F___U___N___ . My own party has used this extensively to turn enemies into projectiles aimed at their pals.
>picking an orc warleader up off his worg and launching him into his own shaman, dealing an extra 6d6 damage to both of them and knocking them prone

Thanks, but it just seems a little too cheesy for my tastes. Also, we don't have a Warlock or a Battlemaster.

You can get an extra 10 out of that if you high jump off a table.

Of all the cheesey shit that magical spells that don't deal straight damage can do, this is one of the least egregious and most hilarious.

>we don't have a Warlock or a Battlemaster
NO BATTLEMASTER? Shit, what is your party doing?

Forsaken aren't affected by Chain Undead or similar effects, so you might as well just make them humanoid if you want to emulate WoW.

>(or Magic Initiate to take the cantrip)
Actually, that won't get you repelling blast, but that's why Sorlocks are such a popular thing.

I take that back. The Fighter and I just hit level 3, so I'm not sure what he's taking.

Given the amount of places that are all 'there is no reason to come here, everything here will kill you, no, seriously, dude, why are we going here', taking a Rick and Morty stance seriously helped me to understand Planescape.

>tfw have so many good build ideas
>write them down in .txt's but never get the opportunity to try them.

One of the reasons Sigil is even around is so that folks from different planes can freely interact with each other in a setting that doesn't instantly obliterate one party of the interaction from existence.

Here you go. These are just the DM ones, but you ARE a DM right?

mega.nz/#!u9YRnTQC!JqSBotWbGAai3_YxJgbxG1WTNahq0uk6HHjzoFpyWmk

Well, you float the idea of burning Action Surge and all his superiority die to land four Pushing Blows at range just to pop an enemy 80 feet into the air (possibly more if your DM is open to extending impetus) and letting him go crunch time on the pavement. See if his eyes sparkle at the thought.

And consider having another party member post a spear on the ground or something at the landing site.

>tfw running a game where the castiest characters are a Paladin who only smites and a Bard who has yet to use anything above level 1
>Remainder is a BM, a Shadow Monk and a Swashbuckler
Feels good

>played a campaign with three Fighters and a Ranger
>Solid Snaked our way through every adventure

what would you boys prefer; battlemaster war cleric, or Eldritch Knight Abj wiz?

war cleric could be fun, i'd like never miss with guided strike and precision attack. go variant human and grab GWM at level 1, by level 3 you can probably land a GWM attack on any halfway decent roll.

Eknight would be fun because he could literally never die, constantly got an arcane ward up + absorb elements or shield whenever I actually get hit. Handful of nuke Evo spells as well for damage

would probably do Fighter 6/War Cleric 14 and Fighter 6/ Abj Wiz 14

>planning for 20

my group uses accelerated xp, but no the character is more planned for the 6-8 range

neither will ever get near 20, probably 12~ max