/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General: Xenos-Killing Flashlights Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk. The Roleplaying game.

Book Repositories (If you're planning o downloading any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory.)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Previous Thread:

is it possible for a Sister of Battle to marry?

They're all married. To the Emperor.
If one happens to retire, or maybe some Order Famulous thing, then yeah, they don't take vows of chastity or anything like that.

Yes, they marry once and become a bride of the Emperor. Any other thoughts for other men and they'd be betraying their vows to Him.

So, to answer your question, no. No nooky with other men.

Is it just me or is the Culexus Assassin in Enemies Beyond a bit weaker than what it should be?

Despite the assrape that is being fisted by it's fist, it doesn't have the Swift/Lightning Attack talents and the Arcane Eye doesn't have the Sanctified and/or Daemonbane qualities meaning Daemons still have their daemonically-enhanced TB to resist the attack.

weren't brides of the emperor a heretical thing by vandire?

You think those traditions simply vanished? They became Sister's of Battle without removing any of their traditions or arcane rituals. Reformed from bodyguard to fighting force for the Church.

Use the stat block in RT: Navis Primer pg 117

We've had a Rogue Trader marry one but that was a special case.

We saved the survivors of a decimated detachment of sisters sent to recover some relic, recovered the relic ourselves, then ferried both the sisters and the relic to their shrine world base.

Once there the RT asked for the hand of one of the survivors in marriage and the Canoness Superior decided that:
a) she already lost many sisters so losing one more from among the handful of survivors the RT saved does not make that much of a difference
b) having a fanatical follower in the bed of a powerful Rogue Trader is not that bad of a deal

The RT was very religious so even though there were some initial tensions (she made him throw away the stuffed dark eldar wych from his office) it was a happy marriage and they've had a dozen children.

One problem for the rest of the crew was that there was a hot blooded positive feedback loop between them. The RT could get overzealous all on his own so having his wife egg him on on top of that made it very hard to propose courses of action which did not involve slaughtering the enemies of the Emperor.

Truly the God-Emperor smiles on that union!

Depends on the source.

What about space marines?

SoBs wouldn't make good wives in the first place, not for rogue traders nor for anyone.

The average female noble a rogue trader would marry is an augmented sex expert experienced in running an estate, interested in expanding it and prepared to give her children a crash course in surviving in the cutthroat world of noble politics. A Sob knows nothing and cares nothing about pleasing her man running his household or raising children. He couldn't even bring her to a fancy party because she would embarrass him by eating the space fish with the space fruit pork.

It sounds like you're confusing Rogue Traders with planetary Govenors. Think of them more as sanctioned Pirates that only does pirating stuff as long as it's in the name of the God-Emperor of mankind.

Their ship is their estate, their "politics" often end in having their Arch-Militant killing whomever is in there way. If the Rogue Trader is going to a posh party, it's only because his retinue is going through the rest of the house, stealing whatever isn't nailed down. Think "Inquisitor" except he has even more money, far less restrictions, and way, way more mobile.

Depends on the source. Most sources have them celibate without mentionning an interdiction.
One of the Ciaphas Cain books has a canoness in an affair with the schola's director, and Inquisitor Vail comments that despite the commonly held belief that sisters are forbidden from having sexual relationships, they don't actually take celibacy vows.
Also there are refences to (non sororitas) concubines for high-ecclesiarchy members in the fluff, so the Ecclesiarchy may take more from protestantism or early catholism than from post council of Nicaea (get the reference?) church.

One big problem is that sisters are forbidden from owning anything. They belong to their order. So marriage may be impossible in that regard. It doesn't prevent them from having a partner, though.

>this is my fleshlight
>there are many like it, but this one is by far the toothiest

>Their ship is their estate, their "politics" often end in having their Arch-Militant killing whomever is in there way.

what about all the dynastic holdings in the background? most rogue traders probably don't even keep their spouses and children around, they stay behind being normal asshole nobles

In the Catholic Church nuns and sisters are a different thing with different vows. The latter have simpler vows and could even leave the convent and marry, though it's very rare.

t. man with nun and sister aunts

>most rogue traders
Most? Where are you getting that from?

Every bit of lore that I've read about Rogue Traders say that they all have a warrent of trade that allows them to go where ever, do whatever, as long as they explore, spread the religion, and/or crush xenos in the name of the Imperium of Man (and most take full advantage of that because it comes with a free ship!). Now, they might in their later years retire of all of that, then yeah they might need a bride of worthy repute, but a SoB is a good wife for an adventuring Rogue Trader that has a zealous love for the big E.

Alright boys, I'm of a mind to get rich in DHe1. Not 'Rank 5 noble look at my 750 throne/month income' rich, not 'Can afford Best Craft Power Armour' rich, but 'Carelessly dropping 10mil on a shiny new Guncutter. I needed a personal launch for my starship' rich. I want the first billion to be a good start.

I know Ascension and especially RT's acquisition system is geared more toward this kind of wealth but I'd like to actually bridge the gap between counting thrones and influence/PF levels of wealth in more detail than
>We're spent a bunch of XP so we're moving to Ascension. You now have 40 influence.
We'll probably move into PF eventually just to spare us all some bean counting but I think having spent the time actually building up companies and interests will make that 40 PF feel much more meaningful than 40% chance to Acquire ExRare item X.

I think it could lead into interesting RP things long term too. I'm planning for my wealth to be 'real' in that it's actually legitimate and not just made of assets seized under Inquisitorial authority; then using the businesses I own as covers for inquisitorial work and the money I make to pursue inquisitorial interests. Sort of like hiding in plain sight but more hiding on a raised platform with a laser light-show.

Think RT's PF system to represent our buying power, including trying to set up trade routes and the like to increase it, but without the freedom of the Warrant to leave the Imperium, generally not give a fuck, etc. And from DH, working for the Inquisition, the power dynamics as you move from being an acolyte/interrogator doing what you're told into a peer of your former master trying to do what you can to keep the Imperium safe.

Rate my insanity.

Black Crusade

the fluff is explicit in there being dynasties at the back of established rogue traders, sometimes even working to undermine him, and the fluff has captains corresponding with their heirs by letters, meaning they don't just carry everything they own and their family around like space nomads

a rogue trader tends to have vast resources back in imperial space, it's just that they're not there to administer them in person, hence why a spouse competent at running this sort of thing is useful

Kek

Almost all rogue traders come from a large dynasty, either on the rise or failing.

There are cases of people of great note getting a warrant but they are usually already well off. Like a admiral of a crusade fleet branch or an inquisitor that has worked their way past eisinhorn status.

Not all warrants of trade are made the same. Some are loosely constrained, others limited to individual dynasties, yet more in certain regions or so long as specific activities are continued.

And that was not the point of the original post we were discussing.

So myself an a bunch of my mates from the military are going to start playing Only War. Someone had the genius (read: shit) idea of us playing ourselves.

Obviously this is going to turn into a party of Mary Sues, with our comrades being the guys from the unit we fucking hate with all their negative aspects dialed up to fucking ten.

How do I convince them that this is a really bad idea

Have them fight tyranids first game, no survivors.

People are less likely to play themselves again if they die like a chump

Excellent idea.

I'll volunteer to be GM, and I'll give them a sliver of a hope of surviving just so they think that it was actually possible to "win" the session but they just fucked up.

A session to reach the last shuttle off the planet should do it and for bonus points I'll see if I can make them compromise their Mary Sueness by giving them the opportunity to give their seats to refugees. Even if they do- which they won't- they are going to die anyway

I'm going to be running a Deathwatch game soon.

Is there any reason why the Deathwatch Errata gives the Storm Bolter a higher ROF than the standard Bolter? It even lets the firer score more hits than the Heavy Bolter, and the Storm Bolter doesn't have the special ammo drawbacks the Heavy Bolter has either.

I've previously run Rogue Trader and the Storm Bolter already proved itself to be disgustingly good there, setting the RoF to SA will probably help but I can easily see SMs regularly hitting the 8 DoS needed, especially against hordes. I take it setting the RoF to 3 like the regular bolter wouldn't appreciably change the balance, or would that be a terrible idea for some reason I'm overlooking.

Another thing I've noticed is that Witch Bolts seem like they'll render any powerful psychic or demonic enemy a joke, for what seems like not much requisition, and the errata hasn't changed them at all.

>heavily injured troops make it to the void dock
>ship bay doors open
>genestealer in rogue trader garb enters will thrall crew
>in space no one can hear their screams

A) different weapon designed for space marines instead of normal people

B) death watch teams can run into gaggles of psykers, even multiple alpha level ones. Just up the chaff low band psykers or switch to black crusade and dark heresy sorcery

>Is there any reason why the Deathwatch Errata gives the Storm Bolter a higher ROF than the standard Bolter?
Because it fires a shit ton more bullets than a standard Bolter? It's a double barreled spray and pray weapon after all.

I'm only taking about the Astartes Bolters. The Pre Errata Stats give them the same RoF. The Errata stats give the Astartes Storm Bolter a higher RoF than the regular Astartes Bolter.

That's handled by the storm trait, which lets it hit twice for each hit rolled. The Bolter can hit a maximum of 3 times, the Storm Bolter can hit a maximum of 4 times, doubling to give you 8 hits.

I might have a slot in a mid level Deathwatch game soon. Rank 4, 40-ish renown. We play on Saturdays, beginning on midday and go on for about 4-5 hours every weekend.

Ideally searching for a well organised and responsive individual as a lot of game related chat happens in our Skype convo, which is rather lively even between games.

Creativity, inventiveness and ability to roleplay beyond the archetype of a post human killing machine is highly desirable as the game includes subplots concerning chapter specific lore and secrets and is rather lore heavy.
Current lineup includes lib, assault, tactical and potentially a techie.
For those who remember short storytimes showcasing party ineptitude so, it's the one with Brother Arkio who are a harlequin, which might give you a rough idea what's the campaign is like.
Drop me a line if you're interested or have any questions @gmail: walter.gorkamorka

>(she made him throw away the stuffed dark eldar wych from his office)

Have fun with it so they want to play another session but ultimately Bring in exagerated stereotypes from the military like making the PDF the same as the ANA or the Iraqi Army, right down to the Slaanesh level deviancy

Bring in real life inter-corps rivalries, like a nearby artillery regiment being full of big dumb violent meat heads, or a vox-unit being full of nerds that your regiment has fun teasing and bullying (opposed strength tests on giving them wedgies, anyone?).

Without copying them exactly, make some of the NPCs have the same mannerisms as people you know irl, except surprise your party by making them act out of character when SHTF (the stern CSM suddenly has more important things to do when you're facing down an Ork horde but the weird cunt medic who never talks to anyone and always reads kindle books IRL risks his life to retake and man a heavy weapon position). By doing this you can also guarantee TPK by getting them to place total trust and total reliance in the avatar of someone who's extremely competent in real life only to have him run away or get instagibbed by the enemy.

Ultimately give them the chance to have fun for a session or two, let them explore some avenues, but then have them killed off so your party can move on with their adventures

It is, though. Not all warrants even relate to dynasties, or are connected to one.

You could just try and have a good time instead of being a passive-aggressive arsehat? I mean if isn't fun then you can just tell them "guys I don't think this is working" and work it out. If you railroad their deaths you'll just be that GM.

I agree with this poster.
Seriously, it's possible to make self-inserts work out. Give fun a chance, don't be the guy that set fire to the house and say "it would have happened anyways" afterwards.
Common character creation with points and vetos should prevent any sueness.

If you still want to crash that plane and give them one single chance to redeem themselves, make them play each other.

Couple of questions:

-Voice or Text? (I prefer the latter but can work with the former)
-What timezone?
-Have room (and XP) for Mariachiwings (Deathwing Vets in the First Founding book if the reference is unclear)?

Memento of a repulsed dark eldar raid and a serviceable coat rack, though the taxidermy was shoddy in places, particularly around the shotgun wound which did her in.

The RT wanted a wife who wouldn't do heretical stuff behind his back like half of Imperial noblewomen would, could accompany him on his expeditions without squeamishness, and would make sure his children are brought up in appropriate piety and zeal.

And the form-fitting corset PA was just a perk, I imagine.

Funnily enough the Rogue Trader had to sign a document saying he would return the armour in the event of his wife's death, since the Canoness Superior absolutely refused to sell it.

Sorry, should have mentioned
- Voice
- GMT
- All splats are allowed and you get approx. 18k XP to spend at chargen

Newbish RT GM here. It says the Missionary gets Pure Faith as their Special Ability. It also lists Pure Faith in their starting talents. Is this the authors factoring that into the starting talent? Should the Missionary count both separately and so they get a free Talented (One Skill) as per the rules of character creation?

sets of power armor are relics onto themselves you know

It's redundant. Pure Faith is a Talent that only Missionaries can get as from their special ability. It's listed in their starting talents as well for redundancy, but doesn't give them a free Talented.

The free talented is mainly due to duplicate talents that you might pick up during the Origin path. It's quite powerful, so I'd suggest that in the case where they have a chance to pick a choice of talents, of which one of which is a duplicate, you make them take the other. Even if that means going back and picking the other option if the previous point they picked it up gave them a choice.

any details on where to contact you or getting involved?

They are still in production in many forge worlds, so it's possible for a SoB to be issued a brand-new armor.
If anything, I suppose novices would mainly get those, since they aren't prized relics with a glorious record.

I imagine it would go roughly like any computer I've bought.
Day 1
>I'm gonna take care of you and polish you all day and you'll never get dirty, so you can be a resplendent beacon of The Emperor's Neverending Glory.
Day 28
>The canoness gave me a purity seal to put on my armor after I shoot that Genestealer Alpha.
Day 30
>That tyranid acid spit just won't go away
Day 42
>This pouch isn't standart, but it's perfect to hold my spare mags.
Day 77
>Inscribing personal litanies on the trims because Uvvar IX was hell.
Day 83
>I don't even have time to redo the paint job between two purges.
Day 122
>Grizzled veteran look achieved. Power Armor looks like it was made during the Great Crusade and has seen only war since.

In all cases , warrants lead to dynasty.

Just because someone is just given one, does not mean it is not the start of a brand new dynasty.

watched ghost in the shell innocence recently and I'm wondering if I could fluff a tech priest so his appearance could be less typical as mech and more like an android/mannequin

Is it possible in fluff to do this?

I don't think sob power armor has the same care and importance put into it like marines do, not to mention the whole spirit thing

In titanicus the appointed mechanicus pr techpriest was designed to be very human-like in appearance, I'd say you can do it

Storm bolters put out a ridiculous amount of ammo, by all known lore.
It really isn't a problem, especially since it doesn't hit as hard with errata, but it makes it worthwhile to take, especially with terminator armor.

Playing my first Only War game. Squad as a Heavy, Weapons Spec., Psyker, and Medic.
Base stats including regiment boons/etc. are:
WS:35
BS:42
S:28
T: 38
A: 34
Int: 34
Per: 29
WP: 32
Fel: 34

What should I roll up /tg?

I'd say heavy, get a +5 T at start for more sweet dr.

Heavy with 28 Strength?

If he had a bit more agi or per I'd have said weapon spec

Well a Sgt or Commissar would make the group well rounded.

However, ive always wanted to play a Wep spec that uses a chemelioline cloak to get close with a flamer. Also they'd have a hightened senses characteristic, such as sound or touch so they could sense the movements of enemies.

Also all my characters end up with an unusual charactersitic, this one has the ability to cause 'blowouts' in closed rooms and does structural damage to a building with a flamer.

I also planned to make the character rank high in navigation. Could plan ambushes and travel over difficult terrain.

What type of regiment is it? If there's a vehicle in it, be an Enginseer or Operator.

Is he gonna operate operatically?

We're Cadian so i was thinking Operator to handle a Chimera and I was also considering Sergeant as well to make the group well rounded.

Has anyone got any idea on what sort of stats a Force Hammer should have in Deathwatch. I have a player that really wants one.

I was thinking either 2d10+2 I, Pen 2, Force, Concussive, Unwieldy. Or maybe 1d10+5 with everything else the same.

1d10+4 if one handed, but you can 2 hand it for 1d10+9.

Either of those could work then, yeah.

Well a good driver CAN make his vehicle sing...

compare power sword and force sword, figure out the ratio of power disparity between the two.
then throw it out of the window because once lib channels WP target just evaporates.
gg

Dude, take better care of your computer. The machine spirits are not satisfied by your lack of care for them.
>This coming from the guy whose computer has failed and been repaired with new parts so many times, it's been officially dubbed the Blue Beetle.

Hi im an RT and i want powerclaws because they seem to be objectivly the best close combat weapon.

The only rules ive been able to find for them are in DW.

Lightning ClawMelee1d10+6E 8 Power Field, Special (+1dmg / DoS), Tearing 30kg30 or 45Distinguished

However i was told that they are in one of the RT suppliment books.

Care to help a RT out by posting the rules?

Faith and Coin.

Check the combined armory in the OP, it's a great spreadsheet that has everything.

Not Desktop of Theseus?

You ever read Eisenhorn?

That's the nickname. (And yes, over about 2 years, it's gotten every last part replaced at one time or another. Including mobo and case)

This.

Thanks for pointing that out user.

hey guys, my dm wants to run dark heresy and i've never played it before. are psykers good in the system? i've heard that eventually if you play a psyker you WILL just die because you accidentally blew up your own head and that's fine, i wanna do cool psionics stuff

Yes and yes, unless you're playing DH2e. It's a lot harder to die in 2nd edition.

Please read up on what psykers actually are. They, along with Tech-Priests are the most fluff-intensive roles to play.

im familiar with 40k lore but ive never played dark heresy so i figured i asked before i made the equivalent of a d&d monk or something

First of all, are you playing DH 1e or 2e?

2e

>They, along with Tech-Priests are the most fluff-intensive roles to play.

No one has ever played a tech-priest that wasn't a joke with cogs.

Read up on the psyker section part in the book and on Lexicanum then. If you still are set on playing a psyker, then read through the entire psychic powers section.

Does becoming horrifically depressed and semi-alcoholic after losing your True Flesh and being restored to your healthy fleshy body via heretical means count? Cause that's what happened to my one Techpriest character to date.

Later he died while shooting the party psyker-turned-daemonhost full of hot lead and promethium

Yes, absolutely. I've pretty much got an entire sect of Tech-Priests that perfect the "Holy Human form" in the Machine. I.e, they have implants and cybernetics that make them look like Greek and Roman statues of antiquity and other perfect ideals of the human form. Makes a nice contrast with the more overt inhumanity and disturbingness of typical Tech-priests.

>so his appearance could be less typical
Define "typical". They really can look like anything. I remember there being a tech-adept who's body was a perfect replica of a healthy man's body but it was made entirely of silver. He even had a realistic facial body language replication, sounds to imitate normal breathing and all kinds of other shit.
>Is it possible in fluff to do this?
You could make the character a Mechanicus diplomat. someone who was chosen and build to better interact with non augmented people than your average tech priest

Factor of the Lathes, by DH1 terms.

Storytime, or too late?

So /wh40krpg/, I have an entire free weekend for once because I'm off Saturday for some odd reason and dh2e game was canceled Sunday. I have two batches of plans, both of which I've already done significant work on but will be focusing several hours towards this weekend and may wind up rewriting a bit. I've separated the batches into two posts as they're different characters and both have entirely different hurdles to deal with.

Firstly
>plan for my blinded, heavily damaged, fateless Heretek to get far away from anything resembling combat until he can be healed, because for some reason despite being a gentle nudge away from death he has been right next to combat for several sessions
>plan for him to get healed and repaired and reoutfitted. assuming the warband cannot get their hands on his old gear for one reason or another he'll need new stuff
>write up a requisition list, primary stuff being to repair and improve him, secondary to replace whatever he needs replacing, tertiary being information tools and other useful doodads.

For this first set of three, I could use suggestions of things to look up from various non-DH2e sources as well as oddball things to look up in DH2e that might have been skimmed over (the latter is unlikely as I've been reading and re-reading much lately). Ideas on how a recently blinded person might act and navigate an area they've seen before but didn't memorize would be handy. As well as how a tech-priest (Heretek or no) would function blinded if it takes a when I go to upgrade something. Oh, and ideas on improving ocular implants assuming they function approximately like regular human eyes as I don't know if I'll get any bonus features.

Secondly
>plot for the Heretek's eventual demise, as if he so much as gets grazed he's permadead though if he survives the immediate future he may live for a while yet
>build next character, new information and realizations have somewhat forced me to change my original build plan for this, but they're for the better I think
>obtain art for this next character, as I will certainly use him sooner or later

The second set of three I could use mood music (anything darker, slower, either sardonic or introspective, Disturbed's The Sound of Silence cover was the first thing I found that fit, and Voltaire and Godsmack both added to this), various alternate "Jedi" designs for inspiration, Imperial Navy ideas, a good picture of Imperial Guard Flak (worn or not) for reference, old soldier type art for reference, and cultural ideas for Hrax. The character himself is going to be Feudal (Hrax)/Imperial Navy/Mystic, Sanctioned via houseruled purchasing rule, Sanctic focused psycker with plenty of minor powers. Entirely Jedi flavored, even to the point of going by the Jedi Code and being in a militant monk sword focused psycker order that was homebrewed by the GM.

Pic related in the first is my current character, pic related in the second is the basis for how my second will look and has significant influence on his personality.

Will he have a little twerp running around pretending to be him?

Psykers range from damned good to ungodly broken depending on certain iterations. Perils of the Warp are indeed a thing to watch out for though.

Are any of the Raven Guard signature psyker powers any good? That one which gives everyone in the bubble a surprise half action seems pretty interesting, but its range is so damn short.

Also, does your group allow librarians from successor chapters to use their progenitor's signature spells, even though First Founding says you're not allowed? We think it's pretty ok.

So I'm about to run a DH 2nd game next week. Are there any good fan campaigns or adventures online? Any suggestions on how an intro mission should go too?

Any ideas on what an ossefactor's stats should be? On the tabletop it's 24" assault 1 AP2 with Fleshbane. As a bonus, if a non-vehicle model dies, the rest of his unit must now take d6 AP- hits with Ignores Cover, the strength is equal to the toughness of the model that died as his bones shoot out and kill everyone nearby.

Look into Dark Heresy: The Lathe Worlds expansion book. Techpriest Factors are kind of like this. They're the least autistic of techpriests who are chosen to interact with Imperium nobility and other important members of Imperial society.

How difficult do you think it would be for FFG to translate 1e's alternate career ranks and elite advances to 2e elite advances?

Some are, like some bolt pistols. There's billions of suits out there though and not every one of them is a storied relic of the distant past. Some are INSPECTED BY TECHPREIST #14 - 322 M.41

>Also, does your group allow librarians from successor chapters to use their progenitor's signature spells, even though First Founding says you're not allowed?
Yeah, I really don't see why not, unless the chapter has REALLY strayed far from it's founding legion's roots.

Most effective way to play a blank in DH2? 10k xp.