Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Skaven Are Adorable Edition.

Remember to ignore or report shitposters and off-topic discussion.

Previous thread: >1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3EIkvHD7MU8
lustria-online.com/threads/the-8e-lizardmen-handbook-updated-november-2nd-2014.13130/
lustria-online.com/threads/caneghems-review-of-the-lizardmen.12415/
youtube.com/watch?v=c3cgYvmqVEE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alright i went through the book, and Epidemus counts as monstrous cavalry

why the fuck are marauders WS4
thats rank-n-file elf tier
speaking of elves
asrai qt

So I want to get into Skaven for 9th Age.
Is this a good place to start?

Also, where can I buy square bases?

barbarians fight to the death since something like 6 years old. they start at WS4 'cos for them slaughtering something is like saying good morning.

So, /whfb/ what are you currently working on?

>Is this a good place to start?
Better ask this in AoS general.

seems cheap-ish, but imho plague monks are one of the ugliest models in 8th Ed., so I wouldn't pick this. but that's a matter of preference, I reckon

go away slav

>I love space marines sooo much

Vlad did nothing wrong

Somebody had to show those invaders who was boss.

I thought you meant "ask in AoS thread 'cos WHFB is dead". you should be clearer next time.

i concur, Vlad is awesome

is it retarded to headcanon that Chaos connects multiple universes, especially those that have their own Chaos? i want to start a Moorcock-styled chaos army, complete with Moorcock names and stuff, but I need a reason for them to be in Hammerverse

My extremis Chamber for 9th :)

Not a lot models to paint and pretty strong.

I'm asking this to get into Fantasy, specifically 9th.

Not AoS. Hence me also asking about square bases.

I'd buy from another company, but nobody really makes good Skaven.

I don't mind them so much, I'm just looking at minimum numbers of purchases. If that's actually a good place to start building an army on. I looked over the Heraldry book, and figure if that is a good buy I'd make a Clan Septik army around them.

boy they're flying off the shelves!

Eh, technically the Empire outside Sylvania wasn't doing bad in rule and him weakening it was a pretty bad thing given the fact the single location where the entire world can be destroyed at once was in it.

He also sired Konrad and Mannfred, who were massive fuckups that ruined everything for everyone.

>is it retarded to headcanon that Chaos connects multiple universes
No, that was originally canon. It still is given the End Times 40k cameos.
>especially those that have their own Chaos?
No, its the same Chaos in every universe. The Khorne of Fantasy is the same exact Khorne in 40k, Blood Bowl, and Age.
The Warp is a place where time has no meaning, connected to every reality. But due to the clusterfuck insane nature of Chaos, their stories can be told with linear time and they behave entirely different in different universes.

Its all handwaved bullshit that frustratingly just gives writers cheap plot devices and conveniences, but whatever.

Go here

/totalwarofficial

there will be "a big video" at 11 AM BST ( so in 1h and 40 minutes ) probably some chaos campaign gameplay

Anyway, what's the best way to make war paints on a giant? I tought about a mix of celtic and tribal pattern

giants don't paint themself, depending on who painted him, choose the according theme.

Greenskins: greenskin symbolism
Ogres: your tyrants sigils to mark him as property
Chaos: whatever god he serves symbolic

eBay should have lots of squares lying around. Also any recaster worth their salt will sell them.

I feel very sorry for the lawyer user that bought those.
No matter how rich you are and don't care about the price, those are objectively bad models. And not only they are poorly sculpted, they also are monopose and in the case of the smaller dudes, only two different sculpts. This will be the most clonic army ever in any wargame.
Nobody that is mentally healthy can look at that and say "I love my army".

>implying he actually bought them

He was a redshirt living with his rich lawyer daddy

>I'm asking this to get into Fantasy, specifically 9th
Nope you are asking about AoS army.

>not doing bad
indeed
>emperor a pussy whimp
>elector counts all but civil-warring
>regular citizens' lives complete shit, with taxes, oppression, repressions, bandits, lazy

I meant completely different universes, not Warhammer universes. Moorcock's multiverse got it's own Chaos (which GW fucked up copying), and I want to headcanon that they are connected, and remnants of defeated Chaos army from one of Moorcock's worlds got carried away by their Chaos God into Hammerverse.

it's the slav, don't reply, just report him

Slaanesh giants can totally paint themselves. art is slaanesh's purview

Your greenstuff skill must be inexistant

I'm starting WFB with Lizardmen after having played WAB, mostly because the models are fucking lizards riding bigger lizards.

How do they play? Is there a similar faction in 40k in terms of rules & style?

Okay, in da previous thread some user expressed interest in my (work-in-progress) Vermintide tabletop rules, so here they are

BASIC RULES
Turn consists of Movement, Magic, Shooting and Melee phases.
No Charge, just move into melee range (1" by default) and you can attack.
You can only shoot, attack or block in a given turn. You can shoot in melee and into melee, and even out of melee, if LoS is clear.
Movement/attacking are limited. Each turn, you can either:
1) Move up to twice your M and not attack.
2) Move up to your M and make attacks up to your A.
3) Stay in place and make attacks up to twice your A.
4) Move up to your M and block.
5) Attack up to your A and block.
6) Use a healing kit.

Blocking grants you bonus Armor Save against attacks made from the front. If you pass an Armor Save against a melee attack, you can push a target, allowing to take only a "half-action" (i.e. only move up to M / attack up to A / block) next turn.
Armor Save value and whether ranged attacks are affected depends on what you wield.

To be continued...

KERILLIAN
M5 WS6 BS6 S2 T2 W3 A3
Kerillian can make attacks up to her A after moving twice her M, or take attacks up to twice her A after moving her M.

VICTOR SALTZPYRE
M4 WS5 BS4 S3 T3 W3 A2
Saltpyre can always make a single extra pistol shot per turn, no matter how much he moved/attacked/blocked this turn.

BARDIN GOREKKSON
M4 WS4 BS5 S4 T4 W4 A2
Bardin gains +1T on the turn he attacks for twice his A or is blocking.

SIENNA FUEGONASUS
M4 WS2 BS3 S2 T3 W3 A1

MARKUS KRUBER
M4 WS4 BS3 S4 T3 W4 A2

I have no idea what special ability of Markus should be, nor have I thought how magic should work.

Stats are not designed to be compatible with actual WHFB, just look the same.

To be continued...

youtu.be/3EIkvHD7MU8

WEAPONS (small sample)
Multiple Shots do not inflict to hit penalty.
Power Attack - trade 2A attacks for a single powerful attack/shot.

Asrai Daggers - +1A, Killing Blow
power attack: 2 hits, +1S, Armor Piercing (1)

Trueshot - S3, Killing Blow, +1BS, Multiple Shots (attacks)
power attack: hits automatically, ArP(6)

Crossbow - +1BS, Killing Blow, ArP(3), S5

Pistol - ArP(3), S5
Brace(s) of Pistols - ArP(3), S5, Multiple Shots (attacks)

Rapier - ArP(1), KB, +1A
power attack - ArP(2), KB, +1 to hit

Ammo is a thing, not sure about number yet.
I'm not sure about range, must decide on map size first.
WSvsWS probably will scale like SvsT
ArP is useful, as Armor Saves will be as high as 2+ (on stormvermin)

To be continued later...

Pretty nice

>What happens when a man have bad tastes and too much money on his hands?
This. This happens.

You are better off with buying multiple start collecting boxes imo. Get two, then you have a solid hammer, your choice of Bell/Furnace or both (ebay the one you don't need/want), and two cannons. Get four, and you basically have a pestilence army, an extra bell, two extra cannons, and probably got one box for free after you ebay away two bells.

Depends, there are various styles. You can build them like a stronger version of a Nidzilla army, that's the closest 40k comparison imo, but that's just one way to do them. Actually, horde of skinks are similar to horde of termagants as well, tho better, so I'd say they are the closest to nids.

Not sure if you could use this comparison though, as FB is a very different game, being a shooty army here is almost as rare as being melee in 40k (probably only Wood Elves, some Dwarf and High Elves lists are the only ones predominantly shooty).

Not gonna write up an essay on lizards, basically they have limited but quite strong core, the most versatile magic phase, decent shooting, strong leadership and as you'd expect, lots of monsters. Probably the only territory they are lacking is movement, but their flyers are alright and can compensate for that. 1d4chan Lizardmen tactics article is a good starting point, but take things there with a grain of salt. If you are new to the game, I'd go this route to get acquainted with the army:

-Small rulebook rules section, the first hundred pages or so (good portion of it is filler, don't let it scare you, really isn't that much)
-Lizardmen army book
-lustria-online.com/threads/the-8e-lizardmen-handbook-updated-november-2nd-2014.13130/
-lustria-online.com/threads/caneghems-review-of-the-lizardmen.12415/
-watch some miniwargaming battle reports featuring lizards, this was a particularly fun one: youtube.com/watch?v=c3cgYvmqVEE

Kholek seems a bit small actually

Glueing Dwarf Thunderers. I bought them off ebay and when they got here someone had painted odd bits here and there. Hands on weapons, beards, bits of chainmail. Still on the sprue, without undercoating. Really strange.

Watch a battle episode in the Vikings, they are doing exactly that, with shields up tho, and they are fine. Probably not too pleasant for the front ogres but they've seen worse I'd bet.

>What happens when a man have good tastes and too much money on his hands?

Nothing, that's why WHFB is dead.

they literally made Warmahordes seem cheap and fine-taste in comparison

Nice, so GW 'retired' all the good value battalion boxes, now you basically don't have a good starter bundle for anything but VC, WoC, daemons and skaven. Oh, and they killed two factions.

I mean I have never ordered from china before because of moral reasons, but they are basically begging me to do it. I will, the only issue is that I'll get my models half-third price, what a pity, but I'll try to live with that.

>never ordered from china before because of moral reasons
so your morals tell you "let chinese children starve"? helping the poor is more moral than giving money to big companies. be a good samaritan and buy some chinese stuff

although, apparently there'll be more Start Collecting, Bitch! boxes coming, though nobody knows when

In Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, would it work to have players add some 4X strategy elements? Like, running and inn or become traders?
Would this work lore-wise?

as long as the inn is burned down by a rampaging band of orcs, and the caravan horses all suddenly turn into chaos spawn, why not?

Well, newt week Start Collecting Flesh eater is out : 3 Horrors, 10 ghouls, 1 Terrogheist

wow, that's fucking ugly. so monopose and the pose is awkward
Reaper dragon sculptors are laughing their asses off looking at this, probably

Good point.

The ones with the money are laughing, and guess who got the money with those stardrake selling by 3 to 5 around the world ?

Great, another fucking VC bundle. Wonder if we will saw the 6th or 7th before the first elven bundle comes out.

Clone Wars: the Attack of the Derpgons

>$140 models
>monopose

Top kek. At this point just buy an action figure for half the cost.

meh, although i'm no big fan of Terrorgheist, I can't find a good replacement model, and I sorta need 3 vargheists, but the GW ghouls are disgusting in my opinion, so I'm not buying that

Because cost is an issue since when ? each of those models costed £250 to paint.

We are not all slavs. And you guys still wonder why WHFB is dead.

How exactly is Ogre Charge supposed to work. I can imagine that the Ogres in the back ranks slam into the Ogres in the front ranks but how are the Ogres in front not hurt from that and isn't there a point where the Ogres in front just absorb all the force from the Ogres in the back.

I'm not sure if you want Pestilens, but it can work.

I get my square bases from recasters by the pound, but wood ones might be cheaper. The fact that skaven horde so much might make wood better so that you can make some multibases.

>costed
>We are not all slavs.

You certainly are buddy

Not a bad value, around the skitarii-lizardmen levels of savings, provided you can use all the models in there.

Still, they need new bundles for races that don't have them badly, not the third one for a race that already has two.

It's basically a meat avalanche in my mind.

That and it's a balance thing to give bonuses to bigger units I suppose.

That being said, I prefer 9th's method of ogre charge for logic, but for game play it is a tossup. 9th is to discourage hiding characters in the second rank, 8th is to encourage attempting long charges.

We know why GW killed it.

They raised the prices, made rule changes that alienated many and made you need more models to play in a desperate desire for profit. So people refused to support a game that was getting more expensive and less fun at the same time.

Won't stop pathetic GW asskissers blaming the customers instead of GW being incompetent though.

Why does a model need multiple poses?
If something makes a person happy with their money, who are you to criticize them?
It's fine if you don't like it but it just seems funny that you're upset about what a person buys.
Nearly all models made by GW are monopose so why pick on the star drake?

Thing is, even before those packs, VC already sold much more than all those army you want new boxes from...

Just want to say I'm happy to see that the Generals are still kept alive. I'm starting to get back into TT and my collective group were crushed to find out that Warhammer Fantasy has ended. Hopefully they continue it or bring back support in the future.

>Nearly all models made by GW

...Oh child...

>Why does a model need multiple poses?
To have great variability in case there could be multiple of them, like the extremis chamber suggests, it can also be used as indicator for the attention put into making of the kit and it opens easy ways to fix problems someone may personally see in the kit, objectively making it a better kit.
>If something makes a person happy with their money, who are you to criticize them?
Not him, but someone who disagrees? He's free to do so and to advance his reasoning (optional but recommended); freedom of thought and expression goes both ways.
>It's fine if you don't like it but it just seems funny that you're upset about what a person buys.
Humans are for the most part sympathetic beings and naturally find strange disagreement, should the disagreement not see logic basis deficit in thought processes will be presumed.
>Nearly all models made by GW are monopose so why pick on the star drake?
I believe it is because of its association with the dracoth cavalry who are clearly the worst offender in this case, but the star dragon costs more; GW passed a period in which it produced good multipart plastic kits with numerous variants, a good deal of customers entered or got consolidated into the hobby due to them, the return to more pose-rigid models has been in fact criticized especially when it happens for infantry models or models that could see multiple of them anyway.

Sure all those 80's and 90' metal models were soooo poseable.

Meant

>>Nearly all models made by GW are monpose

>should the disagreement not see logic basis deficit in thought processes will be presumed.
My brain farted and forgot a bit here
...an action that sees an use of resources caused by presumed deficits will be seen as a waste, independently from whether it affects them personally.

The discussion was plastic kits, nice try moving the goalposts though.

this absoulutely disgusting

THEY ALL LOOK FUCKING IDENTICAL

could he not of atleast attempted to repose ONE considering he has 5 of them

If he likes them as is, what's it to you?

Most of the plastic kits GW have produced over the years were extremely posable. It's only in the last few years they've moved to producing ultra-detailed monopose plastic kits.

Would you be willing to play against a daemon army that was on 25mm square bases (for the infantry)? In a tournament?

It seems to me that using bigger bases fo r infantry would be a disadvantage.

Chaos lord on manticore - monopose
Mortis engine - monopose
Hydra - monopose
Carnosaur - monopose

Every horse model, one or two poses max

Zombie dragon - monopose
Stegadon - monopose
High elf on dragon - monopose

Why are you guys angry that one dragon model is monopose when you let it slide on everything else?

>If something makes a person happy with their money, who are you to criticize them?
what a babby argument

how about, the same reason anyone ever is criticized for doing retarded shit?

>Nearly all Age of Sigmar models made by GW are monopose so why pick on the star drake?*

fixed that for ya buddy :^)

>If he likes them as is, what's it to you?
it looks shit and they're being posted on a public image board - do you not understand the context we're in or something?

he probably doesn't like them as is, he's just too retarded to repose them and concedes to the monopose.

>could he not of atleast attempted to repose ONE considering he has 5 of them

Meet the new target audience for GW.

They are not for hobbyists anymore, they want to be the magic the gathering of wargaming. I mean you think that guy painted those drakes himself?

Because marauders.
Fuck you.
Have a good day.

List composition was always essentially the same thing as deck building so now sure why you think this is new

Can you guys please STOP. REPLYING. TO. SLAV. goddammit?

I know this is an opinions heavy question, but what do you feel is the best edition of Warhammer Fantasy?

I can assure you that I'm an American

unless you mean a Native American, nothing stops you from being a slav. America is a melting pot of nations.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that other people shouldn't like it, not everything is made for everybody

>manticore
universally recognized as shit

>mortis engine
rare model

>hydra
rare model

>carnosaur
rare model, visibly different rider

>every horse model
unit uniformity, the recent kits have different details on them, the older are that, old

>zombie dragon
rare

>stegadon
visibly different howdah, weapons and heads

>high elf dragon
rare and visibly different riders

the stardrake instead features in the formations and in that army too in multiples, the pose is peculiar enough to not be seen as the "normal" pose the unit could be seen as and the rider is overshadowed by the dragon, making that little difference non visible

Only talking about modern warhammer

From the fluff viewpoint: 6th
By the crunch: 7th base
Best balance by far, though rng is a factor: 8th

Now you're just being dumb

If you're not Anglo, you're just a hyphenated-American.

6th and 9th, but that's my imho

6th and 7th for aesthetic
for gameplay

>rare

From which shit hole do you come from again ? All big VC units are basically staples

>Unit uniformity

Well stormcast are so coordinated they even can coordinate their mounts, what's the problem Mexican?

All of those have visibly different riders.

As does the Stardrake, both in terms of the rider's weapons and armor

>and the rider is overshadowed by the dragon, making that little difference non visible

It would be unit uniformity if the dragons were either flying orderly or standing still, they are all tripping on a piece of scenery.

>staples
point me to a single case of there being more than a couple of said models.

>visibly

Just ignore the mewling GW bootlickers, they are not worth your time.

If 25 mm is the same or bigger than the default bases, sure. If they are smaller, no (balance issues).

7th, but with VC and Daemons using their 6e rulebooks. Great balance, fluffy lists around.

Perhaps I'd bring back from 6th having rank bonus from 4 models instead of 5, so that 16 model units are viable again.