MTG lore: The Flakening Flaketh Edition

PREVIOUSLY ON THE FLAKE THREAD:

Recolored jace lady. People got pissy and forgot the first rule of flakes. Why aren't YOU on Innistrad? Myr Myr Myr Myr. DIOMEDES. NEW FLAKE SHEET HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT. Something something Vronak is too sexy for his shirt DESU. ZIX FOR KIX. Cromat-chan desu desu. New scarecrow walker.

Writefagging:
Symon and Zix Anna and Symon preview Gaia and Will Previous Thread:
FLAKE DRINKING GAME.
>If it's two color, do a shot. If it's three, do two shots instead. If it's four color, domain or colorless, do three shots instead.
>If it's not human, do a shot.
>If you think that the snowflake is off-color, do a shot for every color you think it's gotten wrong.
>If you think that the snowflake shouldn't be able to possess a spark, do three shots.
>If the snowflake associates with important lore figures, do a shot for each important associate.
>If the snowflake fractures the lore in some fashion, do a shot for each lore break.
>If the snowflake is unglued, ignore all previous rules but make sure that bottle's empty by the end of night.
>If it's your own flake, do 3 shots, wait 20 minutes, and then make another flake. Post the results.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/QJr90dgZ
youtube.com/watch?v=eqOsE8HRZJQ
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/planeswalkers-guide-part-2-2012-04-18
youtube.com/watch?v=TXCUenE0b5A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rolled 39 (1d110)

ROLLIN FOR DRINKS

TIME TO TAKE A SHOT.

I, DIOMEDES, will post a story tonight when I'm off work.

DO IT. FOR THE GLORY OF FLAKES EVERYWHERE.

>tfw you had wall scrolls of the grandest hero of all Iroa's patrons on your disciple quarter's wall back home.

WHEN WILL I MEET MY TEENAGE CRUSH

The next time you attend a backstage meeting with one direction.

Diomedes could fight one direction, I think.

Which flakes would make the best villains?

With his "spear".

the myr one

Vontrask, Kixdle, Vronak, Irriad, Jakrol, Kinrakar, Thyranno, or Gwendolyn.

>no coldbrass

>no Belloski

Nope.

Reposting the lengthy bit of writefaggotry I did last thread: a battle between Symon and Belloski, as determined by the dice gods. It was an interesting project, I think I could improve how I write and resolve fights with practice. Would love any feedback! Also looking to see what other matchups people would possibly want to see.

Here you go:
pastebin.com/QJr90dgZ

With his spear, and then his sword and shield, and at last his fists till nothing remains but GLORY!

Belloshi doesn't strike me as a villain, at least not in the traditional context with flakes since he has a kindness to them. Though that could be an interesting story of some monster who conquers a plane, yet is completely cordial and outright friendly to the people who traditionally want to kill him on account of being equals. Belloski could be some Faustian monster of some plane, yet invites planewalkers to lavish dinners when they come to stop this 'devil in disguise'

What's Sem's sheet?

Is it "not done" to post a flake from the previous storm?

No idea. Some have, and some said not to do it.

I mean, if its yours maybe, but not if you've made like 8

They don't get added, because the person making the sheet thinks it should be new flakes only period end of story

WAKE UP FLAKE THREAD

YOU'RE DRUNK

>tfw Anna is getting more sassy the more I write about her.
>Must be all that red mana
He has a good point.

Hurry up! I wanna read about my other ship!

Not really. It's completely arbitrary - someone decided NO OLD FLAKES and that was that.

Well the person who makes the sheet, you are more than welcomed to post your old flake I'm sure.
It's just the person who goes through the trouble of making the sheet won't add them and as the person who makes the joke sheets I appreciate that.

So do we roll for it? Because I'm doing the other sheet and I might get alcohol poisoning if I have to drink for each one.

Roll for it.

You're free to post a flake from the old snowstorm, just don't expect me to add it to the new snowstorm. I started a new one so new content could be made rather than rehashing old stuff.

Nothing wrong with posting old ones, I just won't be doing anything with them.

On a scale of 1-Flake, how Flake is your flake?

Pretty Flake.

Neet-monk/Flake

COCK/10

Did someone mention one of my flakes?

Don't you die on me

OW THE EDGE

You know, I asked if that was the case when I posted him, and I was pleasantly surprised. Despite everything, you seem to be in the minority for once. He literally just exists to be neutral evil on a list of flakes where the R/B representation didn't have that brand of cruelty.

WAKE UP FLAKE THREAD
youtube.com/watch?v=eqOsE8HRZJQ

THIS THREAD ISN'T ALLOWED TO DIE

DIOMEDES DEMANDS IT.

It is way late man, but I'll be ready with a story tomorrow.

DO IT.

I'll do my best to keep the thread alive until then. Maybe I'll finish writing some shit too. Spawn interest and all.

Rolled 55, 77 = 132 (2d110)

Rollin for ships

So is anyone going to writefag tonight?

Does someone want me to writefag something? I can.

Sure I guess
I don't know what kind of prompt, but any sort of writefaggotry would be good

I'll do something before I go to bed tonight then. I'm gaia fag so I'll probably just continue one of my other stories to keep the thread rolling. Until glorious DIOMEDES can take over.

Well, why don't you do a short story with some of the less popular snowflakes? That way they can all get their moment in the spotlight

Sure. Throw one my way.

Well, let's see:
>Trouble-maker that made a cult about herself and get turned into a demoness.
>Knight that went crazy when he was tortured by Old Phyrexia and became a murdershit.
>Werewolf lord from Innistrad that got turned into a wolfir and is angry about it.
>Bloodthirsty minotaur that believes he's a god and slaughters heathens wherever he goes.
>Paranoid mercenary always looking out for numero uno and lets her emotions guide her.
>Ancient Therosian warlord that refused to be bound by the Underworld conquering planes.

All but one of those are pretty assholey. Murdock's the only BR you can't pigeon-hole into the 'evil' category.

When I posted him there, there were half as many flakes of the color. Jakrol was the first one down in that color combination that was literally just obsessed with inflicting harm on others.

Ehh, I'm not actually too sure which ones are the less noticed flakes, other than Frances because I made him

What about the slaughter-happy Irriad that exists just to maim and mutilate people? He was a pretty early one.

All you need to do is look at the list, check names and see if those names are commonly mentioned in any of these threads.

>Kill everything
>Bring suffering to everything

I mean, they're pretty close concepts, and Jakrol admittedly isn't likely to leave many or any survivors. I guess it's just a difference in style or approach?

Yeah, kinda this.
I'm pleasantly surprised to see a couple of mine get mentioned every now and then (Cala and Jakrol), but on the other hand Remes gets mentioned never. There are a lot of U/B flakes, and he's Dimir, so he's not the kind of person that's likely to appear in your story unless your story is "there's an important artifact" and he's trying to steal it out from under everyone's nose.

What non black flakes are evil?

Immubruo seeks to drown all land beneath the sea wherever he goes.
Vontrask is an insane artificer that turns people into artifact creatures.
Kixlde is a queen of goblins that treats her own people sadistically and engages in killing sprees.
Chillbrass is a dickhead assassin, also Unglued so that might not count.
Frances is utterly mad and controlled by his paranoia, which might lead him to evil acts.
Makayel considers New Phyrexia to be a good thing and seeks to spread it wherever he goes.
Sheng could be seen as villainous and evil for carving out a planar empire that is entirely loyal to him.
Emile's an Eldrazi-themed walker with a lot of mental issues, she probably qualifies for evil.

So honestly? Not that many. Most evil snowflakes have at least a dash of black and many of the above should probably have black somewhere in there.

Some of those don't even make sense.

Does Symon have any enchantment destruction?

Problem-Solving: -
“Yeah… DIOMEDES has been this way.” Selenra muttered under her breath, the line of ogre, goblin and human corpses lining the boulevard was a dead giveaway. Oh, sure, it could have been a particularly zealous and efficient Wojek patrol, but something about seeing a series of variously sized corpses all with similarly sized, spear shaped holes through their chests stunk of the hoplite’s work, she had come to learn. The man loved to fight, that much was abundant, and if honourable duel wasn’t an option, then slaughtering ne’erdowells seemed to be the next best alternative. Sighing softly, Selenra quickly came to the conclusion that there would be no training session this morning. The Rakdos slaughterfest had put an end to that. And then DIOMEDES had evidently put an end to it, in turn. Oh well, there were always other things to do.

Iron-shod boots slammed into the ground with a clatter and a rattle, Wojek patrolmen in their heavy armour, swords drawn, rounding a corner and emerging on the disaster-zone that was Aramis Boulevard, seeing Selenra, stood at one side of the road, rather listlessly milling about at a turtle’s pace, and a string of corpses behind. Deciding not to give them the opportunity to misinterpret the situation, she simply pointed a gauntleted finger down the road and announced. “They went that way.”

Luckily, the Wojeks seemed to accept the direction at face value, storming past in a flurry of steel, disappearing at the end of the boulevard and turning the corner out of sight once more, leaving Selenra to mull her plans for the day over in silence. But in truth, there was only ever one choice. She was going to make something. She stepped back into the forge at which she had ‘apprenticed’ to a Vedalken artificer, comfortable in the knowledge that she far outstripped the man’s own craftsmanship, but eager to get access to tools. She had already antagonised her new master on several occasions by setting hammer to steel in the early hours of the morning. What she had benefitted from, however, was his knowledge of Izzet steelworking techniques, in particular the use of more complicated machinery and enchantments.

She’d never taken to the cogwork of her home town of Pailano, but she’d admired the delicacy and the intricacy of it, the fine detail and minute precision required to keep these incredibly complicated devices in order, and to learn anything that seemed related to such a delightful technical skill made her happy, and kept her content to maintain the title of ‘apprentice’. She’d already, in the space of 3 days, began to draw attention from a variety of guildsmen and commoners alike for her work - a fact she took for granted these days, and which delighted Anas the smith, for whom she was working.

Today was to be another frustrating morning for the man, however. The Rakdos rioting would certainly have stirred him from his slumber, but any hopes of returning to sleep would soon be scuppered, as Selenra ignited the forge, beginning to stoke the coals, stepping on the bellows to blast air through the furnace, until the fire roared, crackling ferociously as Selenra went through Anases’ supply, fishing out some of his enchanted Izzet steel. He’d never said it outright, but she was quite certain the stuff cost an arm and a leg. Luckily, when Selenra was done with it, it sold for two of each.
DIOMEDES laughed, his voice booming out down the alleyway. “AHAHA! You were fools to think you could stop I, DIOMEDES!” He declared over the last of the ogre corpses, the run-down shack littered with them, black blood still frothing viscously as it bubbled out of the deep wounds his spear had left in them. “Fine work, well done!” He congratulated himself, laying the shaft of his spear across his shoulder and sauntering away, whistling a merry tune. The Wojeks stormed past him a minute later, several of them giving him wary glances as they passed, but the Boros around these parts knew DIOMEDES by name and reputation by now, and, supposedly, standing orders not to try and arrest him, which was for the best, really. He continued to get peculiar looks as citizens noted his bloodied weapon, but as usual, he was given a wide berth.

Selenra glanced up from the anvil, seeing DIOMEDES, covered in blood, step in. She considered commenting on it, but she’d learned by now that this was normal. “Need something!?” She shouted out over the blasting gusts of air and hammer strikes of herself and Anas as he stepped around her, setting his own hammer to work on the metal shafts he was forming in preparation of assembling a gate. Not the kind of work Selenra had any interest in sullying her hands with, her Izzet steel… Admittedly, didn’t look terribly different, yet, since she was turning the bar into heavy, moulded javelins. She had every intention of buying the steel from Anas, because she had enjoyed the incredibly simplicity of this work, and could feel the power resonate within them.

This one was the fourth, and last she was working on. As DIOMEDES eyes lingered on her hammer blows, she paused, crouching down to pick one up from where she had carelessly left them at her feet. Passing it over to Diomedes, the plain, dark grey rod, sharpened to a vicious point glimmering dully in the furnace light. “Try that out.” She instructed him. “I set up some targets out back, don’t use it on a person.” DIOMEDES took it wordlessly, mesmerised by the smith’s enthusiasm as she returned to hammering out her last shaft.

He lingered for a long moment, before stepping out of the forge, marching around behind the building where a pair of round, straw-stuffed targets had been set up against the wall, as promised. The javelin weighed virtually nothing in his hand. He enjoyed handling the artificer’s work, it always surprised and startled, defying expectations in some way. He raised his hand above his shoulder, crouching very slightly and winding his arm back, preparing to pin the javelin to the center of the target. His arm span, the Javelin took to the air, and DIOMEDES eyes widened in surprise, as the length immediately erupted into flame, roaring through the air with an ephemeral howl, the piercing sound shooting through his ears and resounding through his skull. Passersby on the road just yards away clamped hands to their skulls and cried out in discomfort, and then with a horrific blast, the target exploded, stone shrapnel dislodging and flying outwards from the wall behind. A hail of stone fragments clattered against DIOMEDES raised shield as he hunched down behind it, glancing up when the sound died down and the wave of heat finished rushing past.

Both targets were gone, and through the newly formed hole in the wall, DIOMEDES could clearly see the forge, Anas and Selenra both staring, awestruck across the debris at his bemused face.

“Uh… Whoops.” Selenra muttered, and the vedalken’s head spun to glare at her. DIOMEDES laughed, and Selenra splayed her leather-clad palms apologetically. “Take it out of my pay.” She offered. “Successful test, though, Dio? You can uh, keep that one. If you can find it in the rubble.”

They're snowflakes, why do you expect some of them to make sense?

Because the Cursemute was completely voluntary.

Where in the lore is that, because I wrote Ivander without knowing about it. I thought it was just "Bam, the werewolf curse is no longer a curse. You can be wolfir if you want, but you don't have to change anymore" At least that's the impression I got from the flavor articles back when Avacyn Restored came out.

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/planeswalkers-guide-part-2-2012-04-18

>Avacyn's message was short and simple. She could not break the curse of lycanthropy, she said. The curse mingles the human spirit with the spirit of the wild, and the wild spirit could not be destroyed without also destroying the werewolf 's humanity. So those afflicted with the curse would forever have it. However, Avacyn offered the Gatstaf werewolves a special place at her side. If they promised to serve as guardians of humanity, she would transform their curse, fusing the two warring aspects into a single noble creature, and allowing them to dwell in the light of her blessing. The lycanthropes at the Grotto that day cried for joy and accepted her offer, and she transformed them into the wolfir. In a powerful wave of spells that would become known as the cursemute, Avacyn's magic spread through the plane, transforming not just many werewolves but many of the world's foul curses. The wolfir emerged as a new race of great wolf-creatures dedicated to the principles of the Church of Avacyn.

>It is not known whether any werewolves still exist on Innistrad, but some, perhaps many, might have escaped destruction by slayers and rejected Avacyn's eldritch transformation into wolfir. It was theorized that other lands beyond the great seas harbored exotic species of lycanthropes, and it has been speculated that some werewolves of the known world have fled for those far regions.

Okay, that was Gastaf wolves only then, according to that. I'll have to edit Ivander a bit then, but his backstory still kind of works.

And only the ones that swore to defend humanity, aka only the willing ones.

I remember somewhere about some werewolves instead choosing to fuck off to parts unknown
here it is from planeswalkers guide to Avacyn Restored
Avacyn's message was short and simple. She could not break the curse of lycanthropy, she said. The curse mingles the human spirit with the spirit of the wild, and the wild spirit could not be destroyed without also destroying the werewolf 's humanity. So those afflicted with the curse would forever have it. However, Avacyn offered the Gatstaf werewolves a special place at her side. If they promised to serve as guardians of humanity, she would transform their curse, fusing the two warring aspects into a single noble creature, and allowing them to dwell in the light of her blessing. The lycanthropes at the Grotto that day cried for joy and accepted her offer, and she transformed them into the wolfir. In a powerful wave of spells that would become known as the cursemute, Avacyn's magic spread through the plane, transforming not just many werewolves but many of the world's foul curses. The wolfir emerged as a new race of great wolf-creatures dedicated to the principles of the Church of Avacyn.
It is not known whether any werewolves still exist on Innistrad, but some, perhaps many, might have escaped destruction by slayers and rejected Avacyn's eldritch transformation into wolfir. It was theorized that other lands beyond the great seas harbored exotic species of lycanthropes, and it has been speculated that some werewolves of the known world have fled for those far regions.

>Sure, if by protect you mean kill
>gets stuck as a wolfir
>FUCK

I changed a couple lines of dialogue, but basically Ivander was like
>"Hey, angelic blessing, that sounds nicewAIT WHAT THE FUCK"

Forgot pic, I'm a dumb

I want to make another flake, but we already hit the 110 mark, so I want to wait until the next storm, but I also want to keep this one going.

I know that feel.
I feel bad having made seven walkers this storm, even if one of them isn't in the sheet yet.

We should wait until this one's died down
At least as an act of courtesy
The desire is too addicting though

Expect the next one to be either Q4 of this year or next year.

Really, there's nothing wrong with adding to this one. Either let it run out of steam naturally or contribute to it. Don't waste time sitting and stewing on ideas for six months.

>feels good when I've only made 3 flakes

What one isn't on there?

>Six months
Jesus, seriously?

What's his personality? What kind of activity might he be engaging in? I needz inspiration.

The last one died off in October. So yeah. Expect this shit to die out for a long time if it does die out.

youtube.com/watch?v=TXCUenE0b5A
literally what inspired me to make him

I made three. I'm literally working on another one right now.
I don't think I can stop.

No wonder there's so damn many already.

When did the last one start? When was the first one?
HOW DEEP DOES THE RABBIT HOLE GO???
I've been lurking on character art threads for good pics for potential flakes. I'm tempted to make a flake based off of two of my fetishes but I feel like it'll be completely obvious
also his paper thing

He sounds really petulant from that.

Do what I did, plan out a specific cycle from the start. Decide what colors, races or classes you want to explore and go through with it and then be satisfied with the result when you're done.

Nothing wrong with doing more than one if you stop after the planned amount.

The last one was August through to October 2015.

That's fucking hilarious.

This is my first snowstorm and I literally just get inspired by character art, then go from there.

It's no wonder that at least of my flakes is goofy as hell, since I made them on such whims.

Yo niggah, if you want Frances to get sum luvin' you should start a writefagging yourself.

It's a good exercise and you can be sure that his personality will be right.

Or just keep mentioning him as available for being storytimed about.

Yeah, that too. He sounds cool, but you should be the one initiating the dialog about him, not others.

The reason why all these other flakes are getting the spotlight is because their creators started posting shit about them and storytiming.

A flavor question that might help with some writefagging on my end...

What do you guys imagine actually happens when a "you win the game" effect goes off?

Depends on the win con
>Bringing an enemy's health to 0
either death or weakening
>Mill
Exhaustion, memory wipe or worse
>Alternate wincon
several different things
>Triskaidekaphobia
Player with 13 health goes mad and scampers off probably to die in 13 minutes with 13 knives, swords, spears, forks, hooks, and eight other tools or objects in their back
>40+ HP victory
Your vitality forces the enemy to escape probably
>Legal The Cheese Stands ALone
The entire battlefield is barren, leaving you alone
etc.

You do something that causes the other walker to have to fuck off or die.

>Felidar Sovereign overwhelms your opponents with its raging masculinity.