WIP Painting - Converting - Sculpting General

A warm cuppa in hand, as I upload 44mb PNG's edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.co.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw [Open]

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iJvpwHU7jKU&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=58
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo
imgur.com/a/ylIls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've decided to try and do 4 projects at once, to slowly chip away at my backlog. Deathwatch box, zombies, 6 assassin conversions, and blood pact. I immediately regretted it.

First 5 Blood Pact done. Painting a Mechanicus Onager as a Pact stalk-tank next.

Below is 2 deathwatch. Plus one Vindicare conversion, and 1 Kayvaan Shrike conversion. All WIP.

Below that is zombicide zombies (first 4 of 50...), and genestealer cultist WIPs. I'm going to use the Abherrant heads on some cultists (the one with an unpainted head). Going to deeply shade the back of the abherrant head purple like its going to to pop.

Gonna throw this back up. Just finished basing this dwarf character. I'm pretty pleased with how the base turned out, but I was originally planning on doing lava bases for my dwarfs. Now that I have so little base real estate on the HQ, I'm thinking the lava effect might be hard to pull off. Do you think black ash piling up among the stones would look better than lava for this guy?

Liking the Blood Pact - reading through the Gaunt's Ghosts books at the moment and I'm considering building the Gereon 12 as a killteam

Where are the masks/heads from?

Blood pact guys and Deathwatch looks good, coloration on the Vindicare looks weird but it could be the lighting. Like the Shrike, but I think he could be a little fancier. Zombies look good, the guy on the left especially. Not sure about the big head on the 4th gen hybrid, it looks a little out of proportion.

you're going to change the bases on the zombies, yeah?

Current state of my 9 armed gangly limbed CSM Daemon Prince of Tzeentch based on the Ushabti (w/ Great Weapons) Tomb Kings kit. He is my 3rd DP, while the other 2 hail from Codex: Chaos Daemons.
I am currently finishing/updating the weapon on the Anubis' one and then I will start Green Stuffing the limbs on the Asp one after that.
The bird one is about 60% painted, but I am halting on that until these other 2 are caught up. Might as well do them all together.

you should freehand some brain lines onto the abherrant.

ACK ACK ACK

And here are my notes on the Dark Tongue from the "Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned" book from 1989.
I will incorporate some of these amongst the "scribbles" on the hanging ribbons on the DPs.

>bane mask
>bigger guy than the others

here's your 4U

I've started working on my Patriarch. Nowhere near done yet with the red, or the flesh on the other parts, only head-flesh is sorta done.

any thoughts?

Looking good. What's the scheme look like finished?

I'd go with ash. It's still fluffy for AoS, and otherwise you're looking at like .1 percent of the base being lava.

Your Blood Pact look like a Heist Crew

Purple-blue skin, with highlighted red edges.

not the most imaginative, but it works.

the first one is a really trimmed down goblins head. the middle 3 are all harlequin masks with greenstuff for the back of the head. the last is a pigiron miniatures head.

yeah i know, i think i might put some sanguinary guard wings on the Shrike and paint them black, or shades of grey.

Would this be any good for clear coating (protective coat) models? Or is it more just for protecting art on paper types?

Definitely dont do lave, itll be a pain in the dick going around all the shit you put on the base. But don't do ash, either. Everyone has a fuckin ash-based army. Why not go for something more interesting? A coral theme would be cool and different.

now *that* is some (finecast) flash!

>coral dwarves
That's retarded. Different doesn't mean good.

Dear /wip/, how do I make good mud bases for my Death Guard?

Use real mud.

look into trench bases. secret weapon minaitures got a good tutorial on this.

I also remember somebody using cotton and glue to give the bases some texture, resulting in a very organic look as well.

my wip howling banshee kitbash.

Anyone have advice or vid on doing a base green powerblades. I like the base color in the scheme but don't know how to do powerweapon highlights.

Well, duh.

I'll check out the secretwm stuff, cheers!

at least it's not swiss cheese

Do the Deathwing terminator arms fit on standard terminators as well, or do they not match up properly?

>at least it's not swiss cheese

it cleaned up nicely, yeah.

The mud from GW is good enough, but expensive. You might want to watch Hobbygirl (I think that was her name) lud bases tutorial.

You're thinking of Stirland Mud?

Yes.

Working on malifaux mans with the missus.

Finally getting around to some old metals and I'm putting my recent resser buys together.

helbrute pretty much done, just gonna add some blood effects/splatter on intestines wrapped around gun/bayonet + on the horns

not sure wat do for the base, maybe put a dead cultist torn limb from limb at his feet?

sorry for shit phone pic, kinda dulls colors too

Davy jones pirate dwarves.
>not cool

Get out

it's sounds cool, ur a fag

>Aqautic dorfs covered in barnacles, coral growth and verdigris

Looks sique user. For your bare heads, are you just pooling shade in the eyes instead of painting them in? If so, what's your technique?

>applying secondaries and weapon arms before inking and gold rings
>notice this haply little fucker

>Boy, I sure do love killing people!

I'm stealing that pencil idea for flagstones in the future.

That helbrute looks neato. Is any of that converted, or is it just from the standard helbrute kit?

Female Marine with Boobes out ;)

>Will post finished Figure on my Youtube Channel youtube.com/watch?v=iJvpwHU7jKU&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=58

Symbols with meaning are my fetish.

Should be good (says it protects plastic on the can), but if you have any doubts, test it out on a bit of painted sprue first. I personally use Windsor & Newton sprayable matte varnish after I use brush-on varnish on problem areas (like overhanging feet, or the tops of helmets/heads), if you want another suggestion.

it's all standard except I wrapped a bread tie around the reaper autocannon and colored it red/flesh, once I got over it with blood for the blood god it'll look like stringy viscera

also I had to rip his arms off for a different loadout and the joints didn't survive so I had to greenstuff a bunch of that and it looks not so great compared to wires normally there but meh

Just be careful, some sperglord might get triggered by the boobies.

Her base needs more church

>Should be good (says it protects plastic on the can), but if you have any doubts, test it out on a bit of painted sprue first. I personally use Windsor & Newton sprayable matte varnish after I use brush-on varnish on problem areas (like overhanging feet, or the tops of helmets/heads), if you want another suggestion.
thanks bud

>Symbols with meaning are my fetish.
Hahaha nice!
Here is the current state of my other 2 Daemon Princes of Tzeentch.
Working on the weapon for the Anubis one and doing up both of their bases with sand and bones.

Ooh, nice. What brand are they? Mierce?

>Mierce?
Games Workshop.

They are based from the Tomb Kings Ushabti with Great Weapons cut up and repositioned some and converted with various Tzeentch bits and Reaper wings from a pack of 4.

masturbatory aid, of course.

[Open]
Nigga somebody gotta clean this shit up

Cheers dude, I was pretty happy with it. I found it hard to cut slices thinner than 2.5 mm or so with my razor saw, but using the cheapest pencils I could find probably had something to do with that. A single pencil could easily cover a good 6 or 7 cm square area no problem.

I'm looking to get into miniature wargaming however my artistic ability/dexterity is dogshit and I literally do have dysgraphia. Given the handwriting capability of a 4th grader would it be wise of me to get into this hobby the the goal of being able to paint something at least as good as pic related. Also, how much practice do you think it would take for the average person to model something of this quality. Lastly, I'm thinking of collecting IG so i won't be able to just spray paint some nids.

Whoever designed the GG weapons need to be shot. I just cut off all the fucking hands and made them 1h weapons

Go pick up an adult coloring book from the store. If you can color within the lines, you can easily paint that well. As for modeling something like that, it's a piece of cake--although those exact models aren't sold anymore. IG are pretty straightforward to paint, and the most important IG technique is to drybrush and wash, which requires approximately 0 coordination. If you can control where you put down color you'll be absolutely fine.

>how much practice do you think it would take for the average person to model something of this quality

not much time, honestly. If you do some research (watching/reading tutorials, really; OP has everything a beginner should need, infowise) ahead of actually painting and go in with a desire to learn and improve, you can get to this point and pass it within the span of a month.

Thanks, I like the idea of starting with adult coloring printouts. I wasn't planning on dumping $60 on miniatures just to create a melted faced monstrosity.

Definitely think about watching some of Duncan's videos, they really are a fantastic resource for a miniatures painter.

A really good way of learning to paint is to get one or two metal miniatures (like those you posted) and paint them only to strip the paint off again and again and repaint them. Metal minis because you can simply drop them into acetone or some other killer chemicals to destroy the paint as quickly as possible while with plastic you have to be more careful if you want to strip paint off.

So just get a miniature you like from ebay and a starter set from gw (or preferably from army painter) and try to paint.

People with taste and class are sperglords now?

>taste and class
That's debatable, but if a setting gives you one exclusively male faction in power armor and one exclusively female faction in power armor it's fair to say that any attempts to shove one into the other is pretty redundant.
Especially in a sandbox setting like 40k, which is made to let you do your own thing with a few basic ground rules, two of which are 'no geneseed for females' and 'no men under arms for the ecclesiarchy' bein explicitly part of it.

The reason why most female marine conversion are reviled and/ridiculed are because most people into that just smear to giant blobs of GS onto marines and call them tits and the conversion done.
Which adds another level of failure in execution on a concept that is explicitly against lore and more importantly redundant in the first place.

Whenever I've seen somebody pull off a conversion that was actually decent or original most people just disregarded it as homebrew that didn't interest them and moved on.

>with Boobes out

See if you're going to do something like female marines you might as well go all out. I support this action.

At the risk of way off topic, there's room in certain environments to take the setting and remake it with some of those ground rules revised or thrown out. I also disagree that the existence of the SoB make the idea of female marines redundant.

I play in a 30k 'Deathwatch' game where the gm has thrown out 'no geneseed for females' and genderswapped a fair few of the primarchs, because that restriction doesn't add anything of value to the setting for us. There are male and female marines in all the legions, and other than that everything is business as usual.

Female Muhreen spoilered for sensitive eyes, painting is representative of me at the start of the year, I've made progress since then.

I don't love the idea of Female Marines; but it's far more spergish and crass to go with "tits out chick space marine" than to simply stay true to the setting.

>Nigga somebody gotta clean this shit up

>Citadel Painting Guides:

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:

>Painting Videos only

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>Reinforcements are en route!
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>female blood angels
> female Sanguinius looks little different, still beautiful as always
> red thirst and black rage and just them on their periods

>and just
are just

Much as I hate to admit it, this could actually be way more legit to the setting than Looks pretty Chaosy, and may well be intended to be a mutated Slaaneshi CSM.

That fucking gap above the front knee needs filling though, and if you're going Slaaneshi then why would you have an even number of boobes out?

For the purposes of our setting, Sanguinius is agender and basically looks like pic related, primarchified.

>random dude enters your FLGS while you're there
>wants to play a game with you
>you discover he has a space marine army that's has some second edition plastic Rogue Trader units in his army so it's basically half old half new
>hopefully they're decently painted (not fielding grey plasting and in this case white plastic)
How do you react? Do you hate playing against him? Does it bother you that there's a distinct difference between half of his army to the other newer half? Or would you play with him just fine?

That's basically me and I don't want to bother other people with my army.

If they're all painted, I wouldn't care. I'd actually be very interested in his older models, as you don't really see then around too often anymore

>Does it bother you that there's a distinct difference between half of his army to the other newer half?

No, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Oh, actually I've got the first plastic edition, not the second. Thanks for that.

Oh, cool. Time to get to painting then. I've got a full week off work just to spend time with the missus and to work on my army so I'll be lurking here more often than usual.

>Finally clean up a space to set up my work space
>Start assembling the desk I bought ages ago
>Had to completely re-arrange my room because it was too big for the space I was gonna put it in
>By the end of the assembly, the whole thing is crooked, one of the legs broke off the screws, and the top of the desk is too short
>Turns out I had the entire fucking thing upside down from the start (my father pointed it out to me)
>Flip the whole fucking thing around and put it back together, everything fits semi-perfectly now and it looks better
>Turns out the company jibbed me on two important screws, so I had to move a few other screw around to make up for it
Well, it took like...two hours, and a lot of sweat and frustration, but now I finally have my new desk up and I can get back to working on miniatures.

i think the only thing that bothers people is whether its painted or not. and even then, it depends on the local 'meta' i guess. at my FLGS people run unpainted stuff a lot while theyre testing new things to see whats worth painting first. but then there are people like me who spend a couple hours a night after work painting and watching some TV so i usually field a fully painted list. But most people understand not everyone has that same amount of time.

but using old models with new stuff is cool. it makes your army more original and different.

It's hard to say no to beekees. Every once in a while I'll throw in an RTB-01 if I'm inexplicably down a man, but most of mine are metal.

>beekees

I even gave this modern plastic Space Marine an original Umbra-pattern bolter that I had left over from my own box of RTB-01's.

I need a new paint scheme for my IG, can you guys help me out? Recommend me some schemes!

Kamen Rider or Super Sentai themed

Maybe Shocker

>Sanguinius is agender
BAIT! *Although actually agender is still more logical than trannies.*

Not an issue at all really. Just as long as you aren't feilding "johnnie" and then pointing out every 5 minutes how it's a hilarious model because he's holding his magazine up to his ear. like the cancerous cunt that has to post his pastel red shittily painted blood angel Johnnie every thread as if it's some kinda cool meme or funny joke when in reality its' just shit, shit model, shit paintjob, shit joke. i'm sure most people giggled the first time they saw the johnnie model, but i'm pretty sure most people are getting tired of the autistic that has to bring up "muh johhnie xD 9gag leddit ellele" every fucking thread.

Well, if course you're free to run your campaign with any alterations you wish for any reason you wish, but it's a bit like running a Game of Thrones campaign where everyone's super nice to each other.

Hey calm down haha

gotdang warrior take a knee did johnny rape your family or something

Not really, first of all, I'm going for a space wolves army so different paint scheme (still going to paint them RT space wolves kinda) and they're not the "Johnny" edition so I have nothing like him.

Dude, that's a cool fucking model.

>Dude, that's a cool fucking model.

I agree! Is a "counts as" Chimera with twin autocannons and an HK missile?

WIP, I'm inexperienced with basing models, and there are a few that models that I have that I really want to be special.
How do I into scenic bases? What considerations do you make when planning out a scenic base? How much church is appropriate?

100% church all the time
Consider the theme of your army when thinking about basing, a chaos army might have lava and ash, or dildos, a space wolves army might have ice. just think about the pieces in canon or your own fluff, then think of what specific things in that general design look nice, but not cluttered up

This is going to be a stupid question, but what do you mean by "church"?

Gotta have a church, bro

Bad meme, all you need to know.

Good cuck.

Joke's on you guys, I'm going to add a church to the base of my Imperial Space Marine for scale.

>yfw it's just a giant piece of terrain on a 25mm base

Could always look into something like X-Wing. Tons of players, great game, Star Wars and pre-painted models.

Are you Swedish?

Oh, I appreciate it, thanks. came out a little rough due to the unfamiliarity with the paint I was using, but the next one will be even better

It is a counts-as tauros venator with either a twin-linked multilaser or lascannon and hunter-killer missile. I kept the barrels purposefully vague so I could claim either

here's an ass shot for your time

There's only one autistic person here and it's you! :^)

Tell him what he's won!

Here's my WIP Command Squad Scions with meltaguns.

imgur.com/a/ylIls