Malifaux general

Malifaux general.

What are you playing right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/133323/Malifaux--RULES-ONLY-Handbook--2E
schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/master-spotlight-ten-thunders-misaki/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm painting up my Coletter crew.

Cassandra - red skirt and GREEN corset or red skirt and deep PURPLE courset?
I'm limiting my palette, because I don't like how random-selection many of the showgirl crews I've seen online look, but I'm just not sure which way to go on this one.
I think maybe a dark green might look better, but I'm also working with a pretty shit selection of colours, with GW Goblin Green as my only base green.
The purple would probably be roughly the shade of pic related, but the red much, much brighter. And the colours swapped round.

red and purple famously don't look good together. but red and green are complementary colors. That's just super basic color theory, and there's exceptions to every rule, but if you're working with a limited pallet, it's generally best to go with what works

part way through painting Chompy, I might actually get my dreamer crew finished before I go to a tournament in july

Looking for a nice, easy and cheap way to make a swamp bases for my swampy portion of Neverborn.

Also still I have not idea what color should my Nephilims be.

I'm using Vallejo still water mixed with some brown or green wash for my Gremlins.

Put in some rocks and tall grass before you apply the water and you should be good.

Fair point, cheers.
Not sure why I didn't just look at a colour wheel already...

What've you got still to paint?
Do you drill one model and hten move on, or do the whole lot layer by layer?

Pick one senpai.
Except yellow.

Decide what you want their bases to look like and go from there.

That feel when you make some awesome looking bases but just can't find the right way to paint them.

Puppet guild bro here. Just bought the Puppet wars unstitched box and found a local store has some old puppet wars boosters which contain a Witchling. I fucking want it!

I'm going to use one of the metal snakes and an executioner body to make a peace keeper. Make it sort of turtle with a scratch build harpoon launcher on the back.

i've gotta finish chompy, an insidious madness, a stitched, an alp and Lelu and Lilitu to do.
I like to get a whole model painted up in one go, I get more of a sense of progress out of it.
after my dreamer crews done and if i've got time I want to get lilith and her crew box painted up as well but it's not the end of the world if I don't get it done.

>Pick one senpai.
>Except yellow.
I like yellow but I don't think it'll look good on them.

The ideas that I have:
>dark blue with red eyes
>red
>normal white human skin
>something in-between, like normal skin for Terror Tots and getting darker and more red as they grow bigger.

Also looking at my put together Insidious Madnesses and "Dude, that's a whole different level". I was thinking about a normal skin color but it would look meh with all those teeth, unless they aren't white/boney....

Working on getting through my Resser henchmen. Right now I've got Toshiro, Valedictorian, and Mortimer done, still need Philip, Sebastian, and Sybelle. I'm moving on to Henchmen because I finished my last unpainted master in Seamus.

I recently saw an user here with red nephilim, they looked nice.
i'm pretty partial to just a regular if pale skin tone for nephilim though.
At least with the insidious madness you've basically got free reign to just go for something weird and wacky.
I'm doing mine in three really different schemes (well I would if I could think of something cool for the last one)

Creepy-pale human skin might look pretty good.
Not sure how that would work with the making them darker/lighter based on power level, but I like the idea of that too.
For the insidious madnesses you could either go with internal organ colours - make them look meatier, or a bile-y yellow-green-brown - or like stretched and bruised flesh.

Otherwise blue with red flash sounds prety good.
Skip the classic devil colour scheme though.

I basically have my Pandora crew (+stuff that she likes like Doppleganger and Teddy) on a pavement bases but Nephilims are more "not in the city", at least one of them has a rock on his model.

So I was thinking city for Pandora and more "civilized" stuff, swamp for Zoraida and swampy stuff, something like rocks or desert for Nephilims.

Neverborn are really diverse faction so finding one fitting theme for their bases is really tough.

Fuck, I'm in love.

That'd be me, maybe? Anyway, I think "furry" grey/brown would look nice on them too, or maybe even greyish flesh with celt-style tatoos? They're essentially the indians of Malifaux.

bump

i'm finishing up my metal ramos crew box, joss needs to be painted then i'm set. though now i'm aware i need another box of spiders and another archanist enforcer.

How many spiders does Ramos normally need?

What theme should I use for the bases on my Lynch crew?

I'd probably go wood flooring to look like they're in a bar/poker hall.

Maybe have some booze bottles or tiny playing cards on the floor.

Nothing. My FLGS went under and I can't find a new one. My soul hurts. Please save me from this purgatory.

Working stuff with my girlfriend.

She plays neverborn, obviously doing dreamer at the moment.
And I'm doing ressers right now, just went on a shopping spree so I'm only a few models away from 100% resser stuff.

Where you at sempai?

I like it. Thanks user!

California, western LA area.

If you happen to be near a university check out there. Most have a gaming club and usually allow non student participants.

It might be a bit of a trip but, up here in Ventura county we have like at least two or three FLGS that still are up and running. I haven't really been to them because I mostly do stuff with friends but you could poke around and see if they actually play any malifaux or at least sell it. I figure from where I can only guess you are it's maybe an hour, hour and a half drive?

I use 9/1, but I almost never need more than 6

Willie or metal gamins for Kaeris?

Depends what you need to achieve. If you don't already own some, I'd say get the metal gamin. They're a solid choice for many arcanist lists.

Are you new to malifaux or been playing for a while?

Can't wait for the new masters. I pretty sure the ne arcanist was spoiled recently.

New to 2.0, last I played her she was a henchman, and the very idea of not having a master lead a crew was novel.

His picture was the rules manual PDFs, I think

She was my first in 1.0. I got her box not even knowing she wasn't a leader.

Typically in 2E you want to pick your stuff based on your schemes pretty heavily. So a wide model pool for your faction is pretty preferable.

What do you have to go with her already?

Hyped.

Just her starter. Friend might lend me some showgirls if i ask nice enough.

Ah fresh. Well you'll want stuff that goes well with fire effects and stuff that applies lots of fire.

Oddly the fire gamin can be a less ideal choice because they reduce their butning damage to 0. Meaning Kairis can't heal them. Metal gamin can work better because you can heal them and also they are nicely resiliant.

Rail golem is a no brainer for your heavy beater given it's synergy with fire.

Rail workers are great because they stack additional damage on models with burning. These guys come with mei feng so that gives you another master option.

Arcane emissary gives instinctual I think so that's very useful.

Gunsmiths are always cool too.

After seeing the weird fairy things and finding out the theme was the Fae, I'm a littke disappointed she's not a more creepy fanciful looking character.

I ordered Izamu the armor and Toshiro, The Daimyo

im not really into playing the actual game but i modles looked good and i really miss painting.

Let's see the models and crew first I guess.

Just got those myself too. To round out my ressers though. But I totally agree on how great the models are. Check out the university of transmortis stuff if you like cool shit to paint.

I'm new and don't really keep up but I absolutely love fae stuff. What's the deal with this (potential) master?

She's the new neverborn master from the upcoming fourth book, from what I remember she does stuff with scheme markers

Here's the missus work on her first crew. She's never done basing before and with minimal guidance she came up with this.

The breaking floorboards on chompy will match to her dreamers plain base. A couple of alphabet blocks will be added to tie them both together.

I put my transmortis guys together so nothing photo worthy there.

Just bought Misaki and her crew box The Thunder as my first crew. Any tips for playig Misaki? What units should I think about getting next that go well with her?

Cool, thanks I'll try looking up more info on her.

I'll have to do some searching to find the stuff, but we've seen the playtest cards for the new master, Titania, this lovely lady , we know the theme for her crew is 'fae', and there was a Monday preview with weird blobby skull-faced fairy things.

I had gotten Colette's crewbox because her stuff was my favourite aesthetically so far but I think I may have potentially found a new master.

She works pretty well with any sort of constructs.
You can play her as either ten thunders or arcanist so that might influence what stuff you get next.

Joss seems like a good get for her and if you want something big can add the rail golem, howard langston (a generally very good arcanist beater) and a box of metal gamin should be top of your list.

you're confusing her and mei-feng.
Misaki is the dual faction outcast one

Oh shit my bad, I totally misread the name. I have no practical knowledge of misaki.

Carry on.

complete new guy here, and I was wondering if the hog wild box set would be a good place to start?

Its a little niche compared to the other Gremlin crew boxes. Ulix likes pigs and pig accessories. So if you like pigs, he'd be a good start, but otherwise Sommer, Ophelia, or Mah Tucket would be better starts for Gremlins in general.

Ma's box doesn't work well together.

Gremlins aren't a great place to start, there are triggers all over the place. As someone starting with Gremlins it's putting me off the game having to check every card for their 3 triggers per attack.

whats a good one to start with then?

Guild are pretty good because they tend to be straight forward. Very few triggers and models do pretty much whats written on the card numbers wise.

I'm probably not a good person to ask as I'm debating if I want to find another game to play. I'm finding Malifaux has too many moving parts and I'm not enjoying that much.

Honestly, if you want Gremlins, just go with gremlins. It's silly to spend at least 30$ just to "learn" how to play only to learn the faction you want later.

im not the gremling guy i dont even know if im interesed in this game i just like the modles because thye look cool and are not as expensive as GW shit.

im this guy

An army that you like. Really. Don't worry about mechanical complexity unless you've never played any sort of RPG, board game or wargame before.

A bunch of people are going to try and suggest a bunch mechanically simple masters to you that will bore you to death if you're not enthusiastic about them. You'll learn how to play no matter who you choose. Hell, you'd probably be a better player for it quicker. You'll just have to relearn when you want to do the more complex masters if you go with a simple one because it's "easier".

Pick what you want, paint it, Read up on some strats on PullMyFinger to get a feel for how the master is played, have fun.

gremlin guy here, I love pigs and it seems like there is a lot of pig stuff for gremlins, like the pigapult and gracie. my only reserve is I don't know if Malifaux is played in my area. even if it isn't I probably will still get the pig box just to paint, Wyrd makes some great stuff.

i like you, i will do this

Cool. Enjoy dude. I do really suggest looking at PullMyFinger though if you're going down that route.

A master like Collodi, for example, I imagine would be pretty tricky without that little bit of guidance.

I disagree with this because the card mechanic and cheating adds a massive amount of complexity to the game.

Just that single mechanic without the triggers would add another level of complexity, the triggers makes every model all but a game system into themselves.

And? Not everyone is mentally incapable of handling the idea of having "rerolls" on hand to use, which is what cheating is.

It might take a while to remember all the rules, but it's a case of practice, not the rules and triggers being mentally challenging on a level unattainable by an average human being.

Rerolls are very different from what Malifaux has. You have Rerolls + bonus effects. The complexity there is insane when you take 10 models who can all use those cards for different things.

>The complexity there is insane

I don't know how to say it,but you might be retarded, user.

Or you might be too stupid to understand the complexity. Cheating and triggers when 4 or 5 different models can all use that card to get a trigger is pretty fucking big compared to just rolling a dice or two. It's not "hit if you roll above a 7" it's often 5+ times more complex as to if you cheat or not.

I can see that, but after a little bit you start to learn what triggers/suited actions are the ones you really, really want to go off in a certain situation and others that are merely nice to haves.

>The complexity there is insane
It really isn't. More complex than a vanilla model that can just shoot things, sure but it isn't this deep wormhole that somebody can't learn with that you seem to think it is either. If you're playing models, you just sort of learn what they do. Starting with a simple army that he doesn't like isn't going to fix or change this fact. He's going to learn either way. And probably faster with something that
1. He enjoys and wants to play
2. Makes him take into account all the mechanics of the game
But no. Recommend that he avoids things he spends a whole bunch of money on things he doesn't like so he can not have the drive to paint or play them. That way when he has to relearn everything all over again (Because a massively simple army plays hugely differently than a complex one) to actually play the one he wants to play, he can weep for his lost time and cash.

Can you two stop it with the
>You're stupid!
>No you're stupid!
It's pretty dumb.

Doesn't change the complexity is the problem. It's the same issue I had with Hordes, I have so many options that I don't really want to take any of them. I'd much rather have something like Warmachine where I have fixed resources and only a small set of options. I work better that way because I like to think things through and if I have millions of options then I'm going to end up spending too much time thinking things through rather than actually playing the game.

A Bayou gremlim is the most common model in Gremlins. They have 4 different shooting attacks depending on their flip, reckless and a defense trigger. That's pretty fucking complex for a basic unit if you were just flipping for it, flipping and cheating makes even a simple attack pretty over the top.

And through playing it he will learn the value of cheating and triggers better than he would using a model without. Thereby getting a better understanding than he would playing a model that can only do one thing. In addition to that he actually gets to play something he wants. This will give him the drive to come back to the game, get models, paint models and actually learn. Saves money also. Thank you for adding to my point.

Then Hog Wild would a good start. Biggest thing to watch out for is those boars won't see a lot of use. They are a nice addition, but don't make a good core for Ulix. Good pick ups would be the slop haulers, a few of the large pigs like Gracie and the Sow, and some pigets for his summon ability. That's if you want to go the husbandry route, though. You can run him without it, but he still does better with a few big pigs and slop haulers.

Got my misaki crew assembled and based now, probably gonna try to replace the ears on shang, they look stupid being flames or whatnot.

Hopefully I'll get to painting/priming in two weeks or so.

What would be a good basing scheme for Ramos and Ironsides?

I think a cobblestones/city streets type of basing would probably look pretty good.

Hay look what I got today.

Neat. Mine was a Gremlin of some kind. Not even sure I'll put it together since I play Outcasts.

Are they tournament awards?

Yes.

New tournament kits have mystery boxes. First place is generally a dayglo or transparent crew box.

Just getting into the game, almost finished with my Dreamer/Chompy.

Is there a place to find limited edition models? I'm looking for the tall Teddy and the metal Carver...and can't seem to find them anywhere.

If you're looking for metal models at this point, you're basically going to be stuck with eBay or trading forums. The limited plastics are are either prize support or sold during their online store event sales.

The large mysteryboxes (16 player tournaments) usaully has 3 prices

Rulebook is free:
drivethrurpg.com/product/133323/Malifaux--RULES-ONLY-Handbook--2E
Should probably be mentioned in OP

Finally found them.

Thx. I've been looking for them and couldn't find. They weren't normal preview.

Yeah, they were posted in the forum thread for talk back about the Outcast Emissary.

But see, that's what I was hoping Titania was going to look like, weird creepy Fae.

We probably still need to see a totem and a henchman from the box, it may still have a weird creepy Fea feeling.

That image might or might not be titania, she looks just like the red joker from the old deck.

I thought is was confirmed to be her at one of the conventions?

what's the most chtulhu like- fucked up band?

Pandora or Dreamer. Or Tara I suppose, she literally has a cthulhu...

To repair my error I got you this.

schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/master-spotlight-ten-thunders-misaki/

For 10T, Yamaziko, Sensei Yu, shadow effigy/emissary, Lust, snipers, bros. Misaki is a highly mobile guided missile. She excels at picking models off and gets crazy good if your opponent is light on cards to stop your assassination trigger. Her crew usually ends up supporting her work or being independent and scoring without her.

That should be fine. Ulix likes pigs, so his crew tends to be a bit more self contained than the other gremlin masters. Get pigs, all the pigs, then maybe a taxidermist, pigapult, hog whisperer, Emissary, roosters, and you should be good to go.