>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/46974961/5eg-dd-fifth-edition-general#top

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Illusions edition.

DMs, how have you tricked your players with illusions? Players, how have you done the reverse?

Players are usually overly cautious with illusions. The most extreme use I've seen was giving the impression that their camp had a lot more tents and activity than the three dinky tents it had.

The biggest illusion I've used was giving the impression an old temple's entrance was bricked. Someone decided to investigate the wall and noticed that vines were going through the wall though.

Expanded familiars! In the sense of making familiars do more and be more useful, rather than simply adding more creatures that can be familiars.

What does /5eg/ think? As a quick aside, this is intended for use in a current campaign wherein the DM has ruled that *everyone* has access to the Ritual Caster feat for free, and therefore our entire party has familiars regardless of class. Ergo within the context of that campaign it equally powers up everyone, rather than simply giving those with access to Find Familiar more spell slots.

The primary reason for writing this up is that, becuause everyone in the group has a familiar, I kind of wanted to see if we could have a side-session where our familiars all get up to some kind of sidequest on their own. But by default familiars, particularly ones like bats or frogs, are just so frail and useless as to make that a dangerous proposition. Thus, this.

Hello, rules question.

One of my players crafted a telescope that allows them to see into the ethereal plane (the PCs found a telescope that did the same in a dungeon, and the character copied the design for that). Since ethereal creatures can see through walls and such I've been letting him do that with the telescope too.

Is this OP? Should I have a ghost kill his character and break the scope? I'm worried.

And here's an example of a familiar made using the above rules, for reference.

So I've become interested in creating a setting where shadows are prevelent especially after going back and reading Tome of Magic and the shadow Caster.

Has anyone converted shadowcaster into 5th ed?

So I'm playing a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, unarmed and unarmored. I like to use my environment in attacks so I end up grappling a lot, as well as punching things and moving things around. I don't want to use magic at all, if possible.

I will be playing the character to level 20, should I multiclass into Rogue 1 or 3 for expertise in athletics for better grappling, or should I go straight 20 barbarian for the delicious 24 STR and 24 CON? I'm okay with not being the best at grappling, but if I will be completely useless without the expertise I could consider multi-classing. I generally want the character to be the strongest unarmed fighter, having the strongest and toughest body possible and being a beast in close quarters combat.

TL;DR, Want to punch shit, grapple shit, and be the strongest dwarf ever. Multiclass for expertise, or go 20 barbarian for perfect physical form?

I think you should be able to see the plane, not gain the abilities of the creatures in that plane.

Normal familiars are and should be half utilitarian, half pet. They're also not allowed to attack, see the second paragraph of the spell. Your efforts would be better served by making non-evil alternatives to Imps for chainlocks.

That said, everyone gets them in your game, so bother with the spell and not just give them beastie NPC pals?

Well, like I said, the intent is to make the familiars just a tad more robust so that they could theoretically survive a low-level adventure of their own. Just a little side thing.

>includes cats
>doesn't include dogs

I think you're gonna need more feats. Like tough and tavern brawler and stuff

The original spell doesn't, either.

I have Tavern Brawler right now, without multiclassing I can get to 20 STR and Con with 1 additional feat (either toughness or alert, I think).

>why bother with the spell and not just give them beastie NPC pals?

referenced myself accidentally.

Oh hey, I'm playing a similar character. Went with the Battlerager subclass. I would not recommend multiclassing as a Barb.

Well if you're expanding familiars then add it in, I'm sure your players would appreciate it.

Because most of the beasties in the Monster Manual, like bats and cats, are extremely frail.

Okay...got any stats for a dog that's smaller than a mastiff? First instinct is to use either the hyena or the jackal.

For the record the group's party already has a bat, a spider, a pseudodragon, and an imp. There was a hawk but the character who had that as a familiar wandered off (and was replaced by the one who has the imp).

>First instinct is to use either the hyena or the jackal.
Jackal would be my go-to.

The battlerager seemed interesting, I chose totem to add some beef to our frontline (a ranger, rogue, and cleric who thinks he is a wizard), so I'm always in the thick of it. How is the battlerager treating you?

Plus I secretly want to fly like Nacho Libre and piledrive suckers out of the sky

Battlerager's alright so far. The spiked armor adds a bit more damage to the punching mix, which is good. Barbarians don't use their bonus action much outside of raging on the first round, so that's a plus. I think the real gold of the battlerager lies in the level 6 ability.

Why college of swords is so fucking awful?

Wizards doesn't know how to design martial classes, or pseudo martial classes.

So they're either amazing (rogue, battlemaster) or shit (ranger, most fighters, paladins, and barbarians)

>College of Swords
>Awful
What? You get to use bardic inspiration as superiority die.
The only issue I have on a synergy level is that it pushes dual wielding (due to 2e) while its action economy worked better with dueling.

>Pally
>Barb
>Shit
Nigga, have you even played this game?

Rogues and battlemasters are far from amazing and pallies and barbs are not shit (except for berserkers)

>hating on rogue and battlemaster
>hating on pally and barb
You're both windowlicking theorymancers are you?

>Theorymancer
>Hating on the best damagewise fighter ever, the battlemaster
And you don't know what teorymancer means, in fact, no "theorymancer" could hate paladins either, numbers roll in their favour too

Nice reading comprehension.

I don't hate the damage pallys and barbs do. It's just they kind of fail at doing anything beyond damage. The pally spell list is anemic, and combat almost always boils down to "I hit it, and maybe I smite it"

Barbarians are similar, except they get exhausted after combat.

For those who play dragonborns, what is some of the most useful things to do with your dragon breath?

Kill yourself and make a proper character.

No, but it could easily be made an arcane tradition for Wizards.

nah, fuck that. There are plenty of PrCs for Shadowcaster that can easily be rolled into archetypes.

For instance, The noctumancer was one that a Wizard could take to do dual Arcane/Mysteries but it's main stick was being able to dispel magic and either : A. replenish your use of magic/mysteries or B. make yourself momentarily immune to the spell so you have one.

Then you have Master of Shadows where you have a pet Shadow Elemental that grows and fights along side you and then you can have Shadow Smith

5E Drama Cards when?

I made some. I'm still proofreading them, and reconsidering a few.

Can you upload the completed versions in PNG, packed elsewhere if needed? JPG artefacts are pretty icky.

Yeah, I want to make a printer friendly pdf. One that would be just cut and sleeve (over basic lands or something, to get that nice card stock feel)

I'll export the images into .png then.

Keep us updated, these are really neat and I can't wait to see and potentially use the finished product.

My best illusion wasn't even an illusion. I just had a marker set up as part of a riddle. A section of rock carved out expertly to look like a (rather monotone) chest from a distance. From afar I just described it as a chest, but simply approaching it would quickly show it to be, effectively, a statue they could use to help orient themselves.

Instead of walking up to it, they suddenly got all on edge, firing crossbow bolts (hilariously we had a 1 and a 2 roll before they actually hit it) and the Wizard even wasted some spells before the Barbarian decided to charge with Greatsword drawn, slow half way, then turn and shout "Guys its just a rock."

Any suggestions for non-concentration level 1, 2, and 3 spells for a lore bard? I like crowd control and trickery stuff, but almost all of them require concentration. I'm in a three man party with a battlemaster fighter and a war cleric starting Curse of Strahd soon.

Also, what are some good spells for magical secrets at level 6? I'm looking at Counterspell and maybe Fireball, just for coverage.

1st - Sleep, Dissonant Whispers
2nd - Blindness/Deafness
3rd - Dispel magic, Plant Growth

Counterspell and Fireball are good choices, CS more so than FB.

Really stupid newbie question - character sheets always seem to have a smaller and largeer area for your ability score and ability mod. What's the convention for what goes where, and more importantly... why?

Mod is bigger, because you actually use it.

Illusions hardly ever give away their true nature, only be investigating do you discover they're illusions.

Apply some basic divination stuff to it. I don't remember the exact rules, but look up the spell "Detect Magic" for some ideas on what it can't see through.

Generally speaking, lead always blocks basic divination stuff.

Little = score, big = mod.

You're doing Thard Harr's work, son.

Convince your DM to let you blow a whole feat on Expertise for 1-2 skills. Multiclassing is for the weak. If you have Tavern Brawler and are a Dwarf Barb, you're already going to go far.

Thats not a bad idea, My DM is pretty Lenient. Thanks, user.

Grapple someone, restrain them with grapple feat, spit acid on their face. They will have disadvantage on dex saves.

I never liked that. The modifier is derived from the ability score, so I put the ability score in the big box. Bugs me when I see it the other way around. Very ugly.

Has anyone used mindflayers before? Any advice on how to play them?

Is giving one a shield guardian too much?

That requires taking the Grapple feat, though. Who in their right mind would do that?

Hey I never said I would do that, it was just an idea for dragonborn haha

I only play dwarves so I don't have these kinds of problems.

Breathe Fire/Acid/Cold/whatever onto your weapon to modify its damage? idk

Use Fire or Lightning breath to ignite wooden objects in a room. Just set a whole tavern on fire, or drop chandeliers on people by zapping the ropes. Huff Cold on chains to make them more brittle and shatter them with a melee strike. If you're ever tied up, just barf acid on yourself and eat away the chains or rope. Create thermal shock in metal or stone objects by heating/cooling them to the opposite of your breath weapon and then spitting up all over the place. Carry oil flasks or a big barrel of the shit if you're Fire or Lightning, throw those thigns and ignite. Do the same with water skins if you have Cold. If you're Poison, cough on peoples' food and ask, "Do you want that?" Grapple fuckers, bite their face, and huff concentrated energy down their throat. Complain to the bandits who've just stuck up your group that you're not really in a mood to fight today because you've got a killer toothache and desperately need to see a dentist, see, lean in and look, the gum's all swollen here and I think that's a cavity and HRUAHRAURHAURHAURHARHAGHGHAGHRHARGHRARGH. Buy a metal blowgun and force your breath weapon through a fucking straw to snipe enemies while propelling a dart at Mach 0.5. Join the circus.

If your DM allows half of this.

Do the Zendikar races actually feel underpowered? except for the vampire?

Your DM would 100% allow this if it were a spell but since it's only a quasi-magical physical ability of the race and you're probably Fighter Scum, physics (or at least a certain erroneous interpretation of them) exists only to limit you.

>cast Burning Hands for 3d6 on an object, ask if it can be set on fire
>SURE
>barf Fire on an object for 3d6, ask if it can be set on fire
>MMMM NO
every time

Only one that felt underpowered to me were the goblins.

Martials are U S E F U L

>go to gitp forums
>hoping to read some interesting uses for spells
>find a 17 page thread on minor illusion
>think this will be productive
>it's a 17 page discussion on the physics of minor illusion.

I... I didn't think I would find a forum as autistic as 5eg, but there it is.

How can it be that hard to realize taht minor illusion is a mental effect that has no real world consequences beyond changing the behavior of psychological beings?

but if i make a minor illusion of a watermelon, can i put it five feet in the air? does it fall? at what speed? does the illusion break on the ground? what if there's illusionary ground below it?

As a DM, I would not only allow this, I would give Inspiration for this.

yes
only if you want it to
The speed your character sets it to fall at
only if you want it to
depends on what your character knows about the illusory ground and how it affects what your character wants to do with the illusion.

Isn't minor illusion more like a hologram? Everyone can see the illusion, so if it was mental, that means you are tapping into everyones head to make them see something

Sounds like your DM is a piece of shit.

Not everybody puts up with what you're apparently willing to, user.

Yes.

How are abjuration wizards? The ward seems like a bitch to charge and you don't get the counter spell stuff till level 10

They blow.

I always thought that minor illusion was more like a mirage - a trick of the light to make you see something that's not really there (pic related). Digging around in the head of any and all creatures that can see the object from who knows how far away seems horribly complicated by comparison.

Which are best? Conjuration, Divination, Transmutation, or Necromany (non-rp-wise)

Conjuration is the best for a dip. Minor Conjuration is the best feature in the game, but the rest kind of blow.

Divination is the best overall.

Transmutation and Necromancer are both good, but not the best.

It, and all illusion spells, are literally illusions. Note how they require an Intelligence save to see through; you have to examine what you're seeing and reflect upon what you're looking at to realize something's wrong with it.

This. Will be really cool. Use whispers to your DM when you're doing non-fighter shit if you're using an online interface and use a muted IRC if it's an at-table game.

In general it's kinda fun to be a discrete caster imo. Or to pretend to be something you aren't in general.

I've been pretending to be a mage for the past 13 sessions or so. Shit's fire.

>I approach the kid to see what she's drawing
>Alright, give me an Acrobatics check to see if you can avoid stepping on the drawing.
ffs

I'm mad FOR you, user. Fuck that DM.

>i approach the kid to see what she's drawing
>okay, give me an athletics check to see if you run out of breath

>Perception check to see if you see the drawing.

Roll two d20s. If either of them is greater than a six, reach across the table and slap his dumb ass, because you've beaten his AC with advantage because he's sitting.

>Insight / Investigation check to see if you can figure out what it is

>
>Town guard: "Oy' citizen, 'ave ya seen this man 'ere?" *shows illustration of companion on a wanted poster*
>"Never seen the man."
>DM, coyly: "Roll me a deception check..."

Can't, we're playing through roll20...

>give me a persuasion check to see if you stutter while talking to her.

>tfw the DM starts throwing random perception checks at the party and we have no idea what we're missing but when someone succeeds...
>you notice a rat scurry across the hall

>gonna need a Survival check to see if you've remembered to breathe this whole time

>Wisdom saving throw to avoid staring at her sweet, youthful, bent-over bum

Throwing random checks at the party for seemingly no reason is a good idea, though. It keeps them off their game for when the DM actually IS trying to gauge whether they see a trap or something, because they're so used to it now it doesn't even register.

If you've got a DM who never asks for checks unless something's up, the moment he asks for one, a savvy party knows they need to slow the fuck down and INCIDENTALLY start casting Detect Magic and tapping the floor with a 10 foot pole while staring at the walls and ceiling very intently.

Not illegal in D&D.

>Failed save
>Anime nosebleed
>Roll medicine to stop

>nat 1 medicine
>give yourself aids somehow

>Constitution saving throw to resist erection

>Deception check to begin grooming her

>Persuasion check to invite her into the back of your carriage

XD

I want to make a kobold Booker T. Washington. I want my main goals to be the liberation of kobolds from dragonkind, and their enlightenment so they can live together with the civilized races.
However, I want him to realize that, even after educating his kin, cutting deals with local towns to accept them, and fighting for their rights, one of the biggest threats to kobolds progressing as Kurtulmak would want is kobolds themselves- those who refuse to learn to be better, and live life as raiders. And since he's better at fighting than teaching how to farm, he would destroy these rogue groups and warrens and salvage who he could to teach them better ways.
Is this too edgy?