Weekend Quest Discussion Thread: Brave New World edition

This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)
Reminder that we have our own brand new board now! All quests should be posted there:
>QM
Why are you not using /qst/?

Other urls found in this thread:

desustorage.org/qa/search/text/quests /tg//type/op/
pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why are you not using /qst/?

Because it's awful.

A good question for a faggot like OP.

>Reminder that we have our own brand new board now! All quests should be posted there:
Get out.

>QM
Because it's a trial board. We are under no obligation to "contain ourselves" at the behest of a loud, salty minority just yet, and until a mod tells me otherwise I will continue with business as usual.

I also don't want the mods to mistake resignation on my part or the part of other QMs for enthusiasm.

All that false flagging, delightful. Fuck off.

Also anti-quest posts in quests are being removed. Mods are actively pursuing shitposters telling people to go to /qst/.

>Mods are actively pursuing posters who don't want their board being shitted up by questfags who autistically refuse to leave.

>their board
Where does one go to buy Veeky Forums shares? I have some spare investment money lying around.

Spin it however you like to fit your ignorant narrative.

Anti-quest posters are having their posts removed.

Why is it the QTGs are always made by anti-quest posters?

Because its an abortion of a board, and vocal minorities should not have everything handed to them by bitch-ass mods.

Almost all of the quests have moved over there. The only ones that are still on Veeky Forums right now are bottom-of-the-barrel garbage.

Yeah but if you don't use it, it'll fail during the trial period and die. It's got everything Veeky Forums has and thread specific IDs on top of that. If it's a successful board when it gets added to the list it will bring in more people who are interested in the medium, too.

What's wrong with it, exactly?

>What's wrong with it, exactly?
Nothing. Shitposts are just memeing.

>what's wrong with it?
We don't want it, and the only people who seem to repeatedly and vocally want it are shitposters.

Deal with it.

It's true. Sorry but DBZ fetishquest is awful.

>It's got everything Veeky Forums has

No, it doesn't. Look at /qst/. It is a miserable pile of joke quests and memes. No one takes it seriously. No one wants it.

8% of Veeky Forums cannot and will not keep a board alive.

>deal with it
I will. By continuing to post and visit quests here.
Deal with it.

>I will. By continuing to post and visit quests here.

Same.

I'm running my quest right now and have no intention of leaving.

>Making a WQDT to troll

You realize that's a bannable offense, right?

>muh opinion is superior
>shitposting
Fuck, they were right, the only people who want the new quest board are shitposters.

>it will bring in more people who are interested in the medium, too.

>Nobody cares.

You clearly do. Or else why would you continually whine about it?

The "new features" are unnecessary.

There are not enough regular QMs on Veeky Forums to justify the existence of a new board.

New players usually come from those who begin with a casual interest when one thread strikes their fancy. Lower traffic and isolation is a recipe for killing quests if ever there was one.

Players are opposed to it, and QMs don't want to commit to it because it's disruptive for their playerbase and archiving setup. And before anyone cites LL setting up a /qst/ archive, not everyone uses sup/tg/ and even those that do would rather not split their archives between the Veeky Forums archive and the /qst/ archive.

There is no reason for the split aside from the loud complaints of a minority who cannot accept a roleplaying game on a board about roleplaying games that has a built-in dice feature.

The new board was sprung on us after a 2-hour "discussion" where ONE relatively minor concern with execution was addressed. The mod in charge of the new board has since disappeared with little sign that any other concerns are being addressed or even heard.

>New players usually come from those who begin with a casual interest when one thread strikes their fancy.

New players almost always come from other boards or the existing quest community.

Well, that's outright incorrect.
I suggest factchecking more.

>>New players usually come from those who begin with a casual interest when one thread strikes their fancy.
>New players almost always come from other boards or the existing quest community.

Or maybe they're just people who post on Veeky Forums regardless of where they're from or why they're here.

You have literally no way to prove anything about the people who post in quest threads as if it will somehow magically validate your anti-quest argument against what is actually provable to be 8% of the board's topics.

>the crossboard menace rears its head again
Say it with me now, user: "people are allowed to post on multiple boards".

Obviously posters in say, a DBZ quest come from the nebulous 'quest community' and not from random Veeky Forums posters that like DBZ and check it out.

Obviously there's a specific quest community that loves all sorts of quests and participates in all of them while ignoring all other Veeky Forums content.

Or that's total bullshit and quests are just another style of thread common to Veeky Forums.

Ah, yes, of course, the Mortal Kombat quest is nothing but /v/ and Veeky Forums posters, obviously.

That's a lie and you know it. Alot of people, including myself, were lurking Veeky Forums when they saw something interesting in a quest.

>OR THE EXISTING QUEST COMMUNITY

Prove it. Feelings don't count.

Bruh no one here plays that quest. Have you read it? It's like three people posting from six phones saying the same things over and over. That's not even a quest, you just got lied to and made an error. You're forgiven so don't worry about it these things happen and everyone experiences it eventually it'll work out, okay? Alright. You do you.

Granted yes, questers join other quests sometimes. But rejecting the notion that some if not most quest players were once general Veeky Forums posters is pretty ridiculous.

That's the crux of the issue here: an anti-quester has finally learned how to half-truth.

Yeah, the quest community, we gather every other second sunday for a luncheon.

So there's a discussion thread in /qst/ as well.

Where the hell is Reviewanon going to be posting their shit? Do I have to monitor both threads?

People should use /qst/ more.

Urban Oni 16 is live

nobody I follow uses it

and the vast majority of it are low quality dead ms paint quests

no incentive to use it

I think he'd post here

I'll only use it if we agree to delete either that board or this one immediately afterwards.

To be fair we do gather every weekend to shit post

That faggots been saying the same shit for at least two years now. I write a quest and have three 3000+ point 40k armies, but obviously i'm not interested in anything Veeky Forums at all. Don't bother replying to him

>the only people who seem to repeatedly and vocally want it are shitposters
Possibly related to the fact that any arguments in favor of a separate quest board are mostly answered with shitposts and "WE'RE NOT LEAVING DEAL WITH IT".

>8% of Veeky Forums
So who's the vocal minority, again?

The anti-quest shitposters.
They're a fraction of a fraction of the community. That's how minor they are.

The arguments in favor of a separate quest board have all been picked apart by legitimate answers, and now the only argument left is "The silent majority hates them" and "They aren't Veeky Forums because of this arbitrary reason".

Both are, but only one faction is trying to remove things they don't like instead of just letting them be like everyone else does.

Exactly why people should use it.

How about all you people in favor of /qst/ go to /qst/ and start posting high quality content to encourage other people to go there?

>biggest group:
people that don't give a shit. the overwhelming vast majority
>2nd
questfags
>3rd
anti-quest fags
all 12 of you

>There are only two groups on Veeky Forums, questfags, and anti-questfags
Holy shit, some people are way to into their stupid internet arguments. You are not all of Veeky Forums and don't represent all of Veeky Forums in any way, shape, or form. The people who you oppose are also not all of Veeky Forums. Deal with it.

>QM
Honestly, it's mostly because the refresh is still fucking broken. Just about everything else seems in order, and I was planning on running a quick one-shot just to test out the features, but the unstable at best refresh and general instability of the board itself is a deal breaker. I'm waiting for it to at least get the actual bugs fixed before I even think about using it.

11, Garry got married and no longer posts here.

Congratulations, Garry! I hope it goes well for him.

The ten or twelve people constantly shitposting on /qa/ to get policies they want.

desustorage.org/qa/search/text/quests /tg//type/op/

This really means one thing: Most of quest players are also contributors to other things.

Doctor: I have good news and bad news
Patient: well, okay doc, what's the bad news?
Doctor: You have cancer
Patient: Holy balls doc, what the heck could the good news be?
Doctor: It's only 8% of your body mass.

>QUESTS GOT A CONTAINMENT BOARD
Veeky Forums IS GREAT AGAIN

Veeky Forums IS SAVED

SAVED
A
V
E
D

Tau?

It's Tau isn't it

A dedicated quest board is always going to become a necessity regardless of how much we want it or not. Quests are a growing community, and eventually the burden it places on Veeky Forums will be unacceptable. It's best that the move takes place early rather than later.

Also, if we ask nicely and loudly enough we could get it to be a NSFW board.

There are a lot of ways this could go well.

Don't presume to speak for all of us when you say 'we'.

Are we talking about excuse me commissar and the succubus buttfat goddess is a redeemed loli threads?

>I will now shitpost to prove that Veeky Forums is worse now than it was before
Why do you people do these things?

You posted that yesterday.

maybe he's talking about the RP threads or the minecraft server?

Perhaps I should. I actually did a quest of sorts back in the day, although even then I felt it had a wrongness to it. I'm glad to see a board for Quests and the like being made.

I just feel that it won't succeed unless people actually use it and people aren't using it because they don't want it to succeed, despite it generally being better. The only thing I can think it lacks is an extended archive, but they isn't the fault of the board itself, it's just new.

But quests aren't growing.
They're following a normal ebb and flow cycle.

Quests have been downhill since 2012.
There were literally 5 quest threads at the time of the announcement. Five. On the weekends, it peaks at 15, including ones that aren't active and are just waiting to fall off of page 11.
"The quests are growing too big" argument would have been valid 5 years ago or so when they actually were growing. It is not valid now.

>Also, if we ask nicely and loudly enough we could get it to be a NSFW board.
There's no reason for that to happen with the text-is-sfw rules. It would only make the problem of the move worse.

I refuse to use it because there is no reason for a quest board, and no effort has been made to convince me there is.

>Quests are a growing community
If anything the number of quests has dropped from its peak. There was even a long-running attempt in /wqdt/ aimed at collecting and updating the status of all the quests year by year, though fucked if I know what archive would even have that available anymore.

Of course quests are growing! Every board on Veeky Forums spawns its own quests and every board on Veeky Forums is in a constant state of growth.

Now whether those quests are good or bad is debatable, but it's pretty indisputable.

evidence?

actually it is quite disputable.
All metrics show quests to be a smaller percentage at time of announcement than they were a year prior.

No, it can be disputed pretty easily.
If you count quests, they are smaller than they were last year, which was smaller than they were the year before.
This holds true until 2013, where they peaked.

He has none, it's a new already-failed attempt at making people move after bitching to the mods failed.

This has been explained before.

There are a lot of questfags. Most are just random fa/tg/uys that see a quest thread, check it out, and post in it. Maybe they'll post in more, maybe they won't.

The board traffic quests take up on Veeky Forums however is not limited by the overall number of questfags. It's limited by the number of QMs and how often they can run their quests. You could have a million questfags, but if only ten of them were QMs, their resulting board traffic will be tiny.

Engage your brain user.

Then don't you think that keeping them on a board that hates them is more damaging?

>No concept of biology.

user please, quests are obviously benign, not malignant.

But the board doesn't hate them.
In any thread bitching about quests, you get maybe 20 responders, and TEN THOUSAND people who don't care enough to give a shit.

People who care about quests one way or another are the vast minority, and any argument that goes against that just makes no statistical sense.

you are not the board user

most do not care about quests one or the other

he isn't wrong

I think you need some assistance
pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

The board doesn't hate them.

Quest hate threads have never hit more than thirty or so unique IDs, including people on the other side of the argument. The recent /qst/ announcement threads showed that around 78% of the board thinks splitting the community this way is a terrible idea.

The issue with your line of debate is that you are arguing in a thread made by questfags specifically for questfags. You'll be outnumbered here by design and shouted down. This gives the illusion majority agreement, an echo chamber effect.

>malignant

look at the state of Veeky Forums before and after quests and say that with a straight face

He is. Veeky Forums is at least 87% cancer, quests are just a very small part of the terrible bits.

#BringBackNazimod #KeepOurBoardsPure

>a board that hates them
Some people hate them. All of the evidence points to most of the board literally not caring either way because they aren't interested and don't go into fits when they see things they aren't interested in.

You're not accounting for short term economic shifts. Threads on Veeky Forums are like the world economy: it's a gradual process that wobbles a bit back and forth. Just because there's less threads this year than last year does not mean that the quest community is not growing; moreover, the number of active quest threads on the board at a time is not strongly indicative of the size of the community.

Quests have been growing ever since they became a thing way back when, and one short period of decline in the number of threads is not proof that the community is shrinking. After all, new posters get into quests all the time, and relatively few posters leave Veeky Forums on a permanent basis. That may not cause an immediate upgrowth in QMs, since it takes time for posters to come up with quest ideas and git gud at QMing.

Grow up.

>made by questfags
Nope. This one was specifically made by an anti-questfag trying to get quests to leave Veeky Forums, as per op.

It's a ghetto, and it's impossible to get new players there. Any Quests on that board are doomed to failure and slow extinction.

You're basically asking us to march into concentration camps. Also, thread-specific IDs are shit.

I look forward to it failing and dying.

Nope, the majority never agrees with anti-questfags in any thread where the topic comes up.
They also don't agree with questfags.
Because they don't care.

Nope. "The Board" doesn't hate us, as most sane people can filter or even just scroll past the things they don't like to find the things they do. By all reasonable accounts it's an even smaller group than we constitute.

Until /qst/ was sprung on us I have had exactly zero issues with anti-questers invading any of my threads, shittalking myself or any of my players, or any general disruptions that the players didn't start amongst themselves. Which will always happen from time to time when the players in question are invested in the story. But a trial board goes up and the shitposting goes out of fucking control.

There were less threads every year for several years in a row.

I'm sorry that you deny very simple pattern recognition, but don't expect people who can tell that a thing that was once bigger is now smaller to listen to your arguments.

Are you really this delusional?

Are you?

You demand evidence from me, and I offer it, even if it's not hard numbers and purely based on very basic facts. But now you aren't even offering your own, you're just making baseless claims.

Also, can you stop being a cunt and have a normal conversation?

so no evidence?