Making a 40k vidya gaem, here's a preview

Posted this on /v/ already but it seemed more at home here. Basically I'm making a fan game based around the Siege of Vraks, with lots of trench warfare and tanks. I just finished the heavy bolter gunner sprite and did some quick animating work in Scratch to test it out. The actual game will be made with more powerful software, but I wanted to see what it would look like (animation is in the link, not sure how to convert from scratch to .gif sorry):

scratch.mit.edu/projects/107634460/#player

Other urls found in this thread:

dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/264704.page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cease and desist in 5... 4...

I'd like to say cool, and it is, but all I'm seeing right now is a cool gif of a Krieger doing krieg stuff kriegerly.

Do you got any plans on what gameplay elements you're going to focus on?

Looks good senpai, keep it up

Good question. If you've ever played flash games like Colony, Age of War or Warfare: 1944, it'll be a bit like that; a sidescrolling freeform RTS. It'll obviously be more fleshed out than a shitty flash game, and feature tanks, aircraft, probably some Astartes of the Raptors chapter as well (they're not the focus though). There will be elements of base building and siegecraft, like placing trenches and prefabbed bunkers in a slow crawl across no-man's-land. I want the game to be very one directional and oppressive, and constantly feel like a slow trudge to victory. You will learn to fear artillery and hate the mud. Asymmetrical balance will play in as well, with Vraksian renegades being poorly equipped but more numerous and potentially with Chaos blessings as the game progresses (following the Siege of Vraks plot arc).

Sounds fun AND doable.
I don't know how you can balance the expendability of the kriegsmen, a slow trudging kind of feeling, and a fear of artillery(if you're not fast you can't do anything about it), but I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

My suggestion? Make the more "difficult" cultists have a traitor chapter supporting them, like khorne traitor guard, The Purge mercenaries, or some alpha legion cultists.

Will this be actual subversive Alpha legion? or DoW style generic traitors Alpha Legion?

As a fellow game creator, I'd suggest you turn your fancy animation into a small group of separate sprites, so as to allow for aiming up and down without sacrificing looks. Better to do it now than later.

And maybe take a bit more creative licence with it so you could maybe actually get some money out of it while still appealing to 40k fans. Maybe make it look more of-its-time (read: futuristic) rather than keeping it so anachronistic.

Wow I said 'maybe' three times in one thought.

Think before you post, kids!

Trench warfare in 40k setting sounds like my kind of game BUT seeing as GW is going to hit projects like this with all the lawyers they have why not make 40kish game instead with SPACE-PRUSSIANS fighting against SPACE RENEGADE-NAVAL-INFANTRY or something?

Noice.
Will it be single line? Or will there be some verticality?
To make it really dynamic, you could include skills (orders?) ala Lemmings.

If you need material to work with, I have a ton of ww1 and cold war books. I could translate some specifics bit for you if you're interested.

Why do you think this going to be hit with a cease and desist if it's not being done for profit?

Because Games Workshop.

Ah, you're just shitposting then.

>shitposting

Are you on the same planet? Are you talking about the same GW?

We're talking about the company who tried to copyright the words Space Marine

dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/264704.page

I really like it that you're sticking to a specific engagement in the 40k universe. I feel like often these sort of projects go to broad in their scope, which makes them less interesting. Going for one specific battle means that you can really get into the nitty gritties of fluff.

hello is that you Kirby?

Sorry this isn't your usual hugbox where everyone barely has two brain cells to rub together.

That was a for profit case though. Not to mention I'm sure tons of companies have tried and failed to do similar shit.

This is a little better, but it's still stuff that is close to seven years old and from a glance seems to be a case of the websites using art and such that belongs to GW.

To me something like the what the OP is doing would be akin to fan art or a video posted on Youtube and I don't recall hearing about GW issuing any C&D letters for those. Nor has The Lord Inquisitor, which is even more similar to what the OP is attempting.

Have you played warfare 1917?

Those games are really boring. Little to no interaction, just building shit. Can you do something with more micro somehow? Why are there no traditional RTS flash games?

You haven't been here long have you?

Damnatus was a movie that was being done non-profit. GW still slapped them with a cease and desist.

Lord Inquisitor I'm pretty sure asked GW for permission at some point which they granted after a very, very long ass time.

I'm aware of Damnatus and that appears to be a conflict of copyright law between the UK and Germany, not GW just smashing shit down.

Alien Assault (not!Space Hulk) and Interstellar Army Simulator 2015 (not!Chapter Master) comes to mind for recent examples of games.

It doesn't matter that it's non-profit.

It is their IP and they will bring an unholy mountain of litigative pain on you if you persue. They will protect the IP regardless of you making money or not because if they do not follow through it weakens their ability to maintain it in court for future proceedings as they now have precedent of not stopping open use.

Chapter Master was also non-profit but that didn't stop a C&D.

Please read up on copyright and IP law champ.

>they granted after a very, very long ass time.
And on the condition that he can't accept any donation.

Chapter Master got a C&D, OP

noice, keep it up

>less krieg, more marines
shit opinion desu sempai