Warrior Cultures

Of all the Warrior Cultures in fiction, are the Mandalorian the most fa/tg/uy-ish of them all?

On what metrics?

Depends on the writer.

>Muh Honor, but allowing dirty fighting
>Muh Bloodlines, but allowing outsiders into the family
>Muh Ruthlessness, but allowing mercy depending on the writer

It's your average warrior roleplayer's wet dream

there's always the original nerd-warriors

Kzin are much more fa/tg/guy-ish by far.

Maybe I've been gone for too long, but a race of furries doesn't really strike me as tg-ish...

The existence of the Kdaptist scares off most manly men from the culture, I find. Not that many have heard of the Kzin anyways, but of those that have, it's always a good laugh that they have a minor religion based around how the Kzin aren't the best,

Does that make sense? Kdaptists seem like a defeatist religion; would an empire at war really tolerate them?

Well, it's up to you to decide how much it is implied that they're tolerated. Some of the books make them seem like the west boro Baptists in that theres not many of them and everyone understands they're crazies. Other books imply they're a sizable minority who are being stomped out by the authorities.

Up to you really.

>Warrior Culture
>Not ultimately fatalistic

Yes, I know theres a jump inbetween fatalism and defeatism, but still.

What are you talking about?

The Mandalorians are a peace-loving people.

Which EU book are we talking about?

I'm not calling you a liar, because I KNOW there's a EU book with peace-loving Mando, there has to be.

I get the impression a mandalorian can do whatever they want as long as they can back it up.

I always liked bendak in KOTOR.

I think he's talking bout clone wars

Well, it's more "If I kill everyone who disagrees with me, then no one disagrees with me"

Clone Wars cartoon.

Which is the only thing to survive Disney's purge of the old EU.

Yet to see a warrior society in fiction or even real life that wasn't run on posturing. If everytime you have a disagreement its to the death, the society is dead by dinner time.

>If everytime you have a disagreement its to the death, the society is dead by dinner time.

The Zulu did okay for the time they existed without British intervention, even with their very intense revenge-laws.

But I dare any melee-based warrior culture to go up against gun-Imperialists and win.

the smart melee based warrior cultures just adopt the gun. Then the gun imperialists beat them by offering a treaty.

I bet if I google it the Zulu will have had some kind of ritualized means of resolving minor quarrels without violence.

IIRC Zulu warfare before shaka was so ritualised barely anyone even died. Shaka taught them to kill properly.

Is Karen Traviss a fat guy?

No, but they're the best faction in star wars because they're the only ones that aren't self-righteous wizards or goodest goyim.

its funny Ive read a few of her books and can't remember anything about them

Yes

What about Grey Jedi?

t. Karen Traviss

But the best faction in star wars is the dark side.

Which ultimately showed that the "peace loving" people only ruled for a couple decades at most before the planet exploded into civil war.

I think it's because of their flexibility. Most warrior cultures are stupid, highly rigid, primitive. The mandos are intelligent, flexible, and advanced.

>You can commit genocide on a galactic scale.
>You can murder, torture, rape, and destroy anything you want.

>As long as you say you're sorry, you're cool.

Fuck that story and fuck that universe.

That's not true Anons

Many warrior cultures created complex legal systems

Just look in to the legal systems of the Early medieval Kingdoms, they're all basically ancient Germanic law which is the standard "warrior culture"

For them its not about revenge, but fair compensation.

The more common solution was to pay a fine, they ALL wrote about specific monetary compensation for damage to specific parts of the body. This shit would go into detail. Look up "Weregild" if you're interested.

"Trial by combat"
This was used well into the 1400-1500

If you consider dueling with pistols as something similar it continues further

Blood/family feuds aren't a warrior culture thing but are more of a failure of the state to enforce the law and they don't cause states to fall apart
>Venice
>Italy in general
>Ireland, Scotland
>Germany

They practiced this kind of shit since the fall of the WRE until the state was able to centralize.

You wouldn't want to have dinner with the Gauls user. Their champions will fight to the death for the biggest pieces.

What about their mooks? Champions strut around and all the mooks back down. That's posturing no? That's what I meant.

Again just because there is a way to take things to the next level doesn't mean posturing isn't how most disagreements are resolved. A guy who loves dueling can then throw his weight around til someone calls him out.

Maybe I am actually fucking wrong.

Gauls did have a caste system but I believe (might be wrong) but all males were allowed had the right to fight for the best portion. So a book who did defeat the champion will then become the new champion.

>Curse you auto correct spell check
Mook not book*

And which was a major retcon, and was carried out after Lucas sold out if memory serves

It doesn't really matter considering Lucas never even thought of the Mandos besides naming the "Super Trooper" company he though Fett would originally be assigned from.

Man, let's not try to throw "best" at a tribe that was conquered by the Romans

gave caesar a harder time than most his enemies, including his fellow romans

Caesar had to result to war crimes like starvation to beat them.

No, this is a good assumption to make. Even if you have a legal system for that kind of shit in place, posturing, relative social standing, and reputation will resolve the vast majority of conflicts. The laws are for the ones that it doesn't resolve, or to allow the offended party a way to save face without getting maimed.

>war crimes like starvation

Or, you know, war crimes like enslavement and genocide.

Like, for real, you think the worst thing Caesar did was denying food?

But Bendak was Echani

we don't talk about that in polite company, user

> Veeky Forums
> Polite Company
Pick one Brosef.

>dude in the foreground with the shield
>"HEY, BORGRUFF HERE SAYS HE'LL TAKE ON YOUR BEST WARRIOR, AND BEAT HIM TO DEATH WITH HIS MASSIVE COCK. THA FUCK YOU SAY TO THAT YA PICTISH SHITS!"

>Mandaloraboos

The one upside to losing the Expanded Universe is the removal of this absolute cancer

Well mate, I presumed we were talking about fictional warrior cultures.

Klingons for example.

Mandos were good when they were just space asshole viking mongols
And then Karen Travis wrote a bunch of schlock that was terrible
And then Clone Wars blew her the fuck out