Board Games General /bgg/ 'Share the Love' edition

Time for a new /bgg/ thread. And of course, the ubiquitous 'Pastebin' link:

pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

> How did you get into board gaming / RPGs?

> Who have you introduced to board gaming?

> How big is your collection?

> Have you met any game designers?

> Are you playing any games this weekend? (It is 'International Tabletop Day' - May 30th 2016.)

Other urls found in this thread:

geekwaytothewest.com
1d4chan.org/wiki/RPG#Notable_RPGs
steamcommunity.com/groups/BoardGamesGeneral
massdrop.com/buy/resident-evil-deck-building-game-bundle
theworks.co.uk/p/board-games/world-of-tanks-rush/3558380023227
theworks.co.uk/p/strategy-games/berserk-war-of-the-realms-card-game/4620011811059
minderheiten-quartett.de/die-karten
ludocreatix.com/kutschfahrt/1spiel_en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whats the best board game thats good to play with a family but isnt too simple or random?

"Too simple" is a little subjective, but my kids and I enjoy Machi Koro.

Well I meant like games where its just roll the dice and not much else such as ludo. Thanks for the suggestion ill look it up

>> How did you get into board gaming / RPGs?

When I was a kid my mom hooked me up with a 'Summer Gaming' program sponsored by the FLGS. My older brother helped out too by playing games with me even if they weren't totally his thing. Been hooked ever since.

>> Who have you introduced to board gaming?

Well, there were all my geeky friends in high school that I got into RPGs, and now I'm infecting them and their kids with board gaming goodness.

>> How big is your collection?

Pic related - there are some supplements in there, but over 100.

>> Have you met any game designers?

While waiting in line to get through airport security, the guy behind me turned out to be Chris Darden - designer of 'Dungeon Roll' and "Geekway to the West" (a St. Louis area gaming con) founder. Nice guy - he was telling me he's go over 800 games in his collection. And I thought mine was kind of large...

>> Are you playing any games this weekend? (It is 'International Tabletop Day' - May 30th 2016.)

Sadly not - I've got a head cold and I don't want to share that with anyone else - so I'm watching game play videos and getting ready for the next time I can game.

>> Are you playing any games this weekend? (It is 'International Tabletop Day' - May 30th 2016.)
>May 30th
I hate to disappoint you but it's still April.

Carcassonne, Code Names, and Hanabi are all good family games that aren't total random fests.

I'm claiming 'Dain Bramage' on that one... (That and lack of sleep from this F'ing cold.)

Thanks m8

If it makes you feel any better I brought it up because you gave me a bit of a scare before my rational brain took over. I close on my first house May 20.

Glad to help!

Apparently the 'Calendar of user' *MIGHT* have a few inaccuracies in it... (And good luck on the home closing!)

The 'Geekway to the West' con is apparently sold out, but if you're in the St. Louis area, you might look to check them out next year. I'm thinking I'd like to go.

geekwaytothewest.com

Wow, that seems kind of unfortunate. My buddy helped setup a Meetup group for board gaming and they have different folks who bring tons of games. I got to play a number of new games for the first time on the occasions that I was able to hang out with them. You might just have to take the issue on directly.

>> How did you get into board gaming / RPGs?
My older brother at first introduced me to a couple but I didn't really get into it until my old roommate brought up some. He and I set up a gamenight with some other buddies. He even gave me his copies of Axis & Allies1940 Europe and Pacific be for he died.
>> Who have you introduced to board gaming?
Several buddies who lived in the barracks with me, and then using CAH began to convert random people who where foolish enough to walk in the general area.
>> How big is your collection?
^pic
>> Have you met any game designers?
Possibly but most likely not
It's April, and not today sadly as I have to work tonight

I'm a big fan of Neuroshima Hex. Neuroshima: Convoy seems interesting and some reviews claim that it's similar, although I doubt that claim after watching a playthrough. Anybody in here played it?

Also, I don't know what the hell were they thinking while designing the box art, because it just looks like a generic Battlefield cover.

maybe if I actually attached a picture it would be easier to see it

How do you like Once Upon a Time? The theme seems fun and I have a group of 4 to play it woth

RPG, well, one of my friends made his own RPG based on Saint Seiya, I was a big Saint Seiya fan so we played that homebrew to death. It was pretty shit though. As for Board Gaming, I'm a huge doom fan (RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS) so when I heard there was a doom board game coming out I immediately bought it. The box also came with a booklet full of very interesting stuff like arkham horror. One thing led to another.
Plenty of friends, some colleagues.
2big, last time there was a "collection wagglan" thread, my collection was one of the biggest by far.
I know a guy who has co-designed a published game (fadaboule, a french game so popular nobody made a BGG entry). The game is shit, but he's an alright fella.
> Are you playing any games this weekend? (It is 'International Tabletop Day' - May 30th 2016.)
Sadly, no.

Could you give me the rundown on Pocket Battles?

>2big, last time there was a "collection wagglan" thread, my collection was one of the biggest by far.

This is why you're supposed to post it - that way we all feel better about our selves... "I don't have a game collecting problem. I can stop any.. anytime I want."

Any suggestions for a solid RPG board game? Or share a tier list for them I know there's one somewhere

Pic related...

So is this game as good as people say it is or am I being tricked?

1d4chan.org/wiki/RPG#Notable_RPGs

By RPG board game do you mean dungeon delving or a game where you are characters? If the latter I've had fun with Eldritch Horror and I know that other people have as much, if not more, fun with Arkham horror. If you mean just dungeons then I don't know, I don't own any.

My current gaming group is taking a break from Pathfinder/D&D and playing Shadows of Brimstone. Very fun game so far and we're only two missions in.

Don't know - never played it. Are card games / anime maids your thing?

Oh alright. Not included : A BILLION EXPANSIONS.

I have Descent 1st edition and I'd instead recommend just playing a pen-and-paper game over that, it takes about the same time to run. Although it being a boardgame also makes it a lot more approachable to people intimidated by RPG stuff, so your mileage may vary.

I've heard its second edition is much better, though, and it's also the basis for the quite well received Imperial Assault.
If you like Star Wars you'll probably really dig Imperial Assault.

I can enjoy the theme for what it is. Card games are my jam though and I heard that this with expansions is a better dominion with actual theme.

Cool. Oddly enough, in spite of the fact that it's mechanically good, I just couldn't get into Dominion. I don't know what it was, but Dominion simply never grabbed me.

Saved! That way when the wife goes "You have a lot of games already." my reply will be "Not really. See, check this out." ;)

I feel really sad... I haven't played in months and was going to travel where I used to live to play today and a lot of things happened, long story short I'm staying home today. I feel like shit man, I really needed a break. I went t o local store and it was shit for yugioh, magic, vanguard and shit like that, it was full. I went back home with my games.

Agreed. I avoided deck builders for years mainly because I thought they all played like Dominion; bland and no interaction. I've since been proven wrong and have started looking around for good ones.

Anyone wants to play on boardgamearena?

looking for players to play Seasons, anyone?

>How did you get into board gaming / RPGs?
There were a few basic boardgames (Catan, Puerto Rico, El Grande) lying around in the student's communal rooms at the section of the university where I studied. Me and some uni friends got into it and eventually bored of the available games, bought Arkham Horror, and from there gaming collections grew.

>Who have you introduced to board gaming?
Tried to get my little brother into it, but it didn't really take the same way I took to it. He still enjoys Twilight Struggle though.

>How big is your collection?
>big
>implying
I only have 9 non-expansion games. Collectively our group has maybe 50-something games?

>Have you met any game designers?
No.

>Are you playing any games this weekend? (It is 'International Tabletop Day' - May 30th 2016.)
Nope, busy with other stuff.

Always had an interest from afar, but no one to play with.

A couple people I know are very light gamers and I really got them interested in deeper games.

Relatively small since most people I game with are day shifters and I'm evening shift.

No. Would love to meet Bruno Cathala and Richard Garfield.

I'm in easy travelling distance to GPToronto so my local game store is empty.

To rpgs, once when I say a group of guys playing at local Card Games store. To boardgames years later when I went to a local Tabletop event (thought I've always been interested)
My ex-girlfriend, sister, mom, 4 friends
20ish games
no
No, don't remind me.

Wil Wheaton for the former, Fighting Fantasy for the latter
Mixed results with family and friends - Love Letter and Gemblo have gone down well.
A little too big, but I plan on hocking a bunch of games at the UK Games Expo this year, so it's all good
My regular meetups have a few local designers. Andy Hopwood (Mijnlieff) and Greg Carslaw (404: Law Not Found) are the most regular faces - helps that Andy organises most of them
After a rocky start (I couldn't find the people in charge at first), we finally played a bunch of games around Birmingham. The ones I played were:
>Batman Love Letter
One guy who was new to Love Letter got kinda salty at being eliminated so quickly, and declared it the worst game he's ever played
>Sheriff of Nottingham
I played it like I was Edgar G Robinson, and lost by a country mile. Didn't help that I couldn't remember if I was bringing in 5 lovaes or 5 chickens
>Paperback
One of the best deckbuilders I've ever played, but people brought up a few flaws that I could appreciate. I almost considered it worth getting for my family, but then I realised it was a bit too "gamey" for them...
>Shave A Sheep
Played this with a pre-teen and her (grand?)mother. A few duff rolls dampened our spirits, but after a while we finally got into it.
>Witness
This one confused the shit out of some players, but everyone agreed the concept was solid. The pre-teen seemed kind of impressed that I'd read the Blake & Mortimer BD... well, she FEIGNED it well.
>Viticulture: Essential Edition
I have been itching to play this for a while, and luckily somebody brought a copy. Unluckily, that same person (mostly) cheesed it by taking the free VP every round. Also, one guy got huffy when I made what I thought was a smart move

Tabletop Simulator related questions go in here, or where?

Gemblo is really good, as it promotes logical thinking
We've got our own group, so I guess here's the best place.

As an aside - you might want to include a link to the rules (if possible) to entice more / new players. Just a thought.

While I got into games earlier than college, I certainly did my fair share of gaming while in college.

>Would love to meet Bruno Cathala and Richard Garfield.

I can relate - I'd love to chat with Burno. I've had so much fun with more than one of his games.

>Viticulture: Essential Edition

Hopefully you find a group that is a good fit for this. It sounds like a solid game.

Yeah, just about any board gaming related question can go here. I'm stoked - a friend of mine just hooked me up with a copy of the "Twilight Struggle" app that just came out on steam. I'm looking forward to playing it tomorrow morning with him. :)

I've got some people in my regular group that are interested, and even my mum has expressed an interest in the theme. And yeah, I just had the wrong kind of group today; Mr "I'll play this in the worst possible way" who I already mentioned and the #1 That Guy of the local meetups...

>refuses to even consider playing a game based on the flimsiest reasons e.g. it's got zombies in, he doesn't know the rules and doesn't want to learn them, it plays better with four people and there's only three of us
>does not understand the concept of just playing for fun
>has to do everything in the most optimal way, even if it's as fun as watching paint dry

when I fucked up and let Mr "Look at me, I'm just interested in getting victory points in the most boring possible way!" snatch victory in a way that I couldn't have see coming, he just looked at me and said "You just cost us the game" like I fucked his dog or something

Wow. I'd avoid gaming with these fools like the plague. If there isn't money riding on it, and all players aren't 'experts' at the game - then who cares if someone made mistakes? It's called a 'learning experience' for a reason. And the primary goal of board gaming isn't winning, it's having fun. If the only way someone can have fun is by winning, then they have a problem. I can understand where it can be frustrating if someone makes a mistake that you've already made before, but let them learn. All most no one would want to learn new games if the people they were gaming with were tools about it when players made mistakes.

>who have you introduced
my mtg friends, a fraternity brother or two, a couple other casual friends who will still only play party games but that's something
>collection size
own 58 games and 23 expansions
>met designers
not any published ones
>games
played NY1901, The Resistance, and Medieval Academy today. Unfortunately the beer hall was packed today and board gamer turnout was weak so it was a sort of shitty experience. Still have the meetup tomorrow though
It's interesting. I didn't find it had done anything new that was more worthwhile than Dominion, just different. Mechanically I'd say they're both equally good, but Dominion you can play with anyone while this has a chance to make people uncomfortable or make you look like a pervert

>Dominion you can play with anyone while this has a chance to make people uncomfortable or make you look like a pervert
I use this as a test to people I game with. I get not digging a theme, but if it's too much for you and you think less of me or refuse to play, you probably weren't meant to be a regular for the group.

>this has a chance to make people uncomfortable or make you look like a pervert
>Muh puritan sjw games
Man, gaming in the bible belt must be boring as fuck.

Yeah, it isn't exactly "Leisure Suit Larry" the board game. Anyone offended by Tanto Cuore, rather than just 'the theme just isn't my cup of tea', is sounding like the kind of person I wouldn't want to game with either.

This. Especially since I had no real idea what they were for the longest time. After playing Dominion, Star Realms (my favorite), Thunderstone and some others, I can say that the genre should've been called "Drafting". Not only is it more accurate but opens the genre up to other drafting games not reliant solely on cards, or live drafting during the game (think pre-game drafting like Epic Card Game). The important decisions made in the game are drafts and all of these such deckbuilders are built on the strategy that's inherent to drafts.

That definitely would've made me give it a go sooner.

Not mine, but another user posted this to help me out.

> While having some conceptual similarities, Card Drafting and Deck Building refer to different mechanics.

> Sushi Go is a Card Drafting game. (So is 7 Wonders.) Everyone has a hand of cards, picks one to keep to put in their tableau, and then pass the rest to the next person. You repeat this until all the cards are gone and then total up points.

> Dominion is a Deck Building game where you purchase cards to alter a base deck of cards to accomplish the goal of getting the most VPs.

This is one of those examples where not having a common set of terms makes talking about board games more difficult at times.

I think it's just because it's newer than most genres. Genres are general, as the name would imply. For example, the adventure genre is pretty diverse to the point that all you really can say is that it has players moving around a board, collecting things, battling enemies and reaching a goal of some sort with a heavy theme of adventure. I don't think it's necessarily bad that a genre is general like "Drafting", even if that's more of a mechanical component.

I got Android Mainframe and Fate of the Indines at my FLGS for today.

Here let me explain better. Sushi Go for example feels like it has more in common with Dominion than Dominion has in common with Star Realms. If you understand narrowing by criteria, you probably already get what I'm saying but if not:

>Sushi Go and 7 wonders has players draft cards then passing (opportunity costs) to opponents. Repeat until points are tallied.

>Dominion has players draft cards from a common pile, using their cards to get more cards until X number of piles are gone and points are tallied.

>Star realms has players drafting cards from a zero-sum pile, using their cards to get more cards until all players but one have all their points removed.

They're really not all that different in practice. I know it's hard to think of something like Sushi Go and 7 Wonders of all things being like Dominion, but really it just comes down to concepts. TMTOWDI (Timtoady to programmers: There's More Than One Way to Do It) tends to mean that similar things can look extremely different but still be very similar.

I started this reply to mention Eminent Domain too but I forgot why. Probably because its drafting piles are endless and public, with the exception of techs. Which somehow was supposed to contrast with Dominion's finite public and heavily contrast with Star Realms' finite zero-sum.

Yeah, 'Genre' is a bit general and at times hard to narrow down.

"Genre definition, a class or category of [something] having a particular form, content, technique, or the like." And while it originally referred to artistic endeavors like poetry, writing, painting, etc. The term's usage has evolved to cover a lot more than artistry these days.

I'd say it's more about defining some of the most common / specific characteristics of a 'thing' so that the terms can be used to educate and communicate.

Actually, I think you're missing a distinction that the other user was making - that being that there is indeed an important difference between 'Drafting' mechanics and 'Deck Building' mechanics. Deck building games can employ a 'Drafting' mechanic - but NOT all 'Deck Builders' are drafting games. Drafting is is selecting from available cards, then passing the remainder to your opponent(s). Dominion is NOT a 'Drafting' game - everyone has the same card availability for purchase in Dominion until that card type is exhausted. So, by selecting a card, I am not denying you that card. (Which is part of the strategy of games using a Drafting mechanic - like Sushi Go and 7 Wonders.) Meanwhile a drafted card does NOT have to go into a deck (i.e. Sushi Go and 7 Wonders), whereas a purchased card in a deckbuilder (Dominion, Thunderstone, etc) will go into your deck for subsequent turns.

Today I played:
>La Granja
>Millennium Blades (for my 4th play)
>Pax Porfiriana
>Kemet

What a fucking day.

Time to go to sleep and then do it again tomorrow.

Good for you user. Hope tomorrow's gaming is awesome too!

I'm hoping the same here. I know I'm going to get another play of Millennium Blades in, too. God, that game is getting better each time I play it.

I think the best part of the night was that somebody left game day after the play of Millennium Blades just to go to the FLGS and buy their last copy of Millennium Blades for themselves. That cracked me up.

Very fun with the right group. Make sure you have people with some sort of imagination and can think of fantastical stuff on the spot. Works well with me+wife playing with another nerdy couple. Didn't work well playing with my wife's parents.

plug

steamcommunity.com/groups/BoardGamesGeneral

Your link should now be in the Pastebin too.

I don't think drafting should be defined by how the opportunity cost is handled, e.g. passing unpicked options to the opponent. I think there just has to be some opportunity cost somewhere down the line affecting each pick. In Dominion it's the *number* of Blacksmiths available after I pick it. In Emminent Domain, it's the time counter I advance to the end of the game every time I or my opponents pick the same Strategy card.

The only thing deckbuilders seem to add to pure drafting is the live aspect. Where you draft, use those picks to do [game things] and also draft more. But iterative drafting is still just drafting but in long form.

Managed to play a late game of CitOW after a semi-failed TTDay meetup.

Horned Rat had great luck on Old World deck draws, almost every card was either a direct boon or a hindrance to the rest of us. Skaven tokens were everywhere after the warrens exploded, and an upgrade meant all the zones in the entire map were adjacent. Total map control is a scary thing when paired with massive numbers,

Lucky for Tzeench and Slaanesh, who got royally fucked by 4 turns of nullified dial advances, Khorne and Horned Rat managed to tie on their dial conditions, so neither got too far ahead. Which is worse for Khorne in the long run.

Tzeentch and Slaanesh worked at corrupting the land while Khorne rampaged across the board, Tzeentch managed to set everyone on each other's throats by avoiding or deflecting aggression. Slaanesh used the nobles to slowly rack a lot of points.

Final score was a very tight finish. Tzeentch pulled a 1 VP lead win over Horned Rat, and Slaanesh trailed by 3 VP. Khorne was sad and frustrated, which felt pretty good, honestly.

massdrop.com/buy/resident-evil-deck-building-game-bundle

Worth it? Seems like I can play it solo, wouldn't mind having a solo deck building game apart from Star Realms
The whole collection for 109

I hunted down a local game shop to pick up some comics, and they had board games demos available to play in the store.

Small, in part because of the store stock and in part because I am fairly picky with my purchases.

> Are you playing any games this weekend?
I played Blood Rage, Dogs of War, and something else I don't remember. Loved Blood Rage, the other two were good but I didn't enjoy them as much.

one for the BritFags - The Works Shops appear to have some nice looking games on

theworks.co.uk/p/board-games/world-of-tanks-rush/3558380023227

theworks.co.uk/p/strategy-games/berserk-war-of-the-realms-card-game/4620011811059

no idea if they're any good but for a fiver and £12 respectively, thought I'd give them a bash.

that is all, have fun, play nice

Has anyone played? I remember playing it but way before I really got into boardgames... so I don't trust my judgement from back then.
I like Star Realms like I said

Look at Dark Souls Kickstarter and decide if you want it, it's a MASSIVE amount of matériel for it's price and will not be nearly as cheap when it comes out.

It's very flawed but still pretty fun. Highly recommanding getting the latest set (mercenaries I believe) and working your way back through the sets if you still like it. The game progressively got better. I would NEVER play the game using the original basic resources for exemple.

If you live in the IE/LA area come play it with us this Saturday.

I'm thinking of getting the whole collection for $124.49 total... worth it?

Nah, I'm from Puerto Rico.

I wish I could play more often (specially Thunderstone), but everyone on my friend group seem to have a tight schedule nowadays. In the worst scenario, we propose of meeting on the weekend to play a new game, I half-assedly read the rules and by the time they come home, I can't explain the rules/concept good enough to convince them. So we end up drunk and boardgame-less.

btw, those two little deck games are german original. A /pol/-themed "Top Trumps" and a "discover your ally" game around two secret societies travelling in a carriage

minderheiten-quartett.de/die-karten

ludocreatix.com/kutschfahrt/1spiel_en.html

Has anyone played this?

do you even brawl?

I kind of like him BUT

>Feminism
>owtheedge.jpg

If I didnt own everything, I guess I'd buy it for that price.
Why not ? But keep in mind that the game is very flawed.

Yeah, he is a walking contradiction of ideologies... on one hand he seems to be anti-pc, but then spouses some cringe liberal emotionalism like muh feminism.

Anyway, that's got nothing to do with Boardgames.

>very flawed
Like? How?
I'm not super elitist and the people I play with are even less, but could you explain please?

The bad guy decks are insanely unbalanced (The one in alliance in particular is absurdly brutal and can lead the game to stall for a long time, or could just kill all the players)
Each subsequent set seems to introduce new mechanics that are immediately dumped (the partners mode in alliance, the infection mode in outbreak...)
Mixing cards from all the expansions will usually require you to remove some decks of cards that only use with mode X or Y as a consequence of that.
The bad guy deck is absurdly random. You could turn a card and reveal the final boss in the first turn, receiving massive damage and fucking your chances forever. Next player could turn a card from the very same deck and find a gatling gun and mow through the rest of the game effortlessly.

Mercenaries helps tremendously with most of these flaws, and you could always houserule some stuff. I've made my own gamemode based on "Epic" Thunderstone and everybody seems to like that.

The thing I like about Nick is that he is not afraid to lay into a game and talk about its flaws even if he enjoys it. I really appreciate that kind of honesty.

My favorite kind of review is the negative review, because if I can hear the complaints others have about the game and conclude that they wouldn't bother me then I know I'm sold.

Yo, first time posting.

I just picked up Smallworld and Munchkin today and thoroughly enjoyed them both with my mate, what do you guys think of them both? I'm pretty pleb when it comes to board games, so I don't know if these games are discussed to death or not at all. What sort of expansions are recommended? I saw about 8 for small world and 50 for fucking munchkin, so I don't really know what's good.

If anyone cares to enlighten me about some fun war board games, that would be sweet.

Huh, doesn't seem to be such a big deal if you can house rule it. Would appreciate it if you can share you're own gamemode so I have start playing it with stuff from every set right away, without having to play with it all until I discover on my own what works and what doesn't.

>Munchkin
EVERY TIME

Why does every other newguy to boardgame falls for the Munchkin meme?
Let't be your last one, and don't be another one of those guys that posts about how he regrets getting a lot of munchkin expansions that now collect dust.

I'll post some recommendations in a minute.

Alright, let me warn you, it changes the game quite a bit. My group seems to think it's for the best, but YMMV.

Untested with partners mode, mercenaries mode and outbreak mode.

>Munchkin meme

what the fuck did I just read. Is it like universally hated or some shit?

To be fair absolutely fair Munchkin is fun for a couple of sessions.

Not necessarily hated, people just get over it and never look back. Thought some people do hate it. But we often see people posting how they didn't know better when they were starting and wasted a lot of money on Munchkin expansions...

Munchkin is fun exactly twice. After that it just falls apart completely.

Yeah, I only played a few rounds with a few friends and it wasn't very expensive. I'll just see how it goes, I suppose it gets boring super quick?

Also, anything on Smallworld?

Thanks a lot for this.
Do I shuffle the floors and labs or put them in that orther? that's the only thing I didn't get, is each floor shuffled still?

I haven;t played Smallworld, but it seems to be a modern classic that has stood the test of time.

I hated it on my first play, I immediately sold it which turned out to be a mistake : Sold it to a friend who still enjoys it immensely which means I still have to play it from time to time.

I love small world.

So you want some war themed board games ? Hmmm. I'm very fond of Summoner Wars and Battle Lore 2nd edition. You may also want to try the latest Star Wars Risk (which is Risk in name only), 8-minute empire if you want something extremely fast and light and Shogun/Wallenstein if you want something a lot more meaty.

I'm going to order it. Mainly because of the theme. It's not fantasy. I love fantasy, but I don't want to overwhelm my players.

You put each floor in a separate stack next to each other, each of those stacks is individually shuffled. I feel it conveys the "puzzley" flavor of the early RE games.

>Shogun/Wallens

My man, I love shogun shit. I'll give that a look.

I'm looking for games that can hold up to 6 people, we all get drunk on a weekend and play video games and stuff, but as we're getting older it's just getting tedious to bring everyones pcs to each others houses and shit, so I came up with the idea of some board games, because I hear board games are still in their prime and lots are super good.

So it's good I grabbed small words, what are the expansions like? I'm assuming they're worth it considering more races = more variation.

btw when I talk about putting a "token" on each stack, I don't mean a "token card" (which is a thing in the game), but an actual physical token that represents the floor being locked. Like, say, a poker chip. The terminology can make this a little confusing.

All the expansions that just add more races are great, I'd skip SmallWorld underground because some of the races don't play well with the others and realms because it adds setup time and isn't really worth it in the long run.

Shogun is great but may not be the best choice if you guys are drunk. It's a heavier, more strategic game, and not that focused on the combat aspect. Also it caps at 5 players.

I have to admit I can't really think of any good light-ish wargame that works with 6 players. I'll think about it.