Mornington Crescent

Everybody ready for a new game? It's been a while since I played this.
All rules active during the last thread applies, I don't want another McLentington happening.
Plus all the errata submitted by Woodford in 2012 are also in effect.

Who wants to go first?

>All the errata submitted by Woodford in 2012 is also in effect
Woodford was a scoundrel and a public menace and his "errata" are a load of hogwosh. But I digress.

I suppose I'll go with the standard Rasputin opening of Picadilly Circus.

Mornington Crescent.

I win.

I'd like to submit a Fosworth-Kennington over-rule due to the misspelling of Piccadilly Circus here.

To that effect, I'd like to start with Holborn.

Ha, if only it were that easy eh?

did you not READ the OP? We're trying to AVOID a McLenington happening you mongrel.

suppose I deserve that, trying to memorize the board. It doesn't work.

I invoke a Vardy Sprint, hopping from Leicester Square to Warren Street

It is that easy though. I won.

One of the active rules OP mention is the Hornchurch amendment, it says that if a player starts the game in Mornington Crescent, he loses his turn and starts in Hornchurch instead. Nice try though.

I'm more of a fan of the Victoria Opening, I go Tower Hill.

Vardy Sprint already? How quaint. It's like you don't want to win.

Cockfosters divert to Southgate

Mornington Crescent. I win again.

So, let's assume didn't make such a colossal misplay (sportsmanship is important), and continue, as is?

I mean, I can see why they'd do that: they forgot that the Woodford Errata rules out Hobbessian openings. You need to understand /why/ the opening is hobbesian though (if you double back, you can't repeat the move without ending up in Nid), so it's a reasonable error. The whole Hobbesian/Pinkerton area's kind of tricky to grokk when you first come across it.

I'm going to have a reversed orthodox Dewar opening; transferring from my local rules board at St Enoch through to Euston.

I latch the gate and you're shunted to Stockwell, though I'm in spoon for an innings.

>Tower Hill opening
ur a cheeky cunt i'll give you that m8

Now, that shunts you to Hornchurch (due to the hornchurch ammendment). Although, you know, you're not pushing for McLentington this time round (since tower hill is tri-polar), so it's an improvement.
Really, you need to be thinking a few moves ahead. Try reading through some of the old masters' games to see how they deal with this sort of situation.

A reverse Dewar, how cute. It's almost like we're playing at the kid's table again.

Queen's Park Gambit to castle Euston with Hoxton.

Question: is a beginner allowed to play with a map open, or should you concentrate on memorization before trying to really get the strategy?
(let's not get into the Quantumton Cresent variation, that game hurts my head)

Queen's Park Gambitting via Hoxton would put you in Tower Hamlets, surely? Because user is in Stockwell with the gate closed?

The professionals don't have access to the map, but they're pros for a bloody good reason. So long as you aren't blatantly flagrant with abusing the map or its creases, most matches will permit it.

well, using the creases is basically just cheating. Like playing with loaded dice or something, you know?
Anyway, I'm going to go for Marlyebone, trying to get my tempo up. Is that a dumb move? (Be gentle, I'm still new)

God. This is a humorless non game isn't it?

"oh so funny these British words and wot wot."

It was originally, but then Veeky Forums got shit done and made an actual ruleset a couple years back. You can find it in the archives.

It's not a terrible play, though a bit antiquated. The current preferred line would have taken the chance to gone to Regent's Park, but for a new player it's hardly the worst move you could make.

Stamford Brook to Westminster

It's basically to boardgames what calvinball is to sports

Well in that case, I'll have to do a trishift Palladium through to Shadwell from Hoxton; although if I only do a double-shift Palladium I'd end up in Canada Water instead. Would the Palladium errata from 2010 force me to go to Canada Water regardless despite a connection at Shadwell due to the Overground?

But... because you're in Westminster, that means I'd open two more lines to use if I then went to Edgeware Road, right?
I'll do that then, Marlyebone to Edgeware Road.

>Not realizing that the REAL game of Mornington Crescent is roleplaying as people playing Mornington Crescent

I thought the woodford errata reversed overground moves? Doesn't that come under 'Pinkerton mechanics are only ignored underground?'

A strict interpretation of the rules would suggest that, but with the Woodford Errata in play, you can attempt to ditch at Shoreditch High Street.

Fuck off back to sticking a dreidel up your arse Schlomo

Not in the edition I have; then again I keep forgetting the East London Line is now Overground and the castling QP maneuver would actually place me in Nidd for 500 turns due to technically being in an illegal space on most Mornington Crescent boards; the Dewar Companion Errata would suggest in this case that an emergency diversion to Whitechapel or Canada Water would apply so as to avoid the Overground or DLR; although some local rules allow DLR play in this scenario.

Regardless, Shoreditch High Street has no other connections so I'll attempt an overstretch to Stratford.

>Stratford
Oh hell, you're aiming for THAT? I was really hoping to save this...

Bank to Bethnal Green, take a derail tag to send it on and collide from Pudding Mill Lane.

Gambit at Stratford.

I'm pitching the American TriRail. Try and fucking stop me.

While you guys are locked in a Tibelius maneuver, I'm ditching luggage and getting Elephant & Castle.

What? Why would you do that? Isn't at Pudding Mill Lane going to cause a knock-on disruption, putting everybody in Nid for three turns?

That's why I ditched my luggage. Using Lockwell's 2009 reference manual to avoid detectors and collisions I'm safe to go Stockwell while you guys are stuck in Nid.

He's actually right. E&C looks like it's a border case, but it's definitely zone 1, he's free and clear.
That said it's going to take him at least 3 turns to Charing Cross, and who knows what can pop up there?

Ohhh, that's fucking clever.
Well, I guess our only option is to sit it out and then go for the bonus movement for unnatended luggage.
[captcha that is not food that is a rock]

Boston Manor to Turnham Green, using the lobster defense to get a free jump around to Holland Park.

and they said I was a lunatic for advocating the Heathrow Loop.

Lobster defense is a good move under the Pinkerton mechanics, but it will only put you at a disadvantage after the amendment rules has been applied. Unless I'm missing how are you getting out of Turnham Green in time to get advantage of the Solstice innuendo.

I take 3 and move to Charing Cross. I'll lose my next turn, but then I'll be able to move between lines for free during 2 turns.

It's a stretch, but I can just barely get to Gunnersbury before the Solstice Innuendo kicks in, was ruled legal in the 2003 regionals after the McLentington incident.

Doubling back on the green, though, means I can only get to Kensal Rise this cycle instead of Finchley Road & Frognal as intended.

Posts like these are best evidence of creeping moral decay of modern society.

Newfag here.
I'll start with an inverse Hail to the Queen at West Finchley. This isn't a legal move according to the 1997 version of Trott's law, but the 2013 update clearly states that this move can be performed in several specific locations, West Finchley being one of them. For reference, the Wentham edition clarifies this further.

You're both forgetting the Solstice Innuendo is actually an hour forward now, according to the Greenwich errata.

Honestly, I would advocate using an Islington kebab maneuver, though it really all depends

Would it be okay to start with Gospel Oak and pedestrian's sleight to Turnfell Town? (Still new)

The rules are pretty complex, user. Not everyone knows them. We all had to start somewhere.

As Stratford is an interchange, I can transfer lines to avoid purposeful collisions after an emergency move as per Green (2011) and instead find the collision passing via Moorgate. In this instance I'll take Tottenham Court Road and change keys.

Turnfell Town isn't a station; but Gospel Oak to Kentish Town would be a valid maneuver under the Pedestrians Sleight; just remember to have the Marauder's Precept in mind when navigating a transferal section from the Overground as a starter.

Woodford Errata?
Doesn't that assume no engineering works at all?

I've always seen the DLR as it's own thing, but I believe the 2010 Sanderson Memorandum for Pinkerton play lets it be considered along with Overground and viable with only 1 turn in Nid for each non-standard line you use (including the Thames Ferry, if the Michaelson amendment is being used)

Assuming Sanderson-Woodford, I'll open with a Barons Court to Earl's Court Piccadilly-District Reverse, getting me to Hammersmith

>Misreading Tufnell Park as Turnfell Town
Shocking display, the 1972 Annímé Legislation would have banned you for that.

You cur, Annime are heretics and you know it.

Hammersmith, tricky.

I'll take the changed keys and I believe that with Eclair v Gavensy's 1943 game precedent, that gives Mornington Crescent.

y'all are a bunch of amateurs, let me show you how it's done

I'll open at Ebisu, taking the Tokyo Hibiya metro line to Meguro. you motherfuckers won't even see me coming

I take to King's Cross St. Panreas, visit the W. H. Smiths for an extra turn and frog passènt to Mornington Croissant.

What the hell is going on

A vigourous game of Mornington Crescent, as one may observe.

AND WHAT THE HELL IS MORNINGTON CRESCENT?!?

The game being played in this thread, user, no need to shout.

It's simple, didn't you play it when you were a kid?

well, it just so happens that I have the pamphlet that was distributed about the subject, part of "the pocket guide to Mornington Crescent" available at all good book stores.

"To learn how to truly play Mornington Crescent, one must be familiar with it's long and storied history; the first document including the game is Geoffrey Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales" and in the pilgrim's journeys, some aspect of the Original Ancient rules can be found."
(Cont. 1/4)

"And there we have it, with this knowledge behind you the ease with which you'll be vectoring the diagonal, sacrificing Seven Sisters, or even the elusive and complicated Ffanshaugh manoeuvre (2nd amendment) will astound your friends, and earn you a place in one of the country's fines Crescent teams!"

(4/4)

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue.

>Beckham Opening
There's a reason no one uses that.

Elephant & Castle approach.

Neither do I.

Impossible and irresponsible. Everyone knows that opening leads to an intentional draw and is as such banned at all levels of competitive play, except for the Tucci Conference where it is nonetheless abhored and only used by the truly desperate in an attempt to get half points to qualify for the 2nd round. Shameful.

I'll start with a Baker's Street gambit, Dutch variation.

>Dutch Baker's Street gambit
get that shit out of here, dirty yid.

West Brom to Paddington, using the treble station exchange to advance to Edgware Road.