EDH/Commander General

>EDH/Commander General
>Sac edition
>>picrelated

>>RESOURCES

>mtgcommander.net
>>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

>tappedout.net
>>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

>edhrec.com/
>>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

>manabasecrafter.com/

>>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

>gatherer.wizards.com/
>>Official search site. Current for all sets.

>magiccards.info
>>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

>What are your favorite sac outlets and or sac based commanders?

Fuck, forgot the subject

It's in there somewhere, it'll do.

Haven't built this yet but I'm excited to throw cleric tokens into vindicates when I do.

I'd rather use Athreos and stuff her in the 99, but I quite like Ayli.

I don't have a white deck, and Brion Stoutarm caught my eye when looking for white commanders that seemed fun. Then I started brewing him and realized I would pretty much be building a second Jarad deck, in worse colors.

I plan on buying the 2014 Ob Nixilus Commander Deck, the RW 2015 and BW 2015 commander decks tonight and scrapping them for parts.

Good idea y/n

not really, if you buy the individual singles you want from these decks you'll save quite a bit of money

I don't know, some of these cards are pretty expensive by themselves. If I'm only paying 35 for each of the boxes. I'll crunch some number and see if I'm really saving.

what cards are you looking to pick up?

So I'm working on an Esper mana base. The other lands I think I need right now are.
>seachrome coast
>skycloud expanse
>mystic gate
>sunken ruins

Am I missing anything else important? Still kind of the deck building phases.

you'd propably be better of buying singles. there is barely any value in any of these decsk iirc.
The 2013 decks were much better in that aspect espeically Mind Seize (Grixis) and Eternal Bargain (Esper) are great decks.

>Tainted lands and Dromar's Cavern
mah nigga. looks pretty good.
I'd love myself some Filter and Shocklands too but they're just not worth that kind of money to me, so I run the painlands (Caves of Koilos etc.) instead.
If you can take the pain maybe throw in a City of Brass.

Not a fan of dromar's cavern at all

I'm not sure if money's an issue for him with the expeditions.
Maybe consider Urborg for even more black fixing, but otherwise I think you're covered.

Ghoul caller Gisa, Grave titan are roughly 12 dollars together it seems. Adding up just some of the high value cards from the ob nixilus deck brings those cards up to just 32 dollars alone. I'm wanting this deck for some of its artifacts and the two I listed above. Going to check the other decks now.

I have the mind seize deck, there are alot of great cards I'm using from that one right now.

I used to do the same with the pain lands but I find it annoying to keep track of the lifeloss, especially if you end up playing it turn 1 or 2

So I don't run them anymore

Daxos deck is about 21 with some of the high value cards. Karlovy is the most expensive being 6 bucks. I think I can pass on this because I only really wanted some of the enchantments and karlov.

thanks I'll add an Urborg for sure, no idea how I forgot about that.
thanks, I do try to keep the pain lands to a minimum. Though I will still consider a city of brass.

let's see those playgroups boys

I'm getting kinda bored of Doran. Might take it apart for Karlov

I'm really disappointed that you don't get the option to fuck with lands nowadays. I'd love Ayli, if her ability could target lands as well, even if it cost 1 or 2 generic mana more.

I figured that too just said why I don't run them.

true, but I mostly run them in my Esper deck which is Oloro and so I have to fumble with the counter anway each turn.
But I do tend to forget the lifeloss from time to time when playing with Mana Confluence and City of Brass in my other decks.

I think I'll just be picking up ob nixilus and the kalmne deck. That Kalmne deck has over 50 dollars worth of stuff in it I need so that value is good.

My Stoutarm is my pet deck, and it's irreplaceable for me. There's a difference in the abilities, while jarad hits everyone and is more powerful, it's life loss, not damage. Stoutarm's damage can enable some fun things, like with grafted exoskeleton or so. Mostly it doesn't matter, but I love him, even though he's not that good in general, then again, he's probably the best boros commander out there, but then again, I probably am biased.

Yasova Dragonclaw
MVP cards: Trading Post, Evolutionary Leap, Good Old Fashion Fling.

I really need to pick up the good stuff like Ashnods Alter and Shivian Harvest

Me and the Anafenza player are the most active ones atm. The other guys sadly have been preoccupied the last 2 weeks sadly.

I'm the only one who bothers to make new decks and spend money on the game.

Remaking these sheets kinda sucks.

I've got the same case in my group, too, only with fewer precons and more shittery.

I had the opposite thing happen. All the people I got into the game wanted to play the wacky and powerful cards they saw in my decks and started throwing money at magic

Altar of Dementia and Dimir House Guard, who is criminally underrated.

Favorite sac based commander is Chainer if you include combining him with the aforementioned sac outlets for recurring Gary a bunch of times.

Your playgroup is diverse and has some cool stuff. Mine's just...altered precons. Most games are matches of 4 of my own decks.

Now that just sounds awful. The worst precons are the Daretti and Mizzix player, he's switched two cards in Daretti and nothing in Mizzix.

>just got a snazzy new mimeoplasm foil
>working on a deck
>unsure of whether to focus on graveyard shenanigans, stealing my opponents stuff, or doubling effects of things
>should I focus on field-based removal, or mill, or hand destruction
>go buy a pack with my girlfriend for the fuck of it to see if I get something neat
>crack that new Sorin
>now I want to make a B/W vampire deck
Why is magic such a harsh mistress?

My store is selling the Kalemne deck for 16 bucks because they weren't selling as fast.
I don't get why they still aren't selling. Theres a lot of value there, the deck itself just is kind of confused about what it wants to do.

Get it and resell. The sword in that deck is worth 6-8 bucks alone.

Don't die on me yet you son of a bitch

>3rd page
>dying
?

I read page 7 on mine

Question about rulings regarding mimeoplasm:
>I cast mimeoplasm
>exile blightsteel colossus and ghoultree
>if I want the effect of blightsteel colossus, would mimeoplasm have 10 power, based on ghoultrees power, or 22 power, based on blightsteel colossus' power, plus 10 +1/+1 counters?

"Copy of a creature" means the base P/T of creature, which is Blightsteel. You get Ghoultree's power in form of counters.

To answer your question: yes, your Mimeoplasm is even more overkill.

>tfw nobody in my kitchen table games will take the time to make an edh deck, then everyone complains about how fast the regular games are over

He looks fun as fuck, just more similar than I wanted from a nee deck. Especially since the direction I was going was red artifact reanimation and flinging Wurmcoil Engines, along with Godo and whiye rquipment tutors to get Exoskeleton.
I have difficulty not making combo decks sometimes.

On a scale of 1 to faggots, where do we sit?

Blightsteel can't go to a graveyard for Mimeo to copy.

Jesus, I thought it was the other way around. This card is pretty stronk. I've never really made a three colour deck, but this is working pretty well so far.

In terms of techs, how should I set things up? Right now there are three options:
>mutual mill into a giant graveyard of fun with resurrection spells
>counter-spells, draw, and land ramp out the ass
>artifact voltron and kuldotha forgemaster into field control

What would you suggest? I know a lot of aggro is coming my way, I just want to be able to throw down in my ultra-competitive locals.

Blightsteel can go to a graveyard, its just hard to pull off.

You could flash in mimeo in response to the blightsteel trigger, right?

You're right, I was more concerned with how it would activate than the particular creatures, sorry about that.

Blightsteel doesn't have a triggered ability.

Well I have been cheated out of more than one game then

Do you try to pump her power up at all so you can steal bigger shit.

That works with the Eldrazi, but Blightsteel is a replacement effect and never goes to the graveyard in the first place.

Yeah, just look at the ability.

>If Blightsteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Blightsteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

It's a static ability, that generates a replacement effect (doesn't use When, Whenever, nor At, which are what identifies triggered abilities). The word Instead shows its a replacement effect.

If I cast door of destiny, can I declare "Human spirit" as the type? I don't think there are any human spirit creatures, but I want to proc the bonus with both humans and spirits. Would it be the same as "human wizard"?

Human and spirit are separate types

You name one or the other

205.3e. If an effect instructs a player to choose a subtype, that player must choose one, and only one, existing subtype, and the subtype he or she chooses must be for the appropriate card type. For example, the player can't choose a land type if an instruction requires choosing a creature type.

Example: When choosing a creature type, "Merfolk" or "Wizard" is acceptable, but "Merfolk Wizard" is not. Words like "artifact," "opponent," "Swamp," or "truck" can't be chosen because they aren't creature types.

Thanks user, I really appreciate that! I was just going through some old singles and I was wondering how viable a spirit edh deck would be.

The answer is not very. The best combo I can think of is building up a giant mass of spirits then blasting them all at once, followed by a devouring greed.

Karador spirits is decent, but not as good as plain goodstuff or combo Karador.
Iname, Death Aspect is a powerful but fragile combo deck.
I wish we had an Esper spirit commander.

Question: How useful is Tamiyo's Journal?

Is "Ally" a creature Type?

Yes
205.3m. Creatures and tribals share their lists of subtypes; these subtypes are called creature types. The creature types are Advisor, Ally, Angel, Antelope, Ape, Archer, Archon, Artificer, Assassin, Assembly-Worker, Atog, Aurochs, Avatar, Badger, Barbarian, Basilisk, Bat, Bear, Beast, Beeble, Berserker, Bird, Blinkmoth, Boar, Bringer, Brushwagg, Camarid, Camel, Caribou, Carrier, Cat, Centaur, Cephalid, Chimera, Citizen, Cleric, Cockatrice, Construct, Coward, Crab, Crocodile, Cyclops, Dauthi, Demon, Deserter, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Drake, Dreadnought, Drone, Druid, Dryad, Dwarf, Efreet, Elder, Eldrazi, Elemental, Elephant, Elf, Elk, Eye, Faerie, Ferret, Fish, Flagbearer, Fox, Frog, Fungus, Gargoyle, Germ, Giant, Gnome, Goat, Goblin, God, Golem, Gorgon, Graveborn, Gremlin, Griffin, Hag, Harpy, Hellion, Hippo, Hippogriff, Homarid, Homunculus, Horror, Horse, Hound, Human, Hydra, Hyena, Illusion, Imp, Incarnation, Insect, Jellyfish, Juggernaut, Kavu, Kirin, Kithkin, Knight, Kobold, Kor, Kraken, Lamia, Lammasu, Leech, Leviathan, Lhurgoyf, Licid, Lizard, Manticore, Masticore, Mercenary, Merfolk, Metathran, Minion, Minotaur, Mole, Monger, Mongoose, Monk, Moonfolk, Mutant, Myr, Mystic, Naga, Nautilus, Nephilim, Nightmare, Nightstalker, Ninja, Noggle, Nomad, Nymph, Octopus, Ogre, Ooze, Orb, Orc, Orgg, Ouphe, Ox, Oyster, Pegasus, Pentavite, Pest, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Pincher, Pirate, Plant, Praetor, Prism, Processor, Rabbit, Rat, Rebel, Reflection, Rhino, Rigger, Rogue, Sable, Salamander, Samurai, Sand, Saproling, Satyr, Scarecrow, Scion, Scorpion, Scout, Serf, Serpent, Shade, Shaman, Shapeshifter, Sheep, Siren, Skeleton, Slith, Sliver, Slug, Snake, Soldier, Soltari, Spawn, Specter, Spellshaper, Sphinx, Spider, Spike, Spirit, Splinter, Sponge, Squid, Squirrel, Starfish, Surrakar, Survivor, Tetravite, Thalakos, Thopter, Thrull, Treefolk, Triskelavite, Troll, Turtle, Unicorn, Vampire, Vedalken, Viashino, Volver, Wall, ...

Answer: How many clues can you make?

If the answer is a lot, then it's very useful. If the answer is not so many, you'd probably be better of fusing a tutor.

Warrior, Weird, Werewolf, Whale, Wizard, Wolf, Wolverine, Wombat, Worm, Wraith, Wurm, Yeti, Zombie, and Zubera.

Or, more simply than copypasting one of the longest and least complicated rules in the game, if it's a word in that line, it's a type that card has, and unless a token specifies a name, its name is also its types.

Well, the Journal makes one Clue a turn and if I can pull any card out of my deck by saving the Clues or just sacrificing them to draw. I'm having a hard time evaluating that.

>complaining about posting a list of subtypes.

I'm sure you're fun to play with.

Is tamiyos journal good in colorless eldrazi?

I would only use it in three situations:
>if you need sac outlets
>you're running a deck that uses a lot of clues
>you're running a deck that has affinity and metalcraft

Otherwise it's a tutor with suspend 3 for 5 mana. Sure, the clues are super nice and can give you quick draw when in need, but it all depends on what kind of deck you're working with.

I'm running a small Voltron suite that pumps her power a lot. (Ogre's Cleaver, Darksteel Axe, Umbras)
Biggest flaw I've found so far is how low her toughness is she gets burned out super easy so she's hard to keep on the board in some games.

Or a daretti artifact deck, or in mazirek, or with doubling season shenanigans. Kind of a niche fit in each though.
Man, I wish I had the scrilla to go full Timmy and buy all the doubling season effects.

Ah! But that's inaccurate, as not all words in the type line are that card's types.

For example, when a bestow creature is an aura, it can't be any of it's creature types. This is because creature types are not valid enchantment subtypes.

If the card had the Tribal supertype, they would be valid subtypes for such an enchantment aura, as that is the function of Tribal in the first place.

>battlecruiser magic
3/10

Not really, no good ways to make Clues in there, though it's a serviceable budget option for mono-brown draw if you're desperate. The biggest draw is that Clues are artifacts, allowing artifact synergies to kick into gear (KCI, etc).

Alright, so a while ago my buddy has his entire collection stolen. I got him the Mizzix precon because it's his favorite color combination. So far, he is loving the shit out of it but still seems weary on getting new cards out of fear of them being stolen again.

What all (that's affordable) can I help get him that would make the deck play smoother and better? I was thinking along the lines of Fuel for the Cause, Invoke the Firemind.

could grab him a steam vent, I guess some people are saying the price will jump.

A lot of the mediocre dual lands from standards past are always nice

Spell burst and Mindswipe are AMAZING in mizzix. Spell burst can often save entire games by itself.

Capsize and Shattering Pulse are is just pure value too thanks to buyback

Increasing vengence, howl of the horde, and radiate let you do some really explosive plays.

Young pyromancer and guttersnipe can get there all on their own. The pyromancer in particular can provide really important speed bumps

better score than I expected

>tfw just finished the greatest night of EDH I have ever played
>5-0, with 2 fucking unbelievable asspull wins

I should just fucking retire because there's no way I can top tonight

Would you say EDH is a good format to team beginners? At least 1 v 1 with casual based decks? It covers a lot more sets and mechanics than just a simple modern or standard intro deck.

Question: If my 6/6 attacker has first strike, deathtouch, and trample, and it's blocked by a 6/6 and a 4/4, is 1 damage apiece enough to kill both blockers and then the rest of the damage tramples through?

Yes. Deathtouch and Trample make it you only need to deal one damage per creature. All the rest goes through to the opponent. So long as both blockers don't have first or double strike, your first striker lives.

When showing new people the game, you show them really simple decks

EDH is like throwing the swimmer that has floaties into the deep end of the pool, and the floaties are now lead.

Alright, that's what I thought. Friend was trying to claim otherwise so I just went his way instead of fighting him on it because he had no possible way to win

Show them incredibly simple and straightforward decks. There are some really fucking weird interactions in EDH that might be overwhelming. Mycosynth Lattice comes to mind

I have my own related but separate question. Say I have a 2/2 Trampler and Furnace of Rath is on the field, and my trampler is blocked by a 2/2. Do I need to assign 1 or 2 damage to the blocker?

How do you build with this fella? Is he just "Wheel effects, put fatties in yard, make hasty fatty tokens"

Faithless looting + Pathrazer of Ulamog + Feldon is a bit of a combo.

>5-man game
>everyone's faces when I used 4 extra combat phases to kill the whole table with Godo

This guy is so much fun, holy shit

Feldon likes sundial of the infinite, that way he can keep his tokens around for value

They just disappear at the end of the next turn then don't they?

Nope, after the trigger only goes off at the first end step, after that everything stays.

>one-shotting every opponent in a single turn

gablin/10
i'm now calling all my goblins, 'gablins'

I just checked and you are correct

I need to stop playing with people that cheat me like this

Activating sundial while their EoT sac trigger is on the stack should do it.

I'm brewing him now. Couple of things I've found to make him slightly different than vanilla, though all Feldon decks are similar.
On your opponents' endstep you can use his ability and it will stick around until the next endstep. Sometimes useful for doubling up on a token right before your turn.
Rings of brighthearth, strionic resonator, and illusionist's bracers all work with him if you build accordingly
Feldon's cane and to a lesser extent Elixir of Immortality are surprisingly effective at protecting your graveyard in an emergency. Huge flavor win too.
Since his ability is the center of the game, only costs 3cmc, and he has an artifact subtheme, land destruction is viable. Just prepare for tons of salt.

Sup Veeky Forums rate my playgroup, I'm Orange.

>No text whatsoever except random bitching
Found the shitter

Thanks user. I take pride in being one of the shitters.