WIP Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.co.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ed.wikia.com/wiki/Jonny_2x4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any user knowing a place for a Forgeworld Venom Cannon for the Forgeworld Hive Tyrant?

On my eBay, I can only find one with the claw arms.

Im looking for a better lighting set up for painting, I always end up painting in the dark. Any recommendations?

And here's my wip knight. Based Duncan is saving my rookie ass.

Smart thinking user, they can't shitpost about churches if there's no base

>proves self wrong in a one sentence post

Finally about to start working on my Knight-Warden again after the darn thing has sat on my shelf untouched for several months. Notice the dust!
Just took of all the armor and the upper body and cleaned it all, but I don't even know where to start...

Cool melee weapon, where's that from?

now that's meta

I gotta put some basilica pieces on it eventually or wip will never think I'm pretty.

You can't shitpost if there's no thread.

Looks like that weird death korps drill thingy

>have people coming over later
>no room in apartment to put my shit away
this is a disaster bound to happen

It's the three drill bits of some tunnel machine from Dropzone Commander, some greenstuff and plasticard, and a couple of weird bits from the depth of my bitsbox.

Looks to me like you just really need to work on cleaning up the mistakes on armor plate/edges. Sit down and fix all of one color today, I believe in you, user.

No church?

Checked

Nah, the trim isn't even painted yet in most places, that's just the stained basecoat. I'll try to get that ornamentation done today.
Still, thanks for believing in me.

No church, but notice that structure in front of the left leg? That's obviously a monorail.

>basilisk assembled the proper way
goddammit user why you gotta remind me i have one shitty basilisk now

Oh, yeah. Zoom enhance on my phone reveals the truth. I like the color scheme by the way.

I bought it like that hahaha. I also have this abomination.....

currently working on age of sigmar khorne pinkbound, if people want pics of them and my Sunny D Thirster ill see if i cant nab the family camera and get a pic of them

I have all this chain and nowhere to put it. If I put chain on my contemptor, how much is too much?

center looks by far the best.

2nd one with the two chains looks pretty sweet, third one is way too much. 1st one is alright

Fucking...

I just noticed there's clearly dried paint on my brushes.

It's only on the lower part, not up near the handle or anything but.... can I fix that or are these brushes FUBAR

goddammit that one's platform is assembled correctly as well
i fucked up my first one because the manual tells you to use the flat piece so i have a giant hole underneath my carriage and it's level with the rest of the chassis instead of sunken in the hull like yours

gonna try and fix it by jamming it full of shells

The one in the center looks pretty sweet. Maybe put another chain around the powerfist?
The third one looks like he just escaped from the nearest s&m dungeon, which is also pretty neat if you're going for a certain style.

I'm going to disagree with the others, as I think 1st is not enough, and 2nd makes him look like an OG with his big ass gold chain. All he need is the dollar sign and he'd be good.
I dig the symbol in the 3rd, beginning of a hellbrute, guy put there because he fucked up too much and the chains remind the others of that.

>want to waste some money on new airbrush stuff
>cant decide if I get FW airbrush colors or just Vallejo color
>cant decide if I get Iwata or Badger

And dont get me started on the compressor, Grex, Smart Jet ... jesus.
I heard the Renegade Krome or Velocity is pretty good, but I see a lot of Iwata bundles with compressors.

Progress on the gangly arms and legs on one of my 3 WIP Daemon Princes of Tzeentch.

Bulking and shaping the arms and legs here. Letting the GS cure.

Why is Johnny, well... Johnny? Does he have any writefagotry or just a Veeky Forums meme?

>The third one looks like he just escaped from the nearest s&m dungeon
Maybe that was my plan all along. Here's one with some powerfist S&M.

I've literally had "do yo chain hang low" stuck in my head for the last half hour now.

Naw that's p much it, a mini that looks like he's listening to his magazine which people find amusing.

It's a joke based off of the character of Johnny 2x4 from Ed, Edd n' Eddy. Johnny has a pseudo-imaginary friend called Plank, represented by a literal plank of wood, whom he talks to and takes advice from.

Veeky Forums's Johnny spawned from the fact that it looks like he's listening to his ammo for advice, similar to Johnny from EEnE.

>Veeky Forums
Only wip meme and the guy might be handsome but I still hate him for making it a thing, holy fuck, everytime with Veeky Forums and overusing something

ed.wikia.com/wiki/Jonny_2x4

Huh, Johnny never clicked in my head with that Jonny. (possibly because different spelling)

My objective is complete then.

What are some good sizes for brushes? I'm looking to get some more and to replace some. I use 3/0 and 18/0 most commonly now.

>next to no FW tyranid models

I know I know, 30k sells, but god damn, they have the talent and the resources god dammit GIVE ME SOME NICE LOOKING NID MODELS.

That looks great. I'd go with that.

It's not even the pose, it's the paintjob that gives him that suspicious glance. Like "you're right, magazine, they DO look like heretics".

Well the model has a raised eyebrow, but yeah, the piercing paranoid eyes help.

What head did you use, I don't recognise it?

Made it myself. It's a recut of several of the regular faceplates with some greenstuff and plasticard.
I wanted my new Baron to have a bit more unusual gear, hence the drill instead of the reaper, this mask and a more polished shield generator (not shown).
And redone legs, obviously, but all my Knights bar one got those, because fuck those monopose pieces of shit. The rest of the kit is so good, why did GW fuck up those legs like that?

IIRC, "Johnny" was actually called Brother Craig in the old catalogue.

I like the z legs but more options would be nice

I believe you are correct. In fact, I think another Imperial Marine was named Johnny.

He now has more chains then an reincarnated edgy anime protagonist. Fits the Night Lords perfectly I think.

Is a respirator recommended for anything other than just using an airbrush and resin?

Working on 30k robots today, so much to go.......

Pinning the heavy large metal wings with brass rod.

been working on this guy, i'm not sure if I want to paint the arms the same red as the body, or blend them into black at the ends.
The reds a little flat at the moment so i'll be highlighting it next, probably.

It's recommended, yes.

Looking great since the last update! I think you should do a fade on the hands, yes. And hightlight those up to a purple-ish red.

I mostly meant is it recommended to use one while filing or anything else? I know while working with resin/airbrushing it is. Didn't know how necessary it was for anything else though.

can you give us a picture to show what you mean?

for hand files you probably don't need it unless you are doing a LOT of filing

hobby saws and rotary tools generate a LOT of plastic dust which can't be healthy to breath in

>how much is too much?
Depend, is he a loyalist or not? A loyalist would have chains as moderate decoration and a traitor would have them in excess because of practical reasons

I like that. I supose it really depends on the rest of his get up, As of now that looks swell

Is the citadel primer good or should i grab something else before i paint my nids?

it's really fussy and can screw up a lot if you don't use it right

but if you use it right it is great

just don't pay 17 dollars for a can

I've seen Chaos Black go on GREAT.

But yeah, see:

does anyone have any recommendations for bits and or parts kits for 1/64 scale hotwheels/matchbox cars?

I am trying to make some post apoc/dug out of a military vault and I need more than paint...and some guns

dry fit of the 9 gangly spindly multi forearms to the DPoT

Mortarion did nothing wrong.

i love the elongated legs

It works but for 17$/can I can't recommend them. You should look around and weigh your options

shaving and filing down the left biceps to make it more in line with the right and to give some space to add muscles/details.

How did I do with my first tank?

It's a testemant to the power of neodimyum magnets that they can suspend a model sideways like that.

Sorry... posted from my phone. No idea why it did that.

Alright lads, I've gotten down my fourth Guardsman, this time I inverted the colors because I wanted to see how it looked. I think it came out quite nicely, though I can see some spots where some colors got where they shouldn't have, and I still have an intense dislike of painting flesh, though I think I've gotten better with highlights.

I would also like an answer to this question.

Im guessing i need a daylight bulb for my desk lamp, does anyone have any further recommendations?

anyone know where to find a mega or torrent of Masterworks Miniature Painting With Jen Haley and Anne Foerster?

Thin layers of light purple in the corners of the purple armor, and yellow on the orange armor.

aside from the slip ups this is again an improvement

if your whole army was that standard, it would be better than some 50% of armies I usually see

Daylight LEDs are great. I have one lamp for general illumination, spread out over the desk. A ceiling light for the same. And one spot one for what I'm currently looking at. Makes a world of difference.

Also more knights! Reposed his legs. Got a knight remegade box and i'mm making a walking cleric(necromancer) knight and a zombie grave knight.

I'm going to get back into war gaming after a long break. Painting both Indians and Redcoats for muskets and tomahawks.

In the old days I used black primer on all my figures, but I'm not sure if I should go with white for the redcoats or even grey for everything.

Any advice for undercoating /wip/?

I used to do black, but now do white for just about anything. I find my colors end up much more vibrant. When I prime black it's very hard for me to get anything that doesn't looks muddy and dark. When I want a darker pallette for my miniature I now use grey, which is a nice compromise.

When in doubt I prime white.

Kind of stuck here guys, trying to come up with a scheme for this guy, a bunch of ork bikers on dark angel bikes, and some shoota boyz/nobs.

Idea was to go with blood axes who looted a lot of space marine stuff. Gear was gonna be dark angel equipment because those are the bikes I had.

Any ideas? Need some inspiration for a color scheme that would pop with the white and blacks of Dark Angel bikers. Other tips or ideas for cool things to do would be appreciated too. I can essentially redo everything on him, none if the paint is that thick so I'll be able to paint over whatever I want.

Depends what saturation you want your figure to show overall. If you want clear vibrant/lively colors, go with white, if you want darker/gothic colors go with black or gray (depending on how dark/saturated you want your colors to look like).

Anyone know if there are any miniature companies that make models in the same vain like this old chaos warrior or am I stuck prowling ebay hoping to get lucky?

>massive resolution blurry photo

Goddammit it reset the settings. Here's a better one sorry

>Idea was to go with blood axes who looted a lot of space marine stuff.
so you can use codex space marines instead of codex orks right?

I use it for spray priming, airbrushing, sanding resin, and that's about it.

You're going to need one regardless, no one in this hobby except people who play unpainted armies doesn't do at least one of the above. Maybe those weird guys who hand prime their army with brush on pot primer.

It's like $15 for a good 3M mask with included filters which will last you the whole hobby lifetime unless you huff all your paint and primer through it. It really makes a difference. You could just hold your breath and try to minimize inhalation but you should just buy the mask, it will make you feel better because you're going to breath in shit even when you try not to.

No, I gave up on 40k as a game years ago.

I just paint these guys because I already have them. Im really pissed because my wazdakka conversion doesn't even have rules anymore

Are there any pdfs for general basing materials, or better yet any pdfs for wetlands/swamp basing anyone has laying around? It would be much appreciated

Cleric/Chapel Knight WIP

>realizing I've been spray priming and sanding resin this entire time without realizing it was bad for me

Shit, I'm still pretty new at this, but am I dead?

I've been doing it for 2 years. Granted, the spray priming was done outside, resin sanding was inside.

I've passed a milestone Veeky Forums, after many years in the hobby I've finally painted a face that looks nice.

>tfw was doing all of it in my room until a few weeks ago
>for 3 years
i'm a fucking moron

As long as you don't do it a lot, for a long time.

A little bit of aerosol inhalation won't kill you, and you probably don't sand resin fast or hard enough to inhale dangerous dust.

If you can "smell" the spraypaint smell, that's not good. Get a gas mask.

In your defense, it's probably the fumes killing your brain cells and making you stupider and stupider, so at least you have that excuse.

looks unbalanced and goofy.

Not in a good way.

Not him but it looks like neither of those, that's the most sensible pose I have seen on a knight in a long time

Looks damn good, if I can suck your dick for a moment. Also don't beat yourself up over faces, your skills seem to shine elsewhere judging from the picture, so there's that

finished up my helbrute, could put a dismembered cultist on the base but meh

I'm surprised I don't see more of these, this kit is absolutely fucking baller and has pretty good variety. Has bits for all the loadouts I think, except heavy flamers, and a bunch of different head/chassis variations and some optional wiring

>The Knight is the Church.

Seems practical enough fampai

some gaurdsmen I've been working on