/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Alessian edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except Vehk and Vehk
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

To keep this from becoming /tesg/ minus waifus, don't post memes unless you are also posting quality discussion. Especially if it's not even Elder Scrolls related.

Previous Kalpa:

First for crusades

So what exactly happened when the Alessian Order tried to remove Auri-El from Akatosh? Did time actually fuck up for 1008 years?

2nd for NORDS

Maybe.

A L E S S I A N
L
E
S
S
I
A
N

Why is there no fucking art of Marukh that depicts him as an actual fucking gorilla-man.

Enantiomorph

The Mane will rise again!

There's hardly any Marukh art too.

Is TES VI: Valenwood a real thing?

I saw an image of it floating around, but I didn't want to go onto /v/ to confirm it.

I can next to guarantee you it is not.

You tried.

Bethesda just released Fallout 4, they probably won't have any information for TES VI for a few years.

Is this the image you've seen? My friend brought this up to me, but I dismissed it being that it's just the Skyrim Logo made from wood, and Fallout just being done.

It was a joke that linked to a Rick Roll. Not sure why someone wasted a prank on something so irrelevant, but they did.

Sheogorath is honestly a dick.

We see him being fun and clever in Oblivion and Skyrim, but in the 16 Accords of Madness he drives a man to insanity as part of a bet and tricks Malacath into damning his own son, both figuratively and literally.

On a similar note, in Daggerfall he is actually not one of the Daedric Princes, at least as far as faction organization goes.

Why the fuck would you think that Bethesda would say anything about the next TES game for another 4 or 5 years? They still have a whole fucking nother wave of dlc for Fo4 to do on top of booting out the last bit of their first wave.

>daedric prince
>a dick
What a surprise~

Peryite is pretty friendly. Every quest he gives is focused on saving his cultists from some stupid shit. Mora is pretty reasonable as long as you stay on his good side and give him the information he wants. And Hircine just makes people his incredibly powerful supplicant pets, and that panders to muh fetish

He's definitely a Daedric Prince in Daggerfall, and he is definitely in the faction files.

>LOL let's stab a Giant netch to DEATH with a FORK for no good reason
>LMAO
He's always been a dick, this isn't news

But he's never been a dick to you. That's what makes these stories about him so surprising. Even most of his dickish things in Oblivion were just...more like pranks? Making burning dogs fall from the sky isn't the same as forcing a god to barter away his son's soul.

And then you read something like:

>Wry without equal, Sheogorath holds in his realm giggling loons, flamboyant auteurs, and craven mutilators. The Mad Prince will ply profitless bargains and promote senseless bloodshed for nothing more than the joy of another's confusion, tragedy, or rage.

And man, it makes sense, but it doesn't sound like what we've seen.

In the notes of the Daggerfall:Oblivion page:

>In Daggerfall Sheogorath is not associated with Oblivion in any way, he is actual an independent faction and has also no allies or enemies.

He may be a Daedric Prince in the lore, and has been as long as Daedric Princes have exist, but it's also like how Vivec is technically a creature as far as the game code is concerned.

Chaotic and random? Yes.
Actually malicious? News to me.

The netch had no record of violence
It's a "giant" netch that you never see more of and never will again
He had you kill it just because
That's the definition of malicious

He very much is a daedric prince in Daggerfall and occasionally will override your attempts at summoning another prince.

>mfw Sheogorath and Shalidor's interactions were some of the best parts of ESO

How can we even know it was just because? You get the Spear of Bitter Mercy for that quest - maybe killing the netch was a mercy killing. Maybe he was doing it to bring joy to Big Head. Or just because he felt like it, not because he wanted to actually cause pain and harm.

Look, I know that he's a Daedric Prince in Daggerfall. He's just not technically a Daedric Prince as far as code is concerned. It's just an interesting little quirk - it's not like I'm trying to say he was a mortal man during Daggerfall's events.

It was pretty great, even if the big twist was pretty obvious. Also, Shalidor is a great mage, but a shitty person.

I wonder if his Law and Order alter ego will make a resurgence. Now that he's free and had plenty of time to build back his own realm.

No
fuck no

Yeah, I'm not going by what UESP says here, I'm going by the action FACTIONS.txt file. And you're misinterpreting what the values and affiliations in the faction file means.
See, Sheo isn't part of the Oblivion group, but that just means that he has no political affiliations with the rest of Oblivion. It does not say if he's a prince or not. The structure, allies, and enemies of group and entities are just how they're politically tied together, not what kind of being they are.

The FACTIONS.txt file does however have a value for determining what kind of entity an entry is, as defined by the Factions section of the Daggerfall Companion. As far as I'm aware, UESP doesn't have the type values. Their entry and analysis of the FACTIONS.txt file doesn't cover everything in it.
Now, the value I'm speaking of is called "type". A "type" value of 0 means that the game considers that entity to be a Daedric Prince. There's only 16 entities that have this type, all of them being the Princes.
Furthermore, the game assigns a number to every entry. The Daedric Princes are #1 - #16. Despite not being under the Oblivion group, Sheo is entry #9.
He's very much considered a Daedric Prince by every aspect of the game that I know of.

>He's just not technically a Daedric Prince as far as code is concerned.
Incorrect in every way I know of.

Oh, and I forgot to add:
Sheo also belongs to Subgroup 6, which has no official name that I'm aware of, but contains only:
The Oblivion group.
The fifteen Princes in the Oblivion group.
Sheo.
The Eight Divines.
Ebonarm.

Additionally, he belongs to GGroup (Greater group?) 2, which only has seventeen entries, these entries being the sixteen Princes and the Oblivion group.

So again, he's definitely a Daedric Prince.

Hm. Well, I'm man enough to admit when I'm entirely wrong. I'd be mad not to be.

I can kind of see why you got the idea though, especially if you haven't played Daggerfall. And I don't expect people to know much about this one specific text file.
UESP could use better articles on the subject, they're not the most helpful.

I wrote a thing on the Mages Guild in Daggerfall a while back, but I've learnt a lot about this file since then, and I'm thinking of possibly rewriting it with more exact information. And possibly do other writeups, like expanding on Knightly Orders.

I admit, trying to keep anything Daggerfall faction-related is very confusing. Doesn't help that I can't play it through Steam, so I can easily check UESP while I go.

You forget that Daedric Princes do not conform to mortal morality.

Also he is plenty dickish in Skyrim and Oblivion. Given all the very creative threats he throws at you, having a person be luggage, making everyone who commits suicide turned into ghosts, and executing some dude for growing a beard. And that's just the tings I can remember off the top of my head.

Hey /tgtesg/.

I'm getting back into Morrowind after a couple of years and I'm looking to play a character that would emulate the experience of being Nerevar as closely as possible.

In other words: What class would Nerevar be?

It's hard to say. Considering that he was a great warrior, but also diplomatic enough to unite various factions under his banner and act as a statesman, you might go for Agent or Knight.

You've got to have Long Blade, so Knight.

Unless Morrowind lets you get murdered by the three closest people to you in all the world, after you've fought and killed your very best friend; have them take the power you were commanded to destroy and use it to become gods; and have your life rewritten as shitty Vivec fanfiction by the boy-prositute you raised to be second in all the clans, I don't think you're going to get very far.

>Shitty fanfiction life rewrite
Wow. That just hit me. Makes me wonder if like actual historical figures were exaggerated to a similar extent.

>Boy-prostitute
Man, ashlanders will let anybody in.

Alright thanks anons, I'll rework Knight into being a little more like the Agent and go from there.

You know what I meant. That does put his life into perspective though. Kinda sad really.

Give him at least a minor skill in Axe. Nerevar uses on in the Sermons.

Really you could just give the Agent Long Blade skill instead of Short Blade. Maybe change Light Armor to Medium so you can have traditional Bonemold. Switch Acrobatics for something more useful.

>as shitty Vivec fanfiction by the boy-prositute you raised to be second in all the clans,
Vivec arguably did something worse. He literally rewrote time as he wanted it to be. This is a level of dickishness above just rewriting history.

He only rewrote it to always be the God, everything else just followed.

> He only rewrote it to always be the God, everything else just followed.
Yeah. But it is still a dick move. Well, that is expected from a God, who was "anticipated" by a daedric Prince of sex and murder, but it is still a dick move.

"Dick Move" is Vivec's fucking signature, the hell did you expect.

I want to believe that Vivec is running around incognito after his disappearance using Dick Move as an alias.

>the names Move, Richard Move.

I love the little things in TES games.

>Daggerfall actually has you type responses to things in certain situations
>Morrowind allows you to write your own custom description for your custom class
>Oblivion's NPCs all have detailed and varied schedules
>Skyrim has dozens of random encounters and reactions

> "Dick Move" is Vivec's fucking signature, the hell did you expect.
Yeah, Vivec is an asshole. Who the fuck thought that teaching this asshole about CHIM was a good idea? And then that motherfucker proceeds to create a new universe out of himself. I do not think that Vivec's Amaranth would be a good place to live. Vivec's Amaranth would probably be even worse than Anu's Amaranth.

This is King Helseth's Mary Sue custom class from Tribunal. Season to taste.

>Alchemy as the first Major skill
Hehehe.

p sure just alphabetically

Dagoth Ur selflessly fought against the Cyrodiilic imperialists for the freedom of all Dunmer peoples, and brought order to a Resdaynia tormented by the despotism of mafia-like warlords. But the Empire greedily saw this as a threat to business interests in Morrowind, and gave huge sums of aid and military support to said warlords. Dagoth was forced to make war with the Empire, already a de facto belligerent by proxy.

The Dagoth soldiers fought with unparalleled valor, yet always chivalrously, always fairly. The Empire, on the other hand, fought with scornful negligence of the principles of just and legitimate warfare, massacring hundreds of thousands of innocent Dagoth civilians in a ruthless campaign of raids and, most atrociously, deploying the Tools of Kagrenac over Akulakhan, a barbaric form of warfare alien to the very spirit of Dagoth culture and morality.

Perhaps the sad truth is that the world is to malicious a place for a country like Dagoth Ur. If she would only have condescended to the same filthy kind of warfare that the Empire and the Tribunal waged, it is possible, even likely, that she would have prevailed.

In the light of history, Dagoth Ur is the greatest victim of Morrowind.

Are the Hist Daedric beings?

They're unique extradream beings.

The typed responses in Daggerfall are kind of shitty, in my opinion. They're all just riddle or password type things with only one correct answer and no reaction to anything else. It's only used in three spots that I can remember:
1. The doors to enter the chambers of Castle Daggerfall, where you need to say "Yes" or any of its synonyms to open them.
2. The door to get to Nulfaga from the entrance of her dungeon, where you need to type "shut up" to get them to open.
3. The guy in the final dungeon whose name you need to find and type to proceed.

Arena did it better, since it was more consistent about having riddles in its dungeons in the first place and there was sometimes a downside to typing the wrong answer. Daggerfall's just weird about it since it's used so infrequently, and instead of using it for anything cool or actually reacting to what the player typed, they used it in a place like Castle Daggerfall to provide a binary yes/no choice where they should have just used buttons like every other binary choice in the game does. Oh right, there's also the Daedric quests where you're expected to press the Y or N key to accept/refuse them without any prompt, but that's easy to forgive since they didn't really have room for the buttons.

I live in Morrowind, and it fucking sucks. I made a thread about this a lonnnng time ago, but this bears repeating.

1. Dwemer armor and weapons are more expensive in Morrowind. The prices are ridiculous, and it's hard for me to justify buying dwemer even though I feel it's important for fans to make an effort to support the industry.

2. If you are a girl, you will be groped and treated like shit. I have had men grab my ass in public *7* different times in the past year and a half. My Dunmer friends say that women should just grit their teeth and bear it, since if you try to do something about it you will be publicly shamed. I also feel dirty and pathetic when these incidents occur.

3. Guild culture in Morrowind is...intense. You are expected to show up at social gatherings even if you do not want to. And at these social gatherings people have the EXACT SAME CONVERSATIONS AGAIN AND AGAIN. I've had like 50 conversations about having seen a mudcrab the previous day. You have to say "good morning" every day in a very specific way, and if you don't then someone will approach you and tell you that's not how things are done at the XYZ's guild.

4. The people treat outlanders like shit. Even the ones who try to be nice come across as condescending and rude by Cyrodiilic standards. There are also a large number of Dunmer men who think outlander women are sluts and that they can get you to open your legs at the drop of a hat. Fuckers.

I wish all the Morrohiles could actually visit GLORIOUS RESDAYNIA. They'd change their tune.

Gavin?

No, I'm user.

Purge the n'wah scum.

Well, you really know your Daggerfall. Maybe you're interested in following Daggerfall Unity's development if you don't already, the guy posts lots of technical updates that cover those aspects.
Also, hello.

Pls no

bitter coast not your cup of (canis root) tea?

I don't care much for Skywind but their art is neat

Yeah fanfic is pretty neat said nobody ever

Large image dumps space responses and kill conversation. The images are great, by the way.

You're pretty neat said me right now

Don't you think that Vivec is way neater than the ingame version? The cantons are way more unique

>Large image dumps space responses and kill conversation. The images are great, by the way.

So if the images are great but kill conversation I'll just contribute to the discussion while adding images right?

How powerful is CHIM? What can you do with it? To what extent can you alter reality?

>Don't you think that Vivec is way neater than the ingame version?
Nope.

>The cantons are way more unique
Yeah.

Is there actually any well written elder scrolls fanfiction? Not the kind thats about CHIM or whateverthefuck magic and bending reality but more along the lines of the infernal city novel
Like those forgotten realms/d&d/dragonlance novels but in TES?

How would that arena top work? Does it close or is it forever open so the dust and sand can blow in from the north?

I like the water walls.

The same way Colosseum's worked.

I like random images in the thread, they sometimes even spark discussion, but given how slow this thread is sometimes, a dump may turn the thread into a wall of images.

What official sources do we have on Tamriellic cuisine? I find it very intriguing.

Only sources I can think of are Chaurus Pie: A Recipe, The Red Kitchen Reader

No, ESO doesn't count.

>No, ESO doesn't count.

Then why even bother asking

Redoran Cooking Secrets.
Morrowind ingredient descriptions.

/qst TES adventure when?

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

Kiss

Uncommon Taste let's us know what Breton food is like, and dialogue in Skyrim also says that Breton food is some of the best.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an ESO flame war. It's just that cuisine in ESO is just real life recipes with real life ingredients, just check redoran cooking secrets on the uesp, there's an ESO and morrowind version.

>ingredient descriptions

What do you mean?

>Uncommon Taste

I knew I was forgetting something.

I really like how there's subtle hints at cooking all over the games. In morrowind people say rats can be eaten when masked with strong spices, stros m'kai apparently exports rum, neloth likes canis root tea. All those little details, I love it.

Don't forget how in Morrowind Dialogue it's said that Saltrice and scuttle are are eaten together like stirfry or grits, and that is the most common dish.
Also Muck and Slaughterfish scales are eaten, but are toxic when not prepared in the local manner. And how Trauma Root tea is very popular, and makes a relaxing tea similar to chamomile.
Morrowind's food is very interesting from a a Nutritionist's point of view. They actually bothered making it feasible that Dunmer have a proper and balanced diet.

ESO kiddies need to stay in their own general so don't apologize for doing the right thing.

You are absolutely right. Why not just make another general for them. We'll call it /tgesog/, and in it they can discuss absolutely everything we discuss, but dare mention ESO.
While we're at it, we could also start /mktgesg/ and /mktgesog/ so that way they can type the two letters MK all they want.

Tiber Septim retroactively removed the jungles of Cyrodiil from all history.

>Tiber Septim retroactively removed the jungles of Cyrodiil from all history.

You mean Todd Howard.

Trees are hard to render, apparently.

They already have their general on Veeky Forums, they should just go there.