An all-female army

This guy had some rather peculiar on why all-female armies are a good idea.

How would you justify an all-female army in your setting?

An immortal despot with no real threats to his power wants an army that is unlikely to ever have any ambition to overthrow him.

Amazons.

>rather peculiar

Everything after book 2 is very, no rather, peculiar.

>How would you justify an all-female army in your setting?
Boob armor is sexy.

Priestess, vestal virgin stuff. Some kind of elite warriors specialized in magic. Born and raised for that.

The men and women are required to enlist in separate armies to prevent on-duty fraternization.

Ants. All breeds save the drones are female, including the warriors. A species with such sexual dimorphism would merit having females do pretty much everything.

It's an army that belongs to a species where females are physically larger and stronger than males.

All the men died or the race is asexual but has features similar to the women of other races.

Yeah, in Dune's setting pretty much half of the human beings are barely even actually human by our standards anymore; they all know crazy bodily control techniques that turn them into superhumans or are results of centuries-long breeding projects that result in superhumans or are genetically engineered to be superhuman.

The feudal lord summoned all the man of his land for a campaing in a farway land. He lost. The only living adults are females, so to protect themselfs the women took arms, some of those, were heirlooms, others were what ever they could loot from dead corpses or that could be use as a weapon.

Eventualy the women managed to hold themselfs in the old lord castle, all the surviving females become the nations new soldiers.

Leto justifications were pretty straight-forward.

Less testosterone, less aggression. He didn't want so much an army as he wanted a peace-keeping force, and he needed to ensure that any belligerence towards his subjects from his own forces would be kept to a minimum.

An all-female army is superior in that regard than even an army of eunuchs.

There's also the peculiarity of encouraging them to act out their sexual frustrations on each other rather than the populace they were defending, in order to reduce the issue of rapes.

Yes, the point of the series that instead of using computers and electronics to advance, humans instead use extreme eugenics.

A virus or a disease that only killed the male population.

Unless it's like a slave army a military formed of women just doesn't make logical sense, since all it would take is one bad war and regardless of whether you win or lose you're going to get your shit pushed in in a generation. Small scale all female squads and stuff like that is fine, it's just that on the large scale risking an entire future generation is foolish at best. I suppose it really depends on what you'd call an army, if for example it's 40k and an army consists of a measly few million people then sure make an all female guard army, it's gonna hurt a little bit more when they get wiped out than a male army would but on the grand scale of things it doesn't matter. It might even makes sense on such a large scale, gender specific armies to prevent fraternization and preserve morale (it hurts when your buddy dies, but it hurts a hell of a lot more when your wife/gf dies)

>There's also the peculiarity of encouraging them to act out their sexual frustrations on each other rather than the populace they were defending, in order to reduce the issue of rapes.

Reeeeally?

It was also REALLY fucking weird and cringey

Leto had great ideas.

Full mobilization would be like 10% of the male population at most.

>cringey

tumblr pls go

First of all if a feudal lord and all his men die, the king/duke/whoever owns that lord will just send another guy with his own men to take it over. But lets assume the entire kingdom gets crushed so that can't happen, and now the guys they lost the fight against are invading, so the women take up arms.

The problem with that situation is that one of 2 things will happen. The people who wiped out the men will come for their land, crush the untrained and poorly equipped women and take it, or the women some how fend off the invaders at huge losses and at the least convince them it isn't worth it, the next generation is half the size of the previous, and the next army 20 years down the line pushes their shit in since they have half as many bodies as they should to protect the resources they control.That's beside the fact that if the women are playing soldier and most of them die, and all the men are dead who the hell is doing all the field work? The elderly?

What happens realistically is the invading army shows up, move in and start intermingling with the locals, and pretty soon all of the young widows have new husbands and everything is back to what stability there was when you were a serf on a feudal lords land.

No doubt, and the only reason it was "practical" was because he was an absolute power that had no real military opponents. His army was designed around a very specific need, and in many ways was more of an anti-army than anything else.

It works for Leto, but his justifications really only work for his own unique circumstances, since the ordinary drawbacks of female soldiers are essentially eliminated and he only needs to focus on the issue of "what is the easiest task-force army to maintain over the course of thousands of years?"

And, we end up with a fanatically religious, all-female army, which also served as a useful talent pool for his breeding programs.

try this

>the peculiarity of encouraging them to act out their sexual frustrations on each other rather than the populace they were defending, in order to reduce the issue of rapes.
you could do the same thing with male soldiers
take the Spartans and most of ancient Greece for example

Please, no historical revisionism in this thread or on this board.

amazons. They are basically barbarians in my setting and are technically a different race than humans. They average around 6' and are quite strong. they can only breed with human males and often raid villages for males to breed with, some tribes recieve regular tributes in return for protection.
It is a warrior's first test upon turning 13 to take a man as a slave and become impregnated within a month. Social status is determined by either enemies slain or children birthed. They remain with a body of a "milf" until they are almost eighty and they are constantly fertile. It is not unusual for a warrior to have twenty or thirty children.
It is rare, however an amazon might have a male child, only one in a thousand births. These men are small and frail and are infertile, however they almost always have extraordinary magical powers. By the time they are adults (again, thirteen in their tribes) they are equivalent to 5th level wizards.
They are descended from the first amazon, Aelith the demigod, a female child born of a eldritch giant that raped the daughter of the god of war. Two children were born, however, the other being a male child, Morath, even more powerful sister, but ugly and warped. During their first battle, with the blessing and assistance of the elven god Correllen, she defeated him and had the elven god rip out his eye and still holds it as a trophy.
He fathered the orcs of the world and took a new name, the one given to him by his children; Grummish.
Amazons are the mortal enemies of the orcs and will sacrifice their entire force to attempt to destroy them. They are great friends of the elves and are the first to assist them.
They are much less likely to bother a half orc, realizing that the taint of the orcish blood can be lessened.

yeah, didn't mean the stuff about them having homo-man sex to curb civilian rape, because back then rape of your defeated foes was expected
they still did the whole fox hole butt buddy thing

You are also missing that a lot of Fish Speakers are subjects of Leto's breeding program. He warns Duncan that even a single one could kill him, and particularly something to the effect of "crush his skull with her legs". The same guy who in his original life a thousand years prior could kill 17 of the guys the Space Marines are based off before being finally taken down.

The amazon warrior is equivalent to the standard orc stat-wise, but can't take wizard or sorcerer classes, they excel in barbarian, fighter, paladin or ranger. A male amazon starts with 5 levels of wizard or sorcerer.
There are different tribes of amazons, differeing mainly in military tactics. There is a group of barbarians, a group of militaristic, spartan-like warriors (the fighters), a group of religious crusaders fighting against the mechanations of grummish (the paladins) and a group of higly mobile zelots specializing in attrition warfare against the orcs (the rangers). The barbarians make up almost 40% of the race's population. The other factions make up approximately 20% each.
There have been 3 major conflicts between the orcs and amazons where the entire race organizes for war. They manage themselves as a well designed military, each group's tactics working together for support. So far, the amazons have won each conflict, twice handily, the last time barely.

a rich noble wants one. dont ask questions its just his fetish

Some stupid dick bag said my holy order can't have a standing army of "men".

a few thousand*
Something our /pol/ friends here are also missing is that in Dune only women can be Bene Gesserit, except for the Kwisatz Haderach. It doesn't matter whatever inherent disadvantage women have once they learn to control every muscle in their bodies and their whole body chemistry simultaneously. The only men with any hope against a Reverend Mother are Sardaukar.

I don't think there would be any logical justification for an all-women army in my setting. All the cultures are either primarily patriarchal or Egalitarian.
There are certain all-female groups within certain nations and armies, such as...
>A vampire lord who has a personal force women dhampir knights who act as his bodyguard, enforcers, and lovers.
>A dwarven military company comprised entirely of infertile dwarf women, who feel that being unable to birth children means that they have failed society, and so they roam the outskirts of the dwarf lands, trying to purge the enemies of the dwarves so as to contribute to society that way.
>A shadowy group of women from a desert land that have been imbued with magical powers and enhanced physical abilities so as to better serve their mysterious master.

The only justifications for a proper all-female army (meaning a standing force of more than a few thousand) in any setting would be a race with an absolutely massive gender imbalance in favour of the women (possibly even a mono-gendered race), or one in which the women are massively physically superior to the males, yet don't take advantage of that fact by forcing the males to fight for them.

and look at how well thats working for you.

Different sexual dimorphism, or advanced technology that renders biological differences between the sexes mostly or completely irrelevant, equalizers like extremely light weapons or powered armor.

"Because it's my fetish."

Jesus christ, this ruins my entire mental image of what Leto was.

He's a fucking giant penis monster with a doped up looking face. Holy shit.

Fuck you OP. Fuck you for killing my love for one of the best Sci-fi characters.

Wasn't a picture of worm Leto on the cover of the book?

Well, in the novel I'm writing, there is an army of all women.

Basically, the women in this culture are the only ones who are gifted with magic (this is actually a lie, men born with magic are used as what are basically magical suicide bombers) and as a result of this, the nation they are from created a fighting force of battle-mages that is obviously filled with only women.

I read the series back in highschool. It never had that cover actually. I think it must have been a reprint.

But still. What the fuck.

Wouldn't fanaticism drive them to fervor and violence, though?

They're a step away from Sisters of Battle in some sense.

The SoB fetishize BigE, they want him to bang them into submission and turn them into housewives.
Fish girls don't do that with Leto cause he's a gross worm monster

>don't you dare talk to me or my sister ever again!

In my setting women aren't inherently massively physically inferior to men.

The way I did it was have Not!Ancient Greece face down three world ending catastrophes in less than a thousand years. Each time they pulled through, but most of their fighting population was killed off.
Now, since the male population started low and their highly educated populace made for a low birth mortality rate, women outnumber men 10 to 1.
Plus I made it so the Not!Greek women were far less likely to have boys than girls because of natural selection/residual curses.
Now, Not!Greece is a Matriarchy, and is currently ruled by a sort of "Alexandra the Great" character, who is in the middle of conquering Not!Russia with an army of Amazons.
Best part is, the party played the previous campaigns where all the men of Not!Greece died, so they suspect nothing.
>MFW my magical realm was hidden perfectly.

Well, they would if they could. They're still dangerous, and deal with any threats to Leto's reign or heresy with extreme prejudice. They're really quite similar, except for the will of their respective Emperors: SoB believe that the Emperor wants them to burn the heretics, Fish Speakers know that the Emperor doesn't want them brutalizing the populace until he says to. It helps that Let's actually around to keep them on a tight leash.

Plus, don't forget that even then, they're super zealous. They jump at the opportunity to slaughter the Tleilaxu and Face Dancers, and would gladly do the same to the Bene Gesserit, Ixians, and everyone else they see as anything but perfect servants of their God.

Well, or old-style, coming-of-Muad'Dib era Fremen. They carve through even Sardaukar like soft cheese.

why she got two tits?

GO TO HELL
O

T
O

H
E
L
L

I would have a female army that would be genetically altered heavily. Their breasts would contain combat drugs, extra armor, or a special paste that reduces how far the bullet goes into her body, Alter the vagina so that both types of excrement can come out of the front, their armor would have a tube or slot that deposit their shit on the ground so they don't have to worry about going to the bathroom normally so they can continue fighting. Make them genetically stronger than men, and implant military training, tactics and data into their brains.

I have tons more to add, but it is mostly fluff. Have I thought about this a lot? Yes.

Um.... Why do their primary modifications have to do with their reproductive system? Why not revamp their skeletal or muscular systems?
Hell, why not just replace their skin with a bulletproof material?

Is it because of boners?

Didn't the OTHER God Emporer have an all female army during the early part of the great crusade called geno-something or other?

That or whatever the fuck Miles Teg was.

So like, does the army not fight for 3-5 days each month?

Cause we REALLY want to kill off our breeding population

Given anything but pre modern style armies, armed forces often make up a small fraction of the total population, even considering things like drafts and the like.

If the entire US army was female and every single one of them died tomorrow, it wouldn't even make a dent in the population, for example.

It's been a while since I read God Emporer of Dune.

Wasn't the reason for having all-female armies (were they called Fish Speakers or something?) because they showed more restraint and were way less likely to rape after conquest?

Here's the secret behind the Fish-Speakers.

Leto II did it become he was butthurt. Butthurt for two reasons.

1. A small force of Sardaukar led by a Duncan Idaho Ghola nearly killed him with an Ixian stoneburner, and

2. The Fedaykin death commandos defending him were completely humiliated by this smaller force of Sardaukar.

Yes, that's right. In exile, the Sarduakar became incredibly hardcore, while the Fremen became soft and weak.

>Sent on a mission to observe the remnants of House Corrino on Salusa Secundus in 11100, Duncan fell under the spell of Ancas Aramsham, the great-great-granddaughter of Captain Aramsham, and a Bene Gesserit of secret rank and a Bene Gesserit of secret rank in the tradition of Margot Lady Fenring. One of the leaders of a militant group of Sardukar, the "Final Force," originally sounded by her fanatical ancestor, and Ancas easily seduced Duncan and convinced him that he could serve the true Atreides' tradition only by accomplishing the death of Leto II. with the resources of Duncan's ever-superb military mind and the suport of the Bene Gesserit, and the "Final Force" nearly breached Leto's iner sanctum with every intention of assasinating him with a stone burner supplied by the willing Ixians. Fortunately, many Fremen still qualified as Fedaykin. They killed most of the Sarduakar, but without their legendary success of the days of Paul Muad'Dib. In fact, even thought the Fedaykin outnumbered the Sarduakar, it was necessary for Leto himself to kill Duncan and the five remaining members of the "Final Force".

Only the elves do it. They are built differently than humans.

See

No, it is not because of boners. Here is the reasons why

1.I don't want them to be modified too much or they will stop thinking they are human and be more reluctant to protect earth and humans.

2.Plus I want them to cloned at a large scale(400,000), having every soldier with a ridiculous amount of modification would cost way too much money and would hurt public opinion about the program.

3.I am not against modification that makes them stronger and agile. The modifications need to be done so that they look like semi-muscular women.

Finally, after a certain age the cloned soldiers will have the option to retire and live a life just like other humans.. she may also have the option to have reproductive organs that actually work.(albeit if she had a kid it would be like a normal human though)

>That filename.

Someone used my pic and filename! This pleases me!

I read a fantasy series once where a nation had an all-female army because, in the near-past, a race of ethereal succubus-like elves were the dominant species, and they had the preternatural ability to control. So the women, who were immune, rose up and wiped the succubus-elves out, and then they established a ruling all-female warrior and bureaucracy caste with men as housewives and textile workers.

I thought it was pretty neat, because not only did the all-female warrior shit have a (semi-)reasonable origin, but it also showed them struggling to match the military prowess of their all-male warrior neighbors.

So to answer your question:
Magic.

The Bene Gesserit must have gotten fucked so hard they were coughing up their own ovaries after that, because by the time of God Emperor their relationship with Leto II was "Figure out what he wants us to do and do it as quickly as possible".

Eh, i don't even see the need to modify humans at all.
We work fine. Just build better warmachines around us.

Well, he still keeps the Ixians and Tleilaxu around, despite everything.

I'm sure denying them some spice for a few years was punishment enough.

He needs someone to be able to make the ships for the scattering, and the artificial spice when he dies.

What's with the smug look on these fucks' faces?

>If the entire US army was female and every single one of them died tomorrow, it wouldn't even make a dent in the population
But would losing. That many women put a dent in the birth rate?

>The only men with any hope against a Reverend Mother are Sardaukar.

I don't think so. Reverend Mothers are physically superior to any normal human of their time, having complete muscle control, efficient minds, generations of experience, prescience and Voice at their disposal. They have enough physical control to manipulate fertilization and arrest aging if they wanted. The only creature able to kill a Reverend Mother in melee combat was an Honored Matres and that was because Honored trained their bodies to bypass the brain for literal combat reflexes.

where is this from? One of the borderline fan-fiction books Herbert's son wrote?
Because given that this is pre-No Spheres, Leto would have known the attack was coming through prescience and never really been in danger

Eh, I don't know about all that. I recall in Heretics or Chapterhouse a handful of Bene Gesserit get surprised and get cut down by a Hunter Seeker with little problems. Granted they weren't Reverend Mothers but still

Also I'm pretty sure even Reverend Mothers don't have prescience outside of extremely limited cases (spice trance, etc.) and they definitely can't arrest aging since Gaius Helen Mohiam makes a point of explaining that experience will replace a Bene Gesserit's looks later in life.

Really all the books say they have is excellent muscle control, access to ancestral memories, and Voice. They'd probably do well in an unarmed fight but against well-equipped Sardaukar with shields? They might get some hits in while the Sardaukar are surprised but that's about it.

real amazons were just a matriarchal society where women called the shots politically. They had mostly men in their armies.

The reason that they have an all-female army is because they're a single gender race and even then they suck as conventional soldiers and won the war by charming bigger beefer nations with men to deal the decisive blow while they helped by shooting magic projectiles.

>Real
>Amazons

Lol.

We had something similar in our last campaign, albeit on the smaller scale of a company.

>Women only permitted into battle as a shield-maiden fighting at their husband's side
>Inevitably, either the husband or his maiden would die
>If the husband dies first, SHE MAD
>This goes on for a while
>Lordship comes up with the idea of putting all these angry widows in one bigass group
>Army now has an all female company of berserkers screeching like banshees as the scariest shock-troop unit possible

>The Amazons have become associated with many historical people throughout the Roman Empire period and Late Antiquity. In Roman historiography, there are various accounts of Amazon raids in Anatolia. From the early modern period, their name has become a term for female warriors in general.

>>being such a newfag as to not know the actual mythology of amazons.

I don't know what bullshit you're spewing, but amazons as a historical people never existed.

greekfags pls go

>But would losing. That many women put a dent in the birth rate?
The projected size of the US Army is 1,301,300 (for 2016), total population of the US is 318,900,000 (2014 number). It would be a small dent, but not a crisis by any stretch.

>Women don't get pregnant so easily, it usually takes month
>Pregnency only lasts a few months.
>Male to female birth ratio is about 90:10

There.

Some genetic mutation has a extremely altered male/female ratio that /heavily/ favors the female side. Men end up protected and preserved for the continuance of the species, women take up roles vacated by the drastically reduced male population.

Think you switched those numbers around

cheater

Maybe a cult like personal army of fanatics used as terror troops within an urbanised population.

The existing forces would be a bit hesitant to use maximum force, but it would also be a huge psychological blow.

Hmmmm nah.

Sardaukar use shields, so they can negate a bit of the Bene Gesserit training.
Fremen don't, they just rely on speed.
Bene Gesserit do speed better than anyone else.

It's army of ant-people. Males are semen bags for queen, fightin' tournaments and shit. Females are either queens or the rest of the hive (including soldier ants.).

Lions. The women do the hunting for the males, evolves into organized armies.

What did you guys think life after WWI and WWII was like? An unlimited fuck fest where one man impregnated his own wife plus the widows of all of his platoon-mates?

The "without women at home making babies the country dies" meme is something Hitler made up to justify selective breeding. In reality no more than 10% of the population has ever been engaged in a war, and the 90% at home repopulated.

> except for the Kwisatz Haderach
Later in the books, before the son took over and it all went to shit, but after the dad started floundering and running out of ideas, it went from "THE" Kwisatz Haderach, to "A" Kwisatz Haderach, to "YET ANOTHER" Kwisatz Haderach. They started to become quite common, to the point that even a cloned Paul and/or Leto2 needed to be genetically upgraded to keep up with baseline humanity.

Tell that to Russia post World Wars where the female / male ratios was 2:1 and the birthrate dropped vastly because there were no men of marriageable age for a generation and a half.

>It helps that Let's actually around to keep them on a tight leash.
It's strongly hinted at, before Brian Herbert changed everything to "AI's did it," that a post-emperor's-death branch of Fish Speakers who liberated some "female" Tleilaxu became the Honored Matres, who basically are a whole lot like the SOB.

Leto wasn't even the second Kwisatz Haderach, the Tleilaxu managed to clone one, they just couldn't tame it and I think it was implied it became nihilistic and died.

This was in the second or third book, so the idea of more Haderachs was always Frank's idea.

Everyone has cyborg bodies anyway so it really makes no difference.

It always cracked me up that this was his justification yet when the almer matres appeared, they were near unstoppable. Goes to show he was either bullshitting or wrong.

I don't. readers just gonna deal with it.

Enemy culture considers death by a hand of a woman a disgrace.

yes and he explained the origin of the word you dumb shit.

>city-state has no large scale army, only navy
>only land-based units are skirmishers and scouts
>"men don't know shit about boats, they can't come with us on our pirating trips"

EZ

The Space Mary augmentation turns you into a women with the power of asexual reproduction and genetic memory.
These give birth in litters that age rapidly and a small squad behind enemy lines can quickly turn into a huge nuisance.

How would goblinoids do first contact with black humans?