Warhammer 40000 general

Shitposting free edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)

mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>White Dwarves

mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/g7gu5nz71g9bhno/Orks BSR.bsr?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So are devastators ever worth using outside of Skyhammer or should I just not bother?

they are worth it

With what loadout?

Seems heavy bolters would only be good against horde armies with Imperial Fists tactics.

Maybe lascannons I guess?

3rd for 3rd

How do you guys deal with getting rid of recasts? I have a Blood Angels army that I am trying to sell. While most of it is GW plastic, a significant portion is recast. I don't want to sell it on eBay and lie to anyone about what they're made of, and at the same time I don't want to get reported to the tabletop gestapo

So 40k General, what 40k related stuff are you doing this weekend? What are you working on? Who/what are you playing? Or maybe you're just fluffing out a unique character for your army.
Whatever it is, tell me about it.

Rate this deal, Veeky Forums:

10x Mandrakes
12x Grotesques
8x Scourges

Ran me $25 total and sets me up with enough mans to run 2 full Grotesqueries and now 3 squads of Scourges. The Mandrakes are just icing on the cake.

Turbo penetrator is 2+/4+ to hit, 4+ to wound but then inflicts D3 wounds to the model. The chances of killing a single wound model with it are about 45% while hellfire is 76%.

I don't play regular marines, but most take missile launchers or lascannons. Depends on the rest of your list really. Don't take plasma cannons though.

I actually managed to crank out the fluff for my Tau the other day. Cleaned my desk while I wait for my large Dark Eldar order to get here. Still have some Tau stuff, Kaldor Draigo, and my newer Dark Eldar stuff to paint, but I really don't want to right now.

Wow, I actually managed to get in early this time.
Sup guys, newbie here with a 500 point Blood Angels army. I've got a captain, a furioso dreadnought in a drop pod, and two 5-man tactical squads. I'm looking for suggestions on how to kit them out for 500 point games until I can afford some more models. The first purchase I was going to make is either a Death Company squad, unless I get some suggestions otherwise.
Here's how I've got them kitted now:
Captain: Valour's Edge, Jump pack, artificer armor.
Dreadnought: Frag cannon, heavy flamer, power fist, magna-grapple, drop pod
Tac Squads are identical: vanilla marines with veteran sergeants, each with a power sword.

Nothing because my best friend has my models and is painting them for me.

So I'm just sitting at home trying to decide how to change my chapter's fluff because I don't think they're working out as Imperial Fists successors right now.

Well, perhaps we can help you. Tell us about your chapter. And why don't you think they work as IF successors

...Fortress? What are you using that has four more emplaced heavy bolters facing one direction? Because I would want that.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Choas Terminator squad, last bits of assembly and getting them on bases.

It's only a 3 man squad though, which means I've got 2 more models in the box and nothing to do with them

I've got a large backlog of stuff, so I've been trying to work my way through it recently.

Just say you got it second hand and its possible/probable recast.

That's a goddamn steal.
They look like they need a bit fixing up, but that many models and of that vintage for only $25 is amazing.

As far as I'm aware, and someone who actually knows blood angels feel free to jump in, but I was under the impression that blood angel tactical squads should totally roll with flamers and heavy flamers.

Making a model for my vigilator so I don't have to proxy anymore. He's got legs from Death Company, Shoulderpads from a vanguard and sternguard set, helmet from deathwing black knights, cape from commander set, sternguard heavy bolter..

*takes a deep breath*
Purity seals from a grey knight paladin seat, laser PEQ from anvil industries, and his base is a metric ton of bolt shell casings also from anvil, with one leg propped up on a sprue block.

I haven't decided on a name yet. But the model's total height is easilly double that of a tac marine, and he's now the most distinctive model in my collection

Check your math. 2+/4+ is (5/6)+(3/6)*(1/6). That's a 91.67% chance of hitting a target. Hellfire rounds have a 5/6 chance of wounding, so that makes 76.4% chance of wounding.

Turbo-pen have the same chance of hitting, then cause D3 wounds at the usual 3/6 chance of wounding. The average of D3 is 2, so it's .9167*(3/6)*2, which equals 91.67% chance of wounding, as was stated.

Lastly, there is nothing that says it's D3 wounds to the model. It says target, which means it is allocated to the unit from the wound pool as normal. The rulebook uses "target" to refer to the unit, not models within the unit. It's the same reason you don't use a model's given toughness, you use the average toughness of the unit.

Macro Cannon Strongpoint with 3 void shields and 4 emplaced bolters. Once I get the model, my idea will be to have a Swivel ring to mount HBs onto during deployment.

Vigilator has a HB, Dev squad has 4, and the fort has 4. That's where the total of 9 comes from.

I'm on my laptop so I don't have my full document but I can give a general run down.

>Imperium notices that a certain system seems to keep attracting tyranids so they decide to station a chapter there
>Chapter is mostly drawn from the largest world in the system, very medieval world, people these used to worship a Storm God, now believe the Emperor is said god
>Chapter believes the Emperor has tasked them with keeping the tyranids that keep popping up in their system contained
>Due to the fact that this tyranid hive fleet seems to only focus on their system, Chapter decides to lock the system down - nobody in, nobody out
>Chapter's captains also hold titles of nobility on their homeworld and are sometimes forced to attend meetings of all the nobles, causing lower rank battle brothers to distrust their homeworld
>Favored weaponry of the chapter is mostly plasma equipment but there is a tendency to deploy massive amounts of heavy bolters

I dunno what it is about it, but something doesn't feel Imperial Fist-y to me.

Also the whole "fleet won't go away" is more of an explanation as to why my best friend's tyranids are constantly attacking only planets in that system.

>Massive amounts of Heavy bolters
>Fortifying a single position

Sounds like Fists to me.

Well they don't fortify just their homeworld.

The reason they locked down their system is because they're basically locked in an endless war with the tyranids.

Tyranids take one planet while the chapter takes back another. Marines rush to recapture that planet, 'Nids fuck off to take another.

I dunno, I guess I just didn't think the kind of cat-and-mouse thing was IF tier.

They are decent with LCs and also fulfill a Battle Company tax and are cheaper (but worse) than Grav Centurions for that.

I actually ran that for my first three games, but the heavy flamers proved to be less effective than an extra attack from a power sword in assault phase, mostly because a lot of the other new guys that I'm playing are running Tau. Thanks for the suggestion though!

>Recapturing a Nid planet

Why would you recapture a husk user?

Sounds very cool. They somewhat sound like space brets, which is A OK in my book.

>I dunno what it is about it, but something doesn't feel Imperial Fist-y to me.
It certainly isn't. But I can't really think of a loyalist legion that would fit that. Perhaps you should go with chapter of unknown orgin? That would allow you to hint at being the result of using traitor gene-seed, but even then I can't really think of a legion that would fit that.

Maybe there's some big secret Mechanicus vault deep in some mountain or something, filled with...stuff...

There could be remaining non-edible valuables.

I actually explain it partially in my Tau's fluff. They essentially use them as blank canvases for terraforming research.

Putting together a Cronos. I'll probably basecoat it and that'll be it for a long while as it joins several hundred other Dark Eldar models that are based but sitting around in a shelf.

I still have several boxes to put together. Maybe one day I'll paint them. How do you motivate yourself to paint a massive army?

Sorry, I'm really tired and probably keep leaving out a lot.

Remember I said that the captains are all nobles on their home planet?

For a reason that I need to either remove or refine, the chapter is sometimes required to do whatever the other nobles demand.

So it's usually
>Oi! Power armored fuckers! Those damn bugs took me land again. GO FUCKING GET IT BACK OR NO MORE RECRUITS FOR YOU GITS.
>We will do so.

I could change it to something like this instead of being bossed around by dickass nobles.

I could do that, I'll have to see if I could alter anything to fit my favorite Legion World Eaters.

I set what I want to paint on my desk so that it sits there and guilts me into painting it. Like when I get really bored it'll just stare at me and I'll give in.

Don't Tyranids eat a lot of the terrain too to get iron and other minerals?

Not him, but there are many different reasons they could do that. If he wants to go really heavy on the feudalism stuff, which why would he not, space knights are metal and rad as fuck, then it could be the result of some honor thing. Like how Brets couldn't flee a charge without losing the lady's blessing, because being a coward and letting the enemy have any planet isn't honorable or knightly, that's for serfs and peasants and fuck those guys.

>Non-edible

Define 'non-edible'

I also have motivation problems. I want to paint but I'm always too lazy to take the first step. The few times I actually will myself into picking up a brush I usually paint for a good 4+ hours.

I've done the "leave your station set up and models out in the open" thing and it just ends up with dusty shit cause it's sat there for months.

Space Odin's Ork Codex 7th Edition Update!

dropbox.com/s/g7gu5nz71g9bhno/Orks BSR.bsr?dl=0

Here's the link to the BSR file for BattleScribe. Changes from the GW Ork codex obvious thoughtless 5th Ed. copy-paste shit-show that it was, with few exceptions are plentiful & numerous, so I'll summarize:

> Points adjustments (BS2 guns, FFS; Nob bikers)
> Accurate profiles (Super-heavy Orkanauts)
> Nerfs eliminated (Cowardly Grots, points bloat)
> More than 2 melee weapons for the melee army
> Double initiative dependent on LD checks & Fleet from 'Ere We Go
> LD dependent on numbers from Mob Rule (old MR back)
> Ramshackle Chart back
> Invuln saves back (Bubble Field Gubbinz for 10 points)
> Waaagh! benefits shooty armies by Twin-linking shootas that don't assault
> Fuck BattleScribe, shit's hard

Enjoy! I'm open to feedback.

Sit down and force yourself to paint one model. You don't buy, paint, assemble or even look at another one until the current one is done.

Put a sticky note on your monitor for every day you don't paint and don't remove them until you have a fulfilling session of painting.

No, you keep saying you roll the D3 before you roll to wound but that's completely wrong. You roll to hit which, if it hits, gives you a single hit, not a wound.
You must then roll to wound on a 4+ to turn that single hit in to a wound.

You know, rare and valuable ores. Maybe some tech stuff. Anything non-organic which the Tyranids wouldn't be interested in munching on.

I always feel like as soon as I start one they all need to be painted. Clearly the painted ones will look out of place against the purely black models, and so I just don't bother at all because if I paint one they'll all have to follow. That could be motivation if I ever actually committed. I'm also not the greatest painter but won't accept anything short of perfection, so to avoid that I just don't bother.

Good thing I don't actually play the game because I don't have friends or a local store near enough to be convenient, so the only one that has to see a 300 model basecoated army is me.

Nah, don't change it, space knights are cool.
Keep it being because that's what they're supposed to do as nobles/space knights, not because the planet is important in some way, but because fuck letting stupid nids show up the emperor's finest, and seeing as it sounds like they'd be a more religious chapter with the whole storm god thing, they would definitely not want to let the emperor down.

Is the stuff in that pic models you've painted?

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll say it here too.

You shoot and roll to hit the unit as normal. You then roll a D3 and roll to wound the unit that many times as normal. Then, because it's a precision shot, you then allocate the wounds from the wound pool to the model (or models) of your choice, as is stated in the rule.

You seem to be consistently confusing this with Destroyer weapons. Notice the difference in the phrasing here
>Deathblow: The model suffers a hit that wounds automatically and causes it to lose D6+6 Wounds instead of 1.
It specifies model, unlike turbo-penetrators.

>wouldn't be interested in munching on

That's what Pyrovores are for. Just eat all of it

I don't even field shit until it's fully painted, or at least 99% complete (base, all the colors and details and washes). I just need to add some grass tufts, blood splatter, and highlights to finish them.

I thought this would motivate me to paint faster so I can field a better army, but that failed.

I wish I was that good. It's a picture from the Dark Eldar codex.

After you roll to wound you have a wound which is then ALLOCATED to a model.

"The model gets to make a saving throw, if it has one. If it fails, reduce THAT models wounds by 1."
This is the part when you inflict wounds, rather than reduce it by 1 it reduces it by D3 as per the turbo peniteaitors special rule.

What do you believe the direction of a good ork codex would be? I often hear complaints that the current codex had no clear direction as to what an ork army is supposed to do/be.

If I had a way to force those sticky notes to stay on the monitor I'd paint every damn day. How am I supposed to play video games or shitpost on Veeky Forums if a fucking 4 inch square is blocking a corner of my monitor?

Another example of Destroyer weapons, which you seem to be mistaking this for. Notice the clear phrasing that, once hit, you roll the wounds for that given model.

With vindicares, you don't even choose what model you are wounding until the To Hit/To Wound rolls are already done and you have a precision shot wound pool to allocate from.

>How am I supposed to play video games or shitpost on Veeky Forums if a fucking 4 inch square is blocking a corner of my monitor?
Which is kind of the point.

From what I've read, they "consume all organic biomass until nothing more than a lifeless ball of rock remains". Meaning, they don't eat the rock itself. So if there was some rare metal, which was valuable to the Imperium but was useless to the Tyranids, they'd leave it behind.

It doesn't say that though. That is how Destroyer weapons are phrased. The vindicare just says that shots inflict D3 wounds, not "a model hit by a turbo-penetrator round loses D3 Wounds instead of 1."

Mate, no, that's just not how it works.
-You roll to hit.
-You roll to wound.
-You allocate wounds, as you have precision shot you get to allocate to the model you want.
-Saves are taken, negating wounds if passed.
-wounds are inflicted, this is where you inflict D3 wounds.

You're the one talking about destroyer weapons, I never said anything about them.

Cool, thanks user.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I could maybe have them be World Eaters successors and they go with the whole honorable space knights thing to keep people from realizing where their geneseed came from.

That might be too snowflake though.

it helps if you put it in a commonly readable format

He doesn't have a destroyer weapon, his shots are not strength D. I don't know why you think I think his shots are destroyer because they're not.

There is a very clear order of events set out in the rule book and because of the order of events you have to follow it cannot spill over.

I'm currently painting my first army, looking to get into the game.

I've also got a few of my friends interested in Only War, it'll be my first time DMing.

Here's a pic of my fourth model I've done, it's one of the $10 snapfits, and I like this scheme better than the one I was doing for the first three.

So I've been thinking of some fun lists to include my genestealer cult and a captured/infested renegade knight.

Flyrant
Flyrant
Venomthrope
Mucolid
Mucolid

Flyrant
Flyrant
Mucolid
Mucolid

Genestealer Cult--

Patriarch
Magus
Acolyte x 12
Acolyte x 12

Renegade Titan

Comes out to around 1800 without decking out the titan and I can always sub in rippers for scoring, what you guys think?

I'm bringing up Destroyer weapons becausse you are speaking as if turbo-penetrator rounds work in the same way.

The sheet says "shots" against the unit inflict D3 wounds not "wounds" cause a model to lose D3 wounds.

Destroyer weapons and turbo-penetrator rounds have very different descriptions for what they do, yet you act like they do the same thing. They don't.

I'm saying they _aren't_ Destroyer weapons. They don't work like destroyer weapons. You are saying they do what destroyer weapons do (one model is wounded D3 times), but they don't. They are described differently. Their rules are explained differently.

Metal isn't a rock user. Pyrovores are specifically there to melt anything that other consuming tyranids can't eat.

Tyranids can take everything that could feasibly be useful.

I don't know how you are missing the concept of turbo PENETRATOR rounds. They penetrate the target and hit the guy behind. Obviously they are meant to hit multiple models.

Or they're just referring to armor penetration, such as just being really good at getting through tanks or terminator armor.

Yeah, but there's stuff that humans would consider "useful" that Tyranids wouldn't.

Maybe there's an ancient stone monolith which has been engraved with the true names of powerful Daemons. To a Radical Inquisitor, it is a dangerous but valuable resource. To the Tyranids, it's just another rock.

Well, they are good at penetrating through tank armor, but any of the other ammos pierce any personal armour already with AP2, and shield-breakers are there for the really tough stuff like iron halos.

But with the right line up, you could hit two or even three guys with one of these super penetrating rounds.

They're not destroyer weapons, stop bringing up destroyer weapons.
It works in a similar way to destroyer weapons but that does not mean it's a destroyer weapon.
Just because it is NOT a destroyer weapon it does not mean it that it cannot be comparable to one.

You seem to think it causes D3 hits but thats completely wrong, it inflicts D3 wounds rather than 1.
If you look in your rule book on pages 34 and 35 it will tell you so.

Why would they work like destroyer weapons if their descriptions are completely different from them? They could have just said "This inflicts D3 Wounds on any model wounded" like other special weapons do.

And which rulebook? Screenshot it if you would.

What are your guys' takes on Culexus and Callidus assassins? Are they worth the points cost?

I was playing with the idea of getting a couple 10 man squads of wyrdvane psykers and moving them forward with a Culexus for a terrifying 18" 20+ shot s5ap1 BS8 death barrage which should be able to shred heavy infantry and tau big boyz. Keeping it alive past a single shot could pose to be a problem though. Or even getting them in range. It would cost 380 points, but I've seen guard players make dumber investments

Considering how powerful it is I bet you would be able to kill maybe 4 or 5 orks with one shot from a lascannon.

Are lascannons described as penetrating through multiple layers (or heads) like the rounds are? They do with movie marines.

I can't screen shot. Page 34 and 35 of the warhammer 40k rule book describes how to resolve shooting attacks, it goes like this
Roll to hit.
Roll to wound.
Allocate successful wound rolls to models.
Roll saves.
Inflict wounds.

Culexus is a dark horse anti-psyker unit that is well known yet never sees play, then people constantly complain about psychic deathstars despite the fact that they didn't even try to shut down the enemy psykers.

Callidus are waifus who need buffs on the table like most assault units that aren't a dog, wolf, or wraith chassis.

Actually, now that you mention it, you are kinda right, kinda wrong. I see where you are coming from now. Give me a second.

You are right in that you don't treat them as new "hits" and don't make 3 separate To Wound rolls.

You are wrong in that they must be allocated to one given model and the excess are lost. A successful To Wound roll then adds D3 wounds to the Wound Pool (the thing you were forgetting). That's the part I was messing up.

You wanna know why I hate Leman Russ?
It's not because of his boner-inducing penchant for teamkilling.
It's not because of his hypocrisy in regards to Nikea and psykers.
It's not because of his inability to back up his boastful nature (see his fights with Lion El'Jonson and Angron).
It's because immediately upon swearing fealty to the Emperor as the 2nd found primarch he had to upstage Horus and his LUNA WOLVES with his own superlative legion title.
Two "official" fucking legions in and we have the Luna Wolves and the Space Wolves.
What a fucking douchebag.

if, however, all three wounds are assigned to the same model through precision shot, the excess would be lost?

>tfw luna wolves had a better color scheme than sons of horus

I'm inclined to agree with this assessment. It would have been easy for them to add 'on a single model' after 'inflict D3 Wounds.' But they didn't. And everything else you said makes good sense.
I would say so.

I hate Leman Rids because of AV14 fronts and as an Ork player it is quite hard to engage them at range

It says, quite plainly, that wounds are allocated one at a time, saved against, and then the next wound is allocated. If a model is removed as a casualty, you allocate to the next. So, as long as there are still models in that unit, you shouldn't be wasting any wounds.

Flesh Tearers Deep Strike. Dump the whole ball on them turn 0.

oh my mistake then. yeah it is pretty clear.

Didn't Russ technically wanted them to be called "the Rout" or "Vyka Fenris" but then everyone started calling them space wolves and he just rolled with it.

>basically pulled a Khan but decided not to hold a huge ass grudge about the common Imperial not "getting him or his legion"

What kind of Guardsmen are those?

Most of them are new in the blister, the ones that aren't have all their pieces. The Scourges are only primed black.

I'm having a hard time coming up with an 1850 list using 2 full Grotesqueries, as they're extremely expensive to field. It's cutting dangerously into my anti-armor loadout and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

They're the basic Cadian models in my own color scheme.

Unless you mean the regiment, in which case they're my own which I'll fluff up later.

Get REKT xenos

Question for you /40kg/.

Could there be a deldar/corsair kabal that survived purely on strong feelings of love, artistic passion, brotherhood, etc? Like goodguy deldar.

I approve of your arbitrary reasons for hatred and rage.

Corsairs could but the whole point of DE is that they do the opposite of that shit to literally die. To do that kind of stuff is the same as slowly poisoning yourself or asking if there is a fish that can live without water.

Yes I know there's that one fish that has lungs shutup.

As a DEldar player... technically I think so.

Dark Eldar feed off of strong emotions to satisfy She Who Thirsts and prevent him from sucking their own souls away. The effect lessens over time though so they need more and more strong emotions to stave off the soul sucking, like a drug addiction. Slaanesh however is the god of excess, and that means *all* excessive emotion, be it fear, love, hate, hunger, ambition, any kind of passion taken too far. In the case of the Dark Eldar, their idea of pleasure and pain have sort of collapsed on top of one another so there's little difference between the two for them. Plus, pragmatically, it's a lot easier for them to sow fear and terror than it is excessive warm fuzzy feelings, and since it's literally the only thing keeping them alive, they're going to go for what works every time.

So yes, IMO it's technically possible, but I doubt they'd ever do it.

I thought they just fed on strong emotions in general (in order to sustain their souls and out-excess Slaanesh), not specifically evil stuff but the evil stuff is generally easier to come by.

Kind of hard to be a good pirate if you're into that sort of stuff.

Hi guys, I just recently started playing 40k, mainly with my cousin so I can field proxy armies to get a feel for how all the factions work. The problem is, he only plays Iron Hands with Land Raider and Centurion heavy armies (plus a Deredeo pattern Dreadnought he holes up in 4+ cover with IWND and a Techpriest for BotO), and considers Destroyer, Gauss, Lance, Haywire, and Graviton weaponry to be cheese, as well as massed Railguns and Force weapons.

How do I beat him (or at least not get #rekt) without using any of the weapons designed to his army?

oh my god, that takes the multi-army powerplay to a disgusting level but that would be fucking dirty