Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Alternate Campaign Setting Edition - Where would your character rather be (pic unrelated)?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
>pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/11ASaUE8N7KJo-atrXOPU-stFMDn6V5OaP1ZXG1w3koM/edit
youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvJY7_gyfw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Simulacrums. Someone help me out with these. Am I reading this wrong? I can summon a Jabberwocky at level 13 and it's just going to hang around?

What happens if the enemy wins their Sense Motive check? They see through the ruse, but does that matter?

He'd rather be in Ivalice.

>Lived in Taldor
>Travelled to Varisia for campaign
>Constantly reminds the party about how the Taldan horse would have prevented [current predicament] from happening in the first place
>Everyone can tell his disapproval because he starts every phrase with "Maybe its because I'm Taldan but..."
>Reminds party that common IS Taldane (in bold italics) when asked on why he only speaks common.
Oppara probably

>Where would your character rather be
Home

If you want the simulacrum to be a copy to take Someone's place it matters, otherwise it just looks like a fucked up copy.

Hence why Simulacrum is on the list of most stupidly powerful spells.

>Where would your character rather be (pic unrelated)?

Ball's deep in his love interest, probably.

Perfect timing, hi new thread. About a week ago I mentioned making a PoW medium archetype in the IRC. Here it is, docs.google.com/document/d/11ASaUE8N7KJo-atrXOPU-stFMDn6V5OaP1ZXG1w3koM/edit

The language needs to be cleaned up a fuckton, but in the interim it should function

> I can summon a Jabberwocky at level 13 and it's just going to hang around?
You can build one,yes and it will be under your absolute command. Most GMs will probably rule that you need to see one and even need a tissue sample of some sort
>What happens if the enemy wins their Sense Motive check?
They know its not a real Jabberwock but get the shit kicked out of them all the same.

While this is powerful, note how expensive it is to create one and even more expensive and time consuming to repair (100gp and 24 hours to restore 1 hp)

In her own longhouse, living the high life off of raiding and Jarl'ing.

>Be retarded wealthy wizard
>Build army of simulacra
>Intentionally fuck up your disguise roll
>Enemies cower at your horribly disfigured angels

I meant "Which campaign setting would your character rather be in?"

>It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only half of the real creature's levels or HD (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD).
That 'appropriate' is the real sticking point. What is half of a jabberwock, when you get down to it? Half the numbers and dice? Halve the conditions it applies, like frightened degrading to shaken? Should you just go back to the stats-by-CR chart and rebuild from there?

In the end, it's up to the GM to adjudicate, which is possibly better than the alternative of there being set-in-stone rules that would be easily abusable.

Though it bears mentioning that we may get those rules sooner than not, as Curse of the Crimson Throne featured a lot of simulacrum use by the BBEG in the final book, and it's on the way to a reprinting.

Alright, Veeky Forums, there's a small problem in my Pathfinder campaign that me and a friend are planning to join, intertwined backstories and all.
In short, what chance does a Universalist Wizard and a Zealot have against a Summoner?

If a Draconic Sorcerer uses an Elemental Metamagic Rod keyed to his element, does his Bloodline Arcana apply to the modified spell?

So my party needs... high int (or skills character), high damage range attacker preferably with AoE.

What else can I do other than a Wizard?

Pretty decent chances overall. As a Zealot you can beatstick pretty well and you can protect your Wizard friend, who can deal with the spellcasting Summoner while you take care of their Eidolon and minions.

Black Seraph Warder.

If 3rd party is allowed, Hawkguard Warder would be perfect

I am his friend, there's more to it than this. Basically we'rre probably going to end up fighting a summoner, an oracle and two other party members I'm currently forgetting the classes of.
This is more or less happening because we're evil characters vying for political power, and it would seem those goody do gooders are also doing it. What spells would you suggest, personally ?

homeruled int sorcerer

Craft helm of opposing alignment. Make them join you.

Or just Sage

>houseruled

Sage Bloodline, son!

Oracle, Summoner, Rogue, and Bard. My friend here is the Wizard, and is Neutral Evil. I'm a Zealot using my Lawful Neutral Social Identity to pose as the Wizard's butler and servant, while using my Lawful Evil Vigilante Identity to do dirty work and kill deceivers as my faith demands on the side.

Continuing all the Sorcerer stuff, is a Void-Touched Starsoul Sorcerer a good option for an anti-mage blaster? I love the Silence effect on evocations

Adding to this user what are the best or most fun sorcerer bloodlines?

Sylvan Fey Bloodline and vanilla Arcane Bloodline are generally considered to be the best.
As for most fun, I'm partial to Shadow for the free Illusion stuff

>Where would your character rather be (pic unrelated)?
Cuddling with her love interest.

Man, you know Paizo would straight go out of business if they couldn't fill every book they write with 20+ pages of new spells, right? They're literally not competent enough to invent mundane ways to do things, so they write spells and pat themselves on the back.

Empyreal and Sage are also situationally rad.

Oh, THAT kind of Zealot. I take back my advice, you're fucked.

Psion(kineticist)

Is it just me, or does Paizo seem like they want magic to solve literally everything because they, personally, wish that all their problems could be solved with a simple flick of the wrist.

Man, for how much people bitch about "swordfighting has to suck because it can't be better than the normal dudes with swords in fantasy books!" I'm kinda shocked how generally OK people ware that paddling with mystical powers is somehow both way more powerful and MASSIVELY more reliable than using magic in most fantasy novels ever is.

Basically the way I see it their notion of writing "mundane" abilities and writing magical abilities is that magic is magic; it just works, you don't have to explain shit.

They know martial arts actually exist. They know absolutely nothing about them except that they're hard, so they represent this, badly, by making feats into bloated monstrosity-trees so that nobody can ever be good at more than one fighting style, a thing perfectly regular humans in the real world can accomplish with practice.

How well would a Living Legend//Aegis gestalt work out? Wanting to make the related pic

Wait, what? How?

i wouldn't psychoanalyze too much

the simplest explanation is the best, and the simple explanation is that writing spells is easy and fine-tuned balance is hard

He thought you meant the PoW:E Zealot, a tanky support class that uses/shares maneuvers with the party.

The Zealot Vigilante is, iirc, the 6th-level divine casting Vigilante, which is probably just another take on the Inquisitor I wouldn't know, I didn't read most of UI in disgust.

You shouldn't gestalt the SAME CLASS...
If I was you I'd gestalt Aegis or Living Legend with Reactor Knight. However if you wanted full iron-man with a higher amount of firepower than Rescue, then you'd combine Warsoul instead.

Tattooed Sorcerer Archetype is a straight upgrade for a few bloodlines, though that isn't exactly what you asked. Draconic and the normal Fey bloodlines are my favorites, but the two main things I would even play a sorcerer for are elemental blasting and being a kitsune fey sorcerer for that massive charm DC.

>same class
Living Legend is Soulknife. Host of Heroes is the Aegis version.

>You shouldn't gestalt the SAME CLASS...

If they had any integrity, they'd make the effort. Leaving every single non-casting class in the game behind because M-MUH BLOGREADING TIME and general lack of interest in letting everyone have interesting options is bullshit.

Living Legend is a Soulknife archetype.

>Make it thirty. I still wouldn't care, but at least it'd be impressive.

Ah, I see Sarda's been to an archer vs wizard fight in PF before.

What everyone else said, Living Legend is the soulknife version. Gets me some nice AoE potential with the archmage blade skill and concept. Aegis can also get initiating through customizations, Although would it work better to do something like a soulknife/aegis/awakened blade//hawkguard warder?

So what the hell do we do against this Summoner?

Kill him until he dies from it.

Protect your Wizard friend as much as possible, and hope he can deal with the Summoner on his own, because a Vigilante is not going to have anything on a well-prepared Summoner.

>a well-prepared Summoner

But user!

Summoners are spontaneous casters.

That doesn't mean they can't prepare for a situation they know about in advance.

@Binder of Legacies user
I'm liking this archetype. It's SUPER unfinished and obviously needs a lot of clean up, but you've managed to grab most of the good feel that came with the Harrow Medium while still implementing PoW mechanics.

Good work.

Well, excuuuse me, mister No Pun Allowed.

Ignore the haters. I'd suggest you get hold of a scroll of blasphemy. The daze and stuff is nice if they fail saves, but the real kicker is the Will-save-at-minus-4 that'll banish the summoner's eidolon.

Have the wizard follow up with silence or something, in case the summoner's smart enough to know summon eidolon. Or just kill him within the 1-round casting time.

Check your facts before you meme about how awful vigilante is, user.

Zealot vigilante is literally just an inquisitor for casting purposes. Claiming that an inquisitor couldn't fight a summoner is just silly of you.

The problem I have with the whole martial thing now is that the people in charge of these rules assume it has to be either hyper-gritty knife fights (not good) or absurd anime scream-offs (which are also not good.)

Do these people even remember Achilles, or Diomedes, or Arthur or El Cid or the plethora of historical and legendary figures that were notable for being really, really good at killing people with pointy objects?

The only fact that gives me solace about all this is that DSP material for the initial Warder/Warlord disciplines hit that sweet spot between useless realism and childish giga-busting Chinese cartoon. Stuff like parrying blows, blocking dragonfire, stopping an army with your mere presence and more feel like things from folklore and fantasy.

Except some Western folklore shit is more anime than anime. Irish mythology being the go-to example.

This.

There's a reason the archetypal Yandere is named YUNO Gasai.

Because Hera, a.k.a. Juno, is what happens if you take all the worst aspects of the character type and then MAKE HER A GODDESS.

Greeks were some messed-up people.

Are you serious about that? I never heard anything of the sort.

Yep, seriously. All of the diary-holders characters in Mirai Nikki are based on or named after the Roman names of the Greek Pantheon. Same reason why the OP for the series quickly lists off all of them at the start of the song.

Go listen to the anime's first theme again, user. The very first lines.
>Consentēs Diī Iūnō Iuppiter
>Minerva Apollo Mars Ceres
>Mercurius Diāna Bacchus
>Volcānus Plūtō Vesta Venus

Just did. I learned something today.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvJY7_gyfw

Wait, you seriously didn't notice any of the reference?
Yukkiteru being Jupiter, the best girl being Minerva, etc. I mean c'mon, not even the literal Deus Ex Machina?

>/pfg/: Come for the Paizo bitching, stay for the anime analysis

>Io
>Zeus fools around again and as a result Io gets turned into a cow and chased all the way to Egypt by a gadfly

>Leto
>Gets banned from giving birth anywhere on land or sea so she'll suffer forever, so they had to make a NEW FLOATING ISLAND so she could birth Apollo and Artemis

>Semele
>gets tricked into demanding Zeus' true form and burns to death

>Lamia
>gets turned into a monster, forced to watch her own children die, and cursed to never close her eyes again, which broke her mind so badly she started eating other people's kids out of jealousy

And it's not even just anyone Zeus tricks or charms into sleeping with him either. I mean, look what happened to Tiresias.

Hera has issues is what I'm saying.

On a more Pathfinder-related note, Golarion's pantheon could actually benefit a lot from a more Olympian-like or Ogodad-like or even Aesir-like setup, with real family trees. So far all we've got is:

>Apsu__Tiamat
> |
> Dahak

>Thron____???
> |
> _____
> | |
> Shelyn Dou-Bral

And then the Dwarven pantheon which I am NOT making a tree for because character limit.

Honestly it was a stupid show and I just wanted to watch Yuno being best yandere.

I will freely admit that my entry to the Lamashtan Futa Rangers was heavily influenced by both Yuno and PSO2's Lisa.

How many deities has Torag boned? The world may never know.

Please explain:
If I have 2 1st level spell slots, I can prepare 2 spells, correct?
Does doing so mean I can only cast each spell once, or could I cast one of those spells twice, thus expending both spell slots?

Irish mythology should not be used as the exception that disproves the rule.

Hera was not a Yandere.

Hera was a stressed sister-wife of a man that literally could not keep it in his pants.

First one. You only get one use of each prepared spell. You may prepare the same spell multiple times, but it takes up a spell slot each time.

If you're a wizard/cleric, the former. If you're an arcanist, the latter.

You can fill each slot with whatever spell you want, so long as its the same or lower level as the slot its filling.

You're right, Ishtar would be a better example I guess.

GILGAMESH DOESN'T WANT YOU, WHY DON'T YOU GET THAT

If you're a prepared caster, the first one; if you're a spontaneous caster (sorcerer, oracle, etc), neither, because you don't prepare spells at all. Arcanists get the second option you put forth, because they're weirdos

She was the goddess of love.

She is philosophically incapable of understanding someone who didn't feel it for her.

Interestingly, Arcanists got that casting style a couple months after the 5e playtest came out featuring it for their prepared casters. Probably a total coincidence, right? Paizo'd never rip off WotC.

Who would be Zeus? Erastil has the fertility aspect, but would Abadar be a better fit? Who would he be married to, Sarenrae?

I don't think there's a deity in Golarion's pantheon that can't keep it in their pants. Nor any that are married, besides Torag and his waifu, iirc.

Zeus would be Zeus. The Egyptian pantheon emigrated to Earth from Osirion, so it's reasonable to assume the Greek pantheon exists too, and just never had a stake in Golarion.

Are you retarded? It's the same exact stats, just halved HD/levels.

>Erastil isn't married

EXPLAIN THIS.

"He believes in things like marriage therefore he must be evil chaoticgoodforever look at mai waifoo she has wis7 and whores everywhere because she's deep and has emotional deepness"

>(and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)
>special abilities
Of course "special abilities" in this case is ill-defined, but you're still flat-out wrong.

It literally says right there in the quote that "hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities" are changed to be appropriate for the simulacrum's new HD, user. At minimum, half the creature's feats and ranks would be lost. Special abilities are up to fiat because monsters don't have scaling tables, but they'd certainly be weaker no matter what because DCs and caster levels are HD-based.

>forgetting his Stone Giant waifu Fandarra

Hasn't anyone pointed out that it's a mite problematic that good women are commonly depicted with low wisdom in adventure paths?

>problematic
>women
>low wisdom

>[YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM THE PAIZO FORUMS. REASON: Being problematic]

>The Stag God fucked a giant woman and made Dire Bears

Rad.

if you are a wizard/cleric and you prepare 1 grease and one arcane missile then you can cast up to one arcane missile and up to one grease. you don't get to cast two grease.

The arcanist class is is able to do exactly that: he prepares one grease and one arcane missile, and having 2 level 1 slots he can decide on the spot if he wants to cast 2 grease or one grease + 1 arcane missile.

what you can do to not feel too restricted in your choice is to leave some spell slots open; it takes 15 minutes to fill in one quarter or less of your *empty* spell slots(30 minutes for half etc..), so depending on how you expect your adventuring day to be it might or it might not be the correct choice.

Huh. Cleans up nicely.

I realize that they're trying to capture that pulp sci-fi look, but seriously, why the navel rectangle?

Heck if I know.

Which book is this even from?

The Tech book, iirc.

GM Guide

Game Mastery Guide, actually. It's the example picture used for "setting the game in a different setting or timeframe", alongside Harsk with a steampunk arm-cannon.

Arm-cannon? That's clearly a tea dispenser.

That's a pretty sweet cannon he's got there. Is there any 1pp or 3pp to get something like that?