Princess Pillow Fighter

Last thread got moderate interest. PPF is a game where the PCs can't kill/maim anybody or be killed/maimed, and the GM has to actually allow the plot to progress and conflicts to be resolved given this limit. This does not mean that everyone is nice. Also, there are cupcakes.

Anyway, let me address the stuff that got brought up in the last thread.

>Why is there no article for this on 1d4chan?
There is now.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Princess_Pillow_Fighter

>Why 1d4 (as the mild random element on top of the main mechanic, bidding)
This is probably a good point and I will likely change it to 1d3 for convenience if enough changes that I release an update.

>PPF needs a setting.
This is tricky because I want people to have lots of options to design their own princesses, estates, and surrounding lands, to the point that you can have the magical marshmallow forest and the muddy peasant village in the same game. That said, Veeky Forums likes a setting. What kind of stuff can be nailed down without wrecking that? I feel like various warhammer things have hit the right balance between giving the players some shit to start with and letting players write their own details in.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Princess_Pillow_Fighter
1d4chan.org/index.php?title=Princess_Pillow_Fighter&curid=36298&action=history
youtube.com/watch?v=oVBJbOtEVP0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>1d4chan.org/wiki/Princess_Pillow_Fighter
The page has no text.
Will give the pdf a read.

Weird, I see text. Is anybody else having this problem?

I see no text either. I'm using Chrome, if that helps.

I'd say clear the cache, see if that helps.

Can you see it?

Page empty here.

Totally.

no text her m90

From recent changes, I can see the history: 1d4chan.org/index.php?title=Princess_Pillow_Fighter&curid=36298&action=history

>be op at home
>make 1d4 page on computer
>it shows up fine
>leave
>get on phone, try
>doesn't show up
>edit page
>text shows up in editor
>log in to save edit in the hope that it will fix things
>text is now visible in page even though I did nothing

I dunno.

Also: This is unlikely to be an issue immediately, but I suspect that "high level" characters will be able to stack buffs to the point that the actual bids are irrelevant. Right now when you bid popularity/stress, you add a d4 for free and then add d4 for every advantage/item/buff/etc. I was thinking of swapping this out for a system where buffs exist, but rather than tracking them, the person who has more adds d4 and the other adds nothing. This might be too much of a swing in the other direction, so I'm also considering a system where whoever has more buffs gets d4 per 10 points of buff advantage, rounded up. I'm trying to cut down on math while still making advantages important.

Also, considering writing the setting as less of a canon all encompassing wiki and more of a series of adventure modules/locations that can be thrown down by the GM when needed, but also give a sense of the tone of the game.

Because the wiki has been weird, copy pasting this.

Once, a long time ago, Veeky Forums decided to have a gigantic argument about the correct amount of difficulty for an rpg. Many opinions were posted. At the climax of the thread, user suggested that a different user who preferred difficulty below maximum play the following:
>Princess Pillowfighter the RPG. Nobody dies, everybody wins, and you get to eat pudding.
And then a third person thought that was a great idea and made it. The game is currently playable but falls short of what its theoretical final and best version might be. This may or may not ever be fixed.

Setting
PCs are princesses. They have estates and can hail from any sort of place that a princess might come from, ranging from fairly mundane settings, to The Ice Level or The Water Level. NPCs can usually be categorized as either citizens/underlings (comparable to nameless mushroom people), princesses, or heroes (comparable to Wario, Mario, Donkey Kong, or Bowser).
The universe is connected by portals which all lead to The Castle, which has no (known) owner but is populated by fairies. Only princesses can use the portals, making even the least impressive princesses important figures for their ability to travel easily.
Pillow fights between princesses are a sporting event that can either be casual, or used to settle disputes.

Easy Default Quests/Openings/Hooks
The players have been kidnapped together. An important hero has disappeared when needed most. The players must host a tea party. The players have been invited to a tea party that would normally be out of their league and must make a good impression. There are rumors that a popular pillow fight venue is rigging matches.

Mechanics
The GM is required to not allow serious physical harm to come to any character, using whatever improvisation and unlikely coincidences are necessary.
In situations where players would roll dice in other rpgs, players instead sacrifice either popularity or stress. If the player sacrifices an amount sufficient to beat the GM's assessment of the difficulty, they are successful. Players can also convert resources into a permanent but limited boost in a specific area, represented as an upgrade to their estate, a magical item, or a special underling or ally.
Royal estates produce masterwork desserts. They can be eaten for a small buff, shared between two PCs for a larger buff divided equally between the two, or given to an NPC for a smaller buff and some popularity.

And then there's a link to the pdf, and that's it.

I don't have much to add but here's a confusing image I found on GIS.

>Last thread got moderate interest. PPF is a game where the PCs can't kill/maim anybody or be killed/maimed, and the GM has to actually allow the plot to progress and conflicts to be resolved given this limit.

That's all very well, but it appears to be about princesses fighting with pillows.

I think most of the basic plots require few to no pillow fights. For example, perhaps there are some mean skeletons hassling the citizens. The PCs, being tiny princesses in frilly dresses, are incapable of taking on one skeleton, so they must throw a party big enough to attract a hero. Unfortunately, they keep getting upstaged by Princess Edwina. And if they do attract a hero, they need to keep them from getting confused or distracted without any actual enforcement powers. Perhaps one princess gets kidnapped by skeletons on purpose to get the hero's attention, but this relies on knowing who your hero likes. If your hero likes an npc princess best, you might trick her into a situation where the skeletons kidnap her so that the hero is sure to respond. It's all about working around princess drawbacks.

Made me think of this.

That's extremely specific and also relevant. Also, tfw Archie crossovers are actually that fucking nuts.

Do you not LIKE princesses user?

is the exploding d4 mechanic still in, or is it just flat d4?

can it also be Prince pillow fighter?
or even a game formerly known as prince pillow fighter?

Oh, hmm, I did neglect to mention the exploding thing outside of the pdf. I think exploding is nice because there's always the chance for the miracle crit, but it's pretty likely that d4s are going to be quietly replaced with d3s.

Reskin? It seems less appropriate since princes are expected to directly handle things occasionally.

Yep. Archie and the Punisher is honestly a kinda hilarious comic because the writers enjoyed the entire situation in all it's insanity.

But user, pillow fights simply stand in for combat. They are neither the core of the game nor the only feature of it.

I don't think it's physically possible to not like princesses.

More like Prince Pillow Biter.

I have text, firefox

>PPF is a game where the PCs can't kill/maim anybody or be killed/maimed

got your problem right there, buddy.

I suspect it's probably 1d4chan being weird about updating and it's fixed now, thanks.

K. I enjoy this costume because it is the fluffiest.

Important: What is the best princess hat?

I'm short on princess hats.

Ok. In a conflict between a PC and something else, the PC and the other thing bid a resource, and add d3 exploding to the total. All resources bid are lost, winner and loser get appropriate rewards/consequences. Which way of handling buffs is best:
>Each side gets +d3 exploding to its bid for every relevant advantage (magic item, character trait, inside information, etc) and -d3 exploding for each relevant disadvantage.
>Each side adds up how many advantages it has, subtracts the number of disadvantages it has, and compares the total to the opponent. The winner gets +d3 exploding to its total.
>Each side adds up how many advantages it has, subtracts the number of disadvantages it has, and compares the total to the opponent. The winner gets two points added to the total multiplied by the difference.
>Each side adds up how many advantages it has, subtracts the number of disadvantages it has, and compares the total to the opponent. The winner adds the total to a d6 roll and gets a big advantage on a six.

The dilemma is that the more you reduce the math, the less of a difference there is between a large buff and a small buff.

Fluffy dresses are THE BEST thing
I wore one to a con once, most fun I ever had. Wish I could wear that thing everywhere

I kind of thought that fluffy was not the right word, as it tends to mean "chinchilla textured," which isn't exactly right, but GIS seems to recognize floofy, poofy, puffy, and fluffy as valid.

Well I was talkin about really poofy dresses with lots of petticoats

The point is that volume is the important factor. More space = more room to fit royalty.

Should there be a rule that gives bonuses depending on how poofy your dress is, but maybe there's a downside to balance it out. Like movement is restricted or you can't get close enough to hit people because of how huge the skirt is

Have you tried to run while wearing multiple petticoats, or go upstairs? It is not easy let me tell you

I think this is handled to the degree it needs to be. Starting characters get two sentences to describe their relevant unique features, usually in the format of "She is [good thing], but also [bad thing]," or "She is [thing that is sometimes helpful but sometimes harmful]." I think that "Her dress is exceptionally voluminous" is a pretty good starting trait, since it has the bonus of making her resistant to forced movement, some damage, and gives her more options in some situations, but also makes her less athletic. If I were GMing I'd assume that all princesses were dressed in such a way that made them subpar at athletics, but I'd allow a character a starting trait giving her a more practical dress that made her less impressive. There are also special items that function like traits, so someone can upgrade her dress if necessary. That said, I'm definitely interested in your princess expertise. I don't really have any personal knowledge beyond google and stories.

>your princess expertise
kek oh man.
I mean I dunno how much help I can be. I'm just a guy who cosplays as princess peach and I owns a pretty good collection of petticoats and other more out of date accessories.
I'm no expert on historically accurate princess wear to be honest. I just like poofy dresses on occasion.

But what if someone in a poofy dress was more of a tank. They can absorb more damage due to their massive skirt, but they are much slower

I had been operating under that assumption

It had occurred to me. There's also the Mario 2 logic of having Peach be extra floaty due to all of those layers. I think it's up to the players and the GM, since it's also fine if someone's character concept is "poofy and delicate."

I actually have a question that's relevant to your expertise. If I were trying to do equipment slots, what should the list look like? How many things can a princess wear simultaneously? I'm not going to make a hard rule, but I might add a paragraph to the rulebook as a guideline for GMs.

>How many things can a princess wear simultaneously
I'm not completely sure to be honest.
Typically what I'd wear if I'm doing the full outfit is:
>The dress
>This sash/bustle thingy
>Petticoats (I like my dresses extra poofy, so I wear 3 or 4 at once)
>Elbow gloves
>Crown
>Pendant jewel broach thingy
>Shoes
>Thigh highs
>frilly bloomers
So do with that what you will.
Also you could have a purse or satchel bag and not ruin the dress's poofy sleeves depending on how it's made. Poofy sleeves are important.

Ok, that's a fair amount. I've added it to the update list and it'll make it into the helpful dm resources section when I update. Thanks!

Oh man I don't you should make it THAT detailed.
Maybe it should be
>Dress
>Accessorie (maybe 2)
>Crown/Hat
>Gloves
>Necklace
>Shoes

Well, it's not for equipment slots, it's more to help GMs come up with special equipment that can be stacked on a single princess without going TEN HATS EACH FOREVER.

Just like Maid I'll never have anyone to play this with. :(

Oh, and also, the fact that a princess can have a small amount of carrying capacity, but not a lot, is relevant to everyone's interests.

I know that Veeky Forums has gotten maid groups together. I mean, internet ones, but it counts kinda.

Aahhh okay.

Also petticoats are one thing, but you can also have hoop-skirts or these cage looking things to give the skirt volume.
Personally I hate them because they are really uncomfortable and you can't swish them around like petticoats.

I have yet to see it happen. I post in every Maid thread I see and any thing resembling group falls a part mainly due to no one wanting to DM or if we get a DM he lives in bumfuck nowhere and is on a completely different schedule then us.

I guess I never follow up on people's reported plans.

That's an excellent point. Swishing is important. Hoop vs cage vs petticoat is probably not worth differentiating mechanically, though.

That was actually very well constructed, good job user.

Thanks. I think any of the mini plots could be an ok session, and a few could be taken out of context for a one shot. It's sort of the opposite of the D&D "I CAN ONLY STAB" party.

Also, dumping the small amount of decent poof/dress physics that I found.

Poof 2/3

Poof 3/3

>not worth differentiating mechanically, though.
I disagree.
Petticoats are very soft and fluffy, wearing a few petticoats is like having a fluffy pillow around your legs, but it makes it kinda hard to walk. Also it's really heavy.
A hoopskirt on the otherhand, while not as fun and really lame compared to petticoats, is lighter and your legs have much more room to move about.
Though sitting is a real problem, especially with a cage type one. In comparison, sitting in petticoats is really lovely and comfy. So if you're trying to be all regal and proper, then to sit down and have your hoopskirt fly up would be really undignified.

So there are some pretty huge differences to em. Maybe hoopskirts and petticoats can be two different items with different benefits/downsides when equipped?

I wrote a summary. Should I edit it, and do you want me to credit you?

Princess Equipment
The standard Princess costume consists of a dress, a sash or bustle over the dress, gloves, a crown or other headgear, shoes, stockings, bloomers, and something underneath the dress to give it the usual shape. This can be either petticoats, which are soft but have a great deal of volume, or a hoop at the base of the skirt, or even a cage underneath the skirt to give it a very rigid shape. Petticoats are more restrictive to the wearer's legs due to their volume, whereas a hoop or a cage leave the wearer's legs unencumbered. However, rigid structures make sitting difficult, whereas petticoats do not.

A princess could wear a satchel or purse over her clothes, but likely could not increase her carrying capacity further.

The GM is not required to track or enforce any of this, but it may help a GM or player trying to represent a specific character concept, story, or piece of equipment.

Yeah that's a good write up.

>do you want me to credit you
Sure. Credit me as "Kat"

Actually, you could just credit me as "Peachbro" if you want. That's what some folks at /co/ called me
Up to you

I've put you down as Peachbro since it seems to make more sense to write down the name people are likely to recognize, but if you want to be Kat just let me know. Thanks!

Good news is that this reminds me to put in a mention of the guy who did art.

>Though sitting is a real problem, especially with a cage type one.

youtube.com/watch?v=oVBJbOtEVP0

Not that hard.

Crinolines are better than petticoats both for walking or sitting.

There's a really good reason why petticoats were basically phased out the moment the crinoline was invented.

;^)

I mean I'm not sure how recognizable the name would be desu.
It was one thread, granted a thread that ended up getting really popular, but still just one thread. I'd be surprised if people remember me.
That thread was really funny. I mentioned I crossdress and they were all begging for pics expecting a trap. I am far from that. Imagine Raul Panther dressed as princess peach. Fortunately they really liked me.

Seriously? I've worn both many times. I've always had tons of trouble with crinole
Also I did say walking in pettis is a bit difficult.

crinoline*
Shit.

>I've always had tons of trouble with crinole
Get a better one.

>Get a better one.
I'd really rather not. Already got rid of the couple I had in favor of my petticoats.

Huh.

Wha-
Well consider me mostly wrong in the petticoats vs hoops thing.

Still doesn't swish, so it's partially correct.

Also, you can be Kat/Peachbro.

The swinging of the crinoline causes swishing.

Yeah but not as much as petticoats. Not by a long shot.
It's significantly less enjoyable to swish that around than a buncha pettis

Royal bump

This is complicated. Update progress continues, though.

I still don't see how a typical game will flow. Also, what about big campaigns? Will they be possible or this will be a one shot game?

I'm not exactly sure what the first part of your question means. As for campaigns, I think I put mechanics in for leveling up and long term antagonists, but that may be a little bit unrealistic (though it's possible to acquire some upgrades pretty quickly).

Sorry for my terrible english.
I was trying to ask how will a typical game look like. What will the players do and what obstacles overcome.
There was an example here, but it is very blurry. Moreover all that skeleton stuff will last for 1-2 hours. What can happen after? Change skeletons to someone else, repeat untill infinity?

I suspect that over the course of a starting adventure the players will make some friends and enemies, and "Princess Helpful has fallen down a hole" or "Princess Shitfart is having a picnic" will be enough to motivate them to go on adventures.

What about other races?
Or is this in a more "realistic" setting.

Ok, replaced the whole +1d3 to the bid for every buff with something hopefully less time consuming. It makes stacking buffs give diminishing returns, and hopefully leads to some goofy moments. It could probably use more hilarity, though.

If a player or the GM makes a bid with more Advantage than the opponent, they roll a d6, add the difference between their advantage and the opponent's, and consult the chart, selecting the result they rolled, or one below it.

Nothing happens.
Add 2 points to your bid without expending resources. The GM will select a small, non-mechanical bonus for you.
Add 3 points to your bid without expending resources, and, if applicable, your character looks very good while performing the action.
Add 3 points to your bid without expending resources. You may take a small additional action without risk or reprisal, as approved by the GM.
Reveal the opposing bid and increase your bid if you wish.
Add 2 points to your bid without expending resources and gain 2 Self-Esteem.
7+
Automatically win the bid. Subtract 7 from your Advantage and roll again, even if you selected one of the lower options. If this gives you negative Advantage, treat it as a zero.

There isn't much of an official setting, but the source material (Marios, Disneys, Candy Lands) definitely supports it. It would kind of depend on the group how far you took it, though. I can see a game where everybody decided to play as robot princess/dolphin in power armor princess/skeleton princess getting kind of stupid.

>dolphin in power armor princess
I'm imagining a huge suit of power armor with a dress on it, just hardly fitting, ripping at the seams, while this tiny little dolphin head is just poking out of the top.

Yeah I guess it would make it TOO goofy. Maybe something like a single player being an animal friend princess or something else more disney-like could work?
Generic fantasy races could work. An elven princess wouldn't be out of place.

I don't think there's any hard rule. If I remember right I wrote somewhere in the book that it's fine if you want to play Beauty and the Beast realism levels or Adventure Time realism levels. If I were going to make a really well defined setting it would have most people living in fairly grounded places with a few weird spots, so that you can put whatever into the game, but there aren't that many blob princesses and cube princesses. And I think people commonly request a more official setting, so maybe that will happen. Right now I'm just trying to make buffs not annoying and the section on buffs written decently.

True true. Gameplay should always come before fluff.

I think they happen at the same time, since it's hard to separate "fluff" from "gameplay," even in the most generic goblin stomping simulator. You still say "We went to a cave and stomped on goblins," not "My stats did some stats to those stats."

Well no, what I meant was more along the lines of; it's more important to have the combat systems and basic game-play before you figure out the societal structure of the lizard-peoples.

Yeah. I'm not sure how much stuff on the level of figuring out the societal structure of the lizard people is necessary for this. I said earlier that I think I want to do adventure modules/stories/locations that give examples and set the tone rather than actually nailing down exactly what everything everywhere is like. Basically, Warhammer Fantasy/40k before the kinds of people who write wikis got a hold of it.

Oh that certainly seems like a great way to go about it. I mean I wasn't expecting the fluff to get super in depth like what I mentioned, especially for a game with a tone like that, that would just be silly. I was just using the lizard-peoples thing to show what I meant.

Also I'd certainly love to help with the writing of modules when you get to that stage. Me and a buddy were writing up an adventure for a Super Mario RPG game, but we ended up never finishing it. I still got a buncha ideas left over that would probably mesh well with the tone of this game.

That would be great. I'm currently throwing numbers at each other to see how GMs should represent exceptionally good/bad princesses in pillow fights, so I might not contribute a bunch, but I'd love to hear your ideas (possibly with the secret goals of steering you towards whatever might be the most useful, generating discussion, and preventing you from spending hours on a wall of text that does not make it into the pdf).

Update on that, I've adjusted the numbers so that a Princess with the smallest buff advantage possible on all the time won four matches, lost two, and got a double KO once, which sounds about right. Plus, mechanics take a very small amount to resolve. Progress!

Next round: Princess with an overall 3 buff advantage went 7-0. This is fine, it has to get ridiculous at some point. I'm not sure what "level" Princess counts as deity tier and what counts as peak human tier and whatnot, but right now small buffs matter without just being an instant win, and it's possible to get ridiculously strong vs little baby princesses.

Well it was mostly just encounter ideas to be honest.
Like take the classic bandit encounter. Well a non-violent fun version would be game-show bandits.
Three burly men leap out of the bushes, one with his hair slicked back and wearing a cheap suit with a mic in hand, while the other two men are wearing cocktail dresses and are meant to be stand-ins for those sexy assistant types.
They go into the whole gameshow thing "Welcome to Stick-Up! The trivia show where we take your stuff no questions asked!"
The players can engage them in a regular combat encounter from here or participate in the trivia and risk having some items taken away by the strange trio.

I think an adventure in this type of game should be filled with stuff like that. Putting a fun and silly twist on existing table top adventure tropes.