>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/46988409/5eg-dd-5th-edition-general#top

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Character options edition.

What character options do you wish there were more of? (Races, subraces, classes, archetypes for existing classes, prestige classes, backgrounds, feats)

Other urls found in this thread:

naturalcrit.com/homebrew/print/HJjNJz4-
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whoops, posted my attempt at a thread only a few seconds after yours. Anyway, feats are by far the most requested according to official feedback. So what feats does 5e need right now?

Alright: how do you build monks?

There should be a feat that allows you to use your two handed weapon with one hand. Of course, you need to have high enough strength to do so.

Knife master.

Is anyone working on a character sheet for Monster Hunters from the new UA?

High wis and dex, way of the sun soul. Kor from plane shift: zendikar are a good race option.

What are some cool materials to convert from old editions to make light armor with?

>Anyway, feats are by far the most requested according to official feedback. So what feats does 5e need right now?

That's tough, I want more feats, but I don't want the bloat of feats 3.5/PF have.

I really like the idea of 2e kits and 3e prestige classes being used to make 5e class archetypes, but looking at what we have so far druids could use some more options. Seems like wizards, clerics, and fighters have the most.

imo
- Masteries for Whip and Throwing
- A mastery for finesse melee besides DD
- More multiclass feats like Martial Adept and Magic Initiate/Ritual Caster

Tell me about your favorite multiclasses, /5eg/. I'm personally a fan of combining the CHA-based classes (Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock).

Why don't Druids have Alter Self on their spell lists? Seems like a fairly druidic spell, growing animalistic natural weapons and such.

Mechanical redundancy with wild shape; possible thematic strangeness based on setting.

If you're a player, talk to your DM.

If you're a DM and think it should be an option, stick it to the spell list.

I like to imagine it in the context of Druids as a partial wildshape.

I have an irrational pet-peeve against the sorcerer/warlock combination. Like you're such a special snowflake that you're magic-blooded and then decide you need to sell your soul for more power bothers me. I have no such problem with paladin/warlock or bard/warlock. Agonizing Blast isn't so awesome it's worth selling your soul.

Mechanically, I like Fighter/Barbarian and Fighter/Rogue. Evoker Wizard/Tempest Cleric have a cool flavor imo that happens to work well together past about level 5.

Is there an explanation lore wise on why druids lost their animal companions?

How important would you say see invisibility is? Is it one of those spells that are worth always having memorized, just in case it comes up?

Fairly new GM here, about to guide a group of complete rookies through Phandelver. I want to heavily discourage them from developing murderhobo habits, so I was thinking on enabling some optional rules like lingering damage (from going into negative HP) and possibly slower HP replenishment. Good idea/bad idea?

Slightly related, would Bard/Paladin be a solid choice for a melee support character?

>preventively adopting rules
HI Bush

As long as it doesn't let you TWF with greatswords I don't see why not, maybe it could also let you use a non-light weapon in your main hand when dual wielding.

As long as the paladin of the group has level 6 for the aura, I don't give a fuck what they do

Why don't you wait before doing that? That's like punishing before they committed the crime

Holy fuck I just nostalgia'd hard. The Terminator is such a badass. Here let me go crusading with my full Gothic Armor, a SPAS-12, AR-18, and a jetpack. Its like every mans war boner version of a wet dream.

I feel like something akin to monkey grip should have been baked into Shield master.

Dual Wielder already lets you dual wield non-light weapons.

Two handers are supported well enough. The feat as you're describing is basically +2 AC because you can use a shield. If it doesn't let you use a shield, the feat mechanically makes you do nothing of use unless you want to cast spells but have a problem with war caster.

Because then I would be arbitrarily changing rules midgame. Better if they get in the habit of trying to avoid combat when applicable right from the get-go, I think.

No there is not. I frankly like it better. Why have a beast when you are the beast?

try looking at it the other way, maybe the act of selling their soul unlocked the latent powers lying dormant within

Warlock pact isn't necessarily selling your soul. Read the book.

Multiclasses that have the same main ability score always seem more appealing to me.
I can see some justification for the sorlock. You have a goal or enemy that you feel is beyond even you innate magical ability so you forge a pact with something... else to hopefully get the needed boost while hoping the consequences can be dealt with later. I like pallocks that fit together thematically. Oath of the Ancients/Fey pact, Oathbreaker/Fiend or Undying pact, Oath of devotion/Undying light pact. My Oath of Vengeance/Great Old One pact character had a similar concept to what I said about the sorlock. He had a powerful group of enemies he swore vengeance against and kept getting his shit kicked in by them, so he makes a deal with a black eyed humanoid (Nyarlathotep looking like the Outsider from Dishonored) for the power he needs. His foe has support somehow from both celestial and fiendish sources so , the paladin need help from outside the normal divine power structures.

If you want them to learn to make proper decisions, teach them to do it. The rules tell you how to play but it's up to the people using those rules to figure out how to do it well.

Of course. But I prefer people figuring things out themselves. I personally would avoid combat more if there was actual risk involved. Sure, you CAN die, but that can seem unlikely when you have a team behind your back. If fighting meant that your character had a chance to be permanenlty disfigured, then maybe you wouldn't try bashing heads as the first solution. Also, the dying mechanic seems a bit black and white; you either die or you return to full health within a day which seems hardly realistic.

I have yet to see an actual player come to me with a decent justification for being a warlock/sorcerer. It's usually just "I read online that sorcerer/warlock has higher DPR than straight sorcerer"

I might be more on board if anyone actually said this. It's usually just "so I wanted to be a sorcerer but I read online that a 2 level dip in warlock will increase my DPR"

who cares? let them have their fun.

Because I will actually give someone something to compete with Agonizing Blast if that's all they care about. If their character concept actually has more justification than "I want Agonizing Blast," I wouldn't care.

>Like you're such a special snowflake that you're magic-blooded and then decide you need to sell your soul for more power bothers me.

"Hey dad, I need to borrow some more magic. It's a long story...could you wire me some? Yeah, mom's fine. Thanks. Bye."

if you will give something competitive with agonizing blast, then why not just let them do it in the first place? People are allowed to like what you don't like, you know?

>Contacted by a cute loli fey, given warlock powers
>Later finds a way to harness wild magic
>powers don't seem to conflict
Well, that was easy.

dad fucked a magic goat, sought out my ancient goat ancestors for more power.

done.

>Pact of the Goat

Both better justifications than the nothing I have received from real players, but still really weak ass reasons to make a pact with serious implications to get a better cantrip.

>What is roleplay?

One of your ancestors screwed around with something they probably shouldn't have. Raw magic left over from that encounter/relationship develops in you as Wild Surge sorcery. Eventually, the thing your ancestor messed with or something like it agrees to help you get more control of your magic.

>What is roleplay?
what is who gives a shit it's not your character?

You called?

You must be that guy who doesn't give two fucks about a DM's setting.

you must be that guy who believes in badwrongfun

So I played my first real session of D&D with some friends tonight.
>got handed a premade character sheet for a pretty generic Paladin
>Everyone has their own character and are arguing over whether or not to kill animals and shit
>Meanwhile, every fight I just yell DEUS VULT and cleave assholes in half
>At this point the big gun of the party without really trying
I'm surprised by how much I like Paladins. And smiting people.

If your fun ruins someone else's fun, you're out.

Then stop being a passive aggressive bitch and discuss it with the player.

bit contradictory though, so if my fun ruins your fun, then your fun ruins my fun. Guess no one gets to play.

>badwrongfun
People actually say this outside the something awful hugbox?

gets it

I do. I explicitly tell them I want an RP justification for taking warlock levels, and that I'm willing to give them something just as good if Agonizing Blast is all they want. So far everyone takes option 2.

Avoid breaking oath.

In a world where everyone can have magic I think it's dumb if someone wants to play a barbarian, if you want to play a barbarian you can just get the fuck out.

that's you, that's what you sound like

I'd love a sortable version of this. The ability to limit it to published options only, etc.

No. It's more like 'no, you can't become a wizard when you're illiterate and hang around with a hunter-gatherer tribe'.

You don't.

>Muh settin

I have no idea how to make that for you user.

I'll just say that I know this probably isn't happening, and it's a little greedy to even want it, considering that wizard is one of the classes that gets a great deal of attention but.....

I want a Universalist wizard that is actually well balanced.

Eh, just make a published options only version.

except the argument here is that user cant fathom why magic guy would want to become MORE magic guy.
Even if the reason is "hey i heard it's neat, i want to try it out" that should really be enough, it's not hurting the other players, it's not hurting the narrative, and it's not against the rules.

If user REALLY hates it, then just ban multiclassing altogether. I've never heard anyone having to justify a fighter/barb, rogue/ranger, or wizard/bard. But sorclock, THAT'S the strange one and shouldn't be played because all the player wants is muh DPS (even though he could ignore DPS completely and be a REAL terror)

Would plane shift or blood magic count?

I think his beef with it is that warlock requires you to make a pact with a big scary thing, and sorcerer requires you to be lucky enough to be born a sorcerer.

Nah, just stuff in the books.

>sorcerer requires you to be lucky enough to be born a sorcerer.

>ITT: More people not reading the book.

then he'd be wrong since "Sorcerers carry a magical birthright conferred upon them by an exotic bloodline, some otherworldly influence, or exposure to unknown cosmic forces."

huh, the last two almost seem like something a patron could cause.

Okay, sorcerer requires you to get your power through random chance, which you have no control over.

The point isn't that they are born that way, and I suppose a patron could even cause you to be born a sorcerer the point is that it's granted by chance. The player at least needs to give enough fucks to say, "Hey I'm gona look into what gave me my power and make a pact with it." Just like a character who wanted to be a thief would need to say "I'm gona start practicing thief stuff"

The user still needs to help the players with that, since he can't expect them to know how to find a big scary guy to make a pact with, but still.

The beef is guys going "muh agonizing blast" and then not wanting to explain in-character what made them decide to make the choice. Tell me about the pact and patron and what circumstances made the character make the choice instead of "people online told me Agonizing Blast is better DPR." Plenty of people in the thread actually have half-decent ideas for how it could work.

I'm on your side, but I feel like 'muh dps' translates to 'I want more power' which is pretty much a universal goal among adventurers. I thought your problem was them making no effort to find patron and expecting you to let them just become a warlock.

>Hey I'm gona look into what gave me my power and make a pact with it.
even that's not necessarily correct, the book even says that GOOs can make a pact and not even be aware that it happened.

"And sometimes, while poring over tomes of forbidden lore. a brilliant but crazed student's mind is opened to realities beyond the material world and to the alien beings that dwell in the outer void.

again, does the guy playing a fighter/barb have to justify anything?

Is there a good adaptation of Temple of Elemental Evil for 5E?

That's still a thing that he was to say, and a DM should open up a dialog about the characters options if they want to multiclass. I don't think that 'i wana deal more damage so im a sorlock now' is sufficient.

not that user, but yes. Everyone who wants to take on a new class needs to explain how they are doing that. It helps the DM with plot hooks, and it helps the player get into character.

>again, does the guy playing a fighter/barb have to justifying anything?

I want to know about his barbarian clan and what made him leave it to seek out fighter training or what made the fighter leave civilization to learn the ways of a barbarian. Luckily neither of those options involves making a pact with a higher being.

PotA is an adaptation in spirit, but you could just use the original and change the mechanical shit.

It is the exact same thing, player doesn't bring justification for getting those powers. It's fine if you want to be a sorlock, but explain how and why you got those powers, just like you would an illiterate barbarian getting tutored in magic.

>Fighting training
>Luckily neither of those options involves making a pact with a higher being.
Somebody's not aiming high enough.

>illiterate barbarian getting tutored in magic.
I see you haven't played much 5e.

Made a Mummy Race for a character I was thinking about making for a new campaign, got some feedback already but more will be useful.

naturalcrit.com/homebrew/print/HJjNJz4-

>use the original and change the mechanical shit.
I was hoping somebody else already did that.

What's POTA?

I like your thinking. I wish someone would actually use that idea for a fighter instead of a war cleric or blade warlock.

Princes of the Apocalypsewhy are we spoilering?

>How do I build X?
>What builds are the best?
>How do I optimize Y?
>What's the best Z?

Is this all D&D is now?

It's fine to admit you're wrong if you've been argued into a corner, dear.

>Is this all D&D is now?
it's all its ever been, user.

People on Veeky Forums get upset when you don't know things.

>naturalcrit.com/homebrew/print/HJjNJz4-

Is this a joke? Unless everyone is forced to be a mummy this race seems overpowered.

This has been D&D since 3e. If you don't like it, don't do it.
> They don't have fun the way I have fun

and when i'm wrong, I'll admit it.

also, in 5e barbs aren't illiterate.

Min maxers optamizers and char builders didn't fucking poof into existence the moment 2nd/3rd/4th/5th edition came along you massive tool.

They've always been there. You were never exposed to them because the group you played your pet edition with never bothered to get into the charop bullshit and you didn't have the internet to show you how many people do charop bullshit.

It's not so much
>> They don't have fun the way I have fun
It's more
>I want to have fun the way I want to have fun but there's nobody else to do it with, that's sad.

I don't think it's overpowered at all since it has a lot of drawbacks. Most notably fire vulnerability, the whole healing issue, disadvantage on social skills and probably being treated as a monster a lot.

It has more prevalent downsides than other races.

no one is stopping you from having fun with the min/maxers except you.

"But AD&D didn't have them" the strawman commentator says

shut the fuck up yes they did. I was there. I fucking saw them get pandered to with every subsequent release that gave the Cleric stupid shit.

Core+elemental evil+scag not much of a list.

No, but you must be.

But user, there's an int filter for multiclassing into Wizard. Don't you think you should read the fucking manual before you attempt counterpoints?

> Water Damage
> Ice Damage
> Earth Damage
> Arcane Damage

You're not even pretending to have read the book, are you?