/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

I Reject Your Edition and Substitute My Own Edition. Alternately, "Hand Mechanics" Edition. What's that mean? Well like, Forecast and Dash type stuff. Though I dunno how much design space there is left for that kind of thing since we haven't seen it in a while so just do what you want, man.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Been kinda slow hereabouts lately.

Weird card, but I kinda like it. Costing was a bit of a pain to figure out but I guess we'll see how I did.

Where's the green? I'd prefer this if it required less tapping but the creatures had to be nontoken.

Isn't "destroy target permanent" WB? And the lifeloss thing just makes it want to be XWBB.

I dislike this because it just perpetuates board stalls (you can't even fly over them because of all the bird blockers).

I believe WB is now destroy target nonland. I chose Jund because of Violent Ultimatum.

It's green because it does abilities by tapping creatures and because it makes creature tokens. Flavorwise it's also based off of Circe which tempted men before turning them into animals..

I was trying to make a token generator that's
-not morbidly overcosted because it's an artifact
-something different (not every day you find a card that only lets opponents use its activated ability)

It could be a miss. That's fair, and it happens. I guess I could just get rid of the copy ability and recost it accordingly.

>violent ultimatum
Forgot about that card. Carry on then. I would like to see double black in the cost due to the life loss but that's just my opinion, man.

>green
All colors make tokens. Making them when you destroy a creature is fairly BG though I guess. Turning things into animals is U though.

I love the card, and the first effect. I don't understand why the second one's in there.

WB can do destroy permanent, so can BG, although they've never done that card.
>pic related

And even G can do destroy permanent.

Haven't googled means it's a low res image ;-;

Well that's two votes to get rid of the second ability on the Chuchelo. Fine by me. It'll probably have to cost 5 though to compensate.

Have a hopefully not as shitty Rite of the Serpent. Changed "Empower" to "Magnify" because it reads better to me, and I like how it looks next to Madness better.

... huh. I can't actually see a way to break this but I'm not exactly a walking lexicon of cards either. I wonder why they haven't done this yet. I bet I'll find out when some user who knows better than me sees it.

I really like this, but think it's a tad too pushed. Either the cost reduction should be smaller or could only target either creatures or players.

I don't mind magnify as a keyword, but not in this example. Making a token isn't a magnified version of a kill spell (and a 1/1 flyer is rarely worth the card).

"its owner's hand"

Well hell, I guess I'll restore the old Magnify kill spell and just make this one cost 4B flat again for the kill and the token. I am 0/2 on experiments today, it's a bad day.

Hm. Man it's really hard for me to judge this. The "passive" makes it feel kinda black since it's anti-graveyard hate, but the rest is certainly GU. I want to say the +2 should say "up to one target" but honestly, since you get the Scry anyway, it doesn't have to I don't think.

Not at common, I don't think. Interesting idea though.

Hm. I dunno if this is enough of a drawback to be okay, because this will play like a dual land in way too many cases.

Well, I mean BR would do this to be sure. A good late game play, which is odd for a land.

It works really well when you can play multiple lands per turn, as you can keep bouncing and playing it and in general always makes sure you hit your land drops.

I was thinking of that but I couldn't picture it as broken in any way because of it. I mean it really smooths stuff like that out, but broken? Not sure if I'd say so.

If the +2 doesn't have a valid target you can't activate the ability.

It's not broken but I can see why wizards wouldn't print it.

Ah so it NEEDS that "up to" clause. I thought that's why they did that but I guess I should have double checked.

Leyline of Horror 2BB
Enchantment
If Leyline of Horror is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Each player's maximum hand size is reduced by two.

Wildgrove Hydra GGGGGG
Creature- Plant Hydra
Play with your hand revealed.
Trample
~'s power and toughness are equal to the number of green mana symbols in the mana costs of permanents you control, plus the number of green mana symbols in the costs of cards in your hand.
*/*

Guardian of the Real 1UU
Creature- Merfolk Wizard
Protection from tokens and copies.
3/1

Devious Jinx R
Creature- Devil
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card.
Hellbent- ~ gets +1/+1 if you have no cards in hand.
2/1

Angel of Serenity 4WWW
Creature- Angel
Flying
Whenever a player casts his or her first spell each turn, counter that spell.
At end of turn, if no player cast a spell this turn, gain life equal to the number of cards in your hand.
6/6

Anyone know where to get proxies better than the Aliexpress ones?

>Leyline
>0 mana your opponent discards 2 cards unless they have 2 cards to play
>stacks resulting in it being possible for player's hand size to be -1 at the start of the game
haha yeah not balanced at all.
>Hydra
Pretty strong as it is at least a 6/6 with trample. The downside of having to play with your ahnd revealed is a bit fair though.
>Guardian
Clever, nice.
>Jinx
Good in madness, mediocre everywhere else.
>Angel
This isn't mono white at all. This should be a 4UUW, and a 5/5 instead of 6/6

>autodiscard two
You actually only discard down to seven (or your max) at the end of YOUR turn, not other turns. My main concern is if you manage to draw four is that the game turns into an incredibly boring affair.
>Hydra
I like the idea of green having 'simple' mechanics as drawbacks, so others can play around them. Or, you know, get run over by fatties.

Also, "Lenient".
>Guardian
Thanks!
>Jinx
Well, that was the idea.
>Angel
I'll buy the shrinkage, but I think it could work. How about

Serene Archangel 3WWW
Creature- Angel
Flying
Whenever a player casts his or her first spell each turn, counter that spell unless they pay 2.
At end of turn, if no spells resolved this turn, gain life equal to the number of cards in your hand.
4/5

"Exile target permanent of your choice, then exile target permanent of an opponent's choice."

See Daiochan, Artful Beauty and Volcanic Offering.

Would you draft a tri-color block done in the cycle of Original Ravnica?
4pairs 1st set, 2pairs 2nd set and 3pairs 3rd set?

Also each tricolor pair would have it's own mechanic, tribal theme and draft archetype.

Theory here is a clock can work if opportunity cost is high enough.

Going to be hard to cast if it always costs 1 more than the number of lands you have.

Well. Thank you for pointing out my incredibly stupid mistake.

~ costs 1 more to cast for each land you control beyond the first.

If ~ would enter your graveyard, reveal your hand. If there are no cards named ~....

Thanks!

So, aside from Splicing onto a Storm spell, how is this better than that card that gives all your spells Replicate?

Mite b cool

Formation should be worded as "When another creature you control would be blocked or blocks, increase its power by 1 if this creature is untapped."

This would be really fun if there were only two of these. Just piss your enemy off early game, but it would really be weak in mid-game and late-game,

Idea with formation is that some value of formation is needed on the card that has it's power boosted - it theoretically allows 0 formation guys who just leech, or low P/T high formation value tacticians. Hence the "creature with formation", though I'll change the rest of the grammar to match yours.

Still toying around with the Team-up idea.

I would just give it an urzatron/locus sort of ability.

On a related note, now that "Colorless Mana" has a symbol, I want a symbol for "Mana of any color". So Rainbow Vale would read "T: Add A to your mana pool." And "A" would indicate one mana that could be used as any color.

Oh god, now I'm imaging costs with A in them, that can be paid for with colored mana, but no colorless.

Hmm, not a bad idea.

No, leyline will result in a player having to discard 2 if they are on the draw and they have no turn 1 play. And most plyer's turn 1s are some kind of cantrip meaning they'd still have to discard 1 or 2.

>angel change
well now you are just making a slightly bigger phyrexian angel but it isn't tax at that point. White has never countered any better then "unless play 1" so I don't think making a body that counters unless they pay 2 is fair, especially on a 4/5 for 6.

Both of those cards are good in games with more then 2 players, and I don't want this 1 mana removal spell to be this bonkers board neutralizer if you have a cooperating opponent.

Okay/10

>Things that can be cast for A but not colorless
hogod that will be so sore on the eyes, please no.

I can't see reverse tribal being all that interesting.

Rule 508. 1b. If I play a planeswalker, that card means that your creatures must attack you.

Pure black. There's no reason to include white in the cost. It's also terrible: the most you can do with it is break even, causing the other guy to lose exactly as much health as you do. Why would anyone put a card like that in their deck? How mad would you be if you opened a pack and this was your rare?

You can't declare attacks against yourself.

I could see this in suicide Black IF it losrlt Lifelink. Or maybe if it had something like
>Whenever ~ deals damage, you lose half that much life, rounded down.

>Okay/10
Well, the original concept had the same types, but this text instead
>T: Add C to your mana pool.
>T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Soend this mana only to cast legendary spells or activate abilities of legendary permanents.
Which I might go back to or use for a different card, since it got positive reception when I posted it. While I used to like the idea of Team-up, it's starting to get just a bit irritating.

>Hand Mechanics

Kinda relevant not!sweep that playtested surprisingly well as a limited mechanic.

Woah haven't seen that keyword in a while.

This looks like it comes straight out of Planar Chaos/Future Sight, it's as awesome as it is strong

This one could actually be real, even the flavor text is spot on

Congrats

Dat swastika tho

Should this account for lands as well? Gruul really likes converting lands into damage.

No. Dice should not be and are indeed, never required to play Magic.

Make it something along the lines of "Draw a card, then discard a card at random. Target creature you control gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the discarded card's converted mana cost."

Also 6 mana instant is WAY overcosted, and it could afford to be uncommon. Probably 1R.

I believe they were actually thinking of using dice in BFZ. I think they called it "Hedronize"

Further proving that Zendikar is where they put all of their worst ideas.

>Forecast type stuff. Though I dunno how much design space there is left for that kind of thing.
There's a recent article where Maro talks about Forecast (and other Ravnica mechanics) with respect to his storm scale (he puts it at 8) and how difficult it is to design/develop. And I'm inclined to agree with most of his points, particularly that black is the only color that can really interact with them (which limits how hard you can push the cards).

Counters only exist on permanents (i.e. not cards in the graveyard), so why not;

>Whenever a creature card enters your graveyard from the battlefield during combat, put a charge counter on CARDNAME.

>Remove a charge counter from Cardname; target creature card in your graveyard gains Unearth until end of turn. The unearth cost is equal to its mana cost.

Hmm, maybe I should make a Pastebin about mechanics that Wizards won't bring back and why.

>Counters only exist on permanents (i.e. not cards in the graveyard), so why not;
I have an entire block of cards that disagree with you. And that's not even getting into Planes and Schemes.

121.1. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player that modifies its characteristics and/or interacts with a rule, ability, or effect.
109.1. An object is an ability on the stack, a card, a copy of a card, a token, a spell, a permanent, or an emblem.

One more. And yes, this is an actual Magic card. Hey, maybe this should be the next edition?
>Counters on non-permanents edition!

mostly used for x=0
I like cards simplicity.

Why does this kill lands?
Why does this kill basic lands?

Because its a color-shifted Vindicate.

I enjoy the double meaning of the word "charge" on criminal investigation.

Pretty sure Vindicate can't be BG because BG doesn't do lands. It'll do everything but. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Both green and black can totes destroy lands individually. They've never printed a BG card that can destroy any permanent, but it's not a pie violation.

Yeah, but WotC is funny about the color combos and the "identity" each one has. It's kinda odd when you read about it sometimes, because some of them can't do things their constituent colors can do. Which is why we may not have, nor may ever, see it.

This is beyond great in a morph set. 9/10 would play.

Looooool. This is great. It's really rage inducing.

Indeed, not a bad idea.

Cool idea, want to see more cards with it. Change the name.

Leeel. Amazing card, but it's mono B.

Cards with that mechanic need to be much more pushed than that.

Why isn't this a card? Btw, there's a mono G card that does this I think.

I really dislike the idea of counters on a card in a GY.

Someone... Yeah... CO user has a 2UU enchantment card named Astral Projection which does just this.

The counters bit is great. But I rather have another line say "Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them are colorless."

>Tactician
Nothing to say about this, really great card.

>Raid
Heh, also good. Not a fan of Skulk though.

>Remote
Fun, trinket-ey card.

>First Mate
Uh not bad. But I rather have something like, the next ins/sorc costs 1 less to cast.

And that's that. Don't like doing bulk reviews :p

It is, and isn't.

Acidic Slime + Hero's Downfall is a good way to sum it up; but the two colors combined can deal with any permanent type, even when WotC hates land destruction because 'it isn't fun'.

So, basically, this.

I miss you Desert Twister.

Can you tell I'm a JSA fan yet?

>Indeed, not a bad idea.
Ugh, I'm not even sure anymore. I'm starting to think I should perhaps give up on Team-up altogether.

>Someone... Yeah... CO user has a 2UU enchantment card named Astral Projection which does just this.
It's a bit different, and I did change it. I'll post it in a second.

>It is, and isn't.
If I had to venture a guess, I would say that Wizards wants to craft specific identities for the combinations more for balance than anything else. I always remember an article Maro wrote about designing Rakdos where he observed that BR could actually make a decent control archetype because the combination of the colors would have access to a large number of cheap creature removal spells and discard spells that would shut down most threats as quickly as they emerge.

>even when WotC hates land destruction because 'it isn't fun'.
Do you want to argue that playing a game of Magic where you can't even really play Magic is actually fun?

>Cast this
>Dig Through Time, drawing 6 cards as part of the cost

Yeah no. Not a chance.

Here we are! Another user said he would love it if it were GU, so I changed it. Besides, it makes sense. At least, I think it does. Also, note that the way this works means it doesn't trigger any ETB effects of cards it copies.

This is a really cool idea, I would probably make a minor aesthetic chance though:

"At the beginning of your upkeep, Scry 1. You may reveal the top card of your library. If a creature card is revealed this way..." blah blah blah.

Actually no, it should be:

"At the beginning of your upkeep, Scry 1 then look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If a creature..." etc. Then fits with previous templating on stuff like Delver.

Not quite an aesthetic change, but I get the idea. Yeah, does sound better, I'll change it.

Green can destroy noncreature permanents (such as with bramblecrush), and black is the king of killing creatures. Together, it seems like they should be able to destroy any permanent, although maybe at a higher cost than vindicate.

Well, still working on Avengers Assemble. For now, have this.

I just want to point out that this same kind of logic leads to a BR card that says "Destroy target nonenchantment permanent" but do you honestly think we'll ever see that?