MTG Pauper General: Read The OP Edition

Hey let's try to break 100 posts like the Modern and Standard guys.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-03-16-aRF-mono-blue-pauper/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Never played pauper before, considering trying it in MTGO. Does this look like something that's not absolutely awful?

Its based on a custom standstill deck for DOTP2014 I found and really liked.

also, it's crazy how cheap most things are on mtgo, but are there any super budget replacements i could put in for Ninja of the Deep hours? That card alone makes up about 75% of the cost

What is "this"?

I would really appreciate some suggestions for pauper Jund.

I like pauper and all but i dont lile mtgo and no one at my local is very interested

I dont know how i missed that
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-03-16-aRF-mono-blue-pauper/

Then dont play it retard.

Ok

Just ducking in to say that after a few years of Pauper my group switched to Noble and consider it vastly more fun, for very little price jump.

I'm assuming Lotus Petal is banned right? Being able to cast any rare or mythic rare card over and over again for the same price every time sounds broken as fuck.

>literally just edh

pass

How fucked am I for wanting to play Paper Pauper but not wanting to use old cards.
I only like the new/modern card design...

found some people at shop that said Gutshot is banned in pauper
im a pauper player but always played in paper and never had to do with MTGO (that is where pauper comes from)
are they right?
is Gutshot not playable?

They are stupid and wrong. It's not on MTGO banlist and was printed at common in Modern Masters 2015. Now they might be retards following thier own stupid rules instead of MTGO (like a few guys at my local shop do).

I'm trying to think of ways to get people into the correct format of Pauper while low-key shitting all over the two guys who run the "pauper tournaments" who always complain of low turn out.

How do I beat turn 1 Delver with my Burn deck? Do I remove the Delver or keep hitting face?

Pic unrelated.

Hit it with a Gut Shot before it flips, or just Bolt it afterwards if you think you're gonna lose the race.

>I'm trying to think of ways to get people into the correct format of Pauper...
Build a pauper cube, son. Best way to introduce newbies to the crazy shit you can build with commons.

I feel like you should just play Mono U Delver

Yeah he should.

All dat money. All dose cards. How does a cube even work. It's like a draft for shits and giggles?

Which Tron variant is better vs the whole field, UW Rhystic or RUG?

>All dat money.
Assuming an average cost of 10 cents US for each common, a 360-card pauper cube would cost you $36 if you had to buy all the singles you wanted to include. Tack on another $3.60 for penny sleeves, and you're looking at something around $40 total investment. (I'm assuming you'll already have enough land to use for your draft sessions; if not, then add a few dollars more.)

>How does a cube even work. It's like a draft for shits and giggles?
Precisely. Once you finish drafting, building, and playing your decks, you return all the cards to the box and re-shuffle before holding the next draft. That's the appeal of the cube format: you can draft all you want without having to buy fresh booster packs each time. Plus you get to pick what cards go into your cube; it's like designing your own set.

Not very fucked, all the best decks are composed of cards that were released in a modern frame at some point.

any other izzet blitz player here boys?
post your list
mine is
4x Delver
4x Kiln
4x Cyclops

4x Ponder
4x Preordain
3x Gitaxian probe

4x Bolt
4x Temur battlerage
4x Mutagenic growth
4x Blessing
1x Gutshot
1x Gush
1x Slip trough space

2x UR dual
7x Mountains
1x Lonely sandbar
8x Island

They aint trolls or stupid in any way, good guys and good players
they just were 100% sure Gut shot is somehow banned on MTGO pauper, seem they just mistought

Y'all niggas need to rrad the rules. You do NOT get to cast your noble more than once.

Effectively, you just always start the game with your rare in hand. They only use the command zone because otherwise thoughtseize, duress, etc would be op.

What are good cards/archetypes for a pauper cube?

Stupid question but is not legal as commander in pauper EDH, is it?

No. Fun card in draft, though.

Yeah, I see - nice delirium engine.
So I have to look for other quirky commander - pic related seems to be retarded idea enough to give it a try

Is it possible to make relevant pauper deck based on zombie tokens?

this could probably slot into mbc just for value. good drop after an edict

Are you saying you wouldn't allow me to play Ashes to Ashes in my paper deck because MTGO doesn't include all sets?

White Weenie with or without artifact focus?

I'm finally doing it guys, I'm building my Paper Pauper Gauntlet. It looks like a bad time to do so though, some prices have spiked a little since BFZ and OGW for some reason (Eternal Masters?). Just ordered Delver, Stompy, Goblins and Tokens since they're mono colour and easier to introduce to some of my friends who are new to the game. Got Affinity and Bogles a continent away in my non-campus home, gonna grab them over the summer.

I wanna look to two more decks to slowly build over the next quarter: given the current Gauntlet lineup, who should be the last two to go in for balanced, casual 8-man Friday nights? I'm looking at Mono Black Control, Bogles, Temur Tron and Izzet or Dimir Delver.

Oh, I'm also considering Pauper Cawblade because I have a raging hard-on for that playstyle. Like, I like it better than Acid Trip even if Acid Trip may actually be the better deck for the Azorius slot.

You can't assume that though, there are staples, and those can get expensive. Plus average commons middle around 20 cents these days.

What's the list? I'm doing a stock Tokens list so I don't use them, but if you're doing Equipment Weenie that's certainly a solid direction to go.

not him, but i've built a pauper cube before. his numbers are a little low but not too far off. i spent around $100 on mine, unpimped and before sleeves. most of the cards were roughly 5 to 15 cents. i ran a few cards from legends and arabian nights that were a few dollars a piece that could easily be cut.

Did you get them off TCG Player? I feel like that's my mistake. It can be a real arse, finding the cards to fill up to a dollar, and sometimes you take the more expensive route just to make them hit the dollar mark.

I don't have an actual list yet, thinking about W Artifacts with the typical stuff like Ardent Recruit, Court Homunculus, maybe Razor Golem.
Maybe splashing U for Thoughtcast and Somber Hoverguard or R for Glavanic Blast and Kuldotha Rebirth.

Or a simple white weenie with maybe Soul Sisters and/or Suture Priest.
Is there a list of good white creatures?

yeah, i got 100% of my list off of there. open up a tab for each card you're looking for, and look for sellers who have most of what you want. it's a bit of a project, but with an hours work you can end up with something like pic related.

I feel like with the first option, you'd certainly want some spells that capitalise on your artifacts to get ahead on damage or cards. Unfortunately we live in a world with artifact lands so Cranial Plating is not legal. Splashing U for Brainstorm feels like a better route than splashing R in my opinion.

mbc seems a little bit oppressive in your meta, although i may be wrong. ub delver seems a little bit redundant seeing as you already have mono-blue. teachings fills both the ub slot and the control slot without having too many highly favored match up. my analysis is probably horribly wrong btw.

Noted, noted. Thanks man.

New-ish player, how does my stompy Golgari pauper deck look?

4x Bond Beetle
4x Dross Hopper
4x Phyrexian Battleflies
4x Plague Beetle

4x Giant Growth
4x Groundswell
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Vines of Vastwood

4x Molting Snakeskin
4x Rancor

10x Forest
10x Swamp

Correct. Please read the op. You are not playing Pauper, you are playing kitchen table.

>You are not playing Pauper, you are playing kitchen table.
>Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online
Ugh, it is still a pauper but not supported by Wizards

Incorrect. Pauper is a format in place by Wizards. If you are not playing by the same rules it's not even "Paper Pauper with every common card". It's some kitchen table rule bullshit.