Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Adventurer's Best Friend Edition
What's your character's animal companion?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
>pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1Ye5jOde7F6K9RjVuplsRNIwBP_rdgCf0vlW1pQNTVGY/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1WKwyK10BvzqVb9M3lIJ0ZyraUNSuEr8y0QK6ML6d-6Y/edit?usp=sharing
pastebin.com/Zrz0YXK8
d20pfsrd.com/feats/betrayal-feats
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NJheONn6xh0fmO4V-Q0FW1Ykmj_Kb6MqKvGLTnvqkqk/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What's your character's animal companion?
My character is a sylvan sorceress that casts from horseback. the few times there's been problems with cliffs and ladders and the like, she's always had a spell to obviate the problem, such as Fly.

Only the fiercest and most terrifying animal you can get

He doesn't have one, being a Fighter.

What did you just call my daughter?

Thanks for the new thread. I don't have an animal companion, but I have an angel as a cohort. He normally takes the form of a gnome.
I may be picking up a Clockwork Charger, though.

Restating question from earlier, any idea what a 'Paragon' is? Because grappling is a clusterfuck and everyone confuses it with the metric clusterfuck of Pathfinder.

This makes sure you can actually control the rules, without restricting who can actually do it to avoid compromising chars in progress.

Battle Owls Motherfucker!

How would you stat one?

Of 3.5 I mean, I need to sleep.

So we just got done with latest installment of LAND OF THE LINNORM KINGS, and some shit just went down!

>Raiding pirate ship, grapple hook is a-go, things start looking up for our ole scrappy gang of misfits
>Of course, until we start continually failing the check to climb up a piece of rope
>A piece of rope with a DC 5 Climb check
>Not_This_Shit_Again.gif
>Finally, the group's resident killing machines manage to get up onto the deck, just in time to take down the captain and a gaggle of pirates
>Unlike every other combat we've had, this one's going well! We got high rolls, they got low, we even brained a poor guy with a shield toss!
>And then brained him again with said shield as a CDG, for shits and giggles the DM decides to roll a Fortitude save to see if the poor bastard dies
>Nat 20
>Clearly, this random pirate wasn't going to die as easily as the others
>While the Huldra Witch begins tenderizing the man with her quarterstaff, the martials mop up the ship's innards until they beg for parlay
>Parlay is made, party is rewarded the longship, all is good! Hardy pirate is patched up and chosen as our first crewmate

> What's your character's animal companion?
A shiny new Axebeak mount, acquired through far more convoluted means that really necessary.

>Decide to ask the longship captain just what spurred her to go all the way to the Shackles for a ship
>Turns out the woman has a hankering for the werewolf captain from Skulls and Shackles, a man that left her with a mighty nasty scar and a lust for claiming dat woof as her own
>While discussing her messed up love story, she's hugging and squeezing the Kitsune like she was made for it
>Girl gets flustered, and fluster intensifies as captain starts asking if she's got a special someone in the group. Huldra Witch joins in on the torture until it's eventually dropped.
>While surveying for loot on the pirate ship (surprise, it's fucking nothing) Fluffy Tail Kitsune decides to try on some new clothes, as her old ones were getting her worked up in a sweat something fierce
>She tries on a racy pirate wench outfit
>If she wasn't so innocent, she'd be sweating even harder now
>Decides to ask for Huldra Witch's opinion on new gigs
>[Ohohohoho~ intensifies]
>Others join in on critiques, Kitsune slowly realizes just what she's wearing
>Many keks were had
>Party now has a longship, the trust of a major raiding captain, and endless possibilities on the endless horizon!

We're now on track to raid the shit out of the Inner Sea! Who should we target first, /pfg/?

Like this
www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/giant-owl

My ranger has a camel named Raz as a companion- it's a desert campaign, and its been pretty handy so far.

Like a cat, but with wings and an unyielding hatred of all life on this earth.

Because sometimes, you wanna just eat the lich

No, Forrest wrote it and she actually LIKES grappling, just doesn't want to have to balance around the instant kill stuff, iirc.

It's Gareth that hates grappling.

Eh, nothing too special

>mfw the only thing that made me want to play a Ravenlord Harbinger is fluffing the bird as an Owl
HOOT HOOT MOTHERFUCKERS

Koli is probably a good example though I wish I could afford magic items for him ;_;

docs.google.com/document/d/1Ye5jOde7F6K9RjVuplsRNIwBP_rdgCf0vlW1pQNTVGY/edit?usp=sharing

Everyone I REQUIRE HELP. I have created part of a class I am writing for a homebrew. I need opinion on the features that are out so far.

>docs.google.com/document/d/1WKwyK10BvzqVb9M3lIJ0ZyraUNSuEr8y0QK6ML6d-6Y/edit?usp=sharing

To explain the feature Facility Expansion it goes as the following.

The Agent gains a facility they can both pack and unpack, while it is unpacked you are able to make use of a number of features. At it's base it just gives skills, but your Facility Expansions provide other bonuses ranging from at low level stored research notes to at high levels a cloning lab.

Both packing and unpacking your facility is something one must consider as for how long it will take. As well as transporting it.

I would love to have some

New Changes:
>Finished list of Facility Expansions
>Completely changed the recovery mechanic to make it easier to actually recover shit

>dat filename

>tfw you give your enemies the People's Talon

To Cheliax! Those hellknights aren't going to fall in love with one of you and undergo tremendous inner conflict as they try to bring you to justice by themselves, you know! Though you could probably make a mint with somewhat less risk and romantic complication knocking over Qadiran merchant ships.

Also, that captain sounds like a classy lady.

We doing another owl thread?

How do I Air Kineticist?
Wings of Air is an obvious choice, but can it do any other kind of utility?

Hit Rahadoum, no one will even bother trying to stop you.

Maybe even capture a young Pure Legion Initiate and convince them that their puppy-crush on the local Captain isn't worth throwing away their chance at an afterlife.

It's always an owl thread.

>Turns out the woman has a hankering for the werewolf captain from Skulls and Shackles, a man that left her with a mighty nasty scar and a lust for claiming dat woof as her own
Does she realize one of the party is a werewolf too?

We are now

Let it begin, then.

Alright /pfg/, as much as I have tried to persuade him not to, a player in my gestalt group wants to try statting this guy up. How would you do so?

Fey Arcanist Druid VMC, accompanied by a Megaloceros, from one of the few high-level campaigns I was ever in, although it died quickly.

Ran an Animal domain Inquisitor whose best friend in the world was an elephant.

Our table's longest-lasting animal companion, though, was our ranger and his dog.

Why persuade him not to?

The GM (not me) absolutely despises FF7, he wants to try and slip it past him as a joke.

Zweihander Sentinal Warder is a must. For the other class, possibly either Occultist, Magus, it Sorcerer.
Don't forget to put ranks in Perform( mosey )

Zweihander sentinel warder?

Good day, /pfg/
Previous threads before, I tried to make an alternative fix for fighters.
After several inputs, I have made a new iteration of the fighter fix.

Tell me what you think:
pastebin.com/Zrz0YXK8

Its called 'Fighter's Focus', based on the concept that Fighters are the martial dabblers who study a bit into one or two disciplines to develop their own martial style.

Feedback is appreciated, thanks

Fair enough, that does sound hilarious, though.

He may have to be a little subtle on some details.

>absolutely despises FF7,
Any particular reason why? Sure AC and most if the spin-off stuff was kinda cringy, but the original game itself wasn't bad.

ZS Warder was pretty set on before, glad to see it echoed here. Can't decide on what the other half would be though, maybe one of the manifesters? Got to have summoning for sure though.

Why is the Kitsune always bullied.

Oh, gestalt? Definitely psion if you can. That way you can cast in armor. Astral constructs could be used for summoning.

I need some tips for desert adventures, /pfg/! What kinds of food could you forage in the desert, and what sorts of encounters might you face?

Don't really know why, he just does. Possibly just Cloud though. It's become a bit of a running joke over time to slip him into our games in some way. The only time he caught on was an Only War game where someone played a Stormtrooper using an eviscerator. That was pretty easy to spot, in hindsight.

Because the kitsune gets flustered so often that she's an easy target.

Actually, I think we bully the Chelaxian guy more (my character fucks with everyone, though).

Sentient Cacti Monks

Sand Burrowing Scoprions

Desert Raiders wielding makeshift flamethrowers that run on alchemist fire

A small bipedal turtle wielding a small dagger that moves 10 ft. per round and has a strength score of 50

Can't speak for them, but I hate it because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy. They changed so much and it didn't feel like the series I loved anymore, and with the exception of 9, they never have again. It's less than FF7 was bad in itself (though I wouldn't say it was anything more than a mediocre RPG crammed into a tech demo), and more that its success was a harbinger of the complete transformation of the series.

Why hasn't the Chelaxian called in their favors with family back home to make sure you never bully them again?

A Chelaxian wouldn't take bullying laying down!

He's a two-headed eagle. Can't wait until his bite turns poisonous.

>small bipedal turtle

Noice.

Because he burned all his bridges running away to be a coolguy in the LotLK, we think.

He also might not give a shit, who knows?

There's a documentary you can find on YouTube called the Desert of Skulls, that's about the Kalahari. I recommend watching it.

Also, giant sandworms and sand conch disguised as rock formations might be cool

>A small bipedal turtle wielding a small dagger that moves 10 ft. per round and has a strength score of 50
Doink?

A mechanical T-Rex with two ballista strapped to his claws, a cannon replacing 80% of his head, and sharpened steel daggers replacing his teeth.

FF, Fallout, TF2 and FF again.

Let's see...

For Readied Blade, remove the word "free". It is an AoO.

I do not understand this sentence: "A fighter may select any focus with a level requisite equal to or less than his fighter level."

Does this mean they can switch between all the foci as they want?

>Throat Slicer

What are some good ways to make use of this feat?

Also, would I be THAT GM if I had some NPC Throat Slicers to remind the party that the thieves' guild boss not being a mage doesn't change the fact he doesn't fuck around if they piss him off? It's probably more sporting to just have them be on the wrong end of some Sap Masters, but...

I have a throat slicer build in a game currently. Aberrant Aegis, I loaded up on tentacles for the grab quality and the tentacle bonus to grapple checks. throw in a climb speed, the chameleon customization, and a shitload of stealth abilities, and you can end up with a character that's huge but crawls around silently and nearly invisible on the roof, reaching down to grasp people with its tentacles before strangling the life out of them.

>The party shapeshifter? She counts as a companion and the other thing right? Don't tell her I said that
My character himself has a Mech's Psi-Core Mainframe as his 'companion' though instead/as-well

Are you also playing a winged marauder alchemist?

Bit of an odd question for you guys.

I'm trying to recall a class or prc specifically for orcs or goblinoids that uses your allies for various things like defense. Grabbing them and pulling them in to take an arrow, etc. It may be back in 3.0/.5 era but I figured you guys would know.

I don't know about a PrC, but there are a few betrayal feats that do the same thing for Pathfinder. Maybe you can look there?

d20pfsrd.com/feats/betrayal-feats

>I got a bomb, and I got a bag of poops
>which one will help the party more?

>Betrayal feats
>You cant betray anyone unless they also have the same feats
Can you be a Divine commander and share betrayal feats?

Nope.

Betrayal feats have a caveat that if you share them with other people, they can use YOU, but not the other way around.

What is your ultimate intrigue character guys?

Sleepless detectives, utility wizards, social vigilantes. Who do you play when you need intrigue.

I played one of those a while back, in a sandbox game in varisia. she eventually started building golems, and the kobold gunslinger joined her up on the back of the bird when it grew to large size.

So you become this guy

the bomb isn't all that great, wheras the bag of poops could be used in a social campaign to really get the ball rolling - in a manner of speaking

Got my friend into a group mid-campaign, he's new to Pathfinder and rpg's in general, anyone got any advice for giving him a crash course? He doesn't seem like trash yet or that guy material, I figured running through mock encounters to learn the mechanics would be enough.
Anyone got any tips?

Thinking of playing a Vizier in an upcoming game, thoughts on those?

Which path is good?

The crafter path isn't bad, the 'teamwork feats' path as well after a few levels.

The ruler path has a major problem: At low levels IT FUCKS YOUR PARTY UP. This is flatly, plainly, fucking unacceptable, and I do not know how this got through playtesting as-is. A class ability that takes rusty-dagger-shanktown and stacks a will save penalty on your entire party for it is... I just couldn't believe it.

However, if you roll up for at least the level where it stops affecting friendlies, the ability starts becoming rather good.

*someone asked about hand cannons earlier; they're no good. Anything you could get out of them you can get better elsewhere, in particular with real weapons. The essense investment required to make them not suck would instead make just about anything else you put it into REALLY GOOD instead. Hand Cannons are an excellent emergency subweapon, in particular for those who don't normally spend their time full-attacking, or who are otherwise melee (sometimes you just need to pull something out that can hit that teleporting dragon up there you can't seem to fly to with your sword) but, like the Aegis Ranged customizations, are just no good as a spinal weapon.

So I have some storying to do, and I want to drop some statblocks on you guys to get an idea of whether I went overboard.

>Playing Curse of the Crimson Throne
>Korvosa is in full plague-mode, shit is getting bad and fast.
>Some time back, a prison cart full of convicted criminals being sent to jail/execution got knocked over in broad daylight by an Ettin and some Orcs and Goblins. The fuck they came from? No one knows. But the prisoners escaped.
>Fast forwards a few weeks, the players are led into a trap by someone they're attempting to buy a slave from (long story, it's for a good cause), and they meet one of the escaped criminals who tries to kill them. He's brutal, but they end up taking his head.
>They bring head to a Commander of the Sable Company who gives them some documents about the other escaped prisoners, saying he'll let them claim the bounties on them if they can track them down.
>One of them, they learn, is part of an underground fighting ring in Old Korvosa.
>Party Barbarian looks for ways in, finds out that the Ring is run by a bad dude who you don't want to cross, and his minions all have burned faces and dead eyes.
>Barbarian cracks some skull of one or two of these guys, learns that Malachai is the boss and he controls their minds by burning a handprint onto their face/head. He's bad news.
>Party is currently killing were-rats, and preparing to knock over the fighting ring.

So, that's where the party is right now. I want to get your opinion on whether I made these guys a bit...too challenging. (CONT)

I really want to make a character that's centered around a pixie/sprite familiar/eidolon/companion. Must be at least tiny, ideally diminutive or fine.

Is there a way to actually make this useful? I can't figure out how to make it more than a kind of mediocre scout/wand bitch.

As far as I've heard, the Handcannons can be MADE good, but it apparently necessitates the Armory of the Conqueror or the Storm Gauntlets. And that might be because those are VERY GOOD in general.

The ruler path has had the errata come out on that.

I play a vizier/vitalist gestalt. It's kinda fun/frustrating deciding veils in the beginning, though part of it is because my character's a pacifist toward those with humanoid intelligence.

Just make sure to get a spreadsheet going for easy tracking of things.

If you know about Google Sheets and are willing to deal with my idiosyncrasies, you can make a copy of my sheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NJheONn6xh0fmO4V-Q0FW1Ykmj_Kb6MqKvGLTnvqkqk/edit?usp=sharing

user here who was asking about hand cannons, was looking for ways to specifically have an arm cannon over other ranged weapons. That's a shame that they aren't ideal, but about what I expected.

Sure, now here's the problem:
First, Hand cannons and Storm Gauntlets are a bad match. The latter needs maximal investment to give slightly more damage than the Hand Cannons would, as otherwise half its enchants are overwritten by the hand cannon elements. Even at that point though that's a LOT of essence for very little extra gain.

Hand Cannons and Armory generally need twin veil binding to the wrists; at the very least you MUST bind the hand cannons though.

Maximized hand cannons are exceedingly lategame, only becoming a +5 weapon at 10 essence. That's 7 from Vizier, AND a +3 catalyst. OW. And you can't choose their enchants, it's all elemental bursts
>"oh but it adds up to more than +10" >THEY'RE A 20/X2 WEAPON SO E.Burst enchants are about the most wasteful thing you could be putting on them

Finally, even if you optimize the fuck out of the hand cannons...

.... you're looking at around 15-20 Essence invested... and you'd get FAR more firepower for half as much essence if you'd simply armoried ANY OTHER FUCKING WEAPON, preferably one you bought.

Personally, since I'm in a gestalt game, I'm using it to boost a tech beam weapon thanks to the warsoul other half; some people in the group would get angry (sorry, but I'm gonna say it!) at my calling it unoptimized due to what it can fucking do, but technically it IS: I've got a huge chunk of a gestalt build dedicated to making a tech firearm good after all.

Put this shit on a longbow or a machinegun or something even a goddamn crossbow and watch your DPR start to truly mean something.

I know your pain, trust me.
They can be made viable, but it's not worth it. All the work you put into making "hand cannon is okay now" would make other weapons utterly devastating.

>mfw Construct Rider Alchemist with Siege Bomb discovery
>mfw Vital Strike applies to Siege Weapons

I mean, logically, this is the best feat tree to take since you can only fire cannons and ballistae only once per round, so you might as well make the most of it.

But muh gawd, THAT damage.

>I don't like castles and nobody can stop me

Speaking of animal companions.

I know that Orcs get a new pet to play with (Gortheks)

What about the other races? Do they have racial pet buddies as well?

>Rogue Modron
>It's a Monodrone
>If there's two in the party, then when one of them dies if the other isn't blasted by AoE, it just splits into another on its turn, so you at most ever lose it for one round
>Monodrone
>Monodrone
>Monodrone
>Monorail

I've pretty much resigned myself to only being able to achieve it with soulknife and fluff.

used to to do this shit back in 3.5

Dont need to dungeon crawl if you can level the dungeon from the outside.

I love Gortheks. they're more awesome than they have any right to be, and it's wonderful.

The "weapon creation system" lets you make arm-mounted weapons.

Plus, it's complete lack of proper loading or ammunition rules means you can very simply have a particle (or perhaps 'particulate' in this case) cannon as a one-handed arm-mounted double-weapon, no need for reloading or any such dumb shit.

Good for the rapid-fire kind; though that system not too good for long range heavy hitters at all (in fact it's downright bad for that).

So if nothing else there's both a 1st party way and something you can emulate as soulknife.

Tumor familiar Greensting Scorpion

He hangs out on my neck and rips himself from my skin when he wants to play

An angry horse. His previous owner gelded him, but that only made him madder.

I'm not sure I understand, what purpose would the double property serve?

>"YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY ANGER STRONGER."

The second barrel counts as a light offhand for dual-wielding.

Its an Elephant. Doot doot motherfucker

Paizo, in their infinite "we couldn't give a quarter fuck about range that isn't the mighty longbow don't you remember crecy and againcourt it had nothing to do with terrible commanders or the weather or the terrain or a complete disregard and active hatred for mercenary troops or anything that happened it was purely because of how amazing longbows were" wisdom (a 7) completely forgot to differentiate things in their weapon creation system.

So for the first time since shitass hand crossbows, you can make a double (as in "like a double-sword, etc") category weapon... it just happens to be ranged.

It just also happens to be arm mounted because WHY THE FUCK NOT.

Granted it'll be like d4 so you're not an armory-of-conqueror type user here, you're definitely in the "maximum static #" camp, but you have one-handed ranged double-weapon with infinite ammo and no reloading if you want.

It's not even strong, it's just fun to drag that to the table and see the "CRB ONLY, PFS ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION" types cringe and asspergrrage

I forgot appropriate pic.

Also, the above assumes they didn't recently errata it into worthlessness, but hopefully they LIKED selling their weapon-guy manual, and will keep it as it is.

Googling lead to a bunch of dead ends and a handful of shitty half-unrelated jpgs. Does anyone have a pdf character sheet using the Grouped Skills system from the pathfinder unchained book? How about the Wound Threshold system?

We're reaching the last leg of our adventuring days and I'm trying to get my Sorcerer's initiative score as high as possible to avoid the dreaded 1 round tpks that come at this level.

So far I have: Noble Scion +9, Improved initiative +4, Familiar +4, Reactionary +2, Anticipate peril +5 and Heightened awareness +4 which adds up to a total of +28.

Are there any other items I can get to push this?

So, following an adventure in which the players stopped a cult of Ghlaunder from making the local equivalent of the Olympic Games into ground zero for a new super plague their god dreamed up, the heroes have drawn the attention of Kurgess, and he's looking to bestow some low-key boons on them in gratitude. The party is currently level 7, and consists of Ranger, Alchemist, Bard and Bloodrager.

I figure he'll manifest int the form of a local wrestler, and offer the PCs some "special training" that will give them access to bonus stuff. I don't think all the players will accept at first, but I know the Ranger will for sure, and once he gets the first bonus I reckon the other players will want in on that shit. As such, I'm thinking of giving three bonuses across a weeks worth of training - I want the first one to be minor but the next two to be about as useful as a fairly major magic item.

So far I'm thinking that Day 1 will give "+2 effective strength for the purpose of carrying capacity," Day 3 will give the Athletic Feat, and Day 7 will give each of them a teamwork feat of their choice, with each other member of the party counting as though they knew all the feats for the purpose of triggering them.

Does this seem balanced and useful?

Ioun stones?

You're not finding anything higher than +28. You need a reroll to ensure you don't get a nat 1.