Ryuutama Questions

Anyone here playing this game? Our 5E group recently decided on this and I'll be the person blessed with running it for them.

Any stories or advice you have to share would be appreciated.

It looks like a lot of fun, but deadly.
PDF if you want it: my.mixtape.moe/hdhdru.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597703&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2
docs.google.com/document/d/1P-dZHtgehC6Q_Z_fdV1j3QFzxcqbj8m5MGUZMzbY8Rw/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The bad Japanese makes me cringe too hard. Couldn't the author find one actual Japanese person to consult?

>Japanese game written by Japanese people
>Translated into English at a later point
>"Couldn't the author find one actual Japanese person to consult?"
Your weeb detector is broken user. It can no longer distinguish between weebs and the real thing, negating its entire purpose.

Thanks

oooh, been looking for this, thanks.

Why does Ryuutama go out of its way to enable yuricucks?

What is the precise logic behind Magic Types receiving higher-level abilities as they gain levels, while Attack Types and Technical Types receive no scaling for their abilities?

Magic Types are more able to directly influence the story as they gain levels and attain abilities like "literally grant wishes" and "long-distance overland flight for the entire party in a game centered around the travails of travel" at level 7. This is in addition to the new combat options they receive. It is far from 3.PF-style "tier 1 wizards vs. tier 5 fighters," but it is still flagrantly caster-biased by later levels.

I would think that Attack Types and Technical Types should receive minor upgrades at levels 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 and major upgrades at levels 4 and 7 to match the higher-level progression of Magic Types. What do you think those could be?

"But this game is about comfy slice-of-life travel, so it is not a problem!" you might say. In that case, how exactly would Attack Types and Technical Types receiving higher-level abilities clash with the comfiness?

>What is the precise logic behind Magic Types receiving higher-level abilities as they gain levels, while Attack Types and Technical Types receive no scaling for their abilities?
Because Magic types can never use Concentration. The others can use it as much as their MP allows them, but using it twice entirely takes away a Magic Type's ability to use magic in any capacity.

SHREKT
Pasta.

what the fuck am I reading??

>xCucks
Shitposting.

LMAO
Yurifags. Go back to your board

Have you actually read what concentration does? Its effects are strong and versatile, but not as good as higher-level spell effects.

Concentration does the exact same thing at level 1 as it does at level 10. Meanwhile, spells get better.

No, this is me posting again.

Japanese people cannot into game design. That's the logic behind it. Nobody gives a shit but you. Stop asking.

Oh fuck off. Plenty of Japanese games have good design.

nice knee-jerk post

Because shit like D&D is so much better in comparison.

So, tell me about this game? It looks pretty interesting, but I don't really want to sift through the PDF to figure out what makes it interesting or fun.

It's comfortable and the collective world building is really fun.

Alright, so. Imagine a Hayao Miyazaki made a film about the Oregon Trail, except with (mostly friendly, mostly cute) dragons. The Odragon Trail. Now imagine that instead of a film, it's a TTRPG with a system so simple you could teach a six-year-old. This is that.

Its biggest unique mechanic is that it not only allows for, but *enforces*, a GMPC, but with a neat asymmetrical style; they're not the same as the PCs, they have their own special stats and abilities, which benefit the whole party, and rather than gain XP, they level up based off how many sessions they've run. The conceit is that they're secretly following the party, writing their exploits down in a book to read as bedtime stories to a young dragon.

> ending a request with a question mark when there is no inquisitive verb or adjective
Go fuck yourself$

>implying the unspoken "will you" doesn't count
Learn the difference between casual and formal grammar baka senpai

Stop being a pleb, taidana-kun.

Also it has a neat mechanic where the dragon takes over an NPC and another player GMs.

>The conceit is that they're secretly following the party, writing their exploits down in a book to read as bedtime stories to a young dragon.

Note that they also INTERFERE in these stories. To make them more interesting. Boring stories lead to bored dragons, after all. Nobody wants to hear about the party getting lost for six hours, better for a strange, kindly old lady to happen by and point them in the right direction.

I've only skimmed the surface, but it seems pretty legit. I'm all for games where the power gain is secondary to the story advancement. I mean, you get XP for fighting and stuff still, but you get an equal amount for that as you do for exploring and roleplaying, so rather than encouraging PCs to fight less, it's more so encouraging them to do the other stuff in equal measure as well.

I also love the art; mostly. Some of the Class profiles are fugly, but on the whole it's really nice, and very comfy.

It is, it is very legit. I finally managed to wrangle my playgroup into trying it, and afterwards we agreed it was one of the best times we've ever had.

To me it's sort of like Mousegaurd 2000. Mouseguard, but you can use it to do whatever and there are way more character options and narrative possibilities.

hnnnng playing redwall with ryuutama

Because it's a good system

A better way to think of it is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: the TTRPG. There may be less monster fightan than in CC, but the root concepts are about the same: traveling with friends, making memories (and even keeping them all in a journal as a key aspect of both setting lore and game mechanics), and all the fortunes and misfortunes you bump into on the road while traveling the world.

It's a cozy, homey sort of game about building bonds with your fellow travelers, be it through fighting monsters or fixing up a sprained ankle.

I'd love to hack this into a proper FFCC game.
Has anyone attempted to do so yet?

This sounds like a beautiful game and I will never get to play it like this because the rest of my group is a band of murderhobos

There's not much to hack at all, really. Just use FF monsters instead of the ones in the book and turn the Ryuujin into a moogle and you're pretty much halfway there.

As the player of a Magic-type character at level 4, thus with access to mid-level spells:

Not having Concentration on a regular basis makes a much bigger difference than you'd think. +1 is roughly equivalent to a full die-size difference, on average, and my spells are not universally applicable. When you choose Magic-type, you're choosing power peaks and power troughs, rather than a reliable "do better."

Yuri...cucks? I honestly can't parse this. Does "cuck" even mean anything anymore, or is it just the onomatopoeia for the sound shitposters make?

Sadly I'm not sure that poster will listen to your experience. Veeky Forums is big on judging games based on analyzing numbers and coming to conclusions, instead of actually playing games and seeing how they work in practice.

Probably because Veeky Forums doesn't get invited to games much

It's been fun so far. My group is a touch dysfunctional, but we're all having loads of fun

You're almost certainly right, but maybe someone else will read it~

I read it and will be using that explanation in a few weeks, when I show the game to my group.

Thanks user. Your effort wasn´t in vain

Halfway there isn't there.
There's no rules for races and I'd like to include Magicite in some way.

Rapid degradation of meaning is the norm here.
I'd say the latter is the more likely case.

>There's no rules for races
Play it as types. Fighter is Lilty, Magic is Yuke, Technical is Selkie. No one plays Hume anyways.
>magicite
Instead of choosing spells you roll for the chance to find em. Or you just fluff it as mage having magicite rings on them since that shit would be annoying to deal with.
>not good enough
Then do it yourself, nigga

There aren't rules for races but with the neko goblin character from the free supplement PDF you could theoretically extrapolate different races based on what's there.

They're called Clavat and I play them, thank you very much.

>They're called Clavat
That definitely makes that user right when it comes to their claim that nobody plays Humes then.

Then you're a boring normie

Would Ryuutama be a good system to run a game about traveling merchants?

There's literally a merchant class and the game is all about traveling, yes.

Offtopic I guess. Whatever, I absolutely detest that "art"-style.

Magic types are fucking bullshit. That's all I gotta say, other than that it's a fun system

Holy shit, the monster list includes magical milk giving cowgirls.

>JAAAAA-PAAAAAAN

I've mastered enough games to get my ryujin almost to max level. My current group involves a pretty boy merchant, a stronk huntress, the daughter of a cartographer, and a kid raised by nekoblins. They just crossed a cavern (which had some issues due to a jester demon's wrongdoings) and reached the inside of a continent-sized crater torn in an aeons-old between two superpowers. All while traveling in a caravan which includes the big bad bard.

Fun times.

Oh, also, regarding the magic vs othe types discrepancy, I just threw other classes a bone. Combat types get special combat maneuvers, like poke the back row with a spear, ignore protections with an axe, etc. And support types get to pick perks from a class of their choice.

It's the new -fag.

>sprained ankle
Travel checks are no laughing matter. Can can get absolutely REAMED if your physical skills aren't high enough.

You think I'm joking? One of our characters has sprained their ankle on every single travel check

You betcha! There's even a suggested scenario for a merchant caravan campaign in the new supplement. You can make Spice and Wolf happen if you'd like.

I read it, and appreciate your input.

I saw someone on the Something Awful forums take a stab at it. It looked alright, but it was PbP so, you know, it kinda fell apart before it could get started, as tends to happen.
forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597703&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2
if you want to take a look.

Our cartographer has D4 in both abilities necessary to make travel checks. So far, she survived just fine by virtue of the terrain having a herb that can heal travel-based injuries, handled by the medic. But, the area's gonna change soon. And when it does, I fully expect some fights to start with HPs in the single digits.

Yep, a good part of the game is focused around the selling of goods and services, and there's are mechanics for generating regional specialties.

Yeah, it's like Oregon Trail, minus horrible diarrhea death.

Ordering any more Japanese RPGs you might have. Preferably translated into English as I can't into moonrunes.

> Minus horrible diarrhea death
Not for player characters maybe, but black storytellers will find a way.

ETA on the sea-faring supplement? I wanna run cute pirates.

Oh shit never mind:
docs.google.com/document/d/1P-dZHtgehC6Q_Z_fdV1j3QFzxcqbj8m5MGUZMzbY8Rw/edit

Sick.

So the game has 4 GMPC's that help the party on their way but also have ways of Spicing up the game for the particular flavor of game you're playing.

The Red Dragon enjoys super murder combat
The Black Dragon enjoys dark tales of betrayal and murder.

Take your pick.

To be fair, both have other kinds of dephts, with the Red Dragon enjoying tales of heroism, standard JRPG plot against evil, or wartimes a la Fire Emblem, while the Black Dragon while indeed mostly about betrayal, murder, tragedy and misery, also covers investigation and mysteries, which I feel is often easily neglected.

But yes, they're still the best candidates to try to survive through a group of murderhobos I assume. Strangely, I had the opposite problem where the PC group I storytell for as a Green Dragon didn't want to fight the bears that threatened to maul them. Not until they learned how much bear skins are worth anyway.

Our group has three people like that.

I recommend having travels often involve a quick path through harsh terrain, or a much longer one, possibly with dangeorus creatures along the way, through a much more gentle one.

I love that this game encourages both types of behavior simply based on its mechanics.

>playing as a hat obsessed Haberdasher/Bodyguard
>Protecting my friend who's an arabian style merchant who sells my hats at exorbitant prices
>everyone constantly fails their condition rolls except us
>When combat starts, we're the only two in the "Front Area" making cool poses and kicking ass

I know this isn't indicative of the game but man I'm having a blast with this game just because of our constant BroForce

I don't care how "indicative" it is or is not, you're playing this game right in my book.

Players and GMs, tell us about your Ryujin.
Ours is a green one, well-meaning, but somehow he always looks so fucking shady. all the time. Even when nothing's wrong.
There's also other ones of each other colors, but they're more treated as NPCs tieing together parties of other NPCs. There's the blue seeking cute ness and homolust, the red which is Sean Connery in Highlander, with a horn. And the black one who just tries way too hard.

>And the black one who just tries way too hard.

How far does he get and do his efforts even matter?

Great idea, seems like a terrible esecution. The conflict is actually the usual standard fare of fantasy fighting, isn't it? Als

At least GSS, while being pretty rail-roady, is really about feel-good shit.

What is Ryuutamma (?)? What is the idea here? Is it the setting that interest people or is it the ruleset?

>The conflict is actually the usual standard fare of fantasy fighting, isn't it?
It's whatever you(r GM) want(s) it to be, Dave.

Have you tried reading the thread and/or the PDF?

Reading the book, it seemd to me that basically you're an adventurer that have to beat the shit out of monsters, in the end. Was my impression incorrect?

She. Tends to appear ominously at the end of scenes, looking like a horned crow with bright red eyes. That's kind of her vision of what makes a great story though, the ominousness, the thunder strike perfectly timed as someone declares something sinister. She also bribes rain dragons with turkish delights so they keep funerals appropriately sad-looking.
All in all, it doesn't factually amounts to much, but she's hardworking when it comes to the atmosphere. Not that the PCs will ever recognize her as that. Int heir eyes, she's just a bard-enabler.

>Have you tried reading the thread and/or the PDF?
Yes (the PDF). What system does it replace?

I'm a red ryugin watching over three of the most incompetent competent soldiers around. The sessions are quite fun

It's a game about comfy travels, game-sanctionned DMPCs, and Final Fantasy-style fightan.
The ruleset is the interesting part considering there is no premade setting. You're supposed to discuss it between the GM and players beforehand.

>What system does it replace?

Your impression was wrong on like... Every level?
I mean it technically can be that, with a red dragon in charge, but that's a very small subset of what the game has to offer.
Besides... I mean, do "merchant" and "farmer" sound like adventurer classes to you? The player characters are referred to as "travelers" for a reason.

>not discussing the setting before anyway

I will allow it. In the end I don't want the thread to be about me (and my opinions). It has to be asked thouh, WHAT SYSTEM DOES THIS REP - beep, beep

The basic adventure is about fighting (whatever your profession), and you have monster random encounters anyway.

What system does any system replace? Your question is silly.

TBZ and Double Cross are both in English, and they're both pretty good at what they do (though Tenra Bansho Zero is probably my favorite system ever, so I admit some slight bias there)

There's more rules for traveling than there are for fighting. In my campaign, the premise is delivering mail, and discovering the world.

>The basic adventure usually involves fighting
FTFY

That sounds awesome.

Not really? Like, I'm ten sessions in campaign right now and there hasn't been a single combat encounter and probably won't be for a while. We're mostly just traveling, exploring new towns, finding out more about the setting.

Same here - the big dramatic moment we had in our last session was racing into town before the big storm hit.

Sure there are, but that's not relevant. There are no pages about "sex" in AW, but the special moves are pretty important.

I was talking about the adventure at page 166. In the version I read there wasn't the one before it, so that was my impression, monster fightan pretty much obligatory. I was wrong.

It seems pretty bad to me anyway, because seeing the scenario creation rules it's basically a GM trying to dictate scenes without much for the players to select to do, but that's another point altogether.

>Not really? Like, I'm ten sessions in campaign right now and there hasn't been a single combat encounter and probably won't be for a while. We're mostly just traveling, exploring new towns, finding out more about the setting.

Tell us about your Ryuutama setting. Not just you everyone here.

You're wrong and you should feel wrong.

Doesn't the game actually dictates shit scene-per-scene? That's bad gamedesign.

This game seems fun and comfy as hell.

[Spoiler]It's a shame my D&D-obsessed players will never let me run any other system.[/spoiler]