SS13: Cyborgs are helpful - Edition

Welcome to d20Station.

BYOND Download link: byond.com/download/

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below. Click "Ok", or place the ip into your browser.
byond://76.16.8.127:28014
alt: byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>What the fuck is Space Station 13
A top down atmospherics simulator with a "whodunit" on top. Survive in the station and do your department's job, while fixing the problems that the antagonists cause.

>How the fuck do I play this game? I keep hitting myself with things.
Use OOC and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC.
other information can be found on the wiki. robustvinyl.com/ss13/wiki/

its monday morning on finals week for a bunch of people go back to bed
and maybe when we wake up the nightmare of low-pop will be over

>maybe when we wake up the nightmare of low-pop will be over
we gotta get more people for that

this is why i made this thread..

also i was hoping for some spacers in my time zone..

screwballs computer is fixed

so I can finally unload all those stocks on GTAV?

The next gen bar experience is here.

great now someone fix the spider-sushi

creative application
this is why I code things

Also: plates of different colors for pricing

What about carp sushi? Can we have chefs clean carps to get less meat with no toxins? Like that blowfish thing sushi chefs can do

Sawmill machine that works like the stacker when?
ability to hook a sink to the irrigation system of trays when
chemical generator that can produce a chem like the oddy syringe gun when
ability to hook this up to the irrigation system too when

ill work on automation stuff a bit later
the trick will be not to make small machines that each do very specific things but a machine that does a general action to a lot of objects (i.e instead of just a sawmill make some sort of cutting machine that makes boards out of wood or rods out of metal and ect)

So I just had the best round of SS13 ever and i wasn't even played
I joined my usual server, Baystation 12, and ghosted. I thought it was to late in the round to do anything useful

So anyway, there was a bird guy. What are they are called
anyway he was a terrorist/traitor and died. We will call him Tally
and another player worshiped these bird peoples, we will call him Cane.
So Cane, in his infinite wisdom, took the Tallys head and tail and sewed them onto a monkey and threw it into the cloner to create some sort of horrible mix breed abomination.
It didn't work, and it was a whole monkey, with Tallys brain in it.
Cane and the doctor helping him left the room and after they left the monkey was ejected from the cloner and woke up.
Tally was confused, and angry. So he ran around, biting people, hitting people.
Using the ships vents he got into the captains officer and stole a gun and then started shooting at people.
After a bunch of bull shit, security found him and 'arrested' him, all the while Medical was trying to find Tally and contain him.
The monkey-Bird didn't give him though, he kept at trying to escape and biting people. Stole guns off of security officers and shot them
eventually they just killed him. Because he was a pain in the ass.
SO CANE COMES UP TO THE BRIG AND TAKES THE DEAD BIRD MONKEY AND CLONES HIM AGAIN!
Can you guess what happened to Cane?
Tally-monkey clone Mk. II beat him within an inch of his life, and high jacked the medical exo suit that Robotics had built and used it to chase away the other doctor.
Apperently Tallys plan had been to get revenge on Cane for turning him into an abomination by in turn turning him into one.
He dragged canes broken body to surgery (Tally stole Canes medical ID), but sadly was killed by a man with a crowbar before he could finish his plan.
Oh and while all this was going on, a Blob popped up in Engineering, and security was trying to help deal with it.

>Continued

Someone in security apparently threw a frag grenade, and caused a breach.
All of security died
So after cleaning up the mess of Monkey-Exo Rampage 2: Electric Boogaloo, they doctors (also Cane left the game after Tally was violently beaten to death by another doctor with a crowbar.)
So the remaining doctors have to clone almost all of security
and tend to the wounded left over the from Monkey-Exo rampage.

I left after that because Christ who knows what might have happened next

>Someone in security apparently threw a frag grenade, and caused a breach.
>All of security died
I love this story

I wish I had more information on what the hell was happening with them but I was more interesting in the monkey

also figuring on making these machines process objects somewhat slower (not really wanting to make one machine able to shred stacks of wood in an instant) so it would encourage you to expand belts using splitters and such and get more throughput out of your system, possibly make an unstacking machine so you can more evenly split tasks between objects
can't really think of too many ideas for machines though besides
>cutting machine
>cuts wood into planks, planks into floor tiles, metal into floor tiles, tiles into rods, cuts cable into pieces, breaks glass sheets into shards, turns ice sheets into snowballs, ect ect
>smelter
>rework it so it doesn't soley accept ore and let it accept any object with metal, glass, or otherwise mineral content and return 75 to 80% of that value into liquid mineral allowing you to mass recycle objects into it instead of putting them into the lathe one by one
>unstacker that seperates stacks into seperate entities
>splitters and sorters still in the works
>possibly an assembling machine that works like an unsophisticated autolathe
>higher speed conveyor belts (which will require a bit of work in how they move things internally which it currently just moves things whenever the master controller procs, but it is possible to make it move things of its own accord on its own timer and at variable speed)

Might be worth giving all the factorio shit it's own controller/global timer to work off.

wouldn't be very feasable since the master controller will already try to handle everything irregardless, but I do want to split up controllers however i'm fairly sure that's beyond most of my grasp
besides factorio shit wouldn't have a ton of overhead if coded alright and would only really lag shit in giant scale. Like a cutting machine would be
>if bumped on input direction
>check what bumped me
>if its wood then destroy that wood log and make a new stack of wood with amount based on potency
>place new stack on output face

is that honestly how simple byond code is?

how in gods name is it spaghetti if it tends to be that straightforward

complexity varies a large amount
very simple code can be used for fairly useful behaviours.
very complex code at times is required for slightly more complicated behaviour

spaghetti comes from people who barely manage the first, while attempting the second, and it results in neither.

Any news?

people get promoted to admin, fancy themselves coders for it, and fuck everything up

repeat without rinsing for literally about 15 years, include a few brawls, and you have the modern SS13 codebases

it mostly boils down to finding and using the correct procs to do something or making your procs in a way that check the least amount of things possible
people however aren't formally taught anything about code in general, so when they go to code, as far as they're concened, if it compiles then it should work fine because "when I coded it I told it to do this so it should do this" when in reality they probably missed an indentation or did it in a really convulted and inefficient manner, like for example what nernums did to lighting
>lighting controller every 5 ticks would go through every single light in the world and check it for changes
>this would cause huge, unnecessary overhead as 98% of the time lights are sitting idle
>nernums fixes it so whenever a light changes, it adds itself to a list of lights that need updating for the lighting controller to check
>lighting controller can now run every tick and check for lights that need updates without needing to check every light in the world
>whenever it updates a light, it removes it from the list of lights needing updates so it doesn't loop through it again

Would some machine that loads crates be possible - some way of getting the materials that come out of the smelter into crates for dispatch would be good if we're doing this.

ending darkness station, anyone want to hop on and autism with me?

well not much aside from what was mentioned last thread.

not really news, just bouncable theory and what not

Any progress on making simple mobs not shit?

What's shit about them?

They've been getting better here bit-by-bit, but the general trend across servers is
>retarded AI
>>eg. only attacking standing, conscious humans
>arbitrary invulnerability to random shit because their mob simply doesn't process said shit
>>eg. fire, stun, space, many chemicals
>incompatibility with random things because coders never though of it
>>eg. what does gib?, how does blood work?

I know some improvements have been made, but I'd like to know what.

all of those have been addressed here except for the concious humans part

most mobs ai isnt much different but some of them have been modified.

>smelter
>rework it so it doesn't soley accept ore and let it accept any object with metal, glass, or otherwise mineral content and return 75 to 80% of that value into liquid mineral allowing you to mass recycle objects into it instead of putting them into the lathe one by one
Doesn't that make the grinder near obsolete?

do you mean the crusher? if you do, the crusher will crush absolutely anything, and roll for a full sheet of metal or glass
this smelter would still require objects that have metal/glass in them

honestly that would be a good thing

i've wanted since forever to change the way crates and lockers work internally - moving them from a flat "stores 30 items" to "stores a combined w_class of 60" or so. Makes much more sense since you can store a ton of pills in a locker but not the same number of shotguns
this would also allow for possibly more robust storage methods to be researched, or doing something like giving crates overall more capacity than lockers. The simplest solution may be some form of inserter or a filter that checks the relative fullness of an object's contents
inherently they are flawed as fuck since they were a) coded by errorage and b) coded as very dumb ai's that do very basic things which really hurts the idea that ss13 is about depth
retarded ai is difficult to fix since writing good ai is a very long and overhead intensive process, especially for mobs since they very often have to check a large radius around themselves for objects of interest every tick they update, and often you have a few tens or a few hundereds of these mobs running around.
>invulnerability
oversights on the original coder's part but nernums has addressed most of it so they make more sense to deal with (i.e if I can stun a human or slip him why can't I stun or slip a spider)
which would be a good thing because the grinder is garbage
while it's a good machine to fill a temporary hole in the game of "what do players do with unwanted objects" it should have stayed temporary until someone can make a better way to recycle objects that doesn't take the object, delete it, and then roll a die to see what kind of sheet you get, if any. it's always been entirely possible right now to print a cable coil of wire and snip off tiny pieces of it to toss into the grinder and get whole sheets of material out of it. Probably get energy out of it too since you can get plasteel which I think has iron and plasma when ground down, which you can make into a gas and burn.

there was an older one that was simply just dangerous and was only really used to destroy
frankly i'd prefer it.

who the fuck is this Fredxbox dude

He's one of the dudes that got Lee b&

Quick dev question. Just downloaded the newest version of Veeky Forumsstation and it compiled fine, but when I start the game I can't use any of the upper HUD elements. I just get a "tooltip" is not defined error. Any idea what might be causing this?

what happend with Lee?

banned by nernums for shooting newfriend who couldn't speak engrish
the shitlord shot me wordlessly with two stolen security pistols while wearing the captains id
i killed him because he couldn't speak English tho im a raisin :^)

As I imagine autistic Lee in situation where he can't talk to someone (when he at last attempted to) and ending up shooting the guy right in a face, I can't stop laughing internally.

I bet he made some Trump meme joke while doing this, am I right?

no
in reality i just annoyed nernums so he banned me for that really
what upset me was his shitposting

[Spoiler] George kills Lennie [/spoiler]

You must have rustle his jimies hard. It's sad you're banned tho.

im not banned anymore.

>numnums posts action logs proving you wrong when this shit went down
>still trying to say your version of what happened is right
if you aren't banned anymore just let it go friend

nice quads but dont be retarded

I can't stop crying externally

Brick walls yet?

when you sprite it

probably shit coding but seaech the code for "tooltip" and look for matches. You might just have a file not compiled so youll have to search around.

bump

Coming to play with two semi-newfriend buddies.

brick fortifications exist but they're pretty shit at the moment because they consult a hundered sided die for wether or not a projectile passes through them which is retarded

tell me crew
how would you use a robot arm item that tries every few ticks to use whatever you put in it on the item in front of it

cyanide syringes in a syringe gun
taser with a nuke cell
bike horn

it doesn't use it in hand it uses it on the object in front of it

Greyshit strapped to a chair?
Make the robot arm pinch his nipples off.

If more rocks like that sand one by cargo entrance get added, seems like a good start point for auto-mining.

You could probably also do something needlessly complex like an auto-stamper where you just throw a manifest in front of the robot arm with the right stamp to get stamped, with a conveyor then taking them all away to a point where you can stick them all in a crate and send them off in one load. Also if they can act like open hands, seems like it'd be the thing for loading crates automatically (once you've got the timing down right).

Depending on how it works, I could see something silly like making a row next to a wall and giving them metal to quickly try to repair any girder-state walls that crop up, whether through space dust or greytide.

That's literally the only way to effectively represent them, homie. It's not pure chance, it's based on integrity, so they have a 100% chance of blocking them when unharmed, but as they get shot up full of holes, they have more of a chance of letting shit through because they're full of holes. Cover gets less useful when it gets shot up.

It'd be foolish to have it use an incrementer to do "Every x times", because that's completely arbitrary and not only unrealistic, but it doesn't even make logical sense.

Having it directly mapped to health such that "Above X, always block,", "Below X, never block" is dumb for obvious reasons.

Having it regenerate health as the above is also dumb because then you have magical self-repairing fortifications.

Having POINTLESS random elements is dumb, but there are a lot of scenarios where random chance is appropriate, and this is one of them.

There's nothing wrong with Fortifications.

no there's better ways that don't fuck you over with dice rolls
just because it blocks the first shot doesn't mean projectiles slipping through and slamming you in the dick isn't bullshit
>list three terrible ways and then tell me because you found three terrible ways to do something means there's no better way to do it
no that just means that that's three terrible ways onto the first terrible way of doing it

it needs thinking over and it needs revisiting. Fortifications are shitty waist high walls that should be able to be vaulted or climbed over with assistance of something (probably a table or some shit, or just a verb). The blocking of shots for them is also not very good and projectiles fly through them all the time, especially on shotguns making hiding behind them pretty much worthless since you get rekt by buckshot anyways.
Thinking of having them always block projectiles in their normal direction as well as the opposite direction so as long as the shot doesn't originate within the tile of the fortification itself, so people that are standing far behind a fortification can be nailed but people actually bunkered down in them can't be hit until the fortification is destroyed.

The catch is making anything thrown easily pass through the fortifications, opening up fortifications as a weakness to thrown projectiles and grenades. This means even if cargo hunkers down behind brick fortifications with shotguns security can just toss a flashbang or teargas grenade in their cramped trench and then blast the fortifications apart or use mobile cover like riot shields to get close enough to vault the walls.
auto mining still needs bots of some sort since i'm not privy on making huge resource nodes factorio style. Bots would also need some kind of anchorable beacon or nav-beacon for a drop point, and probably at some point we can put in the unfinished fetch-bot (box on wheels with an arm) that would run around picking up any size

here's some ideas I threw at nernums when we discussed the feasability of a cyborg arm tasked with bashing things with whatever tool it had
>grenade assembly line where one arm grabs beakers and inserts them into casings, one team of arms prepares and screws together assemblies, and the last set of arms combines the beakers, casings, and assemblies into the grenade casing, while the last one secures the casing together
>automated surgery conveyor line that rips out brains and appendixes for your fast food emporium
>potentially an injection line that takes filled syringes and injects whatever passes by
>cycling water tanks that a robot arm fills a bucket at and uses on a hydroponics tray
the manifest stamper was actually an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of
>machine that hand loads magazines
>machine that assembles crossbows
>machine that beats a person strapped to a swivel chair with various unrobust blunt instruments over and over
>machine that automatically welds rods/tiles/glass shards into sheets
and on the part where I said something about someone on the other side of a fortification getting slammed I meant that niether party can benefit from the fortification more than the other since it blocks projectiles from both parties until one gets on the same tile as it

Everything was fine until that fucking chaplain ruined everything.

fuck off