How would angels fare against eldritch horrors?

How would angels fare against eldritch horrors?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonophorae
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the setting

Wait, you mean your angels AREN'T eldritch horrors?

Pathfinder, specifically.

That's some really bad art.

What's even going on with those spikes?

Probably not great

On average? Better than Humans, might even manage to make some slight difference before being driven insane and cast aside as broken, gibbering half-corpses.

Doesn't have to be Pathfinder

What level of eldritch abominations? If we are talking Old God level then they might as well butter their asses and slowly back into Cthulhu's mouth.

If it's against soggoth and servants it entirely depends on the angel.

If we are talking "in a war" level of conflict then it would be up whose patron god decides to lift their extra-planar ass off their throne and get to fucking shit up.

Those stakes are WAY too large, those bodies would just rip in half if you tried that in real life.

Also i know Big C is not a god, but he was the first one i could come up with

RIP

Hardcore handegg.

We are about to see in Eldritch Moon.

>handegg

Depends on the setting.

In Dominions 4, angels will generally get a new one ripped by a doom horror unless they´re heavily equipped with artifacts and lucky with the rolls. And still it depends which horror we´re talking about.

Aren't angels eldritch horrors themselves though?

Angels ARE Eldrich horrors, why do you think the first thing they always say is "be not afraid".

Eldritch Moon is gonna rock the house off of its foundation.

I can't wait for an Alabaster, Goldnight, and Heron flight throwdown against squigglies.

In dominions angels get rekt pretty fucking easily, though.

Even after they got that invuln buff, they're still not impressive.

Define your terms.

They get along pretty well.

i've seen enough hentai..yadda yadda

>inquisitor's all
>THIS, THIS SHIT IS THE HERESY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT
>SERIOUSLY, WTF
>HOW DID YOU EVEN GET THE BODIES ON TOP OF THE TUNING FORKS TO SACRIFICE THEM
>THERE'S EASIER WAYS TO HERESY THAN THIS

In the setting for PF angels aren't a single even power level for the most part. There are some really powerful ones in addition to lesser spirits (if you're counting Archons and shit.) "Eldritch Horror" also doesn't really mean anything in PF either- but there are some candidates you could argue for.

In the abyss, which is pretty much just an infinitely large and deep pit of utter chaos that surrounds the astral planes, before demons started showing up, there were the qliphoth, which is what you get when the Paiz writing team tries to scrape through esoteric qabbalistic mysticism to find names for new factions in the admittedly interesting astral landscape. They're essentially the first "beings" of reality, that may or may not have been either created independently from the will of the divines, or may have existed before creation, somehow. Most of them are weird spidery things that seek to remove demons, daemons, and all life capable of feeding the abyss with sin so that they can have their turf back. Some of them are sentient, some are more like natural predators of lesser demons in hell, like animals. There are rumors of unspeakably huge qlippies further into the abyss that are pretty much just those tentacle whales at the end of the first Hellboy film. Angels are probably on rough even footing with them on individual basis, as outside of some magical and obscure poison powers, they aren't uniquely powerful in any way. Their real advantage is that pretty much zero is known about them. That said, they also got their asses mostly kicked by demons anyways.

Denizens of the Dark Tapestry are the other possible candidate, many of them quite literally being ripped from lovecraftian mythos. Their whole shtick is that they exist on the material plane, but most of them have deific powers. They might also have existed before the technical creation of reality in the golorion setting, but that's a tough call considering I'm not sure if Golorion is just one such copy of the material plane, or if it is just a planet thereof, or crystal spheres or some shit. There are numerous references to other worlds, but as the whole setting is a mess in general, it's hard to tell if the universe is Golarion-centric with other worlds, or what. Regardless, the dark tapestry is any space "between the stars," which leads me to think of intergalactic space. Denizens thereof therefore are almost unheard of in local astrological study. Almost all of them have some sort of very strong link to madness however, and there are strong hints that their influence in the setting is actually rather advanced, if seemingly accidental. Zon-Kuthon, for example, was a local deity that it seems visited the dark tapestry and was made host to some other alien intelligence there, becoming what he is now. Rovagug is very possibly from the Dark Tapestry (or Outer Darkness or whatever) and it was so powerful that it took a host of deities to band together just to imprison it, and even that only sort of worked. Angels could take some of their cronies, maybe, but in terms of power level, these guys sort of sit at the top of the Pathfinder chain.

diablo style

angels are weaker in general but daemons fight amongst each other and via for power in a way that angels dont

cooperation boyz >

You tell me

A solar is going to fuck most of them up except for the big guys in the far realms.

I don't think angels were weaker, especially since the angels led an incursion into hell which resulted in Diablo's original death. The Prime Evil being in their seat of power and corrupting that which gave them power weakened them.

Depends on if the horror has drunk the light of the two trees yet.

biblical angels are eldritch horrors 2bh

this illustration here depicts an angel as actually described in the bible

others are like these four-headed burning chimeras that also have eyeballs everywhere

Tribal tattoos were described in the bible?

>WHY DO YOU EVEN HAVE GIANT TUNING FORKS?
>WHAT THE HELL KIND OF TOWN IS THIS?
>TUNING FORKS OF THIS SIZE ARE USELESS
"We use them for parades and stuff.
>TO WHAT?
"... Tune our instruments."
>BAG. IN THE. GET. FUCKING.
"But-"
>UP THE SHUT FUCK

This has been debated into the ground on Veeky Forums, but other than a very specific kind of angel none of them looked like this.

Nah, there's a basic difference between them.

Eldritch Horrors don't give a shit about you, and any reaction to you is more a shiver of revulsion than anything else.

Angels take an interest in us. They find people, they have specific purposes.

If you see an Eldritch Horror, you can run. With Angels, you can't.

Thrones are said to look like that. I said in my post there were other descriptions.

My campaign is secretly about angels orchestrating events to kill an eldritch horror, because I don't really like cosmic horror stories.

The problem is that I want to have it feel like a cosmic horror story right up until it's learned that you can win.

How do?

Have an angel fly down giving the finger to everyone and yelling out "PSYCH!" while doing a kickflip off a skateboard.

Show the damage that the Eldritch horrors can do and emphasize the concept that the party can't do anything significant to stop them

Then show an example of one of the eldritch horrors getting it's shit pushed in when you want to imply a way to beat them

that really depends, an Angel can be scarier than a cosmic horror.

Seeing how eldritch abomination are interdimendional, but angels serve an allmighty god in some definitions, I don't think dimensions help them much then.

As I recall from the last time I saw some armchair anthropologists get into it, the only angels to look freaky were Thrones. The rest were variations on pretty winged human.

Have the angels come across as slightly less insane demons. convince the players to work with them since they're the only ones not trying to eat them on sight. Imply heavily the whole "deal with a devil" aspect, where they know they're going to get fucked over but since they can't see how and it seems to align with their own goals they'll do it.

>The rest were variations on pretty winged human.

literally nowhere does that sort of description appear in the bible

the other angels were different kinds of freaky looking, like the burning chimera monsters with multiple heads

>eldritch horrors
We got those in the sea
We kill them for fun too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonophorae

More fun descriptions of Angels from the bible:
"Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: “ ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’who was, and is, and is to come.”" (Also known as Seraphim)

"And this was their appearance: they had a human likeness, but each had four faces, and each of them had four wings. Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the sole of a calf's foot. And they sparkled like burnished bronze. Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. And the four had their faces and their wings thus: their wings touched one another. Each one of them went straight forward, without turning as they went. As for the likeness of their faces, each had a human face. The four had the face of a lion on the right side, the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and the four had the face of an eagle. Such were their faces. And their wings were spread out above. Each creature had two wings, each of which touched the wing of another, while two covered their bodies. And each went straight forward. Wherever the spirit would go, they went, without turning as they went. As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches moving to and fro among the living creatures. And the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning. And the living creatures darted to and fro, like the appearance of a flash of lightning." Also known as Cherubim)

>dominions
>the games that quietly stumped all vidya game pirates, nobody can crack, and nobody ever talks about.
one of the only virtual games I've ever brought.

So
You're the author of the book of revelataions.
Running around the Mediterranean, being persecuted by the romans and shit
as far as you have in your literature to this point, jesus got fucked up by the romans, the romans have badass gods that can fight and shit, and christians have jesus who was a puss

seems reasonable to write up a story about how christians have ruthless sounding monster angels and jesus isn't a total puss and he can fuck shit up, and that christians should not worry because god will make all this badass shit happen

it's like a pissing contest between religions
someone thought Christianity needed spicing up a bit, they were lacking in badassery.

they way overdid it.

It's Revelation, not Revelations.

And Jesus doesn't start kicking ass in Revelation. He doesn't fight anybody. He's still sacrificed, but he destroys the world too.

Let's be perfectly honest, here
If Christians were going on about how you'll find salvation and wisdom in the bosom of THESE things, there would probably be fewer atheists
Saying "I don't believe in some old dude with a longass beard that lives in the clouds" is a lot easier than saying "I don't believe in the existence of X'narla'hos'teph the Great Devourer of Leviathans and Purger of Demonic Impurity"

Like shit, I'd pledge my devotion to a fucking Eldritch abomination of a god
YHWH, Qoph Nun Aleph, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, the Most High Elohim
Abrahamic religions can be metal as fuck when they want to be

Wow, I'm not even christian or religious and that post was like something a edgy loser would say word for word

Pl tell me you're not atheist
Because we don't need more fedoras giving us a bad name with you childish gibberish

That second one's from Ezekial, not new testament, back from Judaism.

It's pretty easy to see how Kerubim developed out of Shedim.

Here's another from Daniel: " “After that, in my vision at night I looked, and there before me was a fourth beast—terrifying and frightening and very powerful. It had large iron teeth; it crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. It was different from all the former beasts, and it had ten horns."

It's actually a similar creature to the one from Ezekial, because it surrounds the throne of the Ancient of Days.

Thing is, it used to be
>X'narla'hos'teph the Great Devourer of Leviathans and Purger of Demonic Impurity will nibble on your toes in hell for eternity if you don't buckle up, you shits!
Then they noticed no one liked being yelled at all the time and pulled a grand PR overhaul to be all about forgiveness and shit.

I don't know, they may not have liked being forced to bash their firstborns against the rocks but there were a lot fewer atheists back then too
Coincidence? Probably not

According to Maimonides any attempt to anthropomorphize God, as a man in the sky, or an eye that watches or an ear that listens, is blasphemy.

So God is supposed to be pretty eldritch insofar as being unknowable, unnameable, and incomprehensible.

>it crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left
That's a weird way to describe an angel. What's stranger still is they didn't immediately say which Godless heathens were being devoured. Bible's usually pretty quick to show you how God punished them for being the wrong color or whatever.

It made sense to me. Romans were all about their gods being powerful warriors, if you wanted to recruit them to your religion you'd have to come across as strong as well, right?

Their science was also undeveloped, which always makes it easier to be religious.
CHECKMATE, ATHEIST.
Wait, shit.

God damn it. Can we get some fucking new angel art? I mean, three times in one thread is a bit much.

>It made sense to me.
>uses puss
>and badass
okay

I don't care about religion but you sound like you some middle schooler.

I bet you are a satanist aren't you
Because that is "badass"

Scientific method was developed by a muslim
so check mate away

It's a representation of an empire. Which one depends on when you think his prophecy was intended for.

It's also been thought to be God's Wine Press, as seen in Revelation. So its victims would be "grapes" (Which produce blood. An... interesting idea.)

The "pretty winged humans" meme is too prevalent. No one actually wants to draw angels as the grotesque monstrosities they're supposed to be.

I don't actually have many but I'll post the ones I do have

All I got, famalams

That reminds me. Megaten's a interesting place to go if you want humanoid, but still strange angels.

Almost everything gets obliterated by doom horrors though.

However, if we're talking Lovecraftian abominations, a closer approximation is the shit that R'lyeh summons through the void gate, in which case it largely depends on the angel in question. A Seraph will wreck shit, though a Harbinger will die pretty quickly without any gear. Fallen Angels are absolute rapetrains against anything except other SCs and Doom Horrors, and Chayot struggle to buff themselves due to their stupid formchanging shit.

It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Ignoring his terminology it made sense. Not everything has to sound like a legal document to make a point.

Good for it? What is this meme lately, you're the third person to act like the invention of the scientific method is all science is comprised of and thusly people from the past were completely scientifically literate. You realize there have been scientific advances since then, right? Despite what the jokes say, your average American is more scientifically informed now than your average person was back then.

Of course, there's also the four archangels in SMTIV, who looked a bit different.

>first one i could come up with
you are a shame to your family

it isn't prevalent here anymore. I like pretty winged angels. or cool humanoid angels. all the things you fools post are seraphim, cherubim and ophanim. there are more types, you dummies. principalities, archangels, and angels were all almost completely humanoid.

Angels: spell resistance, flight, magic powers, resistant or immune to mind control

Abberations: many tentacle attacks, mind affecting magic

The automatic mind protection is a big advantage.

nyarlathotep?
yog-sothoth?
azathoth?
no?

angels might stand a chance against Cthulu, considering the great old ones can be trapped on earth. realy the mere fact that Cthulu happens to be on earth in massive and indifferent cosmos shows that he's not powerful on a cosmic scale. He's just a really bad monster. in d&d think level 300 or something.

Azathoth on the other hand is level a number to big for us to comprehend, probably the sum of multiple infinities with different sizes

>level 300
You know cthulhu was put back to sleep by physical force, yes?

>Angels and demons and mythical beasts fight against eldritch horrors from beyond the stars
Thats a neat idea

He was barely stirring at the time

That didn't happen though. Cthulhu stopped being solid when the boat hit it, and reformed afterwards, and then decided to go back to sleep cause the stars weren't right yet. The boat didn't do shit to him

And Metatron's a robot for some reason.

>literally nowhere does that sort of description appear in the bible

Sodom and Gomorrah.

They were pretty, but not winged, as shown by the fact that they were mistaken for humans. The only winged angels explicitly described where the seraphim, whom had 3 pairs of wings.

Not to mention some christians are dumb enough to think humans become angels when they die. But American evangelicals aren't to big on an a consistent theology anyway.

Exceedingly well. Angels would curb stomp the shit out of eldrich horrors, especially if You Know Who got involved (which wouldn't nececarily be too uncalled for if Elder Gods were involved).

>think humans become angels when they die
Well, not in general, but there are examples in the bible where certain humans have become angels after they died.

For example, Enoch and his brother became the angels Metatron and Sandalphon respectively when they died.

If you read the bible you would know angels are eldritch horrors there is a reason they said be not afraid.

>Implying that Yog-Sothoth isn't YHWH

Seeing as Eldrich horrors use mind control and angels are immune to that, I'd say the Angels win by a long shot. They just have to root out the source of the evil, destroy it, then travel to the dimension that the horror came from and destroy it there.

Angels are really OP.

>watch a Solar wreck shit without even swinging his sword because the sword swings itself.

>they were mistaken for humans
In Judaism (specifically, in the Kabbalah), there are two kinds of angels: Angels and "angels"

Angels are supernatural beings that serve the will of god and usually look freaky looking (not all of them, though). Also, while this user is right about biblical depictions, many oral depictions of Archangels describe them as having wings.

"angles," on the other hand, are literally anything that acts as a messenger from god, even if this "angel" is not aware that it's a messenger.
You know the three angels who were invited in Abraham's tent and told him Sarah would conceive a son? Those weren't Angels, but "angles;" they were just normal dudes who told Abraham what god wanted Abraham to hear.
Source: my grandfather's been studying Kabbalah for close to 50 years, and he's been teaching me on and off for almost 5.

Hallelujah.

NGE is shit.

this character is actually a bard and these are diapasons
gotta get that A just right

you want some angels, son ?

Post the one with the anime eyes.

Fortunately I don't have that

Also do you know that Lucifer was kicked out of heaven because of his arrogance and stubornness ?
He was an obtuse angel