MTG Modern General

Hello friends. What decks are you playing? What's your opinion on Abzan Coco? Is it going to be the new deck to beat? Personally I'm enjoying the meta right now, it's pretty diverse and there's a bunch of stuff I haven't seen before. Loving modern right now. What are you guys playing and brewing and beating and all that fun stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/406964#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is Figure of Destiny still in modern? I'm not too keen on what sets are in.

Yeah it still is.

Once a card enters Modern, its only exit is the banlist. Figure of Destiny entered Modern in Eventide and never exited.

With Twin and Eye of Ugin gone--mostly Affinity, Abzan Company and UWR Resto-Kiki (I need to put that shit to bed). Thinking of sleeving up Jund next week.

That actually sounds fairly neat. I wish it was legacy so we run pox/ triskaidekaphobia. Would it even be worth building around Felidar Sovereign?

They can be fun if they allow/force you to draw a lot. If they just mill off the top then it gets pretty annoying.

I don't actually think I'd lose as much as you seem to think. Even if I did, I just wouldnt play modern in tournies. Like I said before, I play against modern decks a lot, just not in tournaments so I don't have to use them.

>What decks are you playing?
Grixis, UB Fae and Prison.
>What's your opinion on Abzan Coco?
It's the new Pod. Fair and fun to play against, so I'm expecting an undeserved banhammer if it keeps getting results.
>Is it going to be the new deck to beat?
I hope so. Most of the hate for it hits other decks, so it doesn't demand obscure SB answers like Twin did. I think if Twin stuck around it wouldn't be the powerhouse deck it is.

>What are you guys playing and brewing and beating and all that fun stuff?
There's been a resurgence of Scapeshift in my meta, and having to waste sideboard slots for the matchup blows. There wasn't enough Tron to justify Crumble To Dust, but now I might have to side 3-4 in Grixis. Fracturing Gust annihilates Prison in one swoop. Faeries need to race it, which isn't what the deck wants to do.

Playing Kiki-Chord at the moment, I do, however, like Abzan Coco as a deck and can see it being top tier. The meta has been the healthiest it's been in a while. Just trying to spice up the chord deck a bit with some one of's that I think have potential

Sulfuric Vortex reprint when

>modern
>diverse

What? The format is literally all about turning creatures sideways. All brain-dead bullshit that has every game decided by the opening hands. Are you one of those Standard players that only look for colour diversity, and genuinely think that a format that's 100% aggro/midrange is diverse?

Yeah let's buff Burn. The deck REALLY needs help...

I bet you're the faggot who thinks Price of Progress should be Modern-legal too.

Price of progress wouldn't hurt modern at all. And burn isn't a good deck anyway, buffing it a little wouldn't matter much.

I'm glad guys like you dont go to my flgs.

Pardon me...

>burn isn't a good deck

I like it here. You guys don't mind if I invite a couple of my boys over do you?

It's not. It's a high % of the meta game because it's easy and cheap(ish) but it runs out of gas too quickly with extremely limited interaction and even one hate card takes it out of the game. It's essentially a combo deck that takes 3-4 uninterrupted turns to win. And you beat PoP the same way you beat blood moon. Fetch basics.

>One of the most highly used decks in competitive play of all time.
>Costs pennies on the dollar compared to decks it beats.
>Archetype literally called Red Deck Wins.

And in modern it's not really that good. Just heavily represented. And it will always be heavily represented for the reasons you listed. People getting into modern look at all the top played decks and say "wowee! Burn is cheap!" And just buy into it without thinking any further.

No, because pauper decks are cheaper. Goblin decks can be fairly cheap as well. They go to rdw because its cheap AND it wins. Ari Lax just finished in second a few years ago in a GP with rdw.

You throw a million threads at a needle and one is bound to get through the eye. Doesn't mean burn is a good deck.

It should.

You're really comparing RDW to one in a million odds? How much do you know about mtg? Do you just really hate burn decks or something?

I don't know what to tell you man. Do you really think burn is a good deck when it folds to a single life gain card or drawing more than 3 lands?

Youre obviously referring to really shitty burn decks though. Any good deck in any archetype has backups. Burn decks arent just pure burn, they often have a fuckton of quick creatures as backup plans. To say burn in general isnt a good deck is just stupid to me. No it's not an incredible decktype, but its definitely capable of being good if its not some retard playing it.

Nah it's pretty bad man. Just a lot of people playing it. Its really kind of shit.

>hurr jund is a good infect matchup
>durr burn is a bad deck

This fucking general, I swear.

So whatever happened to modern event decks? I thought they sold well.

Literally all you say is it's bad. Or claim it can be shut down by one lifegain as if burn decks only run 20 points of damage. Im fully convinced you just get wiped by burn decks on the regular.

It may have something to do with the value of them. IIRC m13 event decks were like 50 at my local shop right when they came out, and the msrp was like supposed to be 25-30. The meta changes so much as far as value is concerned that it maybe just wasnt a good enough thing to produce. But im terrible with money and have no clue if thats accurate.

Given your passive-aggressiveness and how awful your opinions are, it's probably full of nu-males, redditors, and 12 year olds. Fuck off, faggot.

Has there ever been a good pre con deck by wizards?

Hello fellow chord bruh
What are those spicy one of you're refering to?

Confirmed for being swept by burn
Every
Time.

Graveborn was probably the best and it was still shit.

I'm trying duskwatch recruiter as a one of and I've been playing with Kessig Wolfrun for a while and love it.

Rat's Nest

Burn is great because of how ineffective hate is against it, at least now.

>Leyline? I'll Destructive Revelry
>Kor Firewalker? Path it.
>Feed the Clan? You gain 10 life? Lol no bro I got this card called Atarka's Command...

Burn is good because of how well it boards against hate. It still loses pretty hard if your opponent gets like 2 hate cards, but that means players have to devote like 4 slots to burn to consistently beat it post board. It is one of the best decks in modern, easily top 3. It just never wins events because 99% of burn players are incontinent retards who destructive revelry a spellskite.

Dusk watch is interesting, my 2 drop slot is clogged to duck though, what's your 2 drops look like? Also, I'm always going to run township over wolf run, just my opinion.

3 Wall of Roots
3 Wall of Omens
4 Voice
1 Pridemage, Scooze, Spellskite, Melira, and Lone Missionary

There's nothing wrong with casting revelry on a spellskite. I mean as long as there's no wurmcoil on the other side, and they can't produce blue, and the wurmcoil is lethal. Then that's just retarded.

Lol can I just see your decklist? Also are you on the Nahiri train?

mtggoldfish.com/deck/406964#paper
Here's the list I took 4th with at MO states. I'm skeptical on Nahiri still but willing to try one or two.

Revelrying a Spellskite earlygame, depending on the board state, can be a good idea in order to let your creatures deal more damage. Lategame also works if there's nothing better to kill.

Agreed, look at the SCG semi-finals this weekend.Tron V Burn

Okay I know this is question is done to death but while we're on the subject of burn

Does Wild nacatl belong in burn and make the deck better

Yes/No and why?

>people getting into modern look at all the top played decks and say "wowee! Burn is cheap!"

Except Infect is cheaper and gets better results. People playing Burn are not newbies trying to enter a new format, it's stupid for you to think this way, stupid and retarded.

>responding to trolls

Yes. I was in denial at first but Burn desperately needs an early creature to win.

>pic related is this fag and his friends

in your opinion what comes out to make slots for nacatl?

my list is basically stock, runs 19 lands 3 searing blaze 2 skullcrack and 2 lightning helix
everything else is a playset except ol lavamancer

>not feeding them for your own amusement

>innocent looking kids playing magic and seemingly having very good conduct and sportsmanship.

You can just say that you think they're immature or something, the image doesnt seem very insulting.

Incorrect sir
t. former mono-red guideless burn player

It's the fetch+shock version of vexing devil with the upside of being even more value if left unchecked. No haste means its a bad top draw. I feel like you might as well go zoo and use reckless whacker for sick nactyl plays, you'd get better results (although theres a merit to not overinvesting in creatures, dat anger of the gods)

The real question is whether or not Thunderous Wrath or Mana Clash should be in burn. Someone is bound to win a GP off a miracle.

I have played with and against Burn a lot (I have played most Modern decks a lot, to be honest) and this was the strongest mainboard by far.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm
4 Atarka's Command
3 Searing Blaze
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Arid Mesa
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
3 Sacred Foundry
2 Stomping Ground
3 Copperline Gorge
2 Mountain

Sideboard definetely involves Skullcrack, Searing Blaze, Deflecting Palm, Path to Exile and Destructive Revelry. The rest is what suits your meta best.

>retards who destructive revelry a spellskite
That game still hurts my soul. Also that guy won an Open series several months back.

That image is whatever you want to believe it is. You must be a parent or close to one for having that kind of view.

How is that incorrect, it's just a matter of perspective. Sure, mono red is cheaper than infect, if you fucking leave out eidolon guide bloodmoon and all other important cards.

that's about what i've run before -1 gorge +1 lavamancer except I feel that it leaves a lot to be desired for targeted removal.

i can see cutting 2 mainboard skullcracks but the 2 lightning helix' while definitely flex slots seem to make a big difference when you desperately need to take care of a creature.

also i feel like my sideboard is pretty tight, not sure what to drop
2 d palm
3 path
3 d revelry
2 rest in peace
2 kor firewalker
2 stony silence
1 kataki war's wage

I feel maybe kataki or the rest in peaces could come out?

i dont have 3 stony silences so kataki is basically filler and rest in peace is vs jund/living end/melira

what do you think is the weakest in the sideboard, disregarding local meta if I were to go to a bigger tournament.

>If they just mill off the top then it gets pretty annoying.
Annoying? More like awesome. Thanks for the turn 2 Tasigur or the giant Tarmo.

Eidolons arent even that pricey. The cost of a cheap land.

Wait a few years and they will

>Price of progress wouldn't hurt modern at all.
I thought DesolatorMagic was clueless about Modern. Congrats on setting a new low.

>playing Grixis Delve against an all-out non-combo mill deck
I don't usually like playing scrubs, but it was like fucking Christmas.

Not at all. Ya'll fit in nice in my Eldrazi Taxes list! Just be sure to play nice with Thalia. Nice gal but she'll slice ya to ribbons.

>RDW
>folds to a single life gain card
What magical card would that be?

i'd say martyr of sands is pretty crippling if it goes off.

I've had soul sisters martyr against me twice in one turn :')

I mean I guess, but you're never winning that match-up regardless I think.

nah, it depends honestly, i've consistently beaten it until recently, I used to mainboard 4 skullcracks though so...

mfw paired against mill.

It's almost impossible, though. There's only going to be one person that out of touch with the metagame out of 20-30 and I have to get paired early, since the dude can't win.

It can be pretty decent with janky colors.

Or if your meta is infested with Soul Sisters, you could always use Leyline of Punishment.

Rest in Peace is for what exactly

Most matchups can we won via brute force

>and rest in peace is vs jund/living end/melira

it helps vs grishoalbrand and other lower tiered decks as well

Sorry I'm tired

I'm not sure RIP is where we want to be. Can't say I'm thrilled by the idea of siding in non-burn against Jund, because that deck is pretty soft to firepower to the face.

It sounds good against the rest you mentioned though.

well, rest in piece turns scooze into a 1/1, a 200$ goyf into a 1/2 and makes finks moderately less annoying.

next time i go vs jund i might not side in anything I guess? maybe d-palm for a big goyf?

semi-related,

is there money in buying boxes and selling cards, or do you pretty much end up even? I've gotten pretty lucky with YuGiOh, but MTG seems to have more valuable cards

>scooze into a 1/1, a 200$ goyf into a 1/2

>What is Abrupt Decay and Pulse

watch the booster box game on youtube

usually you whiff on the 100 dollars you buy the box for

Even if it was economical to buy boxes and sell cards (it isn't), there's no way the labor involved will make it worthwhile.

>board in leyline vs burn
>what is destructive revelry

>implying just because a hate card has an answer it makes it worse in the match up

I was afraid of that, thanks for the heads up

I've made more than double my money back on YuGiOh boxes (when The Duelist Genesis came out, I made like $150 in ghost rare Stardust Dragons alone.) I thought MTG would be worth it too, but I know the expensive-card ratio per box is lower

>ghost rare
I bought a set of ghost rare Gorz (meta call, shut up), and unless you're looking at it from that one perfect angle it looks completely blank, like when you scrub a foil with acetone. Never again.

I know, when I first bought the box I hadn't heard of ghost rares and thought I had gotten a misprint. Looked it up and saw it was worth (at the time) $130, and considering I only paid $90 for the box I couldn't have been happier

I dont see what was so bad about targeting the Spellskite over the Wurmcoil Engine. No matter what the burn player did, he would have needed to topdeck a burn spell instead of that land. Tron would have gained three life anyway from the lifelink token and put the burn player out of the game.

Generally, killing the wurmcoil engine would have been smarter, but it didnt matter in this scenario.

>well, rest in piece turns scooze into a 1/1, a 200$ goyf into a 1/2

How the fuck did you get those numbers?

by not knowing the cards in jund very well

goyf a 0/1 and scooze a 2/2

gomenasai

They are usually good but only vs each other

That's the point

Affordable decks that actually work, against each other, perfect for beginners (against other beginners)

Doesn't really appeal to me much but it seems like wot hit the mark they were aiming for

BG/x runs no less than 4 pieces of permanent removal main deck, and aggressively mulls for it vs aggro decks anyways.

4+ maindeck answers plus board vs 1-of or 2-of sideboard counters aren't really comparable. Theres a difference between "a deck has an answer" and "my deck is literally built out of answers."

Its the same logic that "Infect and Thopter hose Jund" tards don't understand

My bet is that you're a butthurt faggit who's just salty that his $1000 deck gets beaten by a deck much better, and much cheaper than his.

even if they have removal for it, it still empties the graveyard, shrinking goyf, eating your turn 2 or 3 and a piece of removal, it just doesn't seem that bad to be honest.

>fair
>unexpected ban
Bwahaha.

It also slows you down in turn because you just spent a turn and two mana to cast it, doesn't win the game on it's own, dilutes your gameplan, and requires jund to have a specific hand to be effective. And really, whatever specific hand jund needs to have for RIP to be effective can be beaten without the need for it.

Sitting tight on my Jund, just updated to Kleetus v2.0. Got some Sin Prodders on speculah. Gonna finish my Naya Burn and step down the Modern expenditure in favour of Pauper for a spell, the format seems pretty good but prices are becoming a problem imo. Still gonna prep for GPLA though, hyped a.f.!

am I confused on how Jund wins?

Don't they swing with big goyfs and stabilize with finks and scooze?

>not selling out of modern and getting into legacy and pauper

You're not, but you've clearly didn't read the rest of my post. Those hands can still be beaten with a normal burn draw. Speed is another form of resilience, and what you want to be doing is to kill them before those cards become relevant.

Night I was just saying that!

A couple of weeks ago I finally had the place to cast Ponder and Preordain for the first time in my life. I finally got to cast a Counterspell in a long, long time. I was so happy. God bless Pauper, the little blighter. Screw Jund, it cost me ~$2000 and brought me nowhere near the amount of happiness a little $50 Delver deck brought me.

well, i understand what you said, I think I am just abnormally scared of jund because the only person who plays it in our meta is one of the best local players.

what's your sideboard plan against jund? Until recently I used to play burn since Zendikar block and Jund has never been a bad matchup for me.