Was he a hack?

Other urls found in this thread:

top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>LOOK! I POSTED IT AGAIN!

Are you a shitposter? Yes.

He was a product of his time

He was redpilled.

Wait, so is this a commonly made thread these days? I was afk for a couple months there, just got back in time to see /qst/ being made.

OP spamming this topic like a faggot?

Seems like there is a fag who spams this tread, Spooney thread, redeemed succubus thread and hates dwarfs

The elf-hate is more common now tho

Only right answer.

we are standing on the shoulders of giants, and they have stinky feet.

What the hell is Spooney thread? I see all the other ones constantly, but I've never heard of this.

Get the fuck back on the IRC you pizza shit.

is that the guy from the lone gunmen

And that is the same thing those who come after us will be saying of us.

What? If anything, it has gone down. The height of the hate was two years ago. Probably because people just go full /pol/ instead of going fantasy-/pol/.

maybe

His time was a better time.

>Reminder that he advocated Grey Knight style Lawful Good.

Hell yeah he did. Slave mentality is for betas.

He was a dick who looked down on anyone who used houserules

You're right about all of those except the dwarf thing desu senpai. :^)

Spoony's an old internet critic who used to focus on video games, films and occasionally dug into his roeplaying past. Rose to modest fame, then slid right back into obscurity. He slammed 5e without really looking at the game; one of the criticisms being the book smelled weird.

The shitposter in question creates a thread with an image of Spoony, with a reference to smelly rulebooks.

>Egalitarianism is un-American
This is how this reads

Would Gygax be a Trump supporter?

Probably.

>In order to mentally digest dissenting opinions, I must reduce them to caricatures, because I am dumb
This is how this reads.

Man of Straw.

Yes, because Gygax original post is most definitely NOT a strawman who doesn't understand what egalitarianism is and instead is literally adding things to it just to ridicule the whole concept.
Fucking lovely.

>Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
>According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English: either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights; or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people, economic egalitarianism, or the decentralization of power.

when will the strawmen leave? before they're btfo or after?

"And concludes that all should not only start but finish equally. It denies that every human is different"

Please find me this in the definitions you've posted. Oh, right, you can't, because Gygax was full of shit grumpy old fart at that point of his life.

He's not adding things. He's giving his very brief opinion on what he *believes* the philosophy begets. That's an important distiction. Not that A = B but that you believe A, despite its good intentions, leads to B. He wasn't targeting anything but the philosphy and you don't have to agree with it but you also don't need to put words in his mouth when he didn't even mention the U.S.

That's textbook strawman.

>And concludes that all should not only start but finish equally.

What is Affirmative Action for 500 Alex

>one of the criticisms being the book smelled weird.
To be fair, a couple of 5e books I bought as a gift for a friend smelled like shit and one of them had sticky pages.

And I'm giving a very brief opinion of what I think about his opinion, so? Funny how one can be treated as harmless while other is instantly strawman

What's an underrepresented minority?

Whatever the graph makes it

you sure they were not pre-owned?

RPGs would have still been invented, and probably without the shit heap that held it back for years, DnD, which still today dominates the market despite having NOTHING to offer.

>DnD, which still today dominates the market
It must be sad to be American

Because that's the last and only place where D&D holds out as anything but historical footprint

everything other than straight white male

top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html

Consider at least casually googling for an otherwise common term before getting triggered, user.

Nah, they had that "fresh off the press"-shit smell, and the stickiness disappeared after opening the same page twice or so.

Dammit, I don't count as a URM.
Still, even if I've done a shitload of good stuff for my school my gpa is shit so there's that

>Common term
Nice one, /pol/
Any other brilliant ideas like dodging the definition? After all it's so common we don't need nor have one, right?

Linguistics student here.
After giving his Extraordinary Book of Names (or however that piece of junk was called) a quick read, I can give a clear answer to your question:
Yes. An unbelievable hack.

Probably because your opinion only consists of an insincere caricature of one person.

How do you recommend choosing names?

He made some really good stuff, his only flaw was that he failed to capitalize on the newer demographic that became interested in the hobby. He was designing dungeon grinders for people who preferred more of a simple and toned down game.

>Was he a hack?

To be fair he was, but also he slashed, pierced, and bludgeoned.

>Things that were relevant before moores law and impending automation.

>TFW Gygax doesnt even know the difference between CG and LG

>his only flaw
>only

Three options, assuming we're talking about fantasy games like DnD.
One: Pick any combination of sounds that you like and think fits your character. It could be Jon, it could be Drizzt, it could be Ph'ngluimglw'nafhcthulhur'lyehwgah'naglfhtagn or anything inbetween.
Two: Take a real-world language that nobody in your party understands, and map the language into a culture from your setting. Use words or names to name places, characters and concepts.
Three: The patrician way. Get into linguistics, construct a language and use that to come up with names.

Any good linguistics for dummies books to start from?

I've got better one: KISS

Pick any name you want and suits you from existing ones. Or slightly change the spelling.
Bam, problem solved, shitload of time saved, not a single person batting an eye

Google an introduction to phonology, that's the most basic stuff you need to know. I can highly recommend the conlanging forums incatena.org and aveneca.com/cbb. You'll find lots of introductory and advanced literature there.
I'm studying this shit though, so I don't really know any good linguistics for dummies type stuff. I got most information from wikipedia articles about certain languages and their grammar, which are fairly easy to understand and often represent recent findings.
Yeah, that's option 1 done smart pretty much.

It was literally linked in that URL you hopelessly stupid liberal.

>HURR
>LIBERALS
>DURR
I'm not even American, so this bears absolutely no meaning for me.

Thanks buddy

Fuck off then Captain Sweden.

Not all the foreign anons are from Sweden. At least two of us are from Australia.

It's an /int/ meme made by Finns and doesn't mean you're from Sweden only that you support leftist policies, tolerance, and other shit to the point of being detrimental to themselves like politicians in Sweden.

>get btfo'd multiple times
>keep arguing from a stance of superiority
lol

Yes
No
Maybe

>a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people...or the decentralization of power.
What is Reading Comprehension? Short of quoting Merriam-Webster outright, he defined egalitarian fairly well.

BASED Gygax.

Truly the world is ever darker without his wisdom.

Of coursh!

Just think. Without him there'd be no alignments.

>muh dik
t. the white guy that created that image

He sounds like a swell guy desu

And is it not the vast majority of the actual market for tabletop games?

Weird. I don't know how I missed those threads or his existence entirely. Maybe I've just gotten really good at subconsciously ignoring shit posts.

Gary Gygax was the God of Gaming Incarnate. My great regret in this life was that I never got to game with him.

;_;7

he does, he wrote the definition.

they just changed it in later editions, what he is saying is correct for an as written old style

I see it probably once or twice a week. Enough that I think "Oh, this shit again" every time.
Still not as bad as other spree shitposting, as at least we can get some interesting conversation out of it from time to time.

>He was designing dungeon grinders for people who preferred more of a simple and toned down game.
He designed them with tournament play in mind, but that doesn't really contradict your statement either.
He also wanted AD&D to be a strictly codified and curated ruleset for tournament and convention play, intending most home games to use B/X or BECMI. In hindsight it's of course all quite silly.

When it came to typical home games he encouraged more of a go-with-the-flow approach, even writing Dragon occasionally to give arguments against some published content designed to make the game "more realistic".

It's funny, as much as Gygax disliked 3.X's execution and finer points it actually ended up encouraging the same sort of core enthusiast community that he intended those quickly outmoded tourney ideas for.

Yep. It's no accident that he mentions OAD&D--given his positions elsewhere he's certainly speaking to a very specific definition of alignments.

This is my second favorite kind of tree. The Faggot Tree

What's your #1?